Police kill man in Maryland over red flag law

Not knowing what lead up to the cops knocking on this guys door makes it impossible to comment with any accuracy.
It's my understanding that was caused by the so called red flag laws, which are unconstitutional.

I was wondering what brought the cops to his door in the first place. Who squealed on him?
Pissed off ex wife? Some one he beat badly in a card game?
It doesn't matter with red flag laws.

There is no evidence and no trial needed just someone saying he scares me so I want his guns taken away.

Which was the point I was trying to make.
Any Joe blow could accuse any other.

And the accused is never even given notice of the hearing.

These laws are a flagrant and egregious end run around the Constitution

Not knowing what lead up to the cops knocking on this guys door makes it impossible to comment with any accuracy.
They were there to serve the red flag order and confiscate his firearms

If it turns out he was in his front yard threatening people the action would be justified.

There is no evidence of that

Thats just it,we dont know.
Which is why I said I wanted to know what lead the police to the guys door in the first place.

If it turns out he was in his front yard threatening people the action would be justified.

Which is why I said I wanted to know what lead the police to the guys door in the first place.
The article sad the police were there to confiscate his guns pursuant to the red flag order issued by a judge.

From what we know about red flag laws, all that is required is that some family member or other significant person in this man's life said he was a danger.

The accused is required to be notified of the hearing, no evidence is presented but for the opinion of the person applying for the order.

So this guy most likely did nothing illegal but he wound up dead anyway

He shouldn't have resisted or grabbed the gun. Where are all the people who always say that a person who is stopped by the cops should not resist and should not act in a threatening manner? Other people have been shot by cops for much less than what this guy did, and he did shoot.

He should have surrendered the gun and gone to court. We have to have some way of keeping the public safe from people who exhibit threatening or risky behavior. It is the people who are around a person the most who would know about someone's behavior. It's too late when the person harms someone else.

I am not aware that this law has been held to be unconstitutional.

The article sad the police were there to confiscate his guns pursuant to the red flag order issued by a judge.

From what we know about red flag laws, all that is required is that some family member or other significant person in this man's life said he was a danger.

The accused is required to be notified of the hearing, no evidence is presented but for the opinion of the person applying for the order.

So this guy most likely did nothing illegal but he wound up dead anyway

You're preaching to the choir.

It hasn't been, yet. It violates the 5th however and should be.

The Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides: No person shall ... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law ... ... [N]or shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law

One is not even aware of the judgement until the police are knocking. That's not right.

Y'all don't want crazy people to be able to purchase firearms unless you are crazy yourself. You don't trust the government to fairly enforce the law and you criticize Police Officers for protecting themselves so where does that leave us?

The Red Flag laws are designed to prevent crazy people from obtaining and possessing firearms. It's a reasonable compromise where family members and neighbors can report people who brandish weapons and seem incoherent. The law allows those people to state their case before a judge but it doesn't allow them to point a firearm at Police Officers. The system works.

I though “Innocent Until Proven Guilty” was a cornerstone of the US Legal System., These Red Flag laws assume guilt and force the defendant to prove innocence AFTER the punishment has already been handed down.

The Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides: No person shall ... be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law ... ... [N]or shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law

One is not even aware of the judgement until the police are knocking. That's not right.

Then go to court and get it back. You don't shoot it when the cops are serving you. This guy's bad judgment cost him his life. Another one for the Darwin Awards.

This Red Flag Law is going to be WAY abused (as any thinking person knew).

leftists will be calling to report gun owners left and right....for no other reason than to have them intimidated.

Fascists in blue (bad cops) will gladly do the honor.

There are VERY specific reasons and protections built into the Constitution. When people start circumventing them, all Liberty is lost.

The Red Flag laws are designed to prevent crazy people from obtaining and possessing firearms. It's a reasonable compromise where family members and neighbors can report people who brandish weapons and seem incoherent. The law allows those people to state their case before a judge but it doesn't allow them to point a firearm at Police Officers. The system works.

I though “Innocent Until Proven Guilty” was a cornerstone of the US Legal System., These Red Flag laws assume guilt and force the defendant to prove innocence AFTER the punishment has already been handed down.

All that will be required for evil men to disarm you...is for ~good men~ to do nothing. It's Guaranteed.

Next they will greatly expand the sources and circumstances under which you can be red flagged....posting anti-leftist comments on a forum for example. Step by step you will lose your right to bear arms.

It's so obvious that it's coming that Stevie Wonder can see it.

Then go to court and get it back. You don't shoot it when the cops are serving you. This guy's bad judgment cost him his life. Another one for the Darwin Awards.

I would have done the same thing as this guy.

Gun owners in Massachusetts have seen what “Let them take the guns and then get them back through the courts” leads to.... $35-45,000 worth of lost/stolen, damaged, and unaccounted for firearms, accessories and ammunition plus thousands of dollars of court costs and three years of his life from a single gun owner. His crime... moving back into the State with his wife and kids while being a gun owner.

No, Fuck the traitor police.

I would have done the same thing as this guy.

Gun owners in Massachusetts have seen what “Let them take the guns and then get them back through the courts” leads to.... $35-45,000 worth of lost/stolen, damaged, and unaccounted for firearms, accessories and ammunition plus thousands of dollars of court costs and three years of his life from a single gun owner. His crime... moving back into the State with his wife and kids while being a gun owner.

This is slowly going to become the norm rather than the exception.

Why?

All that is required for evil men to prevail is for ~good men~ to do nothing

(but then, "good men" would do something.)

And whose word will you take?
You do know that there is no such thing as a "corrupt cop" don't you?

Since this was just a scenario I hardly think that comes into play.
I still want to know what lead up to the cops being at his door.
Anonymous tip?
I mean whats the criteria when it comes to taking someones guns?

Forum List

Back