Police push open door claiming they don't need a Warrant

The police need a warrant and need to learn to respect the law they're to enforce.

My God. Somebody needs to cave that loud blowhole in for good. He didn't need a warrant to ask questions, he didn't force his way in. There's something seriously wrong with you cry babies.

If he was actually in pursuit of a suspect he most certainly can enter without a warrant.
He's probably lying though.

My God. Somebody needs to cave that loud blowhole in for good. He didn't need a warrant to ask questions, he didn't force his way in. There's something seriously wrong with you cry babies.
Hm. Them saying NO you aren't allowed in,HE pushes way in. Yep that's forcing his way in. Its illegal and in a SANE state he would be laying in a pool of his own blood and homeowners would be using the castle doctrine.

Hm. Them saying NO you aren't allowed in,HE pushes way in. Yep that's forcing his way in. Its illegal and in a SANE state he would be laying in a pool of his own blood and homeowners would be using the castle doctrine.
The video I saw he was in the doorway, not inside the apartment. That's NOT a reason for self defense, if you have guns, turn them in.

Don't need a warrant if an officer can see something illegal in plain sight. Or is responding to a call where something illegal is alledged and life or serious bodily injury may be occuring.

A few years back I thought a crazy ex was banging on my door so called 911 (since I didn't wanna put myself in the posiiton of maybe having to physically deter a female) and the responding officers were outside my apartment shining their light inside peering around. Knowing what he was doing I just invited him inside.

Long story short, wasn't an ex but a girl who in her drunken stupour had the wrong apartment. When she and I finally saw each other I calmly informed the officer, "that's not my ex." Cop did an amusing double-take and eveyrone laughed. "Sorry about this guys. Gonna make a funny story though." :)

Trouble with one-night stands peering through a peephole you're just not really sure who the heck that is. :)

The video I saw he was in the doorway, not inside the apartment. That's NOT a reason for self defense, if you have guns, turn them in.
You obviously didn't watch entire video then.He busted his way in to the apartment and assaulted the girl.

You obviously didn't watch entire video then.He busted his way in to the apartment and assaulted the girl.
I didn't watch it to the end but I guess I will. The water buffalo needed a beat down.

I didn't watch it to the end but I guess I will. The water buffalo needed a beat down.

Shouldnt you like, I dont know, see things before presenting an opinion?

"Assaults the girl"?? Sorry I didn't see that. I saw an officer who apparently believed the felon they were pursuing was in the apartment, and two-three young women with chips on their shoulders and frankly behaving very much like they had something to hide.

That said, I would encourage those young ladies to take their case to court, because the felon was apparently /not/ in the apartment and perhaps it was an illegal entrance (I am unaware of the actual laws where that was taken as they do vary), they might win their case and institute a change in policies for the police department, or at a minimum, induce said officer for training on the specifics of that city/states particular laws. Of course, I have a feeling that the women's action itself only exasperated the officer's belief that they were hiding the felon, and may, in fact, excuse any 'unlawful' entry in a court of law.

Regardless, the officer was patient and polite throughout the situation; which in the bigger picture is a far better option than to over-emotionally react as the young ladies did.

I'd actually be quite curious to know more specifics on the case. I find myself torn between the individual right to freedom of privacy and the supposed pursuing of a felon into a private home... On the surface, I revert to, "I have nothing to hide, so feel free to come in and look around," but at the same time I do not feel that officers should be able to enter anyone's home at their whim either. Of course, if they were pursuing a felon, I'd obviously want said felon caught... Its a bit of a moral conundrum and I'm actually not quite sure where I stand on it.

I saw an officer who apparently believed the felon they were pursuing was in the apartment, and two-three young women with chips on their shoulders and frankly behaving very much like they had something to hide.

Wow so forget all about rights and stuff...they have chips on their shoulders like, who would be upset at someone busting into their homes?

Really tho?

Do you deny that their behavior may have influenced the officers decision to insist upon entry?

Regardless if you agree with the legality of this particular case or not - the reality is that ones behavior does indeed have an effect on what happens around oneself. A fact that seems to have been forgotten in this new age of zero responsibility.

Whether that particular incident of entry was legal or not is a question for the courts and I'd be very curious, as I said, to know the outcome of it.

Forum List

Back