Polio VS Corona

Incredible, I have no idea what was going on in 1960 overall. Politically. But we didn't shut down over it politically or business wise. Polio was way worse, kiddos. WAY WORSE.

Coronavirus is just not meeting the projections that the "models" set for it. Not even close. Billy Cunningham on the radio tonight is talking about it.

Incredible, I have no idea what was going on in 1960 overall. Politically. But we didn't shut down over it politically or business wise. Polio was way worse, kiddos. WAY WORSE.
Was it the measles or the mumps back then that you needed to stay in the dark........Because it could cause blindness............My brother lost some of his vision from it.............think it was the measles........

Coronavirus is just not meeting the projections that the "models" set for it. Not even close. Billy Cunningham on the radio tonight is talking about it.
I am still going to wear my mask at Walmart , just in case its worse than the polio outbreak or the influenza of 1918.

I am still going to wear my mask at Walmart , just in case its worse than the polio outbreak or the influenza of 1918.
I just went to a smaller grocery store and there was only 8 people in the whole store......lol.

Walmart is crazy right now. The store was Greers..........and it was stocked with everything but TP......eggs were crazy priced though.

My sister, the real Mary L, whom I adore, and is a real sweetheart, is making masks on her singer sewing machine to give away. She's my hero.

I'm a retiree and I applied for a job at Walmart, so I can be considered "essential". The truth is that I don't need the money, but its like having a job in prison is better than being on lockdown.

Polio was around when I was young and visited my cousin in his ward
Then the excitement on TV and radio about Dr Jonas Salk. He’s as much contributory to planetary life as anybody

Then the excitement on TV and radio about Dr Jonas Salk. He’s as much contributory to planetary life as anybody

Dr. Salk tested his polio vaccine not far from here in Polk Center, Venango County, PA. Tested it on mentally retarded children in a state owned facility. They probably wouldn't allow that today.

I remember taking the sugar cubes and the air gun shot inoculations outside of school. But our society didn't curl up in a ball and shut down, either.

I grew up in the late 50's early sixties. Polio. It was scary and much worse. The economy wasn't shut down then, why this hysteria NOW?
No, it wasn’t.

The polio vaccine was successfully tested in 1953.

If you grew up during the late 50s, you grew up in an America absent the threat of polio.

That’s why.
It took s while to get out to
I remember taking the sugar cubes and the air gun shot inoculations outside of school. But our society didn't curl up in a ball and shut down, either.
How about that. Nasty stuff polio, not many mild cases.
Seeing withered limbs was not rare and it got worse from there. There used to be pictures around but haven’t seen one in a long time

Dr. Salk tested his polio vaccine not far from here in Polk Center, Venango County, PA. Tested it on mentally retarded children in a state owned facility. They probably wouldn't allow that today.
You are near an honorable place
I found out 40 years later that parents of newborns in 52 and 53 we asked to participate in trials

BECAUSE THERE WAS THE INOCULATION.

HELOOOO??? TAP TAP THIS THING ON??

Covid19 kills mostly old unhealthy people, like those that hold public office in Washington DC.
Polio killed mostly children.
That is the difference.Children didnt and still don't hold public office.

I grew up in the late 50's early sixties. Polio. It was scary and much worse. The economy wasn't shut down then, why this hysteria NOW?

If you grew up in the late '50s you already had a vaccine for polio. Its last wave was around 1952, when Joni Mitchell and Neil Young contracted it.
I knew kids in the mid sixties that had polio, well after the vaccine was introduced. But you overlooked the point...the world economy didn't melt down, people didn't shelter in place. What the hell is going on here?

Depending on the time some things were shut down and I can remember where I lived some things were shut down.

Was it the measles or the mumps back then that you needed to stay in the dark........Because it could cause blindness............My brother lost some of his vision from it.............think it was the measles........

It was measles my mom made all of us wear sunglasses when myself and siblings had it.

"
We lost 9,000 jobs during the 2007-2009 Great Recession.

We've lost 10,000 jobs in two weeks.

And Trump is totally over-matched by this economic crisis.

He has no plan to save us. No ideas. No new programs. All the initiatives so far have come from Congress."

We had a polio scare in our town when i was in 1st grade. we were given little cups of syrupy vaccine in school and couldn't go to the drugstore in town to buy comic book for some time. That was in NC in 1965

Image result for How is polio spread from person to person?
www.verywellhealth.com

The polio virus usually enters the environment in the feces of someone who is infected. In areas with poor sanitation, the virus easily spreads from feces into the water supply, or, by touch, into food. In addition, because polio is so contagious, direct contact with a person infected with the virus can cause polio.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back