Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom enemy

I always find these stories about right wingers who supposedly had these wonderful plans until ObamaCare came along to be a little dubious.

If you are half as talented as you claim, you should have no problem finding a job where you can get a decent HMO.

If it wasn't for government, I would. Also my age works against me as well. Most employers would rather hire younger people who are less of a burden to their health insurance plans. The way things are going, government may force me out of work entirely.

Not the point at all. You see, the thing is, until recently, this really wasn't an issue. Every election between 1892 and 1996, the guy who won the popular vote won the electoral college. The people did not get a president a majority were dead set against. Heck, I'll even give you a mulligan on Bush, because that was pretty close and he got re-elected legitimately in 2004.

This time. The people CLEARLY said no 2.5 million more people voted For Hillary. TEN MILLION more people voted against Trump than for him.

So how is it our fault that Democrats congregated in big cities across the USA and not out in the country? Those big cities have the welfare office right around the corner and the Democrats Mayors make it convenient for them not to work. Plus with all these illegals polluting our country, we don't know what Americans really wanted. The only way to solve that problem is for Trump to make Voter-ID mandatory for federal elections across the country. But of course you liberals would protest that, and in the same breath, claim you're concerned about the integrity of our election process.

You are incorrect.

And the show was good clean silly fun, and was a huge hit.

The flag? Accepted by America of the 1980s as a harmless symbol of regional pride, without comment. Not celebrating monsters.

This hysteria of yours is just a manifestation of your hatred of southern whites, racist.

Good clean fun, where they had to excise the only black character after the pilot because... AWKWARD.

Kind of like if you had a fun show about the White Trash with the Swastika on the hood of their car, you might want to write out the Jewish Character.

"What happened to Goldstein?"

"Don't know, but someone left his lovely lampshade."

They did not "excise the only black character".

Yes. Good clean fun. Car chases. Daisy Duke in short shorts. Bows and arrows with sticks of dynamite on the arrows.

And the nation as a whole had no problem with the presentation of the Confederate Flag as a harmless symbol of regional pride.

Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom enemy | Moira Weigel

Throughout an erratic campaign, Trump consistently blasted political correctness, blaming it for an extraordinary range of ills and using the phrase to deflect any and every criticism. During the first debate of the Republican primaries, Fox News host Megyn Kelly asked Trump how he would answer the charge that he was “part of the war on women”.

“You’ve called women you don’t like ‘fat pigs,’ ‘dogs,’ ‘slobs,’ and ‘disgusting animals’,” Kelly pointed out. “You once told a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees …”

“I think the big problem this country has is being politically correct,” Trump answered, to audience applause. “I’ve been challenged by so many people, I don’t frankly have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn’t have time either.”

Surely PC is another word for good manners ?

I'll give you a taste.

It is politically correct to protest the election of an orange man, but not a black man. It is OK to torch a city because Trump was elected, but imagine what would happen if that was done when Obama was elected. Children in schools across California skipped class in protest, but if they had done that when Obama was elected they would all be labeled racist.

I guess orange really is the new black. It's Ok to discriminate against orange people but not black people.

Going back to the original point of the thread, before it was hijacked:

Another interesting tactic of the PC zealots is to pretend, as the thread claims, that "there is no such thing as PC".

What this feeble strategy attempts to do is ignore the fact that we (and every other country on the planet) assign words to groups of identifiable behaviors.

So the term "Political Correctness", while its roots are in the days of Stalin (oops!), merely refers to groups of behaviors that we all know exist.

The PC zealots don't want you to think about that, because they know their religion is under effective assault.

Too bad.

Last edited:
It's quality is off topic. It got very high, NATIONWIDE, ratings from a viewing population, that happily accepted the Confederate Flag as a harmless symbol of regional pride.

YOur hysteria notwithstanding.

We used to accept a lot of things on TV in the past. Let's look at them now.

You can't equate the America of the 40s with the America of the 80s.

If the Flag was seen as racist, in the 80s, there would have been a huge outcry. It was presented as, and accepted as, a harmless symbol of regional pride.

Because that is what it had become accepted as by the wider national population, generations ago.

It's quality is off topic. It got very high, NATIONWIDE, ratings from a viewing population, that happily accepted the Confederate Flag as a harmless symbol of regional pride.

YOur hysteria notwithstanding.

We used to accept a lot of things on TV in the past. Let's look at them now.

If the Flag was seen as racist, in the 80s, there would have been a huge outcry. It was presented as, and accepted as, a harmless symbol of regional pride.

Because that is what it had become accepted as by the wider national population, generations ago.

To some on the federal left; all the Confederate flags prove, is that Only well regulated militias of the United States, may not be Infringed when keeping and bearing Arms for their more perfect State and more perfect Union.

If it wasn't for government, I would. Also my age works against me as well. Most employers would rather hire younger people who are less of a burden to their health insurance plans. The way things are going, government may force me out of work entirely.

Right. It's the government. Not the fact you are a racist asshole who is frankly, kind of scary.

If you come off 1/10th as racist and violent as you come off here, HR Departments probably run in terror from you.

So how is it our fault that Democrats congregated in big cities across the USA and not out in the country? Those big cities have the welfare office right around the corner and the Democrats Mayors make it convenient for them not to work. Plus with all these illegals polluting our country, we don't know what Americans really wanted. The only way to solve that problem is for Trump to make Voter-ID mandatory for federal elections across the country. But of course you liberals would protest that, and in the same breath, claim you're concerned about the integrity of our election process.

Well, let's look at that.

The thing is, the rural areas are living fat on the Government Welfare State. The GOP talks about welfare, they don't mean ending farm subsidies or rural electrification or any of things that benefit Cleetus and his cousin/wife Sally June.

But to the point, it's been Conservatives who've opposed the idea of a national ID or a national standard of voting rights. Probably because you'd get rid of such stupidity as revoking the voting rights of the millions of people who have been convicted of some minor crime.

Well, no. You see, between 1865 and the 1960's, not a lot of people displayed the "Confederate Flag" (Please note, the flag we are talking about was never actually used by anyone, it's more of a stylized version of some battle flags.) Then in the 1960's, when them there uppity black folks started demanding htings like the right to vote and not being lynched for looking at a white woman the wrong way, some of you inbred, redneck assholes decided to start flying the confederate flag.

Just like the Nazi flag wasn't popular with racists until long after WWII.

So, yeah, I can guess you can argue that the Confederate flag on the General Lee wasn't clearly offensive... if you're stupid.

Today, we know- yeah, that's realy fucking offensive, which is why you'll never see a rerun of the Dukes of Hazard again..

Another interesting tactic of the PC zealots is to pretend, as the thread claims, that "there is no such thing as PC".

What this feeble strategy attempts to do is pretend that we don't assign names to groups of identifiable behaviors.

So the term "Political Correctness", while its roots are in the days of Stalin (oops!), merely refers to groups of behaviors that we all know exist.

The PC zealots don't want you to think about that, because they know their religion is under effective assault.

But that wasn't your original premise. Your original premise was that White Folks are soooo tired of Political Correctness (i.e., not being an asshole) that they elected Trump.

Except Trump lost by 10 million votes. But those white people were really upset. Even though less of htem voted for Trump.

What this feeble strategy attempts to do is pretend that we don't assign names to groups of identifiable behaviors.

But that wasn't your original premise. Your original premise was that White Folks are soooo tired of Political Correctness (i.e., not being an asshole) that they elected Trump.

Except Trump lost by 10 million votes. But those white people were really upset. Even though less of htem voted for Trump.
just insist we have to indulge your right wing fantasy, because we lost the election.

Well, no. You see, between 1865 and the 1960's, not a lot of people displayed the "Confederate Flag" (Please note, the flag we are talking about was never actually used by anyone, it's more of a stylized version of some battle flags.) Then in the 1960's, when them there uppity black folks started demanding htings like the right to vote and not being lynched for looking at a white woman the wrong way, some of you inbred, redneck assholes decided to start flying the confederate flag.

Just like the Nazi flag wasn't popular with racists until long after WWII.

So, yeah, I can guess you can argue that the Confederate flag on the General Lee wasn't clearly offensive... if you're stupid.

Today, we know- yeah, that's realy fucking offensive, which is why you'll never see a rerun of the Dukes of Hazard again..

From what's I've read the Flag was always there in the various veterans and historical societies and started coming into wider usage during AND immediately after WWII.

It's usage by racists, much like the usage of the America flag by racists,was an attempt to appeal/co-opt regional pride and patriotism.

Your view that it was a racist symbol is impossible considering the easy acceptance of it as a harmless symbol of regional pride by the sympathetic main characters of the show.

Why does the right wing believe racism is important, to the sole surviving species in the Homo genus?

We don't.
just the extreme and fantastical, right wing?

NOpe.
why does it seem to come up so often, if there is no support from the right wing?

Because it has tremendous utility to the LEFT wing, as a weapon to be used to smear their enemies.

YOu should read this, written by a fellow lefty.

You Are Still Crying Wolf

"I avoided pushing this point any more since last October because I didn’t want to look like I was supporting Trump, or accidentally convince anyone else to support Trump. I think Trump’s election is a disaster. He has no plan, he’s dangerously trigger-happy, and his unilateralism threatens aid to developing countries, one of the most effective ways we currently help other people. I thought and still think a Trump presidency will be a disaster."

Oh, so now it's 10 million? Where did that other 7.5 million come from?

Trump wiped the stage in the primaries. He beat out every other candidate with a new record of voter turnout. Yes, his anti-PC is very attractive to many people including myself. Trump talked about politics the way family members do, the way the people at the bar do, the way coworkers do. While there is no possible way to prove that, I believe that's what made him our nominee and eventual President.

Forum List

Back