🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Politico lies about Ben Carson

A West Point spokesperson told Politico that it is possible Carson spoke with the general, but records provided by the Army showed Westmoreland did not visit Detroit on the day Carson wrote about.

As recently as Aug. 13, Carson wrote on Facebook during his weekly Facebook chat that he was "thrilled to get an offer from West Point" but said he only applied to Yale.

Bill, that is true. I was the highest student ROTC member in Detroit and was thrilled to get an offer from West Point. But I knew medicine is what I wanted to do. So I applied to only one school. (it was all the money I had). I applied to Yale and thank God they accepted me. I often wonder what might have happened had they said no.
More: Ben Carson Campaign Admits Claim Of West Point Acceptance Is False

Holy shit, Army records showed that General Westmoreland was not even in Detroit on the day Carson wrote about.

The only "scandal" here is that maybe he got some dates wrong.

I have another much better thread going on this topic already. So I've commented on the better thread.

Go there for grown-up commentary without the OP's idiocy:

Politico: Carson lied about admission to West Point. | Page 49 | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

The thing is this: What this underscores more than anything else beyond the details is that politics is a profession folks. Apparently, the Carson folks thought that they needed to comment on this. I think most high school kids would have had the political chops to come back and laugh in the face of any commentator:

"Look Wolf (Blitzer). I got it wrong in my book. The military academies do not offer scholarships. They do basically copy what a scholarship is though so me and my editor were happy with that. As fort the date, hell, it was 40 years ago. Can you remember the exact day someone said something to you when you were 18?". Instead, the Carson camp gave it oxygen, life, and now have made it worse.

Frankly, the grain-in-the-pyramid story is more damaging to Ben than this. They may have tried a Wag-the-Dog maneuver to drain oxygen away from that bit of idiocy. I doubt it.

A West Point spokesperson told Politico that it is possible Carson spoke with the general, but records provided by the Army showed Westmoreland did not visit Detroit on the day Carson wrote about.

As recently as Aug. 13, Carson wrote on Facebook during his weekly Facebook chat that he was "thrilled to get an offer from West Point" but said he only applied to Yale.

Bill, that is true. I was the highest student ROTC member in Detroit and was thrilled to get an offer from West Point. But I knew medicine is what I wanted to do. So I applied to only one school. (it was all the money I had). I applied to Yale and thank God they accepted me. I often wonder what might have happened had they said no.

Holy shit, Army records showed that General Westmoreland was not even in Detroit on the day Carson wrote about.

I have another much better thread going on this topic already. So I've commented on the better thread.

Politico: Carson lied about admission to West Point. | Page 49 | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

The thing is this: What this underscores more than anything else beyond the details is that politics is a profession folks. Apparently, the Carson folks thought that they needed to comment on this. I think most high school kids would have had the political chops to come back and laugh in the face of any commentator:

"Look Wolf (Blitzer). I got it wrong in my book. The military academies do not offer scholarships. They do basically copy what a scholarship is though so me and my editor were happy with that. As fort the date, hell, it was 40 years ago. Can you remember the exact day someone said something to you when you were 18?". Instead, the Carson camp gave it oxygen, life, and now have made it worse.

Frankly, the grain-in-the-pyramid story is more damaging to Ben than this. They may have tried a Wag-the-Dog maneuver to drain oxygen away from that bit of idiocy. I doubt it.

carson said he was offered a full scholarship to west point. what actually happened is the head of his ROTC said "I think I can get you nominated".

he never got carson nominated. nor was carson ever appointed.

his story is a lie at worst, misleading at the absolute best.

it really shouldn't be defended.

carson said he was offered a full scholarship to west point. what actually happened is the head of his ROTC said "I think I can get you nominated".

Well, I'm not defending some of it. Other parts, yeah.

Look, if Tara Vanderveer (Stanford BB coach) sits down with an 17 y/o guard and says, "You got a free-ride to Stanford if you want it", that is an offer. Tara wants this guard, the offer will be made. If Gen Westmoreland made such an offer, that is defacto an offer . Now Stanford's formal offer would come from the college the student enrolls in; medicine, journalism, etc... West Point's "free ride" offer will come from the Commandant or whomever. But Tara and the General's overture are offers.

I'm defending Carson insofar as a confusion between "scholarship" and free ride. Or not knowing the precise dates when he met someone 40 years ago.

My question is why the campaign didn't just laugh it off--let the media cover it all weekend for some free media and then come out Monday with an explanation that most people would just shrug at.

Only in Republicanland can one of their own actually admit they fabricated the story and it doesn't stop Republicanland from pretending that fact away and sticking with the lie.

Look, if Tara Vanderveer (Stanford BB coach) sits down with an 17 y/o guard and says, "You got a free-ride to Stanford if you want it", that is an offer. Tara wants this guard, the offer will be made. If Gen Westmoreland made such an offer, that is defacto an offer . Now Stanford's formal offer would come from the college the student enrolls in; medicine, journalism, etc... West Point's "free ride" offer will come from the Commandant or whomever. But Tara and the General's overture are offers.

I'm defending Carson insofar as a confusion between "scholarship" and free ride. Or not knowing the precise dates when he met someone 40 years ago.

My question is why the campaign didn't just laugh it off--let the media cover it all weekend for some free media and then come out Monday with an explanation that most people would just shrug at.

i heard that argument. but it isn't what happened. ROTC leader says "i think i can get you recommended to west point".

he says 'thanks but no thanks'.

he never applied. he was never accepted.

and every person who gets into west point goes for free so the scholarship story was nonsense, too.

it was an outright lie.

"There's just one problem with Politico's story - neither Carson's book nor Carson's campaign has ever claimed that he applied to or was accepted to West Point. In fact, they have both consistently said that he did not ever apply to West Point. The relevant passage from his book is abundantly clear that he never had interest in attending West Point and never applied to do so:"

Politico Outright Lies about Ben Carson | RedState

When all else fails, refer to a right wing blog.
It's all on video straight from the horse ass's mouth, Carson saying he was offered a scholarship.
Give up while you are behind.

Nonsense. They offered to get him into West Point using the terminology of "scholarship". He wasn't interested, it's a non issue. If this is all the loser left can come up with against him, he's in good shape.

Nonsense. They offered to get him into West Point using the terminology of "scholarship". He wasn't interested, it's a non issue. If this is all the loser left can come up with against him, he's in good shape.

loony toon. they DIDN'T get him in. they said they "thought" they could.

he lied. but ... he's a rightwingnut theocrat, so you don't care.

CBS has video tonight of him stumbling whether he was "13 or 14" when he tried to stab his friend. Then he said, "...what else?" to the reporters and they filled in the gap of when he tried to hit his mother over the head with a hammer and he replied, "Oh yeah, that was about the same time".

Trying to keep your lies straight is a bitch. Trump is right, this is a first in political history, trying to gain cred by claiming acts of criminal violence. The GOP has fallen into an astounding low state. Only incredibly stupid people could follow this bunch of fucking idiots.

i heard that argument. but it isn't what happened. ROTC leader says "i think i can get you recommended to west point".

he says 'thanks but no thanks'.

he never applied. he was never accepted.

and every person who gets into west point goes for free so the scholarship story was nonsense, too.

it was an outright lie.

If you wish to characterize it that way, you can. When I see Carson, I see a guy trying to sell books, doesn't know the first thing about being President, and who is probably a decent, honest, engaging, and charitable guy. He's as out of place in a political race as a whale in a lake but Pat Robertson was just as ill suited in 1988 or whenever it was he ran.

Perhaps he had some devious intent. I don't see him doing that.

I've never seen so many racists in all my life.

Doesn't matter who creates a shit storm for themselves, if they put something in writing then they better brace themselves for inspection by the press. Carson's least problem is his race. He is his own worst enemy.

Forum List

Back