POLL: How Bout An Official Gesture Of Atonement For Past Sins Against African Americans?...

Would You Support An Official Government-Sponsored Gesture Of Atonement To African Americans

• Yes

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 89.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you vote GOP, you're a functional moron. Trump wants lower taxes on the rich and a Trump Network.

If you vote for Trump or Clinton you are an absolute moron. Neither one gives a rats behind about the average American family, they are to busy lying to their constituents and BSing, while kissing the rich people's asses. Uniformed dupes.
So,,are you voting for Trump? Or hitlery?

Neither, I'm looking for a third candidate. I can't in good conscience vote for either person. I like Trump but he is not Presidential material.
So you're voting hitlery....brilliant.....

Nope, voting third candidate.

If you vote GOP, you're a functional moron. Trump wants lower taxes on the rich and a Trump Network.

If you vote for Trump or Clinton you are an absolute moron. Neither one gives a rats behind about the average American family, they are to busy lying to their constituents and BSing, while kissing the rich people's asses. Uniformed dupes.

Neither, I'm looking for a third candidate. I can't in good conscience vote for either person. I like Trump but he is not Presidential material.

Yep...hitlery....she really appreciates your support....

I see what the history books report, it calls Breckenridge a Southern Democrat and Douglas as a pro-slavery Democrat, Bell was a middle road, not take a stand on the issue. Lincoln was anti-slavery.

Take it or leave it because you have failed to make any points. Beckenridge was listed as a Democrat and then a Southern Democrat. In 1956 Buchanan won all the southern states.

You have yet to disprove either statement, though you claim they aren't true.

I hate to break this to ya but Buchanan won no states at all in 1956. He was dead. And a hundred years before, as already repeatedly noted, he was effectively the only candidate in the South. Your option to show us how Millard Fillmore was a viable competitor is still on the table. Untouched.

And then there's 1860 and the mysterious uppercase letter you put in your own posts without getting the significance thereof. I need a history lesson from no one on this, thanks. You can't even comprehend the idea of a separate political party. Go look up the US political parties of the 19th century if you actually think that a political party has to last a century, or whatever it is you think in this utterly irrational tangent of yours.

Just for the sake of clarification, Douglas was wishy-washy on slavery; that's exactly why the Southerners who walked out and struck out on their own rejected him. After being defeated he worked with Lincoln to try to preserve the Union for the brief period he was alive. Bell was from a Whig/Know Nothing base, the former of which was also wishy-washy (that's why that party disintegrated) and the latter of which chose to ignore the question hoping it would go away. Breckinridge and Lincoln were of course unequivocal, representing opposite sides but at least taking a position. Actually Lincoln made some contradictory statements on the issue but his new political party had a position.

None of this is relevant to the fact of separate political candidates from separate parties, but it does demonstrate the superficiality of your homework. You get an "E", and that doesn't mean excellent.

Buchanan won all the states in the south, did he not? Breckenridge ran as a Southern Democrat, did he not?

Bottom line, you lose.

Buchanan ran in the South effectively unopposed, did he not?

And yes, Breckinridge ran as a Southern Democrat -- with a capital S. Not as a "Democrat". Because as we know by now, Stephen Douglas had that position. That's history and you can't change it. You don't get to just make it up.

This is where you fucked up:
Breckinridge a Democrat won 72 electoral votes. Douglas won Missouri.

Wrong wrong wrong. Douglas was the Democrat; Breckinridge was the Southern Democrat.
One party.... another party. I even put them in different colors to dumb it down for you.

Bottom line, history wins, revisionists with no point fail to score.

Yes, they were both democrats. Thank you!

Not in that election they weren't. No more than John Anderson and Ronald Reagan were both "Republicans" 120 years later. No more than Jefferson was a "Republican" because it was part of his unrelated party name. No more than Saddam Hussein's "Republican Guard" were part of that party either simply on account of using the same term. You're presenting a basic Peewee Herman argument. No political party ever runs multiple candidates against itself. That's fucking stupid.

Drop it. You've embarrassed yourself beyond repair.

I dropped it long ago and you have failed to prove anything. You look silly and now you aren't even entertaining any more.

Sorry.....there is some upside to Trump...he might just appoint justices who will uphold the Constitution.....hilary will appoint 100% hard core leftists who will begin dismantling the rule of law.......there is no doubt about hilary's intentions on this......

rofl.gif

Ah, the power of partisan hack self-delusion. :rolleyes:

I got yer "no doubt" right here pal.

Howzat for "upholding the Constitution", Gummo? This asshole can't even take the oath of office.

Would you support it? Do you think it would help heal the deep wounds? Maybe an official Government-sponsored acknowledgement and atonement could lead to reconciliation.

Most African Americans still feel anger and sorrow over how they've been treated. It does seem like an open festering wound. Maybe a kind official gesture could help African Americans forgive and get some kind of closure. What do you think?

400,000 Americans died to end slavery. Trillions have been spent on programs and welfare galore since 1965. That's atonement enough.

Sorry but that's naive. Lincoln wasn't fighting over slavery; he was fighting over the concept of "union".
Slavery was merely part of the catalyst that created that condition. But the issue was the split, i.e. political.

I know, but once Lincoln saw the opportunity to get rid of slavery once and for all, he did so. All those bluecoats who died to bring the southern states back into the fold also ended up dying to remove slavery in the process.

They deserve some recognition and thanks from blacks today.

Yep...hitlery....she really appreciates your support....

That is your opinion.

Would you support it? Do you think it would help heal the deep wounds? Maybe an official Government-sponsored acknowledgement and atonement could lead to reconciliation.

Most African Americans still feel anger and sorrow over how they've been treated. It does seem like an open festering wound. Maybe a kind official gesture could help African Americans forgive and get some kind of closure. What do you think?

400,000 Americans died to end slavery. Trillions have been spent on programs and welfare galore since 1965. That's atonement enough.

Sorry but that's naive. Lincoln wasn't fighting over slavery; he was fighting over the concept of "union".
Slavery was merely part of the catalyst that created that condition. But the issue was the split, i.e. political.

I know, but once Lincoln saw the opportunity to get rid of slavery once and for all, he did so. All those bluecoats who died to bring the southern states back into the fold also ended up dying to remove slavery in the process.

Well, no. Slavery wasn't outlawed until after Lincoln was dead. The war didn't do it.

Well, no. Slavery wasn't outlawed until after Lincoln was dead. The war didn't do it.

The war gave the Radical Republicans the ability to push the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments through and the Emancipation Proclamation gave the northern states some moral stance to keep the war going, even though it didn't free any slaves.

"We're freeing men from bondage" as a mission statement reads a lot better in the papers than "We're like the mob: blood in, blood out."

The slavery amendments might not have been ratified until after Lincoln got shot, but they never would have been brought up if the war hadn't happened.

The war gave the Radical Republicans the ability to push the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments through and the Emancipation Proclamation gave the northern states some moral stance to keep the war going, even though it didn't free any slaves.

"We're freeing men from bondage" as a mission statement reads a lot better in the papers than "We're like the mob: blood in, blood out."

The slavery amendments might not have been ratified until after Lincoln got shot, but they never would have been brought up if the war hadn't happened.

I think they would. That was the whole point of the Republican Party's formation; it was their agenda. At the time anyway.

The war though was over whether a political entity could be split or not. And those rumblings went back decades earlier; they didn't just pop up in 1860.

Obama has been totally blocked DUH. What we have is the basic strength of the US economy, and no GOP corrupt bubble. But things could be a lot better if Obama could pass any of the usual solutions for this GOP pander to the rich mess: higher min wage, infrastructure jobs bill, cut payroll tax, raise taxes on the bloated rich and giant corps, cheap college and training for 3-6 MILLION tech jobs that can't be filled- for YEARS now...

Correct, that's exactly what he would do, and that would run us into the mid 20 trillion dollar debt range, cost a lot of jobs, increase college costs even more kill the already struggling programs like Medicare and SS, and chase even more companies out of the US.

That's why you never vote for Democrat leadership.
These are just typical solutions anyone but the New BS GOP and its dupes would be for. We could actually lift the whole world out of this mess. Only we can. Keep screwing around long enough and we could collapse it again. Strangely, dupe, cutting taxes on the rich is not the only solution.

Obama has been totally blocked DUH. What we have is the basic strength of the US economy, and no GOP corrupt bubble. But things could be a lot better if Obama could pass any of the usual solutions for this GOP pander to the rich mess: higher min wage, infrastructure jobs bill, cut payroll tax, raise taxes on the bloated rich and giant corps, cheap college and training for 3-6 MILLION tech jobs that can't be filled- for YEARS now...

Correct, that's exactly what he would do, and that would run us into the mid 20 trillion dollar debt range, cost a lot of jobs, increase college costs even more kill the already struggling programs like Medicare and SS, and chase even more companies out of the US.

These are just typical solutions anyone but the New BS GOP and its dupes would be for. We could actually lift the whole world out of this mess. Only we can. Keep screwing around long enough and we could collapse it again. Strangely, dupe, cutting taxes on the rich is not the only solution.
How many jobs do you think the poor will make if we cut their taxes?

Lincoln didn't free a single slave.

The Civil War was all about slavery, and after 1863 slavery was over if the North won, despite details you guys go on about forever...

A lot of people can't. Why are we the only modern country without free or very cheap college? Thanks GOP!

Who are the colleges run by again? That's right, liberals. And those profit colleges are averaging a 20% profit margin. I would have no complaints if I could only invest money there.
Not the administrators. And online colleges are pure GOP scams. Boooshies changed laws to make them possible just in time to screw returning GIs. Your party is a disgrace, dupe.
Don't obamaloans fund them?
STILL too expensive. And GOP won't pass them.
One need to look no further than the federal government for the cause of rising college tuition.
Colleges have no incentive to control costs because the schools are sucking off the taxpayer tit.

We're dying for demand now, and btw small business is the real job producer, not your rich a-hole paper shufflers, dupe. The rich have have had money coming out of their ears for years thanks to bought off GOP Pols and pundits and you GOP dupes/ morons...

We're dying for demand now, and btw small business is the real job producer, not your rich a-hole paper shufflers, dupe. The rich have have had money coming out of their ears for years thanks to bought off GOP Pols and pundits and you GOP dupes/ morons...
So, how may jobs do you think the poor will make?

Let's try this again for the public school challenged like yourself:

I posted a video of Donald Trump saying he thinks we should raise taxes on the rich.

I posted evidence (in another topic) how the GOP did increase taxes on the rich last time they addressed taxation.

The problem with you uninformed voters is that you are brainwashed. In spite of facts, you keep insisting that Republicans cut taxes for the rich. So do tell, when was the last time Republicans did this?

If lying were illegal in this country, the liberals could have no debate.

A lot of people can't. Why are we the only modern country without free or very cheap college? Thanks GOP!

Who are the colleges run by again? That's right, liberals. And those profit colleges are averaging a 20% profit margin. I would have no complaints if I could only invest money there.
Not the administrators. And online colleges are pure GOP scams. Boooshies changed laws to make them possible just in time to screw returning GIs. Your party is a disgrace, dupe.
Don't obamaloans fund them?
STILL too expensive. And GOP won't pass them.
One need to look no further than the federal government for the cause of rising college tuition.
Colleges have no incentive to control costs because the schools are sucking off the taxpayer tit.
You think free free community colleges and public U's might be good competition? Public U's costs doubled just under W, and the GOP changed laws to make their pals' scam online U's possible. The more you know- no one making under 250k would vote GOP.

Let's try this again for the public school challenged like yourself:

I posted a video of Donald Trump saying he thinks we should raise taxes on the rich.

I posted evidence (in another topic) how the GOP did increase taxes on the rich last time they addressed taxation.

The problem with you uninformed voters is that you are brainwashed. In spite of facts, you keep insisting that Republicans cut taxes for the rich. So do tell, when was the last time Republicans did this?

If lying were illegal in this country, the liberals could have no debate.
Hilariously ironic. All private schooled actually- I loved Henry II and Edsel- Trump has said everything at one time or another, he backed WAYYY off that.

In the eighties, if you don't count all the non fed income taxes and the loopholes they've added for the rich...they were dragged kicking and screaming the last time the rich tax rates went up BARELY, and got all kinds of stuff in return. You have got to be kidding.