Poll: Percent of Christians drop, those identifying as "none" soars

Holli has no point is the point. I have no trouble with reason at all and am a big proponent of critical thinking. I simply pointed out that the French revolutionaries and others tried to replace God with Reason. Did not work well.

Of course she had a point. And I quote:
"Atheism has no agenda of attracting converts. That's the domain of religions."

That's got nothing to do with political movements, French or elsewhere. It's a simple observation of what does not exist within a certain non-belief.

And yet we see billboards, holiday displays, etc. The purpose of advertising is to sell something.

Yeah it is. To sell you something you don't need.
--- And?

And.... that belies the claim that "Atheism has no agenda of attracting converts." That was the point, but the point was clearly false.

I don't follow.
What's the nature of advertising got to do with atheism?

Oh no, I'm not buying you are that obtuse. Please....

The only thing more obnoxious than a religious zealot is a militant atheist.:lol:

"Militant atheist" is a bit like... "loud reader"... :dunno:

What is there to be 'militant' about? It's a simple case of the non-presence of a theory.

If you're really curious, Google it.:thup: Let's not pretend that all atheists have a live and let live attitude, any more than we would pretend that all Christians are tolerant. The descriptors for both were intentionally used, and they're obnoxious people.

I have no doubt there are those who are activist about their opinions. This board is made of them.

But what would be the point of lobbying people to not-believe something?

If you've seen the activist atheists post around here, then you're aware of how they believe religion is a negative for society...the more who "see their light", the less who will work to infringe on their beliefs.

"Among the more obvious dynamics is the hysteria and hand-wringing" from Hollie and militant atheists " that accompanies any questioning or challenges to their dogma." :)
I will need to send you an invoice for plagiarizing my comments.

For a fee, and in consideration of your inability to actually compose coherent sentences, I might be persuaded to write comments that you can post as your own.
:) You can't even plagiarize your own stuff without comment, and I carefully quoted your material immediately down the page. That's why folks are laughing at you, Hollie.

Theists are not intimidated by militant atheists like you and never will be.

And you're so dishonest you won't admit your plagiarism. If Joe Smith could tear himself away from his teenage bionk'ee, he'd thump you with his golden plates.

Praise jeebus.

Mormons strong as ever

Inspired by a con man, who was a monogamously challenged pedophile.
Not pedophile, none of the females were prepubescent. But a guy in his 30s was hitting on 14 year olds, and that is pretty sick, and if God was telling him to do that, then that God is pretty sick.

Um, he was 37, she was 14. They kept it a secret, and she continued to live with her parents.

That's a pedophile.

The a-theists of our time will be no more successful than were the French in the Temple of Reason or the communists. PratchettFan has the handle of it.
You're a bit confused. Atheism has no agenda of attracting converts. That's the domain of religions.
True.

In fact, most free from faith pursue no 'agenda' at all.
The "most" in your scenario does not apply on this board, however.

Jus sayin
Actually, it does. Among the more obvious dynamics is the hysteria and hand-wringing from the militant Christians that accompanies any questioning or challenges to their dogma.

As we have seen in this thread and as it happens in other threads, the extremists are left to flailing around when their scared cows are led to the stable.
"Most" faithless Atheists on this board have a clear agenda to belittle and ridicule any and all faiths

Mormons strong as ever

Not pedophile, none of the females were prepubescent. But a guy in his 30s was hitting on 14 year olds, and that is pretty sick, and if God was telling him to do that, then that God is pretty sick.

Um, he was 37, she was 14. They kept it a secret, and she continued to live with her parents.

That's a pedophile.
Actually there was more than one, and since she was post puberty, no it is not pedophilia. No judge would permit your instruction in court on the subject as such.

Was Joe a bad man? Yup. Was the LDS Church a bad church at the time for allowing it. Yup. Now? Not nearly so much. All churches or groups have their problems and pains. Sad thing is that people get hurt.

That's got nothing to do with political movements, French or elsewhere. It's a simple observation of what does not exist within a certain non-belief.

And yet we see billboards, holiday displays, etc. The purpose of advertising is to sell something.

--- And?

And.... that belies the claim that "Atheism has no agenda of attracting converts." That was the point, but the point was clearly false.

I don't follow.

I'm "obtuse" because I haven't seen some obscure billboard in Minnesota?

Alllllll righty then....

This thread jumped the proverbial shark quite a ways back. Aloha.

The a-theists of our time will be no more successful than were the French in the Temple of Reason or the communists. PratchettFan has the handle of it.
You're a bit confused. Atheism has no agenda of attracting converts. That's the domain of religions.
True.

Jus sayin
Actually, it does. Among the more obvious dynamics is the hysteria and hand-wringing from the militant Christians that accompanies any questioning or challenges to their dogma.

As we have seen in this thread and as it happens in other threads, the extremists are left to flailing around when their scared cows are led to the stable.
"Most" faithless Atheists on this board have a clear agenda to belittle and ridicule any and all faiths
Not most, because they are so many fine, decent atheists as well as theists on these boards.

Then there are the assholes in both groups that want to belittle and degrade those with whom they disagree.

Holli has no point is the point. I have no trouble with reason at all and am a big proponent of critical thinking. I simply pointed out that the French revolutionaries and others tried to replace God with Reason. Did not work well.

--- And?

I don't follow.

The same with any group that wish to be accepted in American society.

The LGBT have 'advertisements' , but they are not selling a 'lifestyle'.

However, some of the Billboards that the FFRF put up does feel like they are trying to make deconverts than promote tolerance for atheists. They really need to hire whoever writes the messages for the LGBT.

True.

Jus sayin

Not most, because they are so many fine, decent atheists as well as theists on these boards.

Then there are the assholes in both groups that want to belittle and degrade those with whom they disagree.
SchOpenhauer is the only sociable atheist I can think of.
Sealy can be sometimes

The only thing more obnoxious than a religious zealot is a militant atheist.:lol:

What is there to be 'militant' about? It's a simple case of the non-presence of a theory.

If you're really curious, Google it.:thup: Let's not pretend that all atheists have a live and let live attitude, any more than we would pretend that all Christians are tolerant. The descriptors for both were intentionally used, and they're obnoxious people.

I have no doubt there are those who are activist about their opinions. This board is made of them.

If you've seen the activist atheists post around here, then you're aware of how they believe religion is a negative for society...the more who "see their light", the less who will work to infringe on their beliefs.
True.

Jus sayin

"faithless atheist"?

I'm afraid that the more excitable Christians see critique, criticism and challenges to their religion as an "attack" and as a result, some tend toward name-calling as a defense.

Criticism of a worldview is going to happen on a public message board. Are you expecting that such claims as those that appear from the religious articles and the proponents of those (religious "miracles", 6,000 year old earth, biblical flood, people rising from the dead, etc.,) are not going to be challenged?

--- And?

I don't follow.

The same with any group that wish to be accepted in American society.

The LGBT have 'advertisements' , but they are not selling a 'lifestyle'.

However, some of the Billboards that the FFRF put up does feel like they are trying to make deconverts than promote tolerance for atheists. They really need to hire whoever writes the messages for the LGBT.
Maybe not selling a lifestyle but definitely vying for acceptance

I've never had an atheist knock on my door, and I've never seen one yelling on the street corner. :)

--- And?

I don't follow.

Thanks P-Fan

This type of 'advertisement'! Is the message about accepting atheists as normal citizens in society or an attempt to deconvert people?

Mormons strong as ever

That's a pedophile.
Actually there was more than one, and since she was post puberty, no it is not pedophilia. No judge would permit your instruction in court on the subject as such.

Was Joe a bad man? Yup. Was the LDS Church a bad church at the time for allowing it. Yup. Now? Not nearly so much. All churches or groups have their problems and pains. Sad thing is that people get hurt.

He was a pedophile.

--- And?

I don't follow.

I'm "obtuse" because I haven't seen some obscure billboard in Minnesota?

Alllllll righty then....

This thread jumped the proverbial shark quite a ways back. Aloha.

All located outside of Minnesota. (ps -- we are not offended. free country)

atheist billboard - Google Search

Mormons strong as ever

That's a pedophile.

He was a pedophile.
Not according to legal definitions and the law.

He should have gone to jail for a long time, yes.

Forum List

Back