Poll: Solid majority (71%) of Americans support Obama’s increase of the minimum wage

There's an amazing amount of "erroneous impressions" on what raising the minimum wage would do, Katz! You've got to understand the full implications of what you're doing before you blithely declare that a higher wage is a good thing. It may very well be the worst thing possible for those that well intentioned people want to "help" not to mention one more burden that our small businesses have to shoulder.

How would increasing business expenses reduce the amount of taxes Wal-Mart pays?

Increasing the amount Walmart pays to it's employees, increases their business costs, thus reducing net income. Businesses pay tax on their net income, not their gross income, so the amount of taxable income would be reduced. By letting the government look after it's workers, Walmart gets to claim a much bigger profits which makes it look financially healthier on paper, but American taxpayers are subsidizing those profits with food stamps and Medicaid.

The worst of it is, that Walmart pays to poorly that it's employees don't pay income tax and are 47%. By paying $100 a week to all of it's employees, Walmart could still book large profits, their employees would pay income tax, and they would no longer be eligible for food stamps. Everybody wins. This way, the Walton Famiily wins, and the American taxpayers are screwed.

You've obviously never paid employees, Dragonlady. Businesses pay taxes not only on their profit but also on the wages that they pay to each and every employee. The more they pay in wages...the more they will have to dish out in taxes.

You idiots always act like you know something about business. All those small businesses and businesses that hire near minimum wage can pay their labor a living wage and still maintain the same profit. Your problem is you have bought into the propaganda that the economic system has to be designed to be disfunctional to make it work. The people promoting a disfunctional economic system are the ones benefiting from it and aren't the normal people who work in this country.

The fact of the matter is...we're already going to see millions of full time people have their hours cut but to "part time" simply so that their employers don't have to provide health insurance for them under ObamaCare. That's one of the unforseen consequences of progressives trying to "help" them.

There's an amazing amount of "erroneous impressions" on what raising the minimum wage would do, Katz! You've got to understand the full implications of what you're doing before you blithely declare that a higher wage is a good thing. It may very well be the worst thing possible for those that well intentioned people want to "help" not to mention one more burden that our small businesses have to shoulder.

A really small business is owner operated and the more purchasing power the workers get is better for that business. The same logic applies to other small businesses, because most of their expenses are not labor. What they need is a good economy to make profits.

The fact of the matter is...we're already going to see millions of full time people have their hours cut but to "part time" simply so that their employers don't have to provide health insurance for them under ObamaCare. That's one of the unforseen consequences of progressives trying to "help" them.

What you see is Republicans making an economic system that is disfunctional. You dumbasses can't figure out you are not the only country in the world, but you are the only country that does all this stupid shit.

Increasing the amount Walmart pays to it's employees, increases their business costs, thus reducing net income. Businesses pay tax on their net income, not their gross income, so the amount of taxable income would be reduced. By letting the government look after it's workers, Walmart gets to claim a much bigger profits which makes it look financially healthier on paper, but American taxpayers are subsidizing those profits with food stamps and Medicaid.

The worst of it is, that Walmart pays to poorly that it's employees don't pay income tax and are 47%. By paying $100 a week to all of it's employees, Walmart could still book large profits, their employees would pay income tax, and they would no longer be eligible for food stamps. Everybody wins. This way, the Walton Famiily wins, and the American taxpayers are screwed.

You've obviously never paid employees, Dragonlady. Businesses pay taxes not only on their profit but also on the wages that they pay to each and every employee. The more they pay in wages...the more they will have to dish out in taxes.

You idiots always act like you know something about business. All those small businesses and businesses that hire near minimum wage can pay their labor a living wage and still maintain the same profit. Your problem is you have bought into the propaganda that the economic system has to be designed to be disfunctional to make it work. The people promoting a disfunctional economic system are the ones benefiting from it and aren't the normal people who work in this country.

Gee, does my pointing out that businesses pay other taxes than on profits throw a monkey wrench into your "accounting", Dubya?

Here's another dose of reality for you...

In order for me as a small business to maintain the same profit after my labor costs have been increased substantially, I need to either increase my sales substantially or increase my prices substantially. Understand that up front before you call for higher minimum wages...that cost cannot be absorbed by businesses...it either has to be made up for by an increase in volume or an increase in prices.

Gee, does my pointing out that businesses pay other taxes than on profits throw a monkey wrench into your "accounting", Dubya?

In order for me as a small business to maintain the same profit after my labor costs have been increased substantially, I need to either increase my sales substantially or increase my prices substantially. Understand that up front before you call for higher minimum wages...that cost cannot be absorbed by businesses...it either has to be made up for by an increase in volume or an increase in prices.

That's simple math, so use the math and stop hiding behind generalities!

Prove how minimum wage increases increase your business costs substantially! Prove it with numbers and not mouth!

What you see is Republicans making an economic system that is disfunctional. You dumbasses can't figure out you are not the only country in the world, but you are the only country that does all this stupid shit.

LOL...so Republicans devised legislation that will push millions of Americans from "full time" status to "part time" status in order to supposedly help them? Sorry, Dubya but that "masterpiece of governing" is courtesy of the progressives without a clue who gave us a 3,500 page health care "reform bill" that's one of the most badly written pieces of legislation in the history of this nation.

LOL...so Republicans devised legislation that will push millions of Americans from "full time" status to "part time" status in order to supposedly help them? Sorry, Dubya but that "masterpiece of governing" is courtesy of the progressives without a clue who gave us a 3,500 page health care "reform bill" that's one of the most badly written pieces of legislation in the history of this nation.

This government is a corporatist government and it's been that way since the Republicans gained control during the Civil War. This is not a capitalist government and it's all about giving to the corporations.

Prove how minimum wage increases increase your business costs substantially! Prove it with numbers and not mouth!

How could it not?

I run restaurants. I pay a competitive wage that is loosely established by the going rate of the locale I'm in. A diswasher makes $7 an hour...one step up the employee chain are prep cooks that make $9 an hour...one step up from them are line cooks that make $11 an hour.

So what do you think happens when I give that low end employee a "raise" to $9 an hour? It's a pretty simple concept! The prep cook isn't going to be happy making the same amount as the disher because they know they're more skilled than the disher so they're going to demand a raise to $11 an hour. Then the same thing happens with the line cooks being unhappy that they are making the same as a prep cook. So in order to maintain a balance in wages...I have to give EVERYONE a raise!

This government is a corporatist government and it's been that way since the Republicans gained control during the Civil War. This is not a capitalist government and it's all about giving to the corporations.

LOL...I point out that ObamaCare has the same kind of "unintended consequences" as your proposed increase to the minimum wage...and you respond with this dribble? Too funny...

How many people will be grateful for losing their jobs because of it?

It's not exactly a coincidence that we upped the minimum wage and we are not at significantly higher unemployment. Im not saying it was all caused by the minimum wage in and of itself, but it was definitely a factor.

When you artificially increase the cost of labor, you get less of it.

I don't believe many would lose their jobs because of it.
Outsourcing wouldn't be effected. Manufacturing, assembly, IT and customer support all pay well more than the proposed minimum wage. These jobs leave for other reasons. Primary minimum wage jobs are in the retail and service industry. Fast Food, groceries, retail sales and all the jobs at the mall would have to adjust in the way of price shifting, cutting portion size, etc., but for the most part there would be minimum impact on employment. In the service industry you need bodies to do the jobs. On the frontlines it's tough to just cut and not replace. Of course some will be cut, but those cuts happen in many other circumstances. I see more price shifting going on.

I support it. Even on $9 an hour, who could even support themselves off that?

How could it not?

I run restaurants. I pay a competitive wage that is loosely established by the going rate of the locale I'm in. A diswasher makes $7 an hour...one step up the employee chain are prep cooks that make $9 an hour...one step up from them are line cooks that make $11 an hour.

So what do you think happens when I give that low end employee a "raise" to $9 an hour? It's a pretty simple concept! The prep cook isn't going to be happy making the same amount as the disher because they know they're more skilled than the disher so they're going to demand a raise to $11 an hour. Then the same thing happens with the line cooks being unhappy that they are making the same as a prep cook. So in order to maintain a balance in wages...I have to give EVERYONE a raise!

If you run a restaurant like you claim, let's do the math on your whole expense of doing business and what a minimum wage increase will add to the whole expense as a percentage!

Let's start by clarifying you only paying $7 instead of $7.25 for a dishwasher! Give us the figures on how many dishwashers you need and what it costs for electricity and all other costs of your business! Your business has a property value, so why own that business and not just collect the interest off the cost of the business? You have to pay for food, don't you? Let's see the full accounting of your business and stop hiding behind generalities.

If people made more money, do you think your restaurant would get more business? Most of your people are below minimum wage workers who make their money on tips.

How could it not?

If you run a restaurant like you claim, let's do the math on your whole expense of doing business and what a minimum wage increase will add to the whole expense as a percentage!

Let's start by clarifying you only paying $7 instead of $7.25 for a dishwasher! Give us the figures on how many dishwashers you need and what it costs for electricity and all other costs of your business! Your business has a property value, so why own that business and not just collect the interest off the cost of the business? You have to pay for food, don't you? Let's see the full accounting of your business and stop hiding behind generalities.

If people made more money, do you think your restaurant would get more business? Most of your people are below minimum wage workers who make their money on tips.

:eusa_eh:

I'm guessing this was written after you nap-time, or you are a blithering idiot.

:eusa_hand:

Ok, you could be both.

Women stayed at home to raise kids because they could. They started working during WW2 because there was a manpower shortage. They went back to not working after the war. The big inflation of the 1970s, long before Reagan, made it impossible to live on one salary. The rich never paid 90% of taxes. That is simply made up.
The other trend is more generous welfare payments and programs that created disincentives to work. Someone on welfare today takes a 60% hit on his income if he decides to work. That is the problem right there. Liberal policies are gross failures and have been since FDR.

Women were told it was their patriotic duty to give up working and return to being homemakers because their MEN needed the jobs. America appreciated their contribution during the war, and now needed them to return to their homes.

The big inflation of the 1970's - right after the Republicans were in office for 8 years, escalating the Viet Nam war, and the increased spending that went with it. I notice how Republicans always gloss over the recessions and economic problems caused but their running of the economy, or better, blame it on the Democrats.

I'd ask for proof but there isn't any because what you post is bullshit.
Inflation started up under Johnson and his Great Society fiasco, bubbled up more under Nixon and his Dem-style economic policies, and reached a head under the hapless Jimmy Carter, second worst president in history. It started to go down under Reagan and was well contained under GW Bush.
The truth is when Democrats get a hold of things they spend spend spend. And when Republicans get careless they start to act like Democrats.

It's actually worse than that. The Dums, knowing this was coming, redefined part time to mean 35 hours a week rather than 40. So workers will get even less part time in their part time. Once again, a program sold as a way to help the poor and middle class will end up hurting them even more.

How could it not?

LOL...the cost of EVERYTHING I purchase for that business would go up right along with the cost of my food. Or don't you understand that concept? If the guy who ships my produce has to increase the wage he pays the guy who packs it and puts it on a truck then that cost gets passed along to me. That's not hyperbole from me that's simply the way it WORKS. I really don't understand how progressives like you can understand so little about business yet are so ready to impose legislation on it.

How could it not?

LOL...the cost of EVERYTHING I purchase for that business would go up right along with the cost of my food. Or don't you understand that concept? If the guy who ships my produce has to increase the wage he pays the guy who packs it and puts it on a truck then that cost gets passed along to me. That's not hyperbole from me that's simply the way it WORKS. I really don't understand how progressives like you can understand so little about business yet are so ready to impose legislation on it.

its because they learned their economics from a bunch of egg headed professors who never deal in the real world and live their lives in the imaginary world of academia.

How many people will be grateful for losing their jobs because of it?

It's not exactly a coincidence that we upped the minimum wage and we are not at significantly higher unemployment. Im not saying it was all caused by the minimum wage in and of itself, but it was definitely a factor.

When you artificially increase the cost of labor, you get less of it.

I don't believe many would lose their jobs because of it.
Outsourcing wouldn't be effected. Manufacturing, assembly, IT and customer support all pay well more than the proposed minimum wage. These jobs leave for other reasons. Primary minimum wage jobs are in the retail and service industry. Fast Food, groceries, retail sales and all the jobs at the mall would have to adjust in the way of price shifting, cutting portion size, etc., but for the most part there would be minimum impact on employment. In the service industry you need bodies to do the jobs. On the frontlines it's tough to just cut and not replace. Of course some will be cut, but those cuts happen in many other circumstances. I see more price shifting going on.

I support it. Even on $9 an hour, who could even support themselves off that?

With all due respect, GHook...entry level jobs were never supposed to support a family. It's a stepping stone to a better job. You HAVE to understand this. I can't afford to pay dishwashers $9 an hour without raising the price of my food to make up the difference. So if the prices of goods and services are all going to go up...what have you really gained for anyone? I don't want to hire someone as a disher and have them stay at that job making that money. I really don't! I want them to learn the skills to be a prep cook so that I can then promote them to that position. I then want them to learn the skills of a line cook so that I can then promote them to that position. The natural progression of this is so uncomplicated and natural it should be common sense, yet people like you seem determined to step in and declare that someone who hasn't learned new skills should be paid like they have. It's not a good thing for people in general and businesses in particular. People doing the same job for decades without progressing leads to complacency. The reason that our system has always worked so well is that it encourages people to better themselves by rewarding the learning of new skills in order to receive more compensation. The best result of what I'm talking about is a woman who started in one of my restaurants as a bus girl at 16 years old...now co-owning a restaurant as a chef ten years later and employing dozens of other people. That didn't happen because of guaranteed wages...that happened because of ambition.

Given a $1 Billion TAX CREDIT for the safety net WALMART COULD PAY FOR THE SAFETY NET ITSELF

That's what we're asking for - for Walmart to pay for it's own food stamps and Medicaid out of it's own pocket - as wages. They will be able to deduct the increased costs for their employees from the business expenses which will reduce the amount of tax Walmart pays, but then the government won't have the expense of collecting that money as taxes, sending it on to the states for Food Stamps, and then redistributing it to Walmart employees, which will be a whole lot cheaper for the government.

Thank you for agreeing with us.

Wow, you also agree to a Tax CREDIT = The artificial wage increase.

:clap2:

Yeah I guess we're all on board

Forum List

Back