Polygraph: Modern Crusade

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
A polygraph (popularly referred to as a lie detector) measures and records several physiological indices such as blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and skin conductivity while the subject is asked and answers a series of questions. The belief underpinning the use of the polygraph is that deceptive answers will produce physiological responses that can be differentiated from those associated with non-deceptive answers; the polygraph is one of several devices used for lie detection (source of summary: Wikipedia).

Polygraph devices have been used by police departments and investigators assessing the veracity of testimonies and witness accounts; however, they have been ruled in cases as unreliable, since they seem to procure general emotional responses that can not be necessarily equated with deception or perjury. A person who is telling the truth may feel emotional duress while being administered a polygraph examination and be assessed falsely as telling a lie.

In the past, polygraph examinations were used for criminal investigations since people believed that emotional duress could be equated efficiently with intentional dishonesty, which, in theory, produces uncomfortable states of anticipation anxiety in the human brain.

It seems that in our modern age of mass populism dialogue proliferation (i.e., vigilantism-themed comic book programs, public access court TV, etc.) the polygraph device stirs natural curiosity about procedural analysis of civics testimony veracity. Certainly, Hollywood (USA) movies such as "True Lies" (1994) speak to this new age social discourse trend.

The dialogue surrounding polygraph use is certainly useful in our time of curfew enforcements in suburban communities. Perhaps the polygraph is to modern suburban curfew policies what genetic engineering of super-soldiers (i.e., Soviet plans to make ape soldiers) was to the Human Genome Project in earlier decades.

Over all, it seems that discussion is the key to healthy policy-making.

:arrow:

Polygraph - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

polygraph.jpg

Polygraph results might not be admissible in court but they are widely used in the public private sector as a security tool. I'm not sure where curfew policies come in.

Forum List

Back