Pompeo says State Dept. officials won’t show up for scheduled impeachment depositions this week

Two things...first..what some prosecutors decide or not is irrelevant..that is why we have trials..to determine guilt or innocence..not trying a case in the public media...or empaneling some 'experts' to tell us..a trial.

The other...let us not assume facts not in evidence....and we do not yet know what,, if any, additional evidence the Congress might have.

It behooves us to remember that Impeachment and trial in the Senate are first and foremost political acts..and not actions of usual jurisprudence. There are no rules of evidence..or procedure except as the Senate enacts.

They can acquit in the face of overwhelming evidence..or they can vote to remove..without any evidence at all..once the Senate trial begins. There is no appeal to their actions...no SCOTUS mandated 'do-overs'. There will be no parsing of what 'High Crimes and Misdemeanors' means.

It is a crap-shoot..for the highest office in the land.

You know, there is something to the above, and it's certainly plausible to assume it could play out that way.

Still, I resent the way you depict Congress, Democrats in this case, as cynical goons who don't care about evidence. You are forgetting, I think, that representatives and senators have to explain their decisions, to their voters, spouses, children, whatever. You are also not even contemplating some might even be duty-bound by such a thing as an oath of office, which takes on a particular gravity in face of a procedure as weighty as is impeachment of the president.

You will note that no matter their fundamentalist obstruction of president Obama, and with a majority in both houses, and constant howls over a "lawless administration", the GOP did not even try to impeach, much less remove, president Obama. So even among them, you find some - some - sense of perspective. It goes without saying, the spin they spread out over Faux News and Breitbart is not the same as that which is going to be contemplated during the impeachment inquiry.

Why not, in fact, assume that Pelosi and the heads of the involved committees will follow procedures that produce what might reasonably be considered factual evidence before writing up articles of impeachment based on it? I'd hold, that's at least as plausible as the assumption they will just fantasize away, the evidence be damned. I have, admittedly, less trust in the GOP thoroughly considering the evidence in the Senate, and base their votes on what emerges.

You are reciting falsehoods and party talking points. can't reason with intentional ignorance. Have a good evening.
That's right, snowflake - run to your 'Safe space'. I have backed up everything I said with reports, documents, testimony, video-taped confessions, and links.

You demonstrate ignorance, call others ignorant, then run from what you can not disprove.

You are reciting falsehoods and party talking points. can't reason with intentional ignorance. Have a good evening.
That's right, snowflake - run to your 'Safe space'. I have backed up everything I said with reports, documents, testimony, video-taped confessions, and links.

You demonstrate ignorance, call others ignorant, then run from what you can not disprove.

Dude - You've backed up your bullshit with more bullshit and partisan talking points and spin. I'm trying to be nice by walking away but if you want to play I can stay.........

The law states that Mr. Pompeo needs to take his fat ass up in front of Congress with the documentation that Congress has requested and answer questions along with others involved or with knowledge of the topic being investigated.

That's the law.

Last edited:
He's smart. He will wait till all the evidence one way or another is in.

Only a lefty loon like you would call that stone walling.
ROTF! Calling me a lefty is sure sign of ignorance.
As for ignorance...he is not going to wait for all the evidence when he is PART of the evidence!

Stonewalling I said..and stonewalling I meant. Not that I believe for a moment that he will be successful.

I would think that this is at the order of Pompeo's boss..the President.
Right
The question is "what can congress do about it?".
How about they start doing their jobs and stop wasting all this time and money?

the house has passed several bills starting on day one, including strengthening gun laws, lowering drug costs, re-instating the voting rights act among many MANY others.

sent them over to moscow mitch who refuses to bring ANY of them to the floor. research it yerself, dimbulb.
Ridiculous bullshit! Why don't enforce laws already in force?
They are trying, but pompeo is trying to stop them.

He's smart. He will wait till all the evidence one way or another is in.

Only a lefty loon like you would call that stone walling.
We have dOnald tRump's confession on tape.

Confession to what? As I set forth in this thread, federal prosecutors have unanimously concluded that no crime was committed:

Federal Prosecutors: No crime in Ukraine call/no violation of Emoluments Clause
Not so. That's just part of Barr's attempted cover-up.

Dude - You've backed up your bullshit with more bullshit and partisan talking points and spin. I'm trying to be nice by walking away but if you want to play I can stay.........

The law states that Mr. Pompeo needs to take his fat ass up in front of Congress with the documentation that Congress has requested and answer questions along with others involved or with knowledge of the topic being investigated.

Sorry, snowflake, but in just the last several months I have posted and reposted the facts / data / sources. The Coup 2.0 is still being run by proven criminals, based on ZERO evidence, just more false narratives and lies.

The very accusation - by Democrats, you, other snowflakes - that President Trump broke the law / perpetrated an Impeachable offense demonstrates your unbelievable ignorance in U.S. government and law.

Ever hear of Treaty Document 109-13 -
Mutual Legal Assistance Agreement with the European Union snowflake? OF COURSE YOU HAVEN'T - if you had you wouldn't be proudly hanging your ignorance out like a flag for everyone to see.

It is a Treaty signed with the European Union that established an agreement regarding criminal investigations ... MEANING DEMOCRATS ARE EITHER STUPID, THIMK YOU ARE STUPID (AND YOU'RE PROVING THEM RIGHT), OR CRIMINALLY IGNORING US TREATUES / LAWS IN ORDER TO COMMIT TREASON - TO REMOVE A PRESIDENT FROM POWER THROUGB A POLITICAL COUP.

TRUMP DID NOTHING ILLEGAL ... AND NADLER, SCHIFF, & THE DEMOCRATS RUNNING THE 'UKRAINE COLLUSION DELUSIN' KNOW IT!

Text - Treaty Document 109-13 - Mutual Legal Assistance Agreement with the European Union

Sorry, snowflake, but in just the last several months I have posted and reposted the facts / data / sources. The Coup 2.0 is still being run by proven criminals, based on ZERO evidence, just more false narratives and lies.

The very accusation - by Democrats, you, other snowflakes - that President Trump broke the law / perpetrated an Impeachable offense demonstrates your unbelievable ignorance in U.S. government and law.

Mutual Legal Assistance Agreement with the European Union snowflake? OF COURSE YOU HAVEN'T - if you had you wouldn't be proudly hanging your ignorance out like a flag for everyone to see.

It is a Treaty signed with the European Union that established an agreement regarding criminal investigations ... MEANING DEMOCRATS ARE EITHER STUPID, THIMK YOU ARE STUPID (AND YOU'RE PROVING THEM RIGHT), OR CRIMINALLY IGNORING US TREATUES / LAWS IN ORDER TO COMMIT TREASON - TO REMOVE A PRESIDENT FROM POWER THROUGB A POLITICAL COUP.

TRUMP DID NOTHING ILLEGAL ... AND NADLER, SCHIFF, & THE DEMOCRATS RUNNING THE 'UKRAINE COLLUSION DELUSIN' KNOW IT!

Text - Treaty Document 109-13 - Mutual Legal Assistance Agreement with the European Union

Therein lies your error. I've never suggested that Trump has done anything wrong. I've simply said that we have laws and once Congress invokes their rights on an impeachment inquiry then ALL Americans should accept it as law.

I'm not sure what you've been posting for months. What I can say is that based on what I've read today I'm not convinced by your argument. It's just gibberish and partisan talking points as far as I'm concerned.

Based on your posts today it's clear you've already made up your mind whereas I'm interested in hearing ALL points and supporting information before I come to any conclusions.

Also - I'm not a democrat and I'm not a snowflake - I'm an American.

Therein lies your error. I've never suggested that Trump has done anything wrong. I've simply said that we have laws and once Congress invokes their rights on an impeachment inquiry then ALL Americans should accept it as law.

I'm not sure what you've been posting for months. What I can say is that based on what I've read today I'm not convinced by your argument. It's just gibberish and partisan talking points as far as I'm concerned.

Based on your posts today it's clear you've already made up your mind whereas I'm interested in hearing ALL points and supporting information before I come to any conclusions.

You have already made up your mind that there is evidence of crimes committed by the Democrats who told you he did, the same Democrats who told you President Trump was an unquestionable compromised agent of Vladimir Putin...which turned out to be a MASSIVE, TREASONOUS LIE...

...and now the same traitors who have been proven to be lying for the last 3+ years just told you that the President of the United States just committed treason / an Impeachable offense by requesting mutual cooperation and assistance in a legal investigation....and you swallowed it without question...when all the President really did was EXERCISE EXISTING TREATIES...

Agreement with the United States on mutual legal assistance - EUR-Lex

"The agreement sets out conditions relating to the provision of mutual legal assistance in criminal matters between the EU and the US."

Hillary was too stupid to know she was breaking the law, and you snowflakes are too stupid to know when Democrats are breaking laws, committing treason, and playing you for fools.

You have already made up your mind that there is evidence of crimes committed by the Democrats who told you he did, the same Democrats who told you President Trump was an unquestionable compromised agent of Vladimir Putin...which turned out to be a MASSIVE, TREASONOUS LIE...

...and now the same traitors who have been proven to be lying for the last 3+ years just told you that the President of the United States just committed treason / an Impeachable offense by requesting mutual cooperation and assistance in a legal investigation....and you swallowed it without question...when all the President really did was EXERCISE EXISTING TREATIES...

"The agreement sets out conditions relating to the provision of mutual legal assistance in criminal matters between the EU and the US."

Hillary was too stupid to know she was breaking the law, and you snowflakes are too stupid to know when Democrats are breaking laws, committing treason, and playing you for fools.

Where?!! Where have I posted that the President has committed a crime? Where?

No where - that's where.

You're the one whose been running around the forum telling anyone who will stop and listen what your position is on the issue.

You're the one who has a problem with being compromised and influenced with hearsay and preliminary reporting, not me. I've not made any assertions. I've only called for people to respect our laws.

So..the stonewalling begins..will it work? Or..will it just pour gas on an already burning fire?
I sense Pompeo may be panicking just a bit..after all...what harm could there be..if all was on the up and up?

Pompeo says State Dept. officials won’t show up for scheduled impeachment depositions this week

"Secretary of State Mike Pompeo fired a broadside at House Democrats on Tuesday, saying State Department officials scheduled to appear this week before committees conducting the impeachment inquiry would not be made available until “we obtain further clarity on these matters.”
The refusal, in a letter to House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot L. Engel (D-N.Y.), described the demand for depositions by five officials who played a role in U.S. relations with Ukraine as “an attempt to intimidate, bully, and treat improperly, the distinguished professionals of the Department of State.”
The statements came as Pompeo’s role in the Ukraine investigation broadened with reports that he was a participant in the July 25 call by President Trump to Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky, which led to the impeachment investigation.

Before that report, first published by The Wall Street Journal, Pompeo had brushed off questions about the incident, saying last week that he had not yet read the transcript of the telephone call released by the White House, or the whistleblower complaint that it sparked.
The committee, along with the House Intelligence and Oversight panels, had requested the five officials to appear for depositions this week and next, to begin Wednesday with Marie Yovanovitch, who was recalled by Pompeo as ambassador to Ukraine in May, prior to the end of her tour.
Other State Department officials scheduled for depositions include Kurt Volker, the administration’s special envoy to Ukraine, who resigned last week; Deputy Assistant Secretary George Kent; U.S. ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland; and State Department Counselor T. Ulrich Brechbuhl."

What Pompeo is doing.......

:dig::dig::dig:

Confession to what? As I set forth in this thread, federal prosecutors have unanimously concluded that no crime was committed:

Federal Prosecutors: No crime in Ukraine call/no violation of Emoluments Clause
Not so. That's just part of Barr's attempted cover-up.

Do yourself and your credibility a favor and read the post. The cited articles from PBS and ABC make clear that Barr was not involved in the investigation or conclusion, which was conducted by the DOJ Criminal Division, and the conclusion was unanimous, including by career prosecutors that were hired during Democrat administrations.

Two things...first..what some prosecutors decide or not is irrelevant..that is why we have trials..to determine guilt or innocence..not trying a case in the public media...or empaneling some 'experts' to tell us..a trial.

The other...let us not assume facts not in evidence....and we do not yet know what,, if any, additional evidence the Congress might have.

It behooves us to remember that Impeachment and trial in the Senate are first and foremost political acts..and not actions of usual jurisprudence. There are no rules of evidence..or procedure except as the Senate enacts.

They can acquit in the face of overwhelming evidence..or they can vote to remove..without any evidence at all..once the Senate trial begins. There is no appeal to their actions...no SCOTUS mandated 'do-overs'. There will be no parsing of what 'High Crimes and Misdemeanors' means.

It is a crap-shoot..for the highest office in the land.

You know, there is something to the above, and it's certainly plausible to assume it could play out that way.

Still, I resent the way you depict Congress, Democrats in this case, as cynical goons who don't care about evidence. You are forgetting, I think, that representatives and senators have to explain their decisions, to their voters, spouses, children, whatever. You are also not even contemplating some might even be duty-bound by such a thing as an oath of office, which takes on a particular gravity in face of a procedure as weighty as is impeachment of the president.

You will note that no matter their fundamentalist obstruction of president Obama, and with a majority in both houses, and constant howls over a "lawless administration", the GOP did not even try to impeach, much less remove, president Obama. So even among them, you find some - some - sense of perspective. It goes without saying, the spin they spread out over Faux News and Breitbart is not the same as that which is going to be contemplated during the impeachment inquiry.

Why not, in fact, assume that Pelosi and the heads of the involved committees will follow procedures that produce what might reasonably be considered factual evidence before writing up articles of impeachment based on it? I'd hold, that's at least as plausible as the assumption they will just fantasize away, the evidence be damned. I have, admittedly, less trust in the GOP thoroughly considering the evidence in the Senate, and base their votes on what emerges.
Well...I resent my depiction as well....mostly because it assumes that the worst in human nature runs around in...committees. Also because the assumption has been born out so many times in history...that it's almost axiomatic.
I like your individual truth about good men and women of faith and integrity...and then I look at Congress---I do not see the same people you do.
The impeachment is a career maker or breaker for so many now....and the demand of the American public for circus has never been higher. I think impeachment by the House is certain....because everyone is thinking that the Senate will save them....and they may be right..no matter how egregious the evidence.

Unless, of course, the establishment Republicans take Trump out themselves....and harness the Far Right to elect Pence.

That could also happen.

Sadly, the idea of an impartial house Impeaching..and a principled Senate trying the case----is least likely.

This just in:

State Dept. inspector general requests 'urgent' meeting

"The State Department's inspector general has requested a bipartisan staff briefing with relevant congressional committees Wednesday related to documents on Ukraine, according to sources briefed on the matter.
The email that went to staff suggested it was "urgent," sources say. One congressional aide described the State IG's request as "highly unusual and cryptically worded."
The inspector general said the reason for the briefing was the office had obtained documents from acting legal adviser in the State Department. The offer for the briefing was sent roughly an hour after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's strongly worded letter Tuesday pushing back against Democrats' scheduled depositions for State Department officials."

Where?!! Where have I posted that the President has committed a crime? Where?

No where - that's where.

You're the one whose been running around the forum telling anyone who will stop and listen what your position is on the issue.

You're the one who has a problem with being compromised and influenced with hearsay and preliminary reporting, not me. I've not made any assertions. I've only called for people to respect our laws.
Refusing to even research or question accusations by Democrats of guilt / criminal acts by the President is a failure on your part and amounts to facilitating treason.

3+ years of continuous exposed lies and attempts to overthrow the President of the United States while refusing to investigate evidence of crimes committed by Democrats amounts to Sedition and Treason.

And after 3+ years you continue to demonstrate your willingness to believe the crap Democrats constantly feed you and your willingness to allow them to continue without ever having actual evidence of criminal activity.

I just exposed the fact that the Democrats are accusing the President of treason when he is simply executing existing mutual law enforcement cooperation treaties, which the Democrats know very well.

To say the American people should allow the Democrats to continue to engage in this never-ending Impeachment quest based on undeniable false accusations because THEY call the President exercising existing treaties 'treason' is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

That's like a criminal breaking into your house and calling the cops on YOU, claiming YOU broke the law, and demanding the legal process against YOU go forward.

The transcript of the President's and the Ukraine PM's conversation prove there was no crime and no need for an investigation based on the existence of these treaties.

The declaration by the Ukraine PM that what the Democrats are accusing the President of NEVER HAPPENED prove there was no crime and no need for an investigation based on the existence of these treaties.

The existing treaties themselves prove the President committed no crimes, but despite that you want to allow the Democrats to continue their 'Inquisition'?!

Eventually even YOU have to acknowledge what the Democrats are doing is committing fraud, Sedition, and Treason in their continued pursuit of removing the President from office.

This just in:

State Dept. inspector general requests 'urgent' meeting

"The State Department's inspector general has requested a bipartisan staff briefing with relevant congressional committees Wednesday related to documents on Ukraine, according to sources briefed on the matter.
The email that went to staff suggested it was "urgent," sources say. One congressional aide described the State IG's request as "highly unusual and cryptically worded."
The inspector general said the reason for the briefing was the office had obtained documents from acting legal adviser in the State Department. The offer for the briefing was sent roughly an hour after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's strongly worded letter Tuesday pushing back against Democrats' scheduled depositions for State Department officials."
What is 'URGENT' is ending this charade / this continuous treasonous coup attempt by the Democrats.

As pointed out, again, existing treaties between the US and the European Union / European nations authorizes the President to request mutual law enforcement and investigative cooperation and assistance from foreign nations.

'Nuff Said On THIS.

No such treaty exists authorizing a VP to EXTORT the leader of an allied country, as Biden confessed to doing on video-tape.

Forum List

Back