• Pop

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Soda

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • I'm gay

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
Hint...

"pop" is gay, and there IS something wrong with that.
It's a regionnal idiosyncracy, not a sexual idiosyncracy. Around here It's always been pop, but in recent years the word coke has become almost a generic for a soft drink.

But Paulie, you seem to assign a lot of gay/not-gay sexual connotation to perfectly innocent terms (not that there's anything wrong with that!). As Freud is reputed to have said: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." But as you said recently, "You're almost NEVER to take me seriously", and from that I conclude that you are a light hearted soul who is a little overly concerned with the "gayness" of things...hmmmh...

But here's a map that shows the inclination for preferences between the useages of the words 'pop', 'soda', 'coke', or others

699x421-total-county.gif

Last edited:
Either you're poking fun back at me, or you're STILL taking me too seriously.

Where I come from, "gay" is so universally used it almost doesn't even HAVE a sexual denotation to it anymore.

Hint...

I was raised in Seattle and back then we called it pop. Since then, I've lived in several places in the South and Northeast and now call it soda. However, my wife was raised in Colorado and so still calls it pop.

So have you ever been West of the Mississippi?
Was that in Seattle Warshington or Seattle Washington?
I also live in Spo can washington not spo cane washington and we have a basketball team called gon zaga not gonzahga.:razz:

Haha. When I lived there, it was Washington. (I also pronounce Spokane as Spo-can. And everyone messes up Yakima!)

Either you're poking fun back at me, or you're STILL taking me too seriously.

Where I come from, "gay" is so universally used it almost doesn't even HAVE a sexual denotation to it anymore.

Attachments

• $Your_Gay.jpg_thumb.jpeg
    $Your_Gay.jpg_thumb.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 65
Hmmm ... my cousin who is a prison guard in MI says "pop". :eusa_whistle:

It's just what they call it up dere, y'know.

Yep, up nort here we call it pop aye. Always have, ever since I can remember. Got no idea where soda ever came from.

The best part is that right on the fucking labels of the drink containers, it says "Soda".

Just about on every damn one you'll find.

Is that so... hmmmm... so I'm sitting here looking at my can of Coca Cola, and ya know what, smarty pants? It does NOT say "soda" anywhere on it. Funny huh? I've got some Pepsi too, and ya know what? It doesn't say "soda" anywhere on a Pepsi either. So your claim kinda just got blown out of the water son.

And I can guarantee you that back in the day when we'd put a DIME in the CHEST COOLER for "pop" and slide out the bottle down the rails and use the built in bottle opener to open it, there wasn't anywhere on those bottles that said "soda" either. So you're just kind of found out to be full of sheep dung here pard.

Hint...

It's a regionnal idiosyncracy, not a sexual idiosyncracy. Around here It's always been pop, but in recent years the word coke has become almost a generic for a soft drink.

But Paulie, you seem to assign a lot of gay/not-gay sexual connotation to perfectly innocent terms (not that there's anything wrong with that!). As Freud is reputed to have said: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." But as you said recently, "You're almost NEVER to take me seriously", and from that I conclude that you are a light hearted soul who is a little overly concerned with the "gayness" of things...hmmmh...

But here's a map that shows the inclination for preferences between the useages of the words 'pop', 'soda', 'coke', or others

699x421-total-county.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Above post made by a fellow Hoosier, who knows if you want a soda pop, you tell them you want a coke. :cool:

Hint...

699x421-total-county.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Above post made by a fellow Hoosier, who knows if you want a soda pop, you tell them you want a coke. :cool:
I am in the 80 to 100% range for my region using pop.:lol:

I was raised in Seattle and back then we called it pop. Since then, I've lived in several places in the South and Northeast and now call it soda. However, my wife was raised in Colorado and so still calls it pop.

So have you ever been West of the Mississippi?
Was that in Seattle Warshington or Seattle Washington?
I also live in Spo can washington not spo cane washington and we have a basketball team called gon zaga not gonzahga.:razz:

Haha. When I lived there, it was Washington. (I also pronounce Spokane as Spo-can. And everyone messes up Yakima!)

and you would think Yakima would be easy to say!:lol:
Of course when half the people in Yakima don't speak English, some of the locals probably don't even know how to say it.:lol:

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Yep, up nort here we call it pop aye. Always have, ever since I can remember. Got no idea where soda ever came from.

The best part is that right on the fucking labels of the drink containers, it says "Soda".

Just about on every damn one you'll find.

Is that so... hmmmm... so I'm sitting here looking at my can of Coca Cola, and ya know what, smarty pants? It does NOT say "soda" anywhere on it. Funny huh? I've got some Pepsi too, and ya know what? It doesn't say "soda" anywhere on a Pepsi either. So your claim kinda just got blown out of the water son.

And I can guarantee you that back in the day when we'd put a DIME in the CHEST COOLER for "pop" and slide out the bottle down the rails and use the built in bottle opener to open it, there wasn't anywhere on those bottles that said "soda" either. So you're just kind of found out to be full of sheep dung here pard.
That's because the major national retailers don't NEED to announce on the package what it is, it's universally understood. I imagine they also don't want to have to spend the money on different labels for different regions where people use different words for it, and offend someone possibly and possibly losing a sale.

Go grab a can of your local generic brand 20 cent can of soda, and see what it says.

Let me get you started:

2378084359_74bcbf53b8.jpg

Now here's Wal-Mart's generic soda line:

3612149884_ec4a0356df.jpg

Here's another drink that's becoming quite popular these days...let's see what THEY'RE saying:

jones_soda.jpg

NOW...

I defy you to find me ANY proof with either an image or a link or whatever, to a drink company that puts "pop" on their packaging label.

Wait a minute!!

Here's that OLD school soda you mentioned that came without the soda label too!!

1970s_soda_2.jpg

Forum List

Back