Pope Francis: No hell, and some of the Bible is obsolete

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
There Is No Hell Fire; Adam & Eve Not Real - Pope Francis Exposes

“Through humility, soul searching, and prayerful contemplation we have gained a new understanding of certain dogmas. The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity. God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device. Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God.”

Further;

“God is changing and evolving as we are, For God lives in us and in our hearts. When we spread love and kindness in the world, we touch our own divinity and recognize it. The Bible is a beautiful holy book, but like all great and ancient works, some passages are outdated. Some even call for intolerance or judgement. The time has come to see these verses as later interpolations, contrary to the message of love and truth, which otherwise radiates through scripture. In accordance with our new understanding, we will begin to ordain women as cardinals, bishops and priests. In the future, it is my hope that we will have a woman pope one day. Let no door be closed to women that is open to men!”

I don't care what anybody says, nor that I am not Catholic. I love this pontiff.

A lot of what he is now saying addresses the doubts that I have faced over the past ten years or so. I cannot place my faith in some spiritual bully. I see too much ugliness in those who call themselves by his name. The things they say and do repel people from God, not draw them closer.

I'm sure he is a very nice man, BD. He sounds very sincere but according to scripture he is sincerely wrong. We either have to go by what the bible says or what a man says in this matter. I'll stay with the bible on the doctrine of Christ. The bible warns us in the end times people will depart from the faith and believe heresy. His departure from the faith is going to be a serious problem for many Catholics. I know quite a few who are deeply concerned over this popes claim because it is in direct contradiction to the former position of the RCC.

Theresa of Avila's visions of hell were confirmed as genuine by the Vatican. She was ordered by her spiritual director to write her book. It wasn't something she came up with one day. The teachings of hell by Avila, Bernard of Clairveaux, Thomas Aquinas, Catherine of Sienna, Julian of Norwich, John Bunyan ( latter was not Catholic ) are accepted by Catholics as true. Bunyan's experience of hell would be described as identical to Avila's yet they were of two different faiths.

The bible declares , God changes not. That is a scripture. God changes not. Yet the pope says God is "evolving" and changing. Who is speaking the truth here? The bible. The bible is the Living Word of God. It isn't obsolete. There are no passages that have lost their relevancy. The Word of God is as alive and relevant to mankind to day as it was the day it was written. Nothing has changed other than the leadership of the Roman Catholic Church and some Catholics are realizing this is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

The Lord is going to watch over His people and protect them but when the sheperd calls the flock to greener pastures to escape from being devoured by this wolf will people listen? That is the question. Are we going to please man or God? We won't be able to please both in this situation. This is one dangerous man. I don't care what they call him. He's an imposter.

Best regards, Jeri

Pope says there's no hell

church looses money b/c no one needs to pay for baptisms or any of that other free ride to heaven stuff.

also; Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Dalmer, are all in heaven with god.

While there are clear contradictions, the book was written by jews and jews hated outsiders, editing the book, again, isn't going to work.

And since when does catholic intolerance drive people off when islam is way harsher and draws people in?

wear high heels and a mini to church and you risk getting tsked at, do that in islam and you risk a whipping with an actual whip.

I'm sure he is a very nice man, BD. He sounds very sincere but according to scripture he is sincerely wrong. We either have to go by what the bible says or what a man says in this matter. I'll stay with the bible on the doctrine of Christ. The bible warns us in the end times people will depart from the faith and believe heresy. His departure from the faith is going to be a serious problem for many Catholics. I know quite a few who are deeply concerned over this popes claim because it is in direct contradiction to the former position of the RCC.

Theresa of Avila's visions of hell were confirmed as genuine by the Vatican. She was ordered by her spiritual director to write her book. It wasn't something she came up with one day. The teachings of hell by Avila, Bernard of Clairveaux, Thomas Aquinas, Catherine of Sienna, Julian of Norwich, John Bunyan ( latter was not Catholic ) are accepted by Catholics as true. Bunyan's experience of hell would be described as identical to Avila's yet they were of two different faiths.

The bible declares , God changes not. That is a scripture. God changes not. Yet the pope says God is "evolving" and changing. Who is speaking the truth here? The bible. The bible is the Living Word of God. It isn't obsolete. There are no passages that have lost their relevancy. The Word of God is as alive and relevant to mankind to day as it was the day it was written. Nothing has changed other than the leadership of the Roman Catholic Church and some Catholics are realizing this is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

The Lord is going to watch over His people and protect them but when the sheperd calls the flock to greener pastures to escape from being devoured by this wolf will people listen? That is the question. Are we going to please man or God? We won't be able to please both in this situation. This is one dangerous man. I don't care what they call him. He's an imposter.

Best regards, Jeri

Well, I am gonna take time to chew this over.

But I will remind of three solid facts:

1.) Jeshuah himself spoke in parables. In fact, when you statistically measure the quotes of Jeshuah from the 4 Gospels (Matthäus, Markus, Lukas, Johannes), he is quoted more often speaking in parables than not. This tells us quite automatically that not everything in the Bible is to be interpreted literally - for Jeshuah himself did not want people to do that. He wanted them to extract the main idea of the parable and apply it to their lives, plain and simple.

2.) In the Torah, there is no Hell. There is a Sh'e'ol - a "waiting place", and there is a B'Sefer Chayyim (Book of Life), but there is no Hell.

3.) The Pope is THE anointed rock of Peter, according to Catholics. He is supposed to interpret (or reinterpret) Scripture and issue Canon based on being led by the Almighty. So, whether or not you are a Catholic, just calling him a "good man" doesn't cut it. He is more than that, and I as a Jew am willing to admit that.

Yes, G-d does not change. But our ability to understand G-d better does. It's alot like the Doppler Effect: same set of tones, but the pitches sound different, based on your distance to them.

Last edited:
  • Banned

Best regards, Jeri

1.) Jeshuah himself spoke in parables. In fact, when you statistically measure the quotes of Jeshuah from the 4 Gospels (Matthäus, Markus, Lukas, Johannes), he is quoted more often speaking in parables than not. This tells us quite automatically that not everything in the bible is to be interpreted literally - for Jeshuah himself did not want people to do that. He wanted them to extract the main idea of the parable and apply it to their lives, plain and simple.

2.) In the Torah, there is no Hell. There is a sh'e'ol - a waiting and there is a B'Sefer Chayyim (Book of Life), but there is no Hell.

3.) The Pope is THE anointed rock of Peter, according to Catholics. He is supposed to interpret (or reinterpret) Scripture and issue Canon based on being led by the Almighty. So, whether or not you are a Catholic, just calling him a "good man" doesn't cut it. He is more than that, and I as a Jew am willing to admit that.

Yes, G-d does not change. But our ability to understand G-d better does. It's alot like the Doppler Effect: same set of tones, but the pitches sound different, based on your distance to them.

Thank you. I don't have a lot of answers, but I know when somebody's words match my thoughts and heart.

“Through humility, soul searching, and prayerful contemplation we have gained a new understanding of certain dogmas. The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity. God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device. Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God.”

Further;

“God is changing and evolving as we are, For God lives in us and in our hearts. When we spread love and kindness in the world, we touch our own divinity and recognize it. The Bible is a beautiful holy book, but like all great and ancient works, some passages are outdated. Some even call for intolerance or judgement. The time has come to see these verses as later interpolations, contrary to the message of love and truth, which otherwise radiates through scripture. In accordance with our new understanding, we will begin to ordain women as cardinals, bishops and priests. In the future, it is my hope that we will have a woman pope one day. Let no door be closed to women that is open to men!”

I don't care what anybody says, nor that I am not Catholic. I love this pontiff.

A lot of what he is now saying addresses the doubts that I have faced over the past ten years or so. I cannot place my faith in some spiritual bully. I see too much ugliness in those who call themselves by his name. The things they say and do repel people from God, not draw them closer.

Am a big ol Jew and love the man as well. :) But this...Now I worry for his safety. An honest Pope? Uh-oh...

church looses money b/c no one needs to pay for baptisms or any of that other free ride to heaven stuff.

While there are clear contradictions, the book was written by jews and jews hated outsiders, editing the book, again, isn't going to work.

And since when does catholic intolerance drive people off when islam is way harsher and draws people in?

wear high heels and a mini to church and you risk getting tsked at, do that in islam and you risk a whipping with an actual whip.

Catholic Encyclopedia says there's no literal hell as well (or at least explains the various ideas about it none of which explaining where it is in time/space.)
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Hell

Hell didn't exist until Catholicism did and said it does. The idea doesn't exist in Judaism. The eternally punished in Judaism just don't get ressurected, while the good people do.

As to Adam and Eve, it is widely accepted as a parable and not a historical reality. More importantly though, it's not an original idea and the Genesis creation story is a rip-off of the older Epic of Gilgamesh.

Best regards, Jeri

1.) Jeshuah himself spoke in parables. In fact, when you statistically measure the quotes of Jeshuah from the 4 Gospels (Matthäus, Markus, Lukas, Johannes), he is quoted more often speaking in parables than not. This tells us quite automatically that not everything in the bible is to be interpreted literally - for Jeshuah himself did not want people to do that. He wanted them to extract the main idea of the parable and apply it to their lives, plain and simple.

2.) In the Torah, there is no Hell. There is a sh'e'ol - a waiting and there is a B'Sefer Chayyim (Book of Life), but there is no Hell.

Not according to the Torah He doesn't. G-d changes not. That is what is in your book, Stat. In the Torah there are over 400 references to hell - I posted approximately 2 dozen scriptures from Psalms alone referencing hell. ( you can look up my thread ) It is in there. More times than in the New Testament.

The Pope is a human being, fallible, capable of making mistakes, sinning, "deceiving"... the catholic people are human beings, fallible, capable of making mistakes in judgment and BEING Deceived.... yes.. in these times it doesn't suprise me this man was able to make it into the highest office of the RCC.

listen, the apostle Paul warned us there would be false prophets /teachers / church leaders that would creep into the church in the end days. Catholics must THINK because this mans interpretation of God is new age. It isn't based on biblical scripture or truth.

The bible doesn't have any scripture describing the office of pope. It is virtually non existent. Peter was a married man. Jesus healed his mother in law. The disciples were married - some of them - why did the RCC make a law that man could not marry? To control him. Man needs no mediator between himself and God yet the RCC says you must go through them to have that relationship with God. It isn't true. The bible is very clear that the Holy Spirit is the author and revelator of the Scriptures. The bible says No man needs to teach you. It is the job of the Holy Spirit to teach man. Not the pope. He's just a man.

I know you are Jewish and I think you are very precious, Stat. I don't agree with you guys but I respect your feelings and will leave this as my final response on the subject.

- Jeri

Catholic Encyclopedia says there's no literal hell as well (or at least explains the various ideas about it none of which explaining where it is in time/space.)
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Hell

Hell didn't exist until Catholicism did and said it does. The idea doesn't exist in Judaism. The eternally punished in Judaism just don't get ressurected, while the good people do.

As to Adam and Eve, it is widely accepted as a parable and not a historical reality. More importantly though, it's not an original idea and the Genesis creation story is a rip-off of the older Epic of Gilgamesh.

Nor do we believe that Moshe wrote all five books of the Pentateuch. In fact, we have identified 5 distinct authors who wrote over about 170 years time.... :) :)

Best regards, Jeri

Not according to the Torah He doesn't. G-d changes not. That is what is in your book, Stat. In the Torah there are over 400 references to hell - I posted approximately 2 dozen scriptures from Psalms alone referencing hell. ( you can look up my thread ) It is in there. More times than in the New Testament.

The Pope is a human being, fallible, capable of making mistakes, sinning, "deceiving"... the catholic people are human beings, fallible, capable of making mistakes in judgment and BEING Deceived.... yes.. in these times it doesn't suprise me this man was able to make it into the highest office of the RCC.

listen, the apostle Paul warned us there would be false prophets /teachers / church leaders that would creep into the church in the end days. Catholics must THINK because this mans interpretation of God is new age. It isn't based on biblical scripture or truth.

The bible doesn't have any scripture describing the office of pope. It is virtually non existent. Peter was a married man. Jesus healed his mother in law. The disciples were married - some of them - why did the RCC make a law that man could not marry? To control him. Man needs no mediator between himself and God yet the RCC says you must go through them to have that relationship with God. It isn't true. The bible is very clear that the Holy Spirit is the author and revelator of the Scriptures. The bible says No man needs to teach you. It is the job of the Holy Spirit to teach man. Not the pope. He's just a man.

I know you are Jewish and I think you are very precious, Stat. I don't agree with you guys but I respect your feelings and will leave this as my final response on the subject.

- Jeri

No Torah includes the word 'hell.' If it does it's an OT, not a Torah (and not a very well translated one.) As you'll see at the CE link I posted above, the Catholic idea of hell came from the Jewish sheol, yet sheol isn't hell as currently thought of now.

Best regards, Jeri

- Jeri

Sh'eol mentioned in Torah or Haftorah has absolutely no resemblance to the Catholic version of "Hell", where fire licks at your body and red figures with pitchforks in their hands do you harm. Nope, nothing like that in the Torah, sorry to say.

I do, however, completely respect your opinion. We can agree to disagree and that is what makes a true beginning to an internet association, perhaps even an internet friendship.

However, I see nothing in the Pope's words that goes against Canon. He is the appointed Rock of Peter and is SUPPOSED to issue G-d's opinion, so to speak. Were there nothing ever new to say, then there would be no reason to have a Pope, n'est ce'pas?

Back to the Pope, can Popes be impeached or otherwise forcibly removed from office? Saying there's no hell, and some of the Bible is obsolete probably isn't going to go over well to everyone. Last time a clegyman said there was no hell he was ex-communicated. :)

'Nobody Goes to Hell': Minister Labeled a Heretic

'Nobody Goes to Hell': Minister Labeled a Heretic
By BILL WEIR. July 12, 2007

I respect your opinion too, Stat. To be clear I wasn't referring to over 400 scriptures descibing hell as an opinion though. The scriptures are there in black and white. That is Gods word. Not my opinion.

In my bible the word hell is used. Yes. King David referenced hell, the pit, Sheol in Psalms. The descriptions of hell are quite vivid and unmistakable. How many times does he reference "the pit" - another description of hell? Don't get hung up on the word - Sheol is hell.

In the Old Testament which was first known as the Torah and is STILL known as the Torah by Jews ( which is why I call it the Torah and not the OT ) the place known as hell is referenced over 400 times.

I respect you and thank you for the dialogue this morning. Have an awesome day!

Further;

"All religions are true..." 5...4...3...:) Guess now we just wait for loud noises.

Hell would be obsolete anyways, since Jesus died for our sins, nobody even gets sent there, Jesus already covered the tab.

Forum List

Back