Popeyes manager fired for refusing to pay back $400 taken in armed robbery

Update from KHOU-TV:

Marissa Holcomb, who is a mother of three with a fourth child on the way, had a meeting with Z & H Foods owner Amin Dhanani on Wednesday, a day after our original story aired of her firing.

"He just apologized and pretty much offered me if I wanted to go back to his business and work there again," she said.
Dhanani refused to talk on camera Wednesday, but his company released a statement that reads:

"We deeply regret the way this matter was handled. We are committed to continuing to work with Ms. Holcomb, and we apologize to her, our employees, the public and other franchise operators of the Popeyes system. We have let them down and are committed to do better."

We also contacted the Popeyes corporate office in Georgia.

They initially referred us back to the local franchisee, but the CEO Cheryl Bachelder released the following statement Wednesday evening.

"We recently became aware of a story in Houston involving a Popeyes restaurant and employee. The restaurant is operated by an independent franchisee of the Popeyes brand. We have spoken to the local franchise owner of the restaurant, and he has taken immediate action to reach out to the employee to apologize and rectify the situation. While the facts are gathered, we will closely monitor this until it is appropriately resolved. We deeply regret the distress this situation has caused."

Holcomb is not only being offered her old position, but $2,000 in back pay. For the pregnant mother of three, the decision is tough.

"I do need a way to support my kids," she says. "I don't want to go back to a business where I'm treated the same and I just get pushed back out if something else happened."
--- KHOU.com
Yup. They fucked up on how they fired her, not why they fired her. Sigh. So if she goes back to work, she will again not do her job and dump the extra cash..which is an open invitation for another asshole to go rob them again.
Could you please explain how the robbers know in advance that she is not putting money in the safe as she is supposed to? And if they know ahead of time she is not putting money in the safe, to which she has no access, but leaving it in the cash drawer for easy access, why did the robber first ask her, at gunpoint, to open the safe? I mean seriously. Do you people think at all about this stuff? Think it out why don't you?

He has eyes?????

And how does he know how much is in the drawer? He has X-ray vision?

Pop, you just broke a major clue in the investigation --- Superman did it!

Are you really THAT ignorant?

Never mind, the answer is obvious.

Looks like a million dollars of bad publicity over $400 is catching up with Popeyes

However, by Thursday afternoon the chief executive of Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen weighed in.
"We recently became aware of a story in Houston involving a Popeyes restaurant and employee," CEO Cheryl Bachelder said in a statement. "We have spoken to the local franchise owner of the restaurant, and he has taken immediate action to reach out to the employee to apologize and rectify the situation.
While the facts are gathered, we will closely monitor this until it is appropriately resolved," she said. "We deeply regret the distress this situation has caused."

good.

If the story is true, she's fired for not paying back the money taken by a robber, which is just over the top scuzzy. Since when do retail workers have to compensate their employer when they get robbed?
why did the owner/management not have insurance for this type of event? if the owner/management really believes that person in that office of private trust was being deficient; it should come from that portion of the wage that may correspond to that level of authority. Why wasn't management more responsible than labor.

It may be that insurance didn't pay out the claim because procedure wasn't followed. Usually policies such as limiting cash till amounts are in compliance with insurance contracts. The point is, while she may have been wrong in not following the policy, the company should still be gracious enough to absorb the loss instead of billing somebody who lives paycheck to paycheck. They can overcome a $400 loss much easier than a poor worker. It's just scuzzy.

So what sort of punishment should they have given out for breaking the rules. It is scummy of them, but for all we know the robber cased the place and noticed this manager was tardy in putting $$ in the safe.

Was there evidence that the robber was actually studying the safe deposits made? Burglars do their homework, but robbers are usually very impulsive. I didn't question their right to fire her, I just think it's scuzzy they fired her because she couldn't pull $400 out of her back pocket instead of paying her rent.

Giving back the $400 was an out for her to keep her job. If they just would have fired her for breaking policy I wonder if people would be so butthurt over this.

It's their right and I never argued otherwise. But let's face it, they're firing her over $200, not $400 because that's probably the amount of excessive cash in the register, but that didn't stop them from trying to get a full $400 out of her. It would serve them right if she had professional counseling for the trauma of being robbed and billed it to Worker's Comp.

The OP article posted with this thread SAID nothing about her being a shift manager, dumbass. That info was brought into the thread unsubstantiated-- without a link, which is why I CORRECTLY challenged it, so you can drop to your knees and bite my ass.

Now if you waltz through life believing everything anybody says without backing it up, bring your wallet, I have this bridge...

:badgrin: old codgers having a temper tantrum always amuse me.....wipe the spit (if that's what it is) off your chin......you stepped in it...it happens.

Update from KHOU-TV:

Marissa Holcomb, who is a mother of three with a fourth child on the way, had a meeting with Z & H Foods owner Amin Dhanani on Wednesday, a day after our original story aired of her firing.

"He just apologized and pretty much offered me if I wanted to go back to his business and work there again," she said.
Dhanani refused to talk on camera Wednesday, but his company released a statement that reads:

"We deeply regret the way this matter was handled. We are committed to continuing to work with Ms. Holcomb, and we apologize to her, our employees, the public and other franchise operators of the Popeyes system. We have let them down and are committed to do better."

We also contacted the Popeyes corporate office in Georgia.

They initially referred us back to the local franchisee, but the CEO Cheryl Bachelder released the following statement Wednesday evening.

"We recently became aware of a story in Houston involving a Popeyes restaurant and employee. The restaurant is operated by an independent franchisee of the Popeyes brand. We have spoken to the local franchise owner of the restaurant, and he has taken immediate action to reach out to the employee to apologize and rectify the situation. While the facts are gathered, we will closely monitor this until it is appropriately resolved. We deeply regret the distress this situation has caused."

Holcomb is not only being offered her old position, but $2,000 in back pay. For the pregnant mother of three, the decision is tough.

"I do need a way to support my kids," she says. "I don't want to go back to a business where I'm treated the same and I just get pushed back out if something else happened."
--- KHOU.com
Yup. They fucked up on how they fired her, not why they fired her. Sigh. So if she goes back to work, she will again not do her job and dump the extra cash..which is an open invitation for another asshole to go rob them again.
Could you please explain how the robbers know in advance that she is not putting money in the safe as she is supposed to? And if they know ahead of time she is not putting money in the safe, to which she has no access, but leaving it in the cash drawer for easy access, why did the robber first ask her, at gunpoint, to open the safe? I mean seriously. Do you people think at all about this stuff? Think it out why don't you?

He has eyes?????

That's all you got?
Can you walk into a Popeye's right now and tell me how much is in their drawer? From the outside?

This is going to be tough on the owner. He will have to cut down on the number of napkins that he puts in each drive through order for at least 2 weeks....

I'm sure that the owner will show compassion in the end. Maybe he will give her a 20% discount on a family bucket of chicken when the baby is born.

Corporate slapped the owner around and now he is begging her to come back with $2000 in back wages

He has eyes?????

That's all you got?
Can you walk into a Popeye's right now and tell me how much is in their drawer? From the outside?

I noticed that too, that people here are trying to say the robber studied the place and noticed that deposits weren't being made. They just aren't like that. They're impulsive, unthinking animals and this one just got lucky.

The OP article posted with this thread SAID nothing about her being a shift manager, dumbass. That info was brought into the thread unsubstantiated-- without a link, which is why I CORRECTLY challenged it, so you can drop to your knees and bite my ass.

Now if you waltz through life believing everything anybody says without backing it up, bring your wallet, I have this bridge...

:badgrin: old codgers having a temper tantrum always amuse me.....wipe the spit (if that's what it is) off your chin......you stepped in it...it happens.

Fuck with the bull and you get the horn, Bull Short. I ain't taking that shit from the likes of you. Funny how you had to remove your own quote that I just busted you on:

I understand your embarrassment for claiming earlier she "wasn't a manager"...typical shoot first aim later leftist ready to condemn the "evil company" that hired all those people.

Wassamatta? Embarrassed?

I'm sure that the owner will show compassion in the end. Maybe he will give her a 20% discount on a family bucket of chicken when the baby is born.

Corporate slapped the owner around and now he is begging her to come back with $2000 in back wages

And I bet that $2k comes with an insurance company-style rider where she has to agree not to sue them. IOW a corporate bribe.

He has eyes?????

That's all you got?

Depends on the Popeyes. In some casesi could come close. These transactions after all are NOT DONE BEHIND A STEEL CURTAIN. it doesn't take a ROCKET SCIENTIST to see the number of customers, the method of payment and the size of the order. (See, I RAN A FAST FOOD RESTAURANT and was SCHOOLED in SECURITY, including HOW THIEVES CASED US!)

Good Lord, get a clue!!!!

He has eyes?????

That's all you got?

I noticed that too, that people here are trying to say the robber studied the place and noticed that deposits weren't being made. They just aren't like that. They're impulsive, unthinking animals and this one just got lucky.

Exactly -- it ain't like he's George Clooney planning out Ocean's Twelve. He takes whatever he can get.

And he still went for the safe first. When you're a thief with a gun in the act, seconds count. You wouldn't piss time away trying to open a safe if you knew there was an easier take in the drawer.

And I bet that $2k comes with an insurance company-style rider where she has to agree not to sue them. IOW a corporate bribe.

I'm just glad they're offering her job back. Firing a pregnant woman after she had a gun stuck in her face is just scuzzy. By the way, more often than not, when safe deposits aren't made, it's usually because they are extremely busy and it got put on the back burner. It's like some of the people here have never worked fast food before and don't have a friggin clue what these people go through.

why did the owner/management not have insurance for this type of event? if the owner/management really believes that person in that office of private trust was being deficient; it should come from that portion of the wage that may correspond to that level of authority. Why wasn't management more responsible than labor.

It may be that insurance didn't pay out the claim because procedure wasn't followed. Usually policies such as limiting cash till amounts are in compliance with insurance contracts. The point is, while she may have been wrong in not following the policy, the company should still be gracious enough to absorb the loss instead of billing somebody who lives paycheck to paycheck. They can overcome a $400 loss much easier than a poor worker. It's just scuzzy.

So what sort of punishment should they have given out for breaking the rules. It is scummy of them, but for all we know the robber cased the place and noticed this manager was tardy in putting $$ in the safe.

Was there evidence that the robber was actually studying the safe deposits made? Burglars do their homework, but robbers are usually very impulsive. I didn't question their right to fire her, I just think it's scuzzy they fired her because she couldn't pull $400 out of her back pocket instead of paying her rent.

Giving back the $400 was an out for her to keep her job. If they just would have fired her for breaking policy I wonder if people would be so butthurt over this.

It's their right and I never argued otherwise. But let's face it, they're firing her over $200, not $400 because that's probably the amount of excessive cash in the register, but that didn't stop them from trying to get a full $400 out of her. It would serve them right if she had professional counseling for the trauma of being robbed and billed it to Worker's Comp.

I think that would be legitimate.

He has eyes?????

That's all you got?

Depends on the Popeyes. In some casesi could come close. These transactions after all are NOT DONE BEHIND A STEEL CURTAIN. it doesn't take a ROCKET SCIENTIST to see the number of customers, the method of payment and the size of the order. (See, I RAN A FAST FOOD RESTAURANT and was SCHOOLED in SECURITY, including HOW THIEVES CASED US!)

So now your claim is that the robber was sitting in the lobby, the only place where he can see all this from, for hours on end to see how many customers paid cash. Funny how I didn't see any of this in the article.

:lol: Most robbers get away with multiple hits before they get caught and they usually get caught because they get careless. They forget how careful they were at first and it seems easy. Notice in these pics there were no or few customers at the moment he made his move? He cased the job and knew when to start the robbery....he's done it before.

I'm just glad they're offering her job back. Firing a pregnant woman after she had a gun stuck in her face is just scuzzy. By the way, more often than not, when safe deposits aren't made, it's usually because they are extremely busy and it got put on the back burner. It's like some of the people here have never worked fast food before and don't have a friggin clue what these people go through.

I might actually agree. It was a tough, tough business in the good old days when staffing was easy. Now a days you couldn't pay me enough to run a fast food joint.

He has eyes?????

That's all you got?

So the fact remains, that would be a "no". You have no idea how much is in there, and "a lot" is not an acceptable answer. Go to the bank and try to make a withdrawal and write "a lot" under Amount.

The fact remains, the drawer, from the outside, gives no clue whether it's packed or not. And therefore it's not the "incentive to rob the place" the blame-the-victim-forgive-the-thug crowd so desperately want it to be. It just isn't.

Now if your point is that a busy store will tend to have more in the till -- well no shit Sherlock. Even the thug figured that out.

Fuck with the bull and you get the horn, Bull Short. I ain't taking that shit from the likes of you. Funny how you had to remove your own quote that I just busted you on:

I understand your embarrassment for claiming earlier she "wasn't a manager"...typical shoot first aim later leftist ready to condemn the "evil company" that hired all those people.

Wassamatta? Embarrassed?

WTF? Settle down..you're a fool....we already knew that....this time you got caught at it...it's funny, not the end of the world. :itsok:

He has eyes?????

That's all you got?

So now your claim is that the robber was sitting in the lobby, the only place where he can see all this from, for hours on end to see how many customers paid cash. Funny how I didn't see any of this in the article.

Where did I say that?

Good god, rocket science again?

Forum List

Back