Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

LOL. Poor retard losing the argument. Ok, let me take you seriously.

In the cut/paste you provided, where does it show anyone forcing you to use solar panels?

And, while you are at it, show us why we shouldn't call you a retard. Go.

My utility is forced, I buy from my utility.
It's not that complicated.

That's ok, you'll do better next time.

My utility is forced, I buy from my utility.
It's not that complicated.

That's ok, you'll do better next time.
Nope. No one is forcing you to use the utility. Either move to a different location or use a generator and stay off the grid.

Get it, retard? What's the matter do I have to teach you everything? Now, you know why I call you a retard. :itsok:

It would cost trillions to build that. And, we don't know if even have the raw materials on the planet to do it.
How much do we spend on obtaining, burning, and cleaning up after fossils.
And that money is just burned.
Solar is an investment.

More expensive, less reliable energy is a bad investment.
More expensive?
Are you including the $20B in annual subsidies in addition to costs?
Are you including the cost of the environmental damage?
NO?
I thought not.
Those inconvenient truths are what makes your statement foolish.

More expensive?
NO?
I thought not.

More expensive?

Yes. More expensive.

No I'm not including the much more than $20 billion in annual green subsidies.

No I'm not including the cost of the environmental damage to build the panels.

I thought not.

For once, we're in agreement. You'll do better next time.

More expensive?
NO?
I thought not.
Low energy density technologies like solar are far more costly per btu than high energy density fossil fuels.

And I haven't even added in the cost they should be carrying to be an effective base load option. As it stands now it's not. It intermittent. So the generating efficiency is extremely low relative to fossil fuels.

Apparently at current technology, I will show you a picture of how many solar panels it would take to power the U.S. That is both day and night. (With the stored energy for nighttime) The square in yellow shows the total amount of area in solar panels it would take to do it. Argue with that you naysayers.

View attachment 538042
s-l500.jpg

More expensive?

Yes. More expensive.

No I'm not including the much more than $20 billion in annual green subsidies.

No I'm not including the cost of the environmental damage to build the panels.

I thought not.

For once, we're in agreement. You'll do better next time.
So you have nothing of value or intelligence to say?
I thought not.

Low energy density technologies like solar are far more costly per btu than high energy density fossil fuels.

And I haven't even added in the cost they should be carrying to be an effective base load option. As it stands now it's not. It intermittent. So the generating efficiency is extremely low relative to fossil fuels.
Really?
How long does it take to burn a gallon of oil?
How long do solar panels, wind turbines, and the rest last.

Try thinking beyond the end of your nose.

Florida is the "Sunshine State".

Typically to run a house you need 7KWs. That is usually a whole unobstructed roof for a typical middle class house. By the way, most roofs are not unobstructed because of trees.

Only about 15-20 days a year mostly in the summer with very little cloud cover like we had last week with the high pressure over the state will you get anywhere close to 7KWs.

Typically in the summer with the sun high but some cloud cover in the afternoon you would only average about 4.5KWs during day light hours.

In the dry months with very few clouds but lower sun expect 3.5 KW on average.

Probably 50 days a year with overcast where you would be lucky to average .5-1KW.

The further north you go it would be worse.

Solar for home use is only economically viable for a narrow band in the SW US.

Massive commercial solar arrays are just as shitty. Big cost, little real output.

Then you have the stupid solar array north of Tampa. Three weeks ago a very low level tornado came through and scattered the panels over an area of eight miles. God forbid we have a hurricane.

Badger's three 100W panels are mounted on a trailer behind the ebike, and can recharge while the vehicle is moving.

Really?

Yes, really. Energy isn't measured in time, dummy. Energy is measured in btu's.

Solar power and battery technology are low energy density power sources.

The renewable energy cheerleader bozos don't quite fathom how fringe their green aspirations are...particularly with solar. :coffee: It's a joke.

Give me a yell when solar clears 5% of US electricity generation.

In the meantime.....:bigbed::bigbed:

Badger's three 100W panels are mounted on a trailer behind the ebike, and can recharge while the vehicle is moving.
300W will power a vehicle, with a trailer and a person????

What happens when your trip takes you through shade? What happens when a cloud covers the sun? Do you stop in the middle of the street?

By the way, my typical experience with 100W panels is that only with the absolute best conditions will you get even into the 90W range. Hardly ever 100W. 60-70W is more typical.

I see uninformed people arguing a subject based on what they read, but obviously nobody here has experienced living with solar power. Some here,(the ebike dude for one) are simply liars.You are hearing a 30+ year veteran of living off-grid right here.
The literature that the industry puts out is filled with outright lies. Without trying it yourself, you really have no way of knowing. Theoretical data is simply not the same as real world experience.
People like me are rare, but we are around.
The most important point to be made shouldn't be what battery technology is best, or how long panels last or how many cloudy days there are.

The most important point should be how to reduce power consumption. In other words, conservation.
Most of you poor fools are tied to a power grid, and for political reasons will never be allowed the opportunity to try anything other than being tied to the grid.

Really?

Not very long. Quick, reliable energy is great.

Forum List

Back