Practicing religion without force

I did not volunteer to be counseled on my spiritual choices or to be proselytized. Some of you might consider what would have happened if I had told Marie that she needed Buddha and that Christianity wasn't her true path, or anyone's true path at all. Further, that I had a group of Buddhists posting on here that would put her down when she objected to me 'questioning her faith' and tell her she had no right to her feelings.

Are you kidding? Do you read any other forums on this site?

Christians get told the Christianity is based on nothing but myth and so many other things all the time on this site. Much, much, much more so than Buddhists do. All you need to do is read some of the left wing fanatics that post here and you will find it happening all the time. In fact, a very good place to start might be any of the hundreds of threads on evolution.

I suppose most of us have just learned to deal with it rather than get too upset about it.

Immie

Yes, I see some of the posts that say that Christianity is nothing but myth. I don't post on the evolution thread because I'm not interested in creation theology.

My point is this. If I had done to Marie what she did to me in that post, folks here would have been ALL OVER ME.

I think what you would have found is that people would have defended their faith rather than lashing out at you. True there would have been some that lashed out at you, but the reasonable ones, such as Marie or Syrenn or Foxfyre (notice that I did not include myself) would have simply discussed your point of view.

And typically, the fanatics on here that declare Christianity to be based upon myth do so in deliberately rude tones. Not the way you would do it, right?

Immie

Last edited:

Christians get told the Christianity is based on nothing but myth and so many other things all the time on this site. Much, much, much more so than Buddhists do. All you need to do is read some of the left wing fanatics that post here and you will find it happening all the time. In fact, a very good place to start might be any of the hundreds of threads on evolution.

I suppose most of us have just learned to deal with it rather than get too upset about it.

Immie

Yes, I see some of the posts that say that Christianity is nothing but myth. I don't post on the evolution thread because I'm not interested in creation theology.

My point is this. If I had done to Marie what she did to me in that post, folks here would have been ALL OVER ME.

I think what you would have found is that people would have defended their faith rather than lashing out at you. True there would have been some that lashed out at you, but the reasonable ones, such as Marie or Syrenn or Foxfyre (notice that I did not include myself) would have simply discussed your point of view.

And typically, the fanatics on here that declare Christianity to be based upon myth do so in deliberately rude tones. Not the way you would do it, right?

Immie

What exactly did I say that you interpreted as 'lashing out' at marie? I told her the post hurt and offended me and I said that I knew she hadn't intended that.

I'm sure all you Christians (Marie, Immie and Foxfyre) would have done a better responding than I did. I have times when I'm skillful and times when I'm not. I suppose people will continue to give me flack for telling Marie she hurt me and offended me. A wise person told me in a PM it would have been better if I had communicated my hurt with marie privately. In retrospect, I agree.

Cause and effect. Clearly, it's not ok for me to publically say I'm hurt and offended by something.

Last edited:

Immie

Immie

:eek::eek:

Now you have done it! Labeling me as....OMG... reasonable! I am hurt AND offended! I am scarred for life i tell you..... Life

Last edited:

Immie

What exactly did I say that you interpreted as 'lashing out' at marie? I told her the post hurt and offended me and I said that I knew she hadn't intended that.

I'm sure all you Christians (Marie, Immie and Foxfyre) would have done a better responding than I did. I have times when I'm skillful and times when I'm not. I suppose people will continue to give me flack for telling Marie she hurt me and offended me. A wise person told me in a PM it would have been better if I had communicated my hurt with marie privately. In retrospect, I agree.

Cause and effect. Clearly, it's not ok for me to publically say I'm hurt and offended by something.

Are you getting tired? I didn't say you lashed out at Marie.

Maybe you should take a break and come back later and re-read this part of the thread.

For when you do, I said that reasonable Christians would not have lashed out at you. I did not say "as you did them". And the reason I used the words "lashed out at you", was because you had said, "would have been ALL OVER ME" which I interpret to mean "lash out at".

Immie

Immie

:eek: How did I get put in a category with Marie and Foxfyre. I'm honored but undeserving.

Immie

Now you have done it! Labeling me as....OMG... reasonable! I am hurt AND offended! I am scared for life i tell you..... Life!

I'm sorry, but you deserve to be in that category, like it or not.

Immie

Immie

Maybe you should take a break and come back later and re-read this part of the thread.

For when you do, I said that reasonable Christians would not have lashed out at you. I did not say "as you did them". And the reason I used the words "lashed out at you", was because you had said, "would have been ALL OVER ME" which I interpret to mean "lash out at".

Immie

Maybe I should take a break? OK. Too bad you didn't comment on this part of my post instead of grabbing onto the term 'lashing out'.

I have times when I'm skillful and times when I'm not. I suppose people will continue to give me flack for telling Marie she hurt me and offended me. A wise person told me in a PM it would have been better if I had communicated my hurt with marie privately. In retrospect, I agree.

See ya.

Sky

Immie

Now you have done it! Labeling me as....OMG... reasonable! I am hurt AND offended! I am scared for life i tell you..... Life!

I'm sorry, but you deserve to be in that category, like it or not.

Immie

laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif
laugh3.gif

You are so going to ruin my bad ass image!

And i will still be scarred for life!

Last edited:

Sure it is.

Are you trying to hurt my feelings when you won't respond to me or am I on ignore, how would someone know if they are on an ignore list here anyway?

Sure it is.

Are you trying to hurt my feelings when you won't respond to me or am I on ignore, how would someone know if they are on an ignore list here anyway?

I am not purposely ignoring you. I may have missed your post. I don't know you. I'm certainly not trying to hurt you in any way.

My computer is acting up. I see that you put a link to a book and I wasn't able to open the link. Is your point that I was offended because I'm offensive? I have no comment on that. You're welcome to think that.

Last edited:

Immie

Maybe I should take a break? OK. Too bad you didn't comment on this part of my post instead of grabbing onto the term 'lashing out'.

I have times when I'm skillful and times when I'm not. I suppose people will continue to give me flack for telling Marie she hurt me and offended me. A wise person told me in a PM it would have been better if I had communicated my hurt with marie privately. In retrospect, I agree.

See ya.

Sky

You don't understand, I saw that part. I knew what you were speaking about. I tried not to make a big deal about it... for um, personal reasons. I'm glad you know a wise person. :D Wish I knew who that might be. :lol:

Immie

Immie

See ya.

Sky

You don't understand, I saw that part. I knew what you were speaking about. I tried not to make a big deal about it... for um, personal reasons. I'm glad you know a wise person. :D Wish I knew who that might be. :lol:

Immie

Since the wisdom I received was in a PM I cannot reveal my sources.:lol:

See ya.

Sky

Immie

Since the wisdom I received was in a PM I cannot reveal my sources.:lol:

Rats! Well, please have whoever it was send me some wisdom. I need a frigging job and a car now.

Immie

I didn't say Marie's post was an attack. If you read my initial response to her you will see that I said I knew she meant no harm. Nonetheless, I was hurt and offended by her post.

Again, Marie and I have worked this out. What is it with you and Newby that you haven't?

If you and Newby are aspiring counselors there is a lot I can teach you. It's my profession.

Counseling 101: You don't tell someone they have no right to their feelings. What you are teaching people,when they are in counseling, is self-acceptance.

Did i say you have no right to your feelings? And for someone who is a counselor...i am surprised you did not know what a Freudian slip was and or recognize one when it occurred.

No. You didn't say that. Newby did. Newby said I had no right to feel hurt or offended and then started polling other posters to see if they would all agree I had no right to feel hurt.

Okay, Sky, so now we have the bottom line. Should anyone care if you feel hurt then when as Allie said, you 'feel hurt' at the drop of a hat. Any reasonable/normal person would not have been offended or hurt by that post since there was absolutely nothing hurtful or offensive about it. And if you say that I'm insinuating that you're not 'normal' or 'reasonable', then you would be correct. And I'm sure you'll be 'hurt' by that as well, but I have a right to express my feelings, just as you do, don't I? So, the bottom line is that anyone should be able to post whatever they want to express, and if you're 'hurt' by it, too bad, especially whenever what is accepted as 'reasonable' by most is judged 'offensive' by you.

I agree. Sometimes people don't mean to hurt your feelings but they do. That's what Marie and I figured out. I never thought she was intending to be hurtful or offensive, but she still hurt and offended me by her post nonetheless.

One of the reasons I think we got over it so fast, is that she apologized right away and was clearly concerned that she had hurt me.

Thank you for understanding.

sky

I think you need to toughen up a bit sky, and not take things so personally. This is a message board...and a rough one at that.

The point neyby and i both make to you is that if you dish it you also need to take it.

I take your point about reacting to posts.

As for 'toughening up' I'm not interested in getting to the point where foul language, insults, harshness are a habit for me. I will quit the forum before that happens to me.

Don't speak for Newby. Let's keep things straight between you and me. Newby and I are another relationship altogether. OK?

Yet, Marie used none of those things, she was very respectful and very kind. Being 'offended' or 'upset' with what she said was not a reasonable reaction, that's my opinion. And as you've stated many times throughout this thread, we are all welcome to express our opinions, aren't we?

I did not volunteer to be counseled on my spiritual choices or to be proselytized. Some of you might consider what would have happened if I had told Marie that she needed Buddha and that Christianity wasn't her true path, or anyone's true path at all. Further, that I had a group of Buddhists posting on here that would put her down when she objected to me 'questioning her faith' and tell her she had no right to her feelings.

Immie

Bullshit.

But then, you have a slanted view of things. Your perceptions are never accurate.

My perceptions are my perceptions. If I had insinuated that YOUR path of Christianity is invalid, YOU would have come unglued. That's my point.

I know we don't see eye to eye. I used to think we were friends inspite of that.

Christians get told that all the time, yet I don't run around saying how 'hurt' I am over it. It's a fact of life that people are not nice, you can run around your entire life being 'offended' or you can be confident in yourself and your beliefs and what others say about things close to your heart are then meaningless. Or, this is just all about getting attention and pity, which is a different ballgame altogether.

Sure it is.

I am not purposely ignoring you. I may have missed your post. I don't know you. I'm certainly not trying to hurt you in any way.

My computer is acting up. I see that you put a link to a book and I wasn't able to open the link. Is your point that I was offended because I'm offensive? I have no comment on that. You're welcome to think that.

The word Buddha means "the Enlightened One" and the practice is that one shouldn't look outward but should look inward for awareness and realization. Yet you choose to pass on some constructive criticism and totally ignore the suggestion of possible inner understanding: Bruised But Not Broken: Hidden scars - the shattering effects of unforgiveness . Which clearly suggests you either think you have all the answers or don't care to explore what others clearly can see. Not very Buddha of you

The point was you are often offended, but fail to see or even justify when others say you are being offensive. You didn't hurt me - I was being factitious, but that doesn't mean your smugness isn't offensive behavior.

If I had just posted the book title would have been so closed minded?

But then, you have a slanted view of things. Your perceptions are never accurate.

My perceptions are my perceptions. If I had insinuated that YOUR path of Christianity is invalid, YOU would have come unglued. That's my point.

I know we don't see eye to eye. I used to think we were friends inspite of that.

Christians get told that all the time, yet I don't run around saying how 'hurt' I am over it. It's a fact of life that people are not nice, you can run around your entire life being 'offended' or you can be confident in yourself and your beliefs and what others say about things close to your heart are then meaningless. Or, this is just all about getting attention and pity, which is a different ballgame altogether.

Sky is all about victimhood, but only for her.

She's also all about bringing it about..but if SKY is offensive, if SKY advocates for oppression, if SKY doesn't like what's being said...then Sky is all about victimizing others.

On a personal and global level. Because the truth is, if she had any power at all, she would shut down freedom and liberty so fast. You'd see those who *hurt* her crucified along Main Street, with their tongues cut out. You'd see Christians herded into buildings, locked in, and burned. You'd see children taken from their parents who are *forcing* them to listen to Christian doctrine, and raised in laboratories.

Those are the things Sky believes in. She has no problem victimizing others. She just lies about what she's doing, and hides it under that smarmy veneer of Buddhism.

Sky is all about victimhood, but only for her.

She's also all about bringing it about..but if SKY is offensive, if SKY advocates for oppression, if SKY doesn't like what's being said...then Sky is all about victimizing others.

On a personal and global level. Because the truth is, if she had any power at all, she would shut down freedom and liberty so fast. You'd see those who *hurt* her crucified along Main Street, with their tongues cut out. You'd see Christians herded into buildings, locked in, and burned. You'd see children taken from their parents who are *forcing* them to listen to Christian doctrine, and raised in laboratories.

Those are the things Sky believes in. She has no problem victimizing others. She just lies about what she's doing, and hides it under that smarmy veneer of Buddhism.

Gone off the deep end!!! :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back