President to use recess appointment for CFPB :-)

Obama has made fewer recess appointments than recent presidents...despite being more obstructed in his nominees than any other President.

Maybe it is his choices?

Still, he is the only President to make Recess Appointments while the Senate is not in Recess. As much as you want to avoid the issue, it is not going to go away. It is not for the President to set Senate Policy. It is not for the President to avoid advise and consent either.

I would say it is more of an abuse of power by repugs than Obama.

Wow, that really carries allot of weight. :lmao:

Obama has made fewer recess appointments than recent presidents...despite being more obstructed in his nominees than any other President.

That doesn't actually say much though, as the Republicans have kept the Senate in these repeated pro forma sessions.

Maybe you can fill us in in the history of Pro Forma Sessions. Please give Harry Reid a big fat wet kiss for me too. ;)

As I said earlier, both of these cases are part of a conflict between the Senate and the President over appointments (and the Senate's overuse of the filibuster more generally). Comparing these sessions to Reid keeping the Senate in pro forma sessions in 2007/2008 doesn't really work though, since a) it was an action taken by the Senate, as opposed to the House refusing to let the Senate adjourn and b) Bush's nominees would have failed on a floor vote anyway, since his party was in the minority.

Maybe it is his choices?

Still, he is the only President to make Recess Appointments while the Senate is not in Recess. As much as you want to avoid the issue, it is not going to go away. It is not for the President to set Senate Policy. It is not for the President to avoid advise and consent either.

Who's avoiding the issue? Let the "loyal opposition" make as a big a stink as they want about it.

obama never did like the Constitution. Ignoring it doesn't bother him one bit.

Really? He taught constitutional law for years. I wager he knows it better than any RW radio host does, including Mark Levin.

Never on the regular faculty, obama as an adjunct professor occasionally taught Constitutional law classes. Mark Levin as an attorney and professor was a Con law professor and has written several textbooks on the subject as well as non-fiction books that were not specifically written for use in law schools.

You would be wrong.

Obama is not the United States.

We pledge allegiance to the flag, not the President.

Military members swear to uphold and defend the Constitution, not the President.

And the left said dissent was patriotic -- right up until January of 2009.

No, Obama is President of the United States which makes him Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. Dissent still is patriotic. Are a lot of people on, oh say, MSNBC calling dissenters "treasonous" like they were on Fox during the Bush years?

My old stomping grounds was a military message board. I can't tell you how many times I was called a traitor by my fellow veterans for not supporting Bush's invasion of Iraq.
Do you similarly condemn the left's charging treason to anyone disagreeing with Obama's policies?

Lib Talker: 'Maybe Limbaugh Should Be Executed For Treason' | NewsBusters.org

MSNBC host redefines treason as GOP opposition to government spending - Spokane Conservative | Examiner.com

Tea party treason - phillyBurbs.com : Reader Voices: letter to the editor,

Treasonous Republicans Kill Jobs And Betray The American People

Or is that different? Somehow?

People on both sides say crappy stuff about the other.

You're still a numbnuts, though, for bringing this up in this thread in the first place.

That doesn't actually say much though, as the Republicans have kept the Senate in these repeated pro forma sessions.

Maybe you can fill us in in the history of Pro Forma Sessions. Please give Harry Reid a big fat wet kiss for me too. ;)

As I said earlier, both of these cases are part of a conflict between the Senate and the President over appointments (and the Senate's overuse of the filibuster more generally). Comparing these sessions to Reid keeping the Senate in pro forma sessions in 2007/2008 doesn't really work though, since a) it was an action taken by the Senate, as opposed to the House refusing to let the Senate adjourn and b) Bush's nominees would have failed on a floor vote anyway, since his party was in the minority.

The Constitution grants the Senate Authority to set it's own rules. It is for the Senate to decide and honor. The Senate was not in Recess. Deal with it.

The House GOP is using unsustainable arguments to not only not confirm a president's appoint but to prevent the two agencies from functioning.

GOP conservatives will fail on this one, hands down.

Rightfully and constitutionally so.

Aren't you shooting at the wrong basket Jake? Or is it that Progressive Statists are non Partisan when it comes to creating giant Government Bureaucracies? Power is Power in the end, right?

Jake and Barry are BFFs.

The House GOP is using unsustainable arguments to not only not confirm a president's appoint but to prevent the two agencies from functioning.

GOP conservatives will fail on this one, hands down.

Rightfully and constitutionally so.
Can you show me in the Constitution where the President was granted the power to decide when the Senate is in session?

Kthnxbai.

Actually they don't have enough Judges in their pockets to declare that yet. Obama will need a second term to ensure that, Comrade Dave #158339022711663. :eek:
This Administration has made its contempt for the Constitution and the rule of law quite plain.

No, Obama is President of the United States which makes him Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. Dissent still is patriotic. Are a lot of people on, oh say, MSNBC calling dissenters "treasonous" like they were on Fox during the Bush years?

My old stomping grounds was a military message board. I can't tell you how many times I was called a traitor by my fellow veterans for not supporting Bush's invasion of Iraq.
Do you similarly condemn the left's charging treason to anyone disagreeing with Obama's policies?

Lib Talker: 'Maybe Limbaugh Should Be Executed For Treason' | NewsBusters.org

MSNBC host redefines treason as GOP opposition to government spending - Spokane Conservative | Examiner.com

Tea party treason - phillyBurbs.com : Reader Voices: letter to the editor,

Treasonous Republicans Kill Jobs And Betray The American People

Or is that different? Somehow?

I would say it's stupid across the board, but if it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

Yay hypocrisy!

Can you show me in the Constitution where the President was granted the power to decide when the Senate is in session?

Kthnxbai.

Actually they don't have enough Judges in their pockets to declare that yet. Obama will need a second term to ensure that, Comrade Dave #158339022711663. :eek:
This Administration has made its contempt for the Constitution and the rule of law quite plain.

Your opinion and quite wrong.

obama never did like the Constitution. Ignoring it doesn't bother him one bit.

Really? He taught constitutional law for years. I wager he knows it better than any RW radio host does, including Mark Levin.

Never on the regular faculty, obama as an adjunct professor occasionally taught Constitutional law classes. Mark Levin as an attorney and professor was a Con law professor and has written several textbooks on the subject as well as non-fiction books that were not specifically written for use in law schools.

You would be wrong.

Obama wasn't tenure track, but he taught at UChicago for over a decade. He was a senior lecturer. That isn't a commentary on his ability, it's a commentary on his lack of desire to pursue the academy as a career. Current senior lecturers at UChicago include some of the most respected legal theorists in the country (Richard Posner, Richard Epstein) and federal appellate judges (Diane Wood, Frank Easterbrook).

Mark Levin isn't a professor and he's never written a textbook.

No, hypocrisy would be if I said it was right when one side does it, but wrong when the other side does it.

Then daveman agrees that Obama is right in what he is doing. I would support Bush in this situation, or Clinton, or Bush the Elder.

Congress's duty is to advise and consent, not obstruct.

Congress turned down the President's nominees.

They did their job.

Since the dipshit in chief now wants to subvert the Constitution on this matter, it IS the job of the Senate (minority) and the House (majority) to obstruct the President at every turn.

Fuck him. He's an elected President in a Constitutional REPUBLIC. He's not a fucking dictator.

Forum List

Back