President Trum probably does have the power to pardon himself

Trump 'could pardon himself but won't'

"
Trump 'could pardon himself over Russia but won't', says Giuliani"

Giuliani has claimed that Trump thinks he can pardon himself. Coming from a lawyer, this is a little bemusing.

Firstly because Trump, as president, could only be impeached.

If he were impeached, he'd no longer be president. If he were tried in a court of law, he'd not be president, if he were found guilty, he's still not be president, and not being president means he can't pardon himself.

um...where did trump say this? trump didn't say this and may not even think it. but that won't stop you from putting up an inflammatory headline now will it? read through the story and the closest you get is the mention of a letter and a lawyer talking.

so please - show me where trump himself said he can be pardoned based off your article.

"

Giuliani has claimed that Trump thinks he can pardon himself. Coming from a lawyer, this is a little bemusing.

If he were impeached, he'd no longer be president. If he were tried in a court of law, he'd not be president, if he were found guilty, he's still not be president, and not being president means he can't pardon himself.

"

Trump never stated that he thinks that he can pardon himself, you stupid ass. One of his former lawyers made the statement in a letter sent to the witch hunter. You worthless leftist traitors will post anything to demean Trump. Suck it, fool. Trump ain't going anywhere for the next seven years.

Someone can't read, I see. But you certainly know how to insult.

It's funny when someone calls another person an insult like "fool" and yet they didn't read the OP, they don't know what they're talking about.

We call it IRONY.
i read it. i didn't see anywhere in there where trump was quoted as being able to pardon himself.

please be specific then vs. play "my insults are cooler than yours".

I would pay money to see the collective meltdowns if he did.

You would permit the president to declare himself above the law so you could watch patriots get pissed off. What a perfect idiot.

The president, through his lawyers, has already declared himself to be above the law. He's wrong, but that's what his legal representatves have said.
no one is above the law. it's frustrating to see someone act like they are isn't it?

but i never saw you tell hillary she was above the law as she deleted and destroyed evidence.

I think a big point many are missing is that accepting a pardon means ACCEPTING GUILT. Trump pardoning himself would be a declaration of guilt and pretty much auto-ejection from office.

"

So do you have a supreme court rulling says he cant?

Ford pardoned Nixion, on no crimes..

It would be a violation of separation of powers to allow the court to have jurisdiction over an Elected President.

I think a big point many are missing is that accepting a pardon means ACCEPTING GUILT. Trump pardoning himself would be a declaration of guilt and pretty much auto-ejection from office.

No it would be around the same as Ford pardoning Nixion, or have we discussed before Trump pardoning Hillary .

It would be a violation of separation of powers to allow the court to have jurisdiction over an Elected President.

That's such utter crap and shows a complete lack of knowledge about the separation of powers.

Congress can IMPEACH the president and Supreme Court justices.

The President can veto most things Congress pass.

The Supreme Court can stop unconstitutional things the president or Congress does.

That's separation of powers. Each has power over other bodies.

"

So, before the headline is finished, you distinguish yourself as a liar. Certainly no less than we have become accustomed to from my panicking and Desperate Progressive good friends.

In my opinion, I think Mr. Giuliani threw this out like chum in the water for amusement in watching the Progressives react just as you have risen to the chum! :D

Another one who has no problem giving the president unchallenged power because he likes to watch patriots react. Brilliant.
You lefties had no problem not holding Obama or anyone in his administration accountable for their actions on anything. Not sure why you are whining about this now.

"

So, before the headline is finished, you distinguish yourself as a liar. Certainly no less than we have become accustomed to from my panicking and Desperate Progressive good friends.

In my opinion, I think Mr. Giuliani threw this out like chum in the water for amusement in watching the Progressives react just as you have risen to the chum! :D

Another one who has no problem giving the president unchallenged power because he likes to watch patriots react. Brilliant.
You lefties had no problem not holding Obama or anyone in his administration accountable for their actions on anything. Not sure why you are whining about this now.

False Equivalence

Not even remotely comparable.

You worship the most prolific liar who heads up the most corrupt administration in history. Back into your stinkhole, please.

"

Ford pardoned Nixon, not Nixion. And Nixon didn't pardon Nixon.

Second, A president can't be charged with crimes, he has to be impeached.

The third is that the "pardon" granted to Nixon seems to have been unconstitutional.

Read the Constitution.

" he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment."

You have to have been convicted of the offense against the US before you can be pardoned. Ford gave a pardon to Nixon BEFORE he'd been convicted of anything.

"

I had a problem with it. I'm on the left.

"

False Equivalence

Not even remotely comparable.

You worship the most prolific liar who heads up the most corrupt administration in history. Back into your stinkhole, please.
Incorrect. Obama (And Hillary) proved over and over that they knew they were above the law and you idiots on the left had no problem with it.

So you have no standing to whine over an OP title that is a blatant lefty lie.

Stop whining.

"

Ford pardoned Nixon, not Nixion. And Nixon didn't pardon Nixon.

Second, A president can't be charged with crimes, he has to be impeached.

The third is that the "pardon" granted to Nixon seems to have been unconstitutional.

Read the Constitution.

" he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment."

You have to have been convicted of the offense against the US before you can be pardoned. Ford gave a pardon to Nixon BEFORE he'd been convicted of anything.

If it was unconstitutional why didn't anyone take it up before the supreme court? It's been like 40 years??

In July, 2017, 2 weeks after news broke of Don, Jr's, meeting with Russians, it was reported that Trump was exploring his pardon powers.

Donald Trump 'explores ways to pardon himself and his family'

Jay Sekulow denied it, but Sekulow also denied - on 5 occasions - that Trump dictated the dishonest statement made in Don, Jr's name, about the meeting. Sekulow has now confirmed, in a memo to Mueller, that President Trump did dictate the statement. (Do they lie just for practice?)

For the actual statement itself, I think the President added a nice touch, in the bolded sentence below:

Trump Jr.'s full statement:

I was asked to have a meeting by an acquaintance I knew from the 2013 Miss Universe pageant with an individual who I was told might have information helpful to the campaign. I was not told her name prior to the meeting. I asked Jared and Paul to attend, but told them nothing of the substance. We had a meeting in June 2016. After pleasantries were exchanged, the woman stated that she had information that individuals connected to Russia were funding the Democratic National Committee and supporting Ms. Clinton. Her statements were vague, ambiguous and made no sense. No details or supporting information was provided or even offered. It quickly became clear that she had no meaningful information. She then changed subjects and began discussing the adoption of Russian children and mentioned the Magnitsky Act. It became clear to me that this was the true agenda all along and that the claims of potentially helpful information were a pretext for the meeting. I interrupted and advised her that my father was not an elected official, but rather a private citizen, and that her comments and concerns were better addressed if and when he held public office. The meeting lasted approximately 20 to 30 minutes. As it ended, my acquaintance apologized for taking up our time. That was the end of it and there was no further contact or follow-up of any kind. My father knew nothing of the meeting or these events.

I can't think of any reason Trump would need to pardon himself, nor can I think of a legitimate reason he would not answer questions from the Special Counsel.

"

but you have no problem lying in a subject line. still looking for where trump says he can pardon himself directly. where is it, please. all i've seen are RILE UP THE LEFT suggestions he said it and that's all the left, hell the right also needs anymore to prop up as "proof".

given the nature of fake news's biggest goal of getting people to spread it, way to go dude. it's not verified, not proven he said it but you're parading it around like its fact so you can show off your righteous indignation.

I can't think of any reason Trump would need to pardon himself, nor can I think of a legitimate reason he would not answer questions from the Special Counsel.
No reason the answers he already gave, in writing, shouldn't suffice then.

"

but you have no problem lying in a subject line. still looking for where trump says he can pardon himself directly. where is it, please. all i've seen are RILE UP THE LEFT suggestions he said it and that's all the left, hell the right also needs anymore to prop up as "proof".

given the nature of fake news's biggest goal of getting people to spread it, way to go dude. it's not verified, not proven he said it but you're parading it around like its fact so you can show off your righteous indignation.

As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong? In the meantime, the never ending Witch Hunt, led by 13 very Angry and Conflicted Democrats (& others) continues into the mid-terms!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 4, 2018

13 minutes ago, so frigid was just prescient.

Forum List

Back