President Trum probably does have the power to pardon himself

I think a big point many are missing is that accepting a pardon means ACCEPTING GUILT. Trump pardoning himself would be a declaration of guilt and pretty much auto-ejection from office.

No it would be around the same as Ford pardoning Nixion, or have we discussed before Trump pardoning Hillary .

aaaaand? Nixon has accepted the guilt by accepting the pardon.

What constitutes accepting a pardon, particularly one issued preemptively?
Good point. Did Nixon have to sign anything to accept his pardon?

Kristol had a good point about this….

He apparently was told by Gulianni that what he (Gulianni) does is get information out before the proverbial other shoe drops. It “softens the ground” for the crash. The leaking of the letter that was sent to Mueller was leaked by Trump’s lawyers seems to be a harbinger of something about to drop—according to Kristol.

More current link, in which Trump himself states he can pardon himself:

Trump: I have the right to pardon myself

74937936.jpg

Autoplay: On | Off
President Trump on Monday said he has the right to pardon himself but insisted he has no reason to do so because he has not committed a crime, doubling down on an argument his lawyers made to the special counsel leading the Russia investigation.

“As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong?” the president wrote in an early morning tweet.

“In the meantime, the never ending Witch Hunt, led by 13 very Angry and Conflicted Democrats (& others) continues into the mid-terms!”

I think a big point many are missing is that accepting a pardon means ACCEPTING GUILT. Trump pardoning himself would be a declaration of guilt and pretty much auto-ejection from office.

No it would be around the same as Ford pardoning Nixion, or have we discussed before Trump pardoning Hillary .

Basically if you do not refuse the pardon, you accept it.

Nixon accepted guilt:

...on September 8, 1974, [Ford] granted Nixon a "full, free, and absolute pardon", which ended any possibility of an indictment. Nixon then released a statement:

I was wrong in not acting more decisively and more forthrightly in dealing with Watergate, particularly when it reached the stage of judicial proceedings and grew from a political scandal into a national tragedy. No words can describe the depth of my regret and pain at the anguish my mistakes over Watergate have caused the nation and the presidency, a nation I so deeply love, and an institution I so greatly respect.

Though here we are talking about Trump and there is no doubt that he is not man enough to EVER admit any wrong doing.

Trump 'could pardon himself but won't'

"
Trump 'could pardon himself over Russia but won't', says Giuliani"

Giuliani has claimed that Trump thinks he can pardon himself. Coming from a lawyer, this is a little bemusing.

Firstly because Trump, as president, could only be impeached.

If he were impeached, he'd no longer be president. If he were tried in a court of law, he'd not be president, if he were found guilty, he's still not be president, and not being president means he can't pardon himself.

"

Giuliani has claimed that Trump thinks he can pardon himself. Coming from a lawyer, this is a little bemusing.

If he were impeached, he'd no longer be president. If he were tried in a court of law, he'd not be president, if he were found guilty, he's still not be president, and not being president means he can't pardon himself.
Trump never stated that he thinks that he can pardon himself, you stupid ass. One of his former lawyers made the statement in a letter sent to the witch hunter. You worthless leftist traitors will post anything to demean Trump. Suck it, fool. Trump ain't going anywhere for the next seven years.

His lawyer, representing him made the statement. Unless he fires Rudy, Rudy is legally speaking for him.
huh? Rudy is a human being who knows the law. and he said it. he wasn't representing anyone unless he says so.

"

This is just my theory, but I think this is being floated to calm the President down.

"

"

Trump never stated that he thinks that he can pardon himself, you stupid ass. One of his former lawyers made the statement in a letter sent to the witch hunter. You worthless leftist traitors will post anything to demean Trump. Suck it, fool. Trump ain't going anywhere for the next seven years.

Ouch, Trump tweeted this morning that he thinks he can.

"

"

His lawyer, representing him made the statement. Unless he fires Rudy, Rudy is legally speaking for him.
Maybe in a fukin courtroom. Not in front of a microphone.

Then why did he basically speak as if he's Trump's mouthpiece?

Though Bulldog has said it better and I don't need to repeat what he's said.
cause he's allowed to in the US? I don't know, why don't you ask him.

"

This is just my theory, but I think this is being floated to calm the President down.
huh?

Nixon accepted guilt:

...on September 8, 1974, [Ford] granted Nixon a "full, free, and absolute pardon", which ended any possibility of an indictment. Nixon then released a statement:

I was wrong in not acting more decisively and more forthrightly in dealing with Watergate, particularly when it reached the stage of judicial proceedings and grew from a political scandal into a national tragedy. No words can describe the depth of my regret and pain at the anguish my mistakes over Watergate have caused the nation and the presidency, a nation I so deeply love, and an institution I so greatly respect.

Though here we are talking about Trump and there is no doubt that he is not man enough to EVER admit any wrong doing.
what did he do?

That's a matter of opinion.

If accused of some crime for which I'm not guilty, I would not refuse a preemptive pardon. Why pay ton's of money to lawyers in court costs and risk being wrongly found guilty when the pardon settles the matter?

It's kind of like pleading the 5th is not an admission of guilt.

"

The founding fathers must be spinning in their graves right now. They took great pains to ensure the presidency didn't become a monarchy and tRump, with his loyal tRumpkins, is methodically destroying all of those protections.

All of you fools who support him in this are destroying our nation.

eff you, he's never going to be impeached, because he's done nothing wrong.

"

The founding fathers must be spinning in their graves right now. They took great pains to ensure the presidency didn't become a monarchy and tRump, with his loyal tRumpkins, is methodically destroying all of those protections.

All of you fools who support him in this are destroying our nation.
I'd say they are having drinks and slapping each other on the backs saying nice job.

"

"

Here ya go.

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1003616210922147841

As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong? In the meantime, the never ending Witch Hunt, led by 13 very Angry and Conflicted Democrats (& others) continues into the mid-terms!

7:35 AM - Jun 4, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Next time check facts before you make a fool of yourself.

That's a matter of opinion.

If accused of some crime for which I'm not guilty, I would not refuse a preemptive pardon.

Then you accept guilt. Innocent person has no use for a pardon and would refuse it.

"

"

Here ya go.

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong? In the meantime, the never ending Witch Hunt, led by 13 very Angry and Conflicted Democrats (& others) continues into the mid-terms!

7:35 AM - Jun 4, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Next time check facts before you make a fool of yourself.
then the OP should have used that. Do you understand how the board works? The OP sets the thread, if the OP is wrong, it's wrong. No where in the link provided did trump make such a statement. Just can't write something and not expect to be challenged.

Forum List

Back