President Trump announces new tariffs: 25% for steel, 10% for aluminum

Costs will go up by a trivial amount, moron. They don't multiply like rabbits. The material component of most manufactured items constitutes a small percentage of the cost. The bulk of costs is labor and capital investment.

Even if the cost of the completed product is double the price increase of steel, that's still only 1% for a washing machine, and it's probably less for most other products.

I don't support tariffs, but the hyperventilating over this one is pure politics.

Why don't you shut up boy. Electrolux has suspended their plan to set up a factory in the US because of the expected high cost of steel. You know more than they do? You are a bad joke.

No, I don't know anymore than they do. I'm just not a political correct establishment douchebag like them.

You just sound like Bernie Sanders. They are business people who do not want to put money into a losing proposition. Nothing politically correct about that.

I've already shown that the price increase woud be infitesimal, so the claim about losing money is horseshit.
Plenty of rich guys on news media programs are telling us how infinitesimal pennies on the six-pack of beer or $175 on a car or $50 on a refrigerator is infinitesimal and nothing to worry about. Of course, they are rich and what is affordable and not affordable is relevant to how much wealth you have.

The fact is that Trump didn't propose sanctions because of any well thought out strategy. It was like most everything he does, because he's out of control. A side facto is that Trump has always used Chinese steel in his buildings so this is just another case of his do as I say not as I do BS.

He gets pissed off and now that he's lost most of his human punching bags he does this. What's gonna happen the next time he has a hissy fit? Nuclear war?

I'm not saying this as hyperbole either. He's a walking talking time bomb of a moron. Tweeting cannot release the steam built up in his yellow head so he's started with world affairs. No Knowledge of what the consequences might be, just showmanship and bluster.

Why don't you shut up boy. Electrolux has suspended their plan to set up a factory in the US because of the expected high cost of steel. You know more than they do? You are a bad joke.

No, I don't know anymore than they do. I'm just not a political correct establishment douchebag like them.

You just sound like Bernie Sanders. They are business people who do not want to put money into a losing proposition. Nothing politically correct about that.

I've already shown that the price increase woud be infitesimal, so the claim about losing money is horseshit.
Plenty of rich guys on news media programs are telling us how infinitesimal pennies on the six-pack of beer or $175 on a car or $50 on a refrigerator is infinitesimal and nothing to worry about. Of course, they are rich and what is affordable and not affordable is relevant to how much wealth you have.

The fact is that Trump didn't propose sanctions because of any well thought out strategy. It was like most everything he does, because he's out of control. A side facto is that Trump has always used Chinese steel in his buildings so this is just another case of his do as I say not as I do BS.

He gets pissed off and now that he's lost most of his human punching bags he does this. What's gonna happen the next time he has a hissy fit? Nuclear war?

I'm not saying this as hyperbole either. He's a walking talking time bomb of a moron. Tweeting cannot release the steam built up in his yellow head so he's started with world affairs. No Knowledge of what the consequences might be, just showmanship and bluster.
Our well thought out policies since Reagan have worked out real well.

As someone who does purchasing in manufacturing environments, this is the dumbest thing Trump has done yet.

Raw aluminum or steel is only part of the cost of an item. The others are labor, machine set up, processing and transportation.

While foreign aluminum or steel machined parts are cheaper because of the labor costs, they're more expensive because of the transportation costs and time delays.

So what Trump has done is make raw material more expensive in this country. Steel and Aluminum makers in this country won't find a reason to be more competitive in their pricing, but manufacturers of machined parts will be more competitive if they make the machined parts or finished goods in Mexico or China.

A 0.5% increase in the cost of a finished good isn't sufficient justification for a any manufacturer to move their production overseas.

Costs will go up by a trivial amount, moron. They don't multiply like rabbits. The material component of most manufactured items constitutes a small percentage of the cost. The bulk of costs is labor and capital investment.

Even if the cost of the completed product is double the price increase of steel, that's still only 1% for a washing machine, and it's probably less for most other products.

I don't support tariffs, but the hyperventilating over this one is pure politics.

Of course, you had no objections to Obama's plan to triple the price of energy in this country. How much do you think that would affect the price of a refrigerator - especially the cost of owning one?

The above is proof that all you snowflake douchebags whining about this tariff are a bunch of flaming hypocrites.

Last edited:

It is clear from Trump's comments he thought he was punishing China with the steel tariffs, I do not think he is well informed enough to know that we get almost no steel from China.

Every time any politician or business leader suggests protective tariffs, the globalists trot out the argument that it will start a "trade war" and will "cost us jobs." Really? Then how come China, one of the most protectionist nations on Earth, has had growth that has nearly doubled ours for a long time? How come America did so well when we followed ardently protectionist policies for decades, start with Abraham Lincoln?

And as for a "trade war," we have been in a "trade war" for decades--the globalists just don't want us to defend ourselves very much. Yes, we have some tariffs, but not to the degree that many other nations have. And, by the way, look at the industries that we do somewhat protect with tariffs, such as sugar--they are doing well.

I just love how the isolationist always being up Lincoln when talking about tariffs. Because the world has not changed at all since the days of Lincoln. When Lincoln was president it took longer to get across the country than it does for a ship to go from China to the US.

You people need to quit living in the past, the world has passed you by.

Explain what has changed in the world that means that letting other countries take our jobs is not a problem and does not hurt our citizens.

Especially as we can see how it has hurt our citizens.
The world is getting smaller and menial jobs will go to the cheapest place. We need to take advantage of our workers education and Tech ability, once the GOP allows cheaper training like Germany and other smart countries

Germany's behavior, revealed in the WTO airbus ruling, shows that they don't believe that their workers are better, they think they need to subsidize their manufacturers to take American jobs.

Trump Right on Trade Predators

"
Richard Evans of British Aerospace explained: “Airbus is going to attack the Americans, including Boeing, until they bleed and scream.” And another executive said, “If Airbus has to give away planes, we will do it.”

When Europe’s taxpayers objected to the $26 billion in subsidies Airbus had gotten by 1990, German aerospace coordinator Erich Riedl was dismissive, “We don’t care about criticism from small-minded pencil-pushers.”

"

"smaller", "Menial", these are just meaningless buzzwords. Airplane and car manufacturing is not menial, nor low paying.

These nations desperately want these jobs. Why do you think that is?
Their workers are better, that's why they have more manufacturing jobs and we have 3 to 6 million techie manufacturing jobs going begging. The GOP makes us stupid in order to protect their precious greedy idiot mega-rich a-holes. Try staying on subject.

Of course, you had no objections to Obama's plan to triple the price of energy in this country. How much do you think that would affect the price of a refrigerator - especially the cost of owning one?

The above is proof that all you snowflake douchebags whining about this tariff are a bunch of flaming hypocrites.
Yeah sure... Another brainwashed GOP dingbat....

Brifingerjellyfaceboy 9643 is our village idiot and as such basically irrelevant.

As someone who does purchasing in manufacturing environments, this is the dumbest thing Trump has done yet.

Raw aluminum or steel is only part of the cost of an item. The others are labor, machine set up, processing and transportation.

While foreign aluminum or steel machined parts are cheaper because of the labor costs, they're more expensive because of the transportation costs and time delays.

So what Trump has done is make raw material more expensive in this country. Steel and Aluminum makers in this country won't find a reason to be more competitive in their pricing, but manufacturers of machined parts will be more competitive if they make the machined parts or finished goods in Mexico or China.

A 0.5% increase in the cost of a finished good isn't sufficient justification for a any manufacturer to move their production overseas.

Where did you get that number? Where you get all your info? Try not to fool around back there so much, remember, you still have to go potty sometime.

Where did you get that number? Where you get all your info? Try not to fool around back there so much, remember, you still have to go potty sometime.
I've done the calculation numerous times in this thread for all you dumbasses who believe Trump's tariff is the end of the world.

Brifingerjellyfaceboy 9643 is our village idiot and as such basically irrelevant.
You find facts to be painful, don't you?

It is clear from Trump's comments he thought he was punishing China with the steel tariffs, I do not think he is well informed enough to know that we get almost no steel from China.

When did he ever say the purpose of the tariff was to punish China? All you snowflake douchebags just assumed it.

I am just trying to figure out why American steel cannot compete with Canadian steel.

Are Canadians just that much better workers than Americans? Or have their steel companies just invested in more modernization than American steel companies?

I would venture a guess that labor costs in Canada are significantly lower than they are in the US, thanks mainly to the steelworkers union. Cheaper labor costs lead to lower prices to get the same profit and voila! I don't think Canadian workers are any better, and I highly doubt Canadian steel companies are more modernized. Although on 2nd thought that could be, if the steelworkers union has language in their contracts that says the steel companies can only do so much automation.

The same union represents steel workers in Canada and the United States.

United Steelworkers

Maybe they don't negotiate the same contracts since you don't have to provide group health insurance in Canada. Just a guess.

The Free Traders had their chance. They blew it.

We still have the highest standard of living in the world. Nothing was blown.

1. No we don't. We are number ten, by this count. Most of the ones ahead of US are in the EU trade bloc. Want to guess how many of them have a large trade surplus with US, at our expense?

2. AND that measurement is an average. It does not take into account the damage done to huge swaths of our nation over the last 50 years.

3. AND, if you look at the potential advances that should have been made by our middle class and working poor, over the last 50 years, if we had had decent policies, you see the real cost of our stupid policies.

Yes we do. Also the cost of living in the US is much lower in the US. Look at gas taxes in Europe. Plus the value added tax.

50 years ago Silicon Valley did not exist. Nor did Microsoft. The skills required in this economy is changing. You have no clue what you are talking about. It is if, or but. Are you using a crystal ball?

1. Standard of living measurements take cost of living into account. We are not number one anymore.

2. Our percentage of chip manufacturing is dropping due to other nations massively subsidizing their chip manufacturing. Our software is pirated on an industrial scale.

3. National policy has been focused on building these industries of the future (and not protecting them) while utterly ignoring vast segments of the economy and the people who fill those jobs. That has had horrible human costs to our society, and will continue to as long as we do that.

Who supplies the brains for high tech equipment? Mostly Americans. When you look at trade figures, they do not take that into account. Many employers are begging for people for high tech jobs. The problem we have is a mis-match in worker skills.

Manufacturing will continue to employ fewer workers because of high productivity and high tech equipment. That is not going to change.

I don't know about that I ordered a computer in 2011 from HP it was made and shipped from China and when it crashed 3 months later HP in U.S. said I'd have to ship back to China to fix.

Truth is we don't really know what effect this stuff will have on trade until it happens. We're already seeing the backlash from other countries who've sworn new tariffs on goods unrelated to steel and aluminum. That's really what a trade war is. Unpredictable except that tariffs are by their very nature inflationary.

Also, we don't know what the global impact might be when other nations look at this. Just like Trumps demeanor has alienated allies, this will be seen as just more of the same bullying bullshit from the US. At a time in history that says we need our closest allies more than ever with the threats from N Korea and Russia, this could be seen as punitive to nations like Canada and Mexico and ?

And the answer to why would the US do this to friendly nations will probably be because Trump is out of control with nobody and no thing to rein him in. The stock market which he has been taking credit for is feeling the heat and I'll bet Trump won't claim responsibility for that. Markets hate uncertainty. And, lastly the sudden and solitary nature of the announcement took everybody in the GOP leadership by surprise. So not a soul in govt and the military has a clue as to what he'll dream up and drop on all of them next.

Truth is we don't really know what effect this stuff will have on trade until it happens. We're already seeing the backlash from other countries who've sworn new tariffs on goods unrelated to steel and aluminum. That's really what a trade war is. Unpredictable except that tariffs are by their very nature inflationary.

Also, we don't know what the global impact might be when other nations look at this. Just like Trumps demeanor has alienated allies, this will be seen as just more of the same bullying bullshit from the US. At a time in history that says we need our closest allies more than ever with the threats from N Korea and Russia, this could be seen as punitive to nations like Canada and Mexico and ?

And the answer to why would the US do this to friendly nations will probably be because Trump is out of control with nobody and no thing to rein him in. The stock market which he has been taking credit for is feeling the heat and I'll bet Trump won't claim responsibility for that. Markets hate uncertainty. And, lastly the sudden and solitary nature of the announcement took everybody in the GOP leadership by surprise. So not a soul in govt and the military has a clue as to what he'll dream up and drop on all of them next.

Like I said yesterday probably won't happen especially when he sees most dems are for it.

You know, I was watching the evening news, and there are steel workers out there who are saying that a 25 percent tariff on foreign steel will actually cost jobs here in the USA.

Wow..................not only is Trump going after solar panels, but now he's trying to kill jobs in the metal industries.

You're such a dope.

Costs go up for everything for everyone. Even businesses. If everything a business buys costs more, prices will have to rise as well, dope. It's not just cans. Its everything.

You are horseshit. All you have shown is what a ignorant child you are. Electrolux was planning to invest $250 million dollars. Your talk is cheap. Go home boy.

You find facts to be painful, don't you?

Let me know when you give facts instead of pulling numbers out of your ass. The CEOs of Budweiser and Electrolux don't seem to agree with you.

Forum List

Back