(President) Trump wants Germany, Japan and others to pay full cost plus a premium for US troops

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
That should cause a lot of moans and groans. Not just from those he asking to foot the bill but all those political hacks in Congress who think we should be paying for all of it.

Called “Cost Plus 50,” the plan would cost five or six times more for countries like Germany, Japan and South Korea, Bloomberg news reported Friday.

Trump has been championing the idea for months, Bloomberg reported, citing about a dozen unnamed administration officials. Trump even tested the idea during recent negotiations over a cost sharing agreement with South Korea, which was on the brink of collapse before a deal was finally reached in February.

We want cost plus 50,” Trump demanded at one point during the talks, as quoted by the media organization.

More @ Report: Trump wants Germany, Japan and others to pay full cost plus a premium for US troops

That should cause a lot of moans and groans. Not just from those he asking to foot the bill but all those political hacks in Congress who think we should be paying for all of it.

Called “Cost Plus 50,” the plan would cost five or six times more for countries like Germany, Japan and South Korea, Bloomberg news reported Friday.

Trump has been championing the idea for months, Bloomberg reported, citing about a dozen unnamed administration officials. Trump even tested the idea during recent negotiations over a cost sharing agreement with South Korea, which was on the brink of collapse before a deal was finally reached in February.

We want cost plus 50,” Trump demanded at one point during the talks, as quoted by the media organization.

More @ Report: Trump wants Germany, Japan and others to pay full cost plus a premium for US troops

I have an even better idea: Lets station troops all around the world in countries where they benefit greatly from our presence, then PAY THEM plus 50 on top of that for the honor and privileged of footing the bill keeping their country safe! o_O

I'm just trying to see it like any good well-bred democrat would.

Trump is ultimately trying to get many of our allies to take more financial responsibility for their defense. Why should the U.S. taxpayer be obligated to take food off of their child's plate in order to defend Europeans and Japanese? They already benefit economically by the presence of thousands of U.S. troops that spend their dollars in the local economies. Trump isn't going to get 150% reimbursement, but it's a good starting point.

Dumb idea.

Why is it a "dumb" idea?

We have never been anywhere "to protect them." Our military presence in certain areas of the world is and always has been to protect US interests. The cost of basing US forces abroad is the best deal of all time relative to the global trade we have engaged in since the end of WWII and not fighting a WWIII. Host nations have always contributed to the cost. This kind of stupid idea would just be a way of doing what near-sighted isolationists have long fantasized about: A complete retreat from the world stage.

I see no reason we need to keep on "protecting" nations that are wealthy and fully capable of protecting themselves.

We have never been anywhere "to protect them."

The U.S. military has engaged in countless humanitarian operations throughout the world. You should exercise more discretion with your statements.

[Host nations have always contributed to the cost.

Yea? Have you researched this? I haven't. I don't know what they contribute nor do I know exactly what the cost to us is. I DO know that the influx of U.S. dollars into their local economies is GREAT for the communities hosting American bases.

Why do you believe that it is "dumb" for Trump to try and relieve U.S. citizens of some of the cost of basing U.S. troops in foreign nations? Would you be happier if Trump were advocating for Americans to pay MORE of the cost?

Take your soldiers and go home in your zoo, Donald Trump. To call you a "criminal idiot" would be a flattery. You was born stupid, you never learned anything in your life - and you forgot even this!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back