Press #1 For English?

...t they exercised every opportunity available. So of course they didn't immediately abandon their native tongue. I remember one of our neighbors when we were children. They spoke only a few words of English, but my sister taught the little girl, and she would take her knowledge to teach her parents. This was on top of going to English class that the local church held for the immigrants.....

Just like immigrants today.

No, just opposite of immigrants today. .....

You are wrong. All of that, and more, still happens today. I see it everyday myself, and mountains of data support the FACT.

FACT

...... They cherished the opportunity to come here and be part of America.....

Just like immigrants today. And like immigrants today, they did NOT abandon their sense of being Polish.

Outside of our community, they did abandon their language and culture.

Wrong. In fact, immigrants today are assimilating to English and American culture faster than those of yesteryear.

Then why no bilingual signs on doors in yesteryear? Why no options except English in yesteryear that we have today?

...t they exercised every opportunity available. So of course they didn't immediately abandon their native tongue. I remember one of our neighbors when we were children. They spoke only a few words of English, but my sister taught the little girl, and she would take her knowledge to teach her parents. This was on top of going to English class that the local church held for the immigrants.....

You are wrong. All of that, and more, still happens today. I see it everyday myself, and mountains of data support the FACT.

FACT
OPINION.

This is devolving quickly. Mexicans immigrants can, and should, but aren't in reality learning English .What other excuse is there for bilingualism?

...We have customers that are foreign that I deliver to. Sometimes we don't see them for a while, so when I go back a year or two later, the foreigners spoke no better English than they did the last time I seen them.

You don't know that.

I don't? You mean I don't talk to them????
...We have customers that are foreign that I deliver to. Sometimes we don't see them for a while, so when I go back a year or two later, the foreigners spoke no better English than they did the last time I seen them.

You don't know that.

You are unqualified to make the determination.

I'm unqualified to notice foreigners who's English didn't improve one iota? Tell me, what are those qualifications?

Just like immigrants today. And like immigrants today, they did NOT abandon their sense of being Polish.

In fact, immigrants today are assimilating to English and American culture faster than those of yesteryear.

You don't know that.

You don't know that.

I'm unqualified to notice foreigners who's English didn't improve one iota? ...

That's correct.

..... They didn't send their money back to their home country ....

Many of them did exactly that.

No, they didn't. Back then, there was little left over to send home. ...........

Yes they did. Western Union started in the 1850s, and other means of remittance were used. Just like today, immigrants worked very hard and lived in those crappy, crowded conditions to squeeze every penny for just such purposes. Stop substituting your imagination for history.

Wrong. Europeans didn't believe in credit. They believed in working with what they had, and not buy anything until they had the cash for it.

Hell, my grandparents were not even first generation, and they never took credit for anything in their lives. No house loan, no credit cards, no bank loans. That's how they believed at the time.

You don't know that.

You don't know that.

That's correct.
Wrong.

You don't know that.

You don't know that.

That's correct.

Wow, you really are desperate to try and support your points. HTF can anybody not notice if somebody's English didn't improve? A deaf person could almost tell.

You don't know that.

You don't know that.

That's correct.

Wow, you really are desperate to try and support your points. HTF can anybody not notice if somebody's English didn't improve? A deaf person could almost tell.

How many hours did you spend evaluating them? By what measures? What rubric did you use to compare the data you carefully collected previously with the next evaluation? What training in language acquisition do you have that informed your findings? What control group did you compare the findings with? Who reviewed your research and results?

They came here and left everything behind to find the American dream;............

Not everything. Not, often, family in great need back in the homeland; family that may have loaned them the money to make the passage here in the first place.

Apples and oranges. ...

Not at all. I proved your claim wrong, and you moved the goalposts - of course.
They came here and left everything behind to find the American dream;............

Not everything. Not, often, family in great need back in the homeland; family that may have loaned them the money to make the passage here in the first place.

Apples and oranges. ...

You proved what to who?

FACT
OPINION.

I have provided support for my claims many times. Where is yours?

Apples and oranges. ...

Apples and oranges. ...

You proved what to who? [sic]

"Whom"

Some people insist their fears and paranoia reflect reality rather than their own weakness. This does not change reality.

As more Latino kids speak only English, parents worry about chatting with grandma
Why the hell did we ever allow that? ... I say get rid of all the bilingual signs and phone messages....GONE. ...

"Allow"? Who the fuck is not going to "allow" private businesses to pander to whatever customer base they choose?

"customer base"? Who the fuck cares about people who are broke and don't belong here?
But didn't they take jobs away? There's got to be an income.

And you're attitudes are exactly like those of your American predecessors. Did they complain about Yiddish theater and newspapers? Did they say that the knife wielding Italian or the rowdy drunken Irishman or the swarthy Greek were ruining American culture?

You bet they complained! And they were as wrong as you are today. It's amazing how the behavior stays consistent given all the other changes.

C'est le guerre!

The Italians nor the Irish tried to turn our country into a bilingual nation. You didn't see signs written in Italian, you didn't have ballots printed in Italian or any other language. Today, thanks to these invaders, that has all changed.
Take a good look at the signage. Pay attention to Yeshevahs and delis and tailor shops. Pay attention to barber shops and grocery stores and butcher shops.

The Hasidim Jews have done a particularly bad job at assimilating to America.

Examples include a Jew saying he lives in Jew land not America.
or
Yiddish signs calling for gender segregation.

See videos below.

That's correct.

How many hours did you spend evaluating them? By what measures? What rubric did you use to compare the data you carefully collected previously with the next evaluation? What training in language acquisition do you have that informed your findings? What control group did you compare the findings with? Who reviewed your research and results?
I could ask YOU the same Question?.How do we resolve this? Perhaps, (me throwing this out here) : Immigrate legally and acclimate to whatever culture you move too?

...... They cherished the opportunity to come here and be part of America.....

Outside of our community, they did abandon their language and culture.

Wrong. In fact, immigrants today are assimilating to English and American culture faster than those of yesteryear.

Then why no bilingual signs on doors in yesteryear? Why no options except English in yesteryear that we have today?

In the Polish neighborhood there were many signs in Polish on shops and restaurants, just like in the Italian neighborhood or the Portuguese neighborhood or Chinatown, or Germantown, etc. There were newspapers and magazines and information on important matters to the community in many languages.

Just

Today

Forum List

Back