🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Preventing the spread of Fake News and Misinformation

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
We've all seen it on USMB and elsewhere, fake news and misinformation on just about every major topic of public interest, global warming, elections, covid-19, foreign policy, domestic policy, legislation, crime, etc..... When we see posts that are filled with false information that is contrary to, trusted news services, science, trusted leaders, and often just plain common sense, we feel obliged to prove the poster is wrong. Generally speaking this not the best way to stop the spread of misinformation. It actually increases it. It is exactly what the poster wants, an invitation to provide more misinformation in support of his augment. When we play this game with the poster we become part of the problem, not the solution.

Fake news is bad for democracy — and in a pandemic, it may be a matter of life or death.

iu

We've all seen it on USMB and elsewhere, fake news and misinformation on just about every major topic of public interest, global warming, elections, covid-19, foreign policy, domestic policy, legislation, crime, etc..... When we see posts that are filled with false information that is contrary to, trusted news services, science, trusted leaders, and often just plain common sense, we feel obliged to prove the poster is wrong. Generally speaking this not the best way to stop the spread of misinformation. It actually increases it. It is exactly what the poster wants, an invitation to provide more misinformation in support of his augment. When we play this game with the poster we become part of the problem, not the solution.

Fake news is bad for democracy — and in a pandemic, it may be a matter of life or death.
It has been a matter of life and death, has been and is ongoing. People are dying because they think the Covid vaccine is somehow harmful. But, the rest of the world is not responsible for fools acting out their foolishness.

Care to provide a list of your trusted news sources?

contrary to, trusted news services, science, trusted leaders,
These sources are not the same for everyone. What you believe to be true, may not be what someone else to believes to be true. Absent concrete proof, who is to say what source should be trusted. The trouble is no one is providing proof anymore, from the WHO, CDC, governments and media--NOTHING can be trusted. Everything is fake news, including your assertion.

I hear the best place for all leftists that is safe from opposing views is either China, North Korea or a really dark closet with the door firmly shut.
Rumors (aka fake news) were floating around that under your bed was safe but "fact checkers" found that to be 4 Pinocchios since you could still hear them on CNN from the TV in the other room.

Your options are kinda bleak....you have my sympathies

According to the CDCs own guidelines the pandemic ended a year ago. Your post is fake news.

....we feel obliged to prove the poster is wrong.

"We feel".....Says evrything I needed to know about this paragraph of vapidly pious, self-congratulatory crap.

I tell everyone to get the vaccine. I was demanding my wife get it and she has. I am not some anti-vaxxer, anti-authority, i resent any comparison to such stimatized words.

That said, my own country has created distrust and even despair in some of us. Since many in your security apparatus so fondly view our appratus here, you may experience the same outcome. Your best will leave for Japan, Hong Kong, Germany, wherever. You sell your soul to fund the least impressive among you. Bet on it. In fact, I guarantee this outcome if you allow it to happen.

The entire Covid fiasco began with our own Western leaders, in health and otherwise. The prior four years of 24/7 attacks on Trump made if FAR worse in terms of trust. Politicizing everything so that NOTHING is sacred. Including vaccines and the fools who have been so wrong about so much.

Yes, many people will die from disinformation. It won't be because they didn't want to believe, it will be because so many convinced them that B.S is always in the air and an ulterior motive can never be fully ruled out.

Last edited:
It has been a matter of life and death, has been and is ongoing. People are dying because they think the Covid vaccine is somehow harmful. But, the rest of the world is not responsible for fools acting out their foolishness.
Misinformation is a major obstacle in winning the battle in both the US and many other countries. However, there are other reasons which are as silly as being afraid of the needle. 5% of Americans say they will not seek any medical attention except in life or death emergency. 26% of Americans suffer from a mental disorder and 5% are seriously mentally ill. 45% of Americans adults do not get vaccinated against the flu or other diseases. When you put all of the above together and add in the misinformation, there's going to have to be very strong incentives to get vaccinated which may from come from employers, retail merchants, restaurants, and sports and entertainment venues. In other words, get vaccinated or stay home because there is no place for you in society. With the Mu deviant on the horizon, it may come to this.

Last edited:
I don't see why anyone would consider you an authority or consent to a vax because you say so. You do you and let them do them. People need to quit trying run other people's lives.

I know my wifes health issues and her doctor advised her to get it. I am in agreement for once, as I generally dislike medication of any kind.

My advice to others is basically. "you should get the vaccine if you want to decrease risk of serious damage if you catch it or, simply for peace of mind".

What I find peculiar is allowing ALL who are vaccinnated to conjur together. I might argue that being unvaccinated but cautious in how you interact with others is better than putting yourself in a tight crowd simply due to you being vaccinated.

Misinformation is the major obstacle in winning the battle in both the US and many other countries. However, there are other reasons which are as silly as being afraid of the needle. 5% of Americans say they will not seek any medical attention except in life or death emergency. 26% of Americans suffer from a mental disorder and 5% are seriously mentally ill. 45% of Americans adults do not get vaccinated against the flu or other diseases. When you put all of the above together and add in the misinformation, there's going to have to be a very strong incentives to get vaccinated which may from come from employers, retail merchants, restaurants, and sports and entertainment venues. In other words, get vaccinated or stay home because there is no place for you in society. With the Mu deviant on the horizon, it may come to this.
Linkie? Let us evaluate your misinformation site.

Forum List

Back