Prison: A Waste of Human Life

No, I don't know Jarvis I know someone who was released after being in prison for 25 years for a crime he did not commit. He was cleared by DNA in Georgia. That said, I also know of a person who was in a gang and did some really bad things in his life and did not get caught ever...he changed. He woke up one day and decided that he didn't want to live that life anymore. Now he is helping me take baby steps to recover from an abusive relationship so that I can actually function in a normal relationship. That hardened gang member criminal is no longer a gang member or criminal, but a hardworking productive member of society and someone that has filled my life with hope and joy and taught me that you can leave an abuser and start over and find someone who is not an abuser. So personally I understand how much a person can change.

There is no statute of limitations on murder. If he was ever involved in one, his 'changed' status would not keep him out of prison.

If you are referring to the changed person I am talking about..he never took anyone's life..being a former gang member does not mean you murdered.

conspired to murder... helped out... drove a getaway car.....?

I don't support the death penalty. Jarvis is innocent of what he was accused of, (sharpening the shiv that killed Burchfield).

Jarvis death will help no one. His life and his writing inspire and help many.

I'm sorry you're all so angry about this. You don't know him. You won't educate yourself. I'm sorry for that too. It's sad.

I dont know him...nor care about him or his fate. His death will help me have faith in a the legal justice system works. That criminals are punished for the crimes they comment.

I am against the death penalty. LWOP would be a just penalty for his actions, not execution.

If Jarvis had rerceived decent legal representation, he would have never gotten the death penalty.

I am for the death penalty. All of the conspirators should be in death row with him. Too bad the others plead a deal and got off the hook

NOooo... LMAO.... if jarvis was not a violent murdering conspirator...he would not have gotten the death sentence.
Explain how the man who actually stabbed Burchfield and the man who ordered the hit got LWOP.

Does that seem like just sentencing?

I don't think so.

Jarvis should not have gotten the death penalty.

Did the ones who got life.... plead guilty for a lesser sentence? I think the other two got off easy.... you should be banging the drum that they get life sentences too.

I am all for that :thup:

Jarvis has written:

"Those who want to make sense of my life will see, through my writing, a human being who made mistakes. Maybe my writing will at least help them see me as someone who felt, loved, and cared, someone who wanted to know himself for who he was."

Cool... self centered manipulator the very end ?

That little quote is all about poor me...look at poor oppressed me.. nothing was my fault...it was my situation in life.. ..the mistakes i made.... I felt cared and loved people ..and now they are going to kill me.

Hitler felt cared and loved many people
Charles manson felt cared and loved many people

You are wrong. Jarvis Masters is no Hitler or Manson. He is not manipulative.

You are closed minded.

For the sake of those who would read something, I offer this:

http://www.freejarvis.org/case/docs/Jarvis_Innocence_Pamphlet.pdf

No... he just made a weapon that was involved in a guards murder..... a violent gang member.....

Not manipulative?.... sky see his manipulations all over you and this post.

There is no statute of limitations on murder. If he was ever involved in one, his 'changed' status would not keep him out of prison.

If you are referring to the changed person I am talking about..he never took anyone's life..being a former gang member does not mean you murdered.

conspired to murder... helped out... drove a getaway car.....?

nope. Also, he wasn't in the US during his time in a gang. There wasn't much choice but to be part of it...mostly what they did was steal cell phones and charge a war tax to businesses in the area.

Prison is extremely wasteful alot of the time. I'm sorry for your experience. I don't blame you for being angry. You don't have to take it out on me, though. I just see things differently.

I'm not taking it out on you. I'm telling you why I disagree. I don't give a shit who you are, if you are responsible for the death of another human being without just cause then you deserve to rot in hell, in my opinion. There is no 'waste' in that, to me. It is the justice that follows your own actions. We all live with the consequences of our actions. No one deserves to be treated differently. Prison is a consequence of an action. Don't like the consequence, don't do the action that leads there. Not rocket science.

Name calling is taking your anger out on me. It's unproductive.

We disagree. I don't support the death penalty and you do. Executing Jarvis Masters would be a complete human waste and waste of tax payer dollars. It costs more to execute a prisoner than it does to keep him in prison for the rest of his life.

I call stupid as stupid. It's not 'name calling', it's voicing an opinion.

I support a limited use of the DP, yea. I am all for it for those who kill police officers, because the police voluntarily put their lives at risk for us, seems the least we can do to provide the harshest sentence to those who kill our protectors. Also, for those who kill children. Children cannot defend themselves against adults, so that is an appropriate sentence for them.

What I don't support is executing for politics - which certainly does happen. I don't support executing those with a proven permanent mental incapacity - such as those who are educationally subnormal. But I do support it for those who excuse their crime by saying it was drugs or alcohol driven.

So, generally, I am supportive of the DP but certainly not the way it is often applied in the US.

Without prison Jarvis would have hurt alot of people.

Without prison Jarvis would have never become a "writer".

Jarvis is the first one to acknowledge that. Jarvis was lost when he was first incarcerated. Without the Death Penalty sentencing, he would not have sought a spiritual answer. His karma led him to the dharma.

Buddhist practice and writing have changed Jarvis Masters profoundly.

That's great. Perhaps in his next go-around, he can avoid robbing and killing other humans.

Masters was accused of sharpening the piece of metal that was used in the murder. Masters was on the fourth tier at the time of the murder. Of the three men, only Jarvis was given the death penalty. The other two were given sentences of life without parole. Jarvis Masters has been on death row since 1990.

The only thing I see wrong with this is the actual person that did the stabbing didn't get death row but this man did..for sharpening the knife. I agree that sharpening the knife is actually participating in the murder whether Sky you want to accept that or not that is what the law says...he participated he is subject to the death penalty and that is what he received, though it should be converted to life because the actual murderer did not receive at the very least death himself.

What that leaves out is why he got the death penalty. My guess is that Jarvis went to trial on the charges, and the other tow plead guilty to avoid the death penalty. That makes it his fault that he is on death row twice.

Not one of you is the slightest bit interested in learning about who this man is. Blood lust. It's creepy.

Who he is remains irrelevant. He is an accessory to a homicide, and committed violent crimes. His penalties for those actions have nothing to do with what he has become while incarcerated.

What you propose is that the people be released from prison because you like them, regardless of their prior history. That's imbecilic. This is exactly why I call you a useful idiot. Jarvis's writings don't atone for the fact that he robbed and helped to deprive a man of his life. His victim is still dead. The other offenders should have been sentenced more harshly, not vice versa. At a minimum, this man should receive LWOP.

Quantum, they shouldn't have made deals with the actual murderer period..they should have made deals with the other two.

The person who plans the execution is just as guilty as the person who carries it out, within the criminal justice system (and this is as it should be). As a prior violent offender, Jarvis had more to lose from participating in this act than his peers did. He still chose to be involved. He knew what he was risking, and did it anyway.

Now that he's on death row, he's found spirituality (prison conversions are common), and regrets his actions. Too fucking bad. He deprived another human being of the opportunity to live.

I notice that there is no mention of Jarvis's victim on this thread, by name.

His name was Howell Burchfeld. He was 37 years old, a sergeant with the California Department of Corrections. He a husband and the father of five children.

How many lives did Jarvis destroy by participating in this act?

There's an online memorial to Sgt. Burchfeld. Here's a post from his son:

Well dad its another year without you by my side. Not a day goes by that I dont think about you. I love you and miss you so much.More than words can say. I CANT WAIT to see you.

lil burch
folsom state prison
June 9, 2011

Here's another one from his daughter:

On Tuesday it will be 25 years since your death. I turn 42 on Monday. I still have wonderful memories of my 17th birthday party. That was the last time I saw you.
You worked hard for your family, you sacrificed often for our well being. Walking through prison gates every day to support your family says it all. You always said, never be a victim. Bad things happen to good people and how we deal with tragedy defines us. Well Dad, I am not a victim. I don't mourn you...I celebrate you. You were funny, complicated and worth loving. You are missed very much.

Wendy Shook
Daughter
June 4, 2010

Here's one from a co-worker:

A special ceremony was held last year at SQ on the annniversary of your death, arranged by the staff at SQ and myself. We were close like brothers and your loss has left a void within me.

Andy Cota
RJD
June 23, 2009

http://www.odmp.org/officer/2496-sergeant-howell-burchfield

It's funny how none of Sky's posts seem to consider the ongoing harm caused to the family and friends of Sgt. Burchfeld by his senseless murder by a group of callous, unthinking, violent gang members. His children grew up without him. His wife's life was ripped apart. His friends are left with a void in their lives, as well. Killing one person causes untold harm in the lives of dozens of people.

Last edited:
Quantum, they shouldn't have made deals with the actual murderer period..they should have made deals with the other two.

The person who plans the execution is just as guilty as the person who carries it out, within the criminal justice system (and this is as it should be). As a prior violent offender, Jarvis had more to lose from participating in this act than his peers did. He still chose to be involved. He knew what he was risking, and did it anyway.

Now that he's on death row, he's found spirituality (prison conversions are common), and regrets his actions. Too fucking bad. He deprived another human being of the opportunity to live.

I notice that there is no mention of Jarvis's victim on this thread, by name.

His name was Howell Burchfeld. He was 37 years old, a sergeant with the California Department of Corrections. He was the father of five children.

How many lives did Jarvis destroy by participating in this act?

Here's a link to the memorial for him. Note the memorial post by his son:

Well dad its another year without you by my side. Not a day goes by that I dont think about you. I love you and miss you so much.More than words can say. I CANT WAIT to see you.

lil burch
folsom state prison
June 9, 2011

Here's another one from his daughter:

On Tuesday it will be 25 years since your death. I turn 42 on Monday. I still have wonderful memories of my 17th birthday party. That was the last time I saw you.
You worked hard for your family, you sacrificed often for our well being. Walking through prison gates every day to support your family says it all. You always said, never be a victim. Bad things happen to good people and how we deal with tragedy defines us. Well Dad, I am not a victim. I don't mourn you...I celebrate you. You were funny, complicated and worth loving. You are missed very much.

Wendy Shook
Daughter
June 4, 2010

Here's one from a co-worker:

A special ceremony was held last year at SQ on the annniversary of your death, arranged by the staff at SQ and myself. We were close like brothers and your loss has left a void within me.

Andy Cota
RJD
June 23, 2009

Sergeant Howell Burchfield, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, California

It's funny how none of Sky's posts seem to consider the ongoing, neverending harm caused to the family of Sgt. Burchfeld by his senseless murder by a group of callous, unthinking, violent gang members.

When the shills seek to humanize the inhuman, they sacrifice the victims to achieve it.

When the shills seek to humanize the inhuman, they sacrifice the victims to achieve it.

Sky's posts on this thread show exactly how shallow and inhumane her beliefs/ethics really are. She has absolute mercy for a killer, but zero mercy or empathy for his victims.

God willing, she will never know what it's like. Those of us who do, we have zero sympathy for those who murder others.

God willing, she will never know what it's like. Those of us who do, we have zero sympathy for those who murder others.

I have empathy for murderers. Eight of my clients committed homicide in a 5 year period; many others committed serious violent crimes like aggravated assault and armed robbery. I understood their life circumstances, and why they acted as they did. I knew them, I knew their families, I knew their friends, and sometimes, their children. However, these individuals were still fully culpable for their actions, and the safety of innocent people in the community trumps their right to be free, no matter how much they may regret their actions when incarcerated.

Here's the thing...I've worked with a number of individuals who were put into non-secure settings because the caseworker was feeling merciful that day, and that act of mercy allowed them to victimize people in the community in tragic ways. In one case I'm aware of, a juvenile court judge in our city ordered a young offender (17 years old) to be committed to a secure detention facility. The caseworker had a momentary impulse, overruled the judge, and placed the boy in a non-secure group home. The boy walked away from the group home within 3 hours. The next time my unit encountered him, he'd killed 2 people and seriously injured several others while robbing a little taqueria. How many people would still be alive if we were less squeamish about incarcerating violent offenders? Thousands, probably.

We will never know how many lives have been saved over the years because Jarvis Masters has been in prison. If he was willing to participate in a murder in the prison setting, he would likely have killed in the community.

My guess is that there is at least one person in California who is alive today purely because Jarvis Masters was sentenced to prison at age 19 for aggravated robbery. In my experience with violent offenders, people rarely use guns in the commission of a crime (like robbery) without being willing to use them. Once an offender starts carrying a gun regularly, and uses that weapon to commit a violent crime, he is more, not less, likely to commit future violent offenses. It's a line that people cross that leads to eventual tragedy.

Jarvis was willing to kill from the moment he started carrying a gun.

Last edited:
No, I don't know Jarvis I know someone who was released after being in prison for 25 years for a crime he did not commit. He was cleared by DNA in Georgia. That said, I also know of a person who was in a gang and did some really bad things in his life and did not get caught ever...he changed. He woke up one day and decided that he didn't want to live that life anymore. Now he is helping me take baby steps to recover from an abusive relationship so that I can actually function in a normal relationship. That hardened gang member criminal is no longer a gang member or criminal, but a hardworking productive member of society and someone that has filled my life with hope and joy and taught me that you can leave an abuser and start over and find someone who is not an abuser. So personally I understand how much a person can change.

Not one of you is the slightest bit interested in learning about who this man is. Blood lust. It's creepy.
I didn't have the sightest bit of interest in learning who Tookie Williams was. either....Scumbags are scumbags, no matter how hard you try to pretty up the package.

Nope, i'd rather learn about the victim and his family.......Did you?

Last edited:

Sky's posts on this thread show exactly how shallow and inhumane her beliefs/ethics really are. She has absolute mercy for a killer, but zero mercy or empathy for his victims.

Hopefully, God willing, another prisoner takes a shank to that piece o' shit. Let the piece of human garbage know what it's like to die, the same way that prison guard died.

I'm not taking it out on you. I'm telling you why I disagree. I don't give a shit who you are, if you are responsible for the death of another human being without just cause then you deserve to rot in hell, in my opinion. There is no 'waste' in that, to me. It is the justice that follows your own actions. We all live with the consequences of our actions. No one deserves to be treated differently. Prison is a consequence of an action. Don't like the consequence, don't do the action that leads there. Not rocket science.

Name calling is taking your anger out on me. It's unproductive.

We disagree. I don't support the death penalty and you do. Executing Jarvis Masters would be a complete human waste and waste of tax payer dollars. It costs more to execute a prisoner than it does to keep him in prison for the rest of his life.

I call stupid as stupid. It's not 'name calling', it's voicing an opinion.

I support a limited use of the DP, yea. I am all for it for those who kill police officers, because the police voluntarily put their lives at risk for us, seems the least we can do to provide the harshest sentence to those who kill our protectors. Also, for those who kill children. Children cannot defend themselves against adults, so that is an appropriate sentence for them.

What I don't support is executing for politics - which certainly does happen. I don't support executing those with a proven permanent mental incapacity - such as those who are educationally subnormal. But I do support it for those who excuse their crime by saying it was drugs or alcohol driven.

So, generally, I am supportive of the DP but certainly not the way it is often applied in the US.

Calling someone an "idiot" is name calling ad hominem. I can't believe you're a Catholic and support the DP.

Cool... self centered manipulator the very end ?

That little quote is all about poor me...look at poor oppressed me.. nothing was my fault...it was my situation in life.. ..the mistakes i made.... I felt cared and loved people ..and now they are going to kill me.

Hitler felt cared and loved many people
Charles manson felt cared and loved many people

You are wrong. Jarvis Masters is no Hitler or Manson. He is not manipulative.

You are closed minded.

For the sake of those who would read something, I offer this:

http://www.freejarvis.org/case/docs/Jarvis_Innocence_Pamphlet.pdf

No... he just made a weapon that was involved in a guards murder..... a violent gang member.....

Not manipulative?.... sky see his manipulations all over you and this post.

He didn't make the weapon. He was willing to make the weapon, but he did not.

Forum List

Back