Prison: A Waste of Human Life

I am for the death penalty. All of the conspirators should be in death row with him. Too bad the others plead a deal and got off the hook

NOooo... LMAO.... if jarvis was not a violent murdering conspirator...he would not have gotten the death sentence.
Explain how the man who actually stabbed Burchfield and the man who ordered the hit got LWOP.

Does that seem like just sentencing?

I don't think so.

Jarvis should not have gotten the death penalty.

Did the ones who got life.... plead guilty for a lesser sentence? I think the other two got off easy.... you should be banging the drum that they get life sentences too.

I am all for that :thup:

I have no problem with Jarvis remaining in prison his whole life. I don't think he should be executed.

I don't support the death penalty. Jarvis is innocent of what he was accused of, (sharpening the shiv that killed Burchfield).

Jarvis death will help no one. His life and his writing inspire and help many.

I'm sorry you're all so angry about this. You don't know him. You won't educate yourself. I'm sorry for that too. It's sad.

I dont know him...nor care about him or his fate. His death will help me have faith in a the legal justice system works. That criminals are punished for the crimes they comment.

I get that. You don't care. I do. No capital punishment. LWOP is severe enough.

My eleventh grade Contemporary Composition students read selections from Finding Freedom in the spring and now again in the fall. I want to thank you again for helping my students find a reason to live and dedicate themselves to constructive living."

DB
Los Angeles, California

"Our University class is reading your book Finding Freedom. We wanted to tell you how inspiring your book is and encourage you to continue writing. You have brought new meaning to Shantideva's statement:

Whatever joy there is in this world
All comes from desiring others to be happy
And whatever suffering there is in this world
All comes from desiring myself to be happy."
VM
Hamilton, NY
"I was so touched by the way Jarvis's story touched my students that I am attaching a few of the representative essays in the hopes that other educators might see how powerful his work is in reaching out to students with no real experience of people in his situation."

CC
Tucson, AZ

"I am an English professor living and working in the Northeast, and I am teaching a class this semester whereby incarcerated and "outside" students take a class together as peers, conducted in a correctional facility. I knew that I wanted to start the course by reading your book Finding Freedom together, and I asked that their first "paper" be a letter to you… Please know how warmly we all wish you well, and how absolutely heartened and moved and educated and resonated-with everyone was by your vivid, illuminating book."

SD
Hadley, MA

I just discovered the web page for Jarvis and am relieved and grateful for his advocates. I am a teacher in Chicago who is using "Finding Freedom" in my English classes and have seen the lives of my students transformed because of his powerful message. I was looking for a way to contribute money to Jarvis's appeal campaign and have found it. Thank you.

Excerpts from 11th graders’ letters to Jarvis Masters after reading FINDING FREEDOM
From Bravo High School, Los Angeles, Ca. 2005
I want you to know that your book really helped me to appreciate life and not take it for granted. I’m not saying I know exactly what you went through, and I might not ever, but the way you describe your stories makes me not want to ever go through that.
--D.B.Thank you for teaching me important morals and helping me understand the value of life.
--S.P.

Your faith and your actions serve to inspire others. Every member of my class was deeply touched by your work. Your honesty has helped open my eyes and given me a new hope in the faith of the human spirit. Your bravery under such daunting conditions is awe-inspiring. After reading your stories I have realized that one can never give up and that life is definitely worth living. Your work and your honesty mean a great deal to me. . I believe that you are an example of a person who has undergone adverse conditions and still remains hopeful that truth and innocence will prevail. It is your thoughts that have given me a newfound hope in humanity.
--A.R.

Your book really pushed me to care about other people more than to always care about only myself.
--Z.S.

Finding Freedom should be on every 11th grade class priority reading list. I admire your motivation and dedication. Those essential qualities are what make you the strong and faithful individual that many seek to become.
– J.V.

Thank you for your inspiration. Because of you I learned that life has its ups and downs and no matter what an individual should have strength, hope in himself and others as well.
--C.P.

You have no idea what your stories mean to us. Your passages really touched my heart and my soul. I could keep on reading them for a long time. I’m not that type of person that enjoys reading, but I really enjoyed reading your work. Have faith in the Man up stairs because he knows right from wrong.
--V.R.

You have become such a positive person in San Quentin and around the world. You have made such an impact in my life by knowing what you’ve been through and still finding a way to give life to others and giving all of us hope in succeeding in life. I thank you.
--E.P.

Your book encouraged me to stay away from violence so I won’t end up in prison. Like yourself, I grew up with no father. I’ve sometimes thought no one loved nor cared about me, and it was hard to move on. You sound as if you take your experiences well. So I would like to thank you for the encouragement you spread not only to me and people across the States, but in my class. Hopefully, your words planted a seed in everyone, because it definitely did for me.
--M.B.

The story I found most affective was “A Reason To Live.” I loved the fact that you helped keep Alex from committing suicide. Through your technique, I found that life is important and very valuable. I hope one day you will be released into the world. Again.
--V.P.

This book has been such an inspiration because it taught me about myself. I should not take life for granted and be the best person I can be. Stay healthy and strong because good things happen to good people.
--J.M.

Thank you for showing me what matters most, thank you for giving me so much reason to love my life and the ones around me. You are truly a man with enough will, heart, and passion to touch millions. I hope you find all the things in your life that matter most.
--J.C.

I fear the thought of ending up in prison and I savor the security I have. How can you deal with such intense drama? The qualities which you possess are unparalleled.
--B.J.

I know it should not matter to me if someone I do not know at all is killed or not but my dad is in prison too, and I would not want no one to kill him in there. Thank you.
--D.M.

I got diagnosed diabetic at a very young age. Sometimes I see life in a very dark way. For me, it hasn’t been easy and sometimes I wish I was dead. From reading your stories I have learned to see life in a more positive way. Life is hard but we have to make the best out of it and bringing ourselves down is not going to take us anywhere. What advice would you give me about the way I feel about life? I would really appreciate if you took some time and gave me some advice about how to deal with life and not see it so negative.
--M.S.

I have learned to treat people equally and with more respect. You continue to inspire as well as remind others of the importance of respect for one another.
--A.T.

I want you to know that your book is read by many people and changes people’s ideas.
--D.R.
DAMN !!This is what is wrong in our schools!!

I agree... this should never make it to a school class as reading. ...ever

You don't know what is in the book. This book has changed people's lives for the better.

Quantum, they shouldn't have made deals with the actual murderer period..they should have made deals with the other two.

The person who plans the execution is just as guilty as the person who carries it out, within the criminal justice system (and this is as it should be). As a prior violent offender, Jarvis had more to lose from participating in this act than his peers did. He still chose to be involved. He knew what he was risking, and did it anyway.

Now that he's on death row, he's found spirituality (prison conversions are common), and regrets his actions. Too fucking bad. He deprived another human being of the opportunity to live.

I notice that there is no mention of Jarvis's victim on this thread, by name.

His name was Howell Burchfeld. He was 37 years old, a sergeant with the California Department of Corrections. He a husband and the father of five children.

How many lives did Jarvis destroy by participating in this act?

There's an online memorial to Sgt. Burchfeld. Here's a post from his son:

Well dad its another year without you by my side. Not a day goes by that I dont think about you. I love you and miss you so much.More than words can say. I CANT WAIT to see you.

lil burch
folsom state prison
June 9, 2011

Here's another one from his daughter:

On Tuesday it will be 25 years since your death. I turn 42 on Monday. I still have wonderful memories of my 17th birthday party. That was the last time I saw you.
You worked hard for your family, you sacrificed often for our well being. Walking through prison gates every day to support your family says it all. You always said, never be a victim. Bad things happen to good people and how we deal with tragedy defines us. Well Dad, I am not a victim. I don't mourn you...I celebrate you. You were funny, complicated and worth loving. You are missed very much.

Wendy Shook
Daughter
June 4, 2010

Here's one from a co-worker:

A special ceremony was held last year at SQ on the annniversary of your death, arranged by the staff at SQ and myself. We were close like brothers and your loss has left a void within me.

Andy Cota
RJD
June 23, 2009

Sergeant Howell Burchfield, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, California

It's funny how none of Sky's posts seem to consider the ongoing harm caused to the family and friends of Sgt. Burchfeld by his senseless murder by a group of callous, unthinking, violent gang members. His children grew up without him. His wife's life was ripped apart. His friends are left with a void in their lives, as well. Killing one person causes untold harm in the lives of dozens of people.
Sargeant Burchfield wasn't a Buddhist.

Notice how Sky has not once mentioned the victim by name, or what his family must still be going through.......It's all about what a wonderful guy the killer is....Disturbing to say the least.

Quantum, they shouldn't have made deals with the actual murderer period..they should have made deals with the other two.

The person who plans the execution is just as guilty as the person who carries it out, within the criminal justice system (and this is as it should be). As a prior violent offender, Jarvis had more to lose from participating in this act than his peers did. He still chose to be involved. He knew what he was risking, and did it anyway.

Now that he's on death row, he's found spirituality (prison conversions are common), and regrets his actions. Too fucking bad. He deprived another human being of the opportunity to live.

His name was Howell Burchfeld. He was 37 years old, a sergeant with the California Department of Corrections. He a husband and the father of five children.

A special ceremony was held last year at SQ on the annniversary of your death, arranged by the staff at SQ and myself. We were close like brothers and your loss has left a void within me.

Andy Cota
RJD
June 23, 2009

Sergeant Howell Burchfield, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, California

It's funny how none of Sky's posts seem to consider the ongoing harm caused to the family and friends of Sgt. Burchfeld by his senseless murder by a group of callous, unthinking, violent gang members. His children grew up without him. His wife's life was ripped apart. His friends are left with a void in their lives, as well. Killing one person causes untold harm in the lives of dozens of people.

Notice how Sky has not once mentioned the victim by name, or what his family must still be going through.......It's all about what a wonderful guy the killer is....Disturbing to say the least.

Jarvis Masters did not kill Sgt Burchfield. He did not even sharpen the shiv, which is what he was accused of.

He does not deserve to die.

You are wrong. Jarvis Masters is no Hitler or Manson. He is not manipulative.

You are closed minded.

For the sake of those who would read something, I offer this:

http://www.freejarvis.org/case/docs/Jarvis_Innocence_Pamphlet.pdf

No... he just made a weapon that was involved in a guards murder..... a violent gang member.....

Not manipulative?.... sky see his manipulations all over you and this post.

He didn't make the weapon. He was willing to make the weapon, but he did not.
What a great guy, he ONLY sharpened it!:clap2:

Cool... self centered manipulator the very end ?

That little quote is all about poor me...look at poor oppressed me.. nothing was my fault...it was my situation in life.. ..the mistakes i made.... I felt cared and loved people ..and now they are going to kill me.

Hitler felt cared and loved many people
Charles manson felt cared and loved many people

You are wrong. Jarvis Masters is no Hitler or Manson. He is not manipulative.
You are closed minded.

For the sake of those who would read something, I offer this:

OMG. This just gets better and better! Not manipulative............:lmao:
He has clearly manipulated YOU and many others! :cuckoo:

He has manipulated me or anyone else. He has helped many people change for the better.

He has saved lives.

Jarvis Masters did not kill Sgt Burchfield. He did not even sharpen the shiv, which is what he was accused of.

YOU, said he sharpened it.

He deserves to suffer the same as that Sargeant.....He deseves to be shanked, just the same way.....God willing, it will happen!

YOU, said he sharpened it.

He deserves to suffer the same as that Sargeant.....He deseves to be shanked, just the same way.....God willing, it will happen!

I said he was willing to do it. He was mean enough to do it, but he didn't do it. He didn't have the skills to sharpen the blade in the time they needed.

Read this and get back to me.

We are a diverse group of women and men of different ages, races, backgrounds and professions. We are lawyers and private investigators, teachers and school counselors, web developers, writers, editors, journalists, yoga instructors, musicians, and Buddhist priests and nuns. We are connected to many like-minded people and groups across America and the world. What we have in common is our deep affection for Jarvis and a strong need to obtain justice for him and others in similar situations. Many of us practice Buddhism of various traditions. Some of us are Christians, some are Jews, but all of us are united in the belief that capital punishment must be abolished.

Last edited:

He could have stopped it. He did not. He picked his side. He can live with whatever consequences come his way.

The system works on deals. If there were no deals the system would collapse because there is no way to bring everyone accused of a crime to trial. That is the dirty little secret of the criminal justice system.

He could have stopped it. He did not. He picked his side. He can live with whatever consequences come his way.

How do you know he could have stopped it?

I don't support the death penalty. Jarvis is innocent of what he was accused of, (sharpening the shiv that killed Burchfield).

Jarvis death will help no one. His life and his writing inspire and help many.

I'm sorry you're all so angry about this. You don't know him. You won't educate yourself. I'm sorry for that too. It's sad.

I dont know him...nor care about him or his fate. His death will help me have faith in a the legal justice system works. That criminals are punished for the crimes they comment.

Life in prison...still gets him his life... he can write, have pen pals, eat, breathe, manipulate more people to take up his cause.... jack off.... Life is pretty good in a limited sense of the word.

The life he took.. can no longer do any of or partake in any of the life that his murder is left to enjoy.... fuck that shit!

Death.. and easy death at that is far to good. Life in prison is not even half enough.

Life in prison...still gets him his life... he can write, have pen pals, eat, breathe, manipulate more people to take up his cause.... jack off.... Life is pretty good in a limited sense of the word.

The life he took.. can no longer do any of or partake in any of the life that his murder is left to enjoy.... fuck that shit!

Death.. and easy death at that is far to good. Life in prison is not even half enough.

I hear you. That's your view. It's not mine. I oppose the death penalty.

No, I don't know Jarvis I know someone who was released after being in prison for 25 years for a crime he did not commit. He was cleared by DNA in Georgia. That said, I also know of a person who was in a gang and did some really bad things in his life and did not get caught ever...he changed. He woke up one day and decided that he didn't want to live that life anymore. Now he is helping me take baby steps to recover from an abusive relationship so that I can actually function in a normal relationship. That hardened gang member criminal is no longer a gang member or criminal, but a hardworking productive member of society and someone that has filled my life with hope and joy and taught me that you can leave an abuser and start over and find someone who is not an abuser. So personally I understand how much a person can change.

There is no statute of limitations on murder. If he was ever involved in one, his 'changed' status would not keep him out of prison.

Not one of you is the slightest bit interested in learning about who this man is. Blood lust. It's creepy.

I am not interested in finding out who most of 6.8 billion people in the world are, it is irrelevant to my life. It also does not matter who Jarvis is, even if you are 100% right about him. What matters is what he did, and that is what this is about.

By the way, there is actually a system that exists that is separate from the criminal justice system that is actually concerned about who a person is. If you want to help this man you should stop whinging about how little people on this care and start working on convincing Jerry Brown or Barrack Obama to issue a pardon. That is what they are there for, and they should be used more often.

It appears that Mr. Masters will claim whatever is convenient in order to free himself from prison.

In 1982, during the appeals process for 14 charges of armed robbery prosecuted against Mr. Masters, his defense team claimed that he was not guilty by reason of diminished capacity:

The purported defense of diminished capacity consisted of a three-page summary of Dr. Moskowitz's psychiatric examination. He had the clinical impression that defendant was a "sophisticated sociopathic character." He added that "[t]his is not to say that he may not have a severe underlying emotional disorder or for that matter even an organic brain condition e.g. psychomotor epilepsy." But he concluded: "I cannot state with certitude that defendant at the time of commission of the alleged offense could have had the mental capacity to form the specific intent to take property of another by force of fear .... It is my impression [134 Cal. App. 3d 516] that Mr. Masters suffers from a lack of conscience as a result of mental defect and hence was not sane at the time of commission of the alleged offense." No testimony was offered by either side on this issue.

It has been held that "a mere sociopathic personality with schizoid tendencies is insufficient without more to authorize an instruction on diminished capacity." (People v. Washington (1976) 58 Cal. App. 3d 620, 627 [130 Cal.Rptr. 96]; People v. Powell (1974) 40 Cal. App. 3d 107, 162-163 [115 Cal.Rptr. 109]. See alsoIn re Walker (1974) 10 Cal. 3d 764, 785 [112 Cal.Rptr. 177, 518 P.2d 1129], holding that a mere unstable personality and emotional instability without more are insufficient to suggest an inability to harbor the requisite mental state.)
People v. Masters (1982) 134 Cal. App. 3d 509 [185 Cal.Rptr. 134] :: Volume 134 :: Cal. App.3d Series :: California Case Law :: US Case Law :: US Law :: Justia

I would say that based upon Mr. Master's use of the local buddhist community to plead for his freedom after his involvement in killing a prison guard, he continues to suffer from a lack of conscience and would pose a risk to the community.

Sky has continually misstated this inmate's history. He wasn't tried for a single robbery, but rather, for multiple armed and premediated acts of robbery. He is a literal menace to the safety of any community.

The system works on deals. If there were no deals the system would collapse because there is no way to bring everyone accused of a crime to trial. That is the dirty little secret of the criminal justice system.

sorry, but the person who stabbed him is a worse offender than the person who sharpened the tool...I wouldn't make deals with someone like that and when we start preferring to let murderers go over their assistants then we already lost our sense of justice.

Recipe For Prison Pruno
Jarvis Masters

Take ten peeled oranges,
Jarvis Masters, it is the judgment and sentence of this court,
one 8 oz. bowl of fruit cocktail,
that the charged information was true,
squeeze the fruit into a small plastic bag,
and the jury having previously, on said date,
and put the juice along with the mash inside,
found that the penalty shall be death,
add 16 oz. of water and seal the bag tightly.
and this Court having, on August 20, 1991,
Place the bag into your sink,
denied your motion for a new trial,
and heat it with hot running water for 15 minutes.
it is the order of this Court that you suffer death,
wrap towels around the bag to keep it warm for fermentation.
said penalty to be inflicted within the walls of San Quentin,
Stash the bag in your cell undisturbed for 48 hours.
at which place you shall be put to death,
When the time has elapsed,
in the manner prescribed by law,
add 40 to 60 cubes of white sugar,
the date later to be fixed by the Court in warrant of execution.
six teaspoons of ketchup,
You are remanded to the custody of the warden of San Quentin,
then heat again for 30 minutes,
to be held by him pending final
secure the bag as done before,
determination of your appeal.
then stash the bag undisturbed again for 72 hours.
It is so ordered.
Reheat daily for 15 minutes.
In witness whereof,
After 72 hours,
I have hereon set my hand as Judge of this Superior Court,
with a spoon, skim off the mash,
and I have caused the seal of this Court to be affixed thereto.
pour the remaining portion into two 18 oz. cups.
May God have mercy on your soul.

California State Prison-San Quentin
San Quentin, California

I hear you. That's your view. It's not mine. I oppose the death penalty.

MY version of what life in prison should be is quite different from yours i would imagine.

Life in prison should be like pelican bay and worse. They are only let out of a concrete cell for 1 hour a day. No contact with anyone. No TV, no books, no computers, no phone calls...He could write his little heart out.. and that is as far as it would ever go, it would not leave his cell.

Forum List

Back