Prison: A Waste of Human Life

Here is some further background reading on Mr. Masters. The only people who are claiming that he isn't guilty are his defense team. Apparently, Sky is so naive that she believes that defense attorneys always tell the truth about their clients.

Death Row Produces An Internet Philosopher - SFGate

Five years later, California juries found three inmates affiliated with the Black Guerrilla Family gang guilty of the killing. According to court records, the gang decided to kill four prison guards to start a prison war; the Black Guerrilla Family had worked out a pact, later dropped, with the Crips gang: Each gang would kill two guards.

Jurors recommended the death penalty for two defendants. Judge Beverly Savitt chose to sentence one to life without parole, but let stand the death sentence for the other, Jarvis Jay Masters, a San Quentin inmate serving a 22 year sentence for a spate of armed robberies. Marin County District Attorney Paula Kamena, who had tried the case, explained that the evidence against Masters was "overwhelming." She added, "He sharpened and made the weapon and helped put it in the hands of the killer."

It's funny how Sky left buddhism, but is still parroting mantras without actually understanding them. In this case, she's parrotting mantras written by a murderer that serve only to benefit him. No wonder her religion is a constant struggle for her, she's being "taught" by a convicted murderer.

FWIW, the Gate is hardly a conservative media outlet.

Last edited:
S130495
IN THE SUPREME COURT OF CALIFORNIA
En Banc
In re JARVIS J. MASTERS on Habeas Corpus

The order filed on February 14, 2007 issuing an order to show cause is hereby amended to read in its entirely;

The Director of Corrections and Rehabilitation is ordered to show cause before this court, when the matter is placed on calendar, why petitioner is not entitled to relief because

(1) material false evidence was admitted at the guilt phase of his trial;
(2) newly discovered evidence casts fundamental doubt on the prosecution's guilt-phase case;
(3) petitioner's trial was fundamentally unfair because prosecution witness Rufus Willis’ testimony was unreliable due to improper coercion by the prosecution,
(4) the prosecution violated Brady v. Maryland (1963) 373 U.S. 83 by failing to disclose the promises of leniency to prosecution witness Bobby Evans and other facts bearing on Evans' credibility that have come to light after the judgment was imposed,
(5) the prosecution knowingly presented the false testimony of Bobby Evans,
(6) petitioner's trial was fundamentally unfair because Bobby Evans' testimony was unreliable due to improper coercion by the prosecution,
(7) material false evidence—the testimony of Johnny Hoze—was admitted at the penalty phase regarding petitioner's participation in the murder of David Jackson; and
(8) newly discovered evidence regarding Hoze's testimony casts fundamental doubt on the accuracy and reliability of the penalty-phase proceedings, as alleged in Claims II, III and V of the petition. The return must be filed in this court on or before March 16, 2007. Kennard and Werdegar, JJ., would issue the order to show cause on the additional grounds that newly presented evidence establishes petitioner is actually innocent of the crimes for which he was convicted and that his execution would violate the federal Constitution because he is actually innocent, as alleged in Claim II.

What's New with Jarvis's Case

Life in prison...still gets him his life... he can write, have pen pals, eat, breathe, manipulate more people to take up his cause.... jack off.... Life is pretty good in a limited sense of the word.

The life he took.. can no longer do any of or partake in any of the life that his murder is left to enjoy.... fuck that shit!

Death.. and easy death at that is far to good. Life in prison is not even half enough.

I hear you. That's your view. It's not mine. I oppose the death penalty.

MY version of what life in prison should be is quite different from yours i would imagine.

Life in prison should be like pelican bay and worse. They are only let out of a concrete cell for 1 hour a day. No contact with anyone. No TV, no books, no computers, no phone calls...He could write his little heart out.. and that is as far as it would ever go, it would not leave his cell.

I hear you. This is YOUR view. You're entitled to it.

S130495
IN THE SUPREME COURT OF CALIFORNIA
En Banc
In re JARVIS J. MASTERS on Habeas Corpus

The order filed on February 14, 2007 issuing an order to show cause is hereby amended to read in its entirely;

The Director of Corrections and Rehabilitation is ordered to show cause before this court, when the matter is placed on calendar, why petitioner is not entitled to relief because

(1) material false evidence was admitted at the guilt phase of his trial;
(2) newly discovered evidence casts fundamental doubt on the prosecution's guilt-phase case;
(3) petitioner's trial was fundamentally unfair because prosecution witness Rufus Willis’ testimony was unreliable due to improper coercion by the prosecution,
(4) the prosecution violated Brady v. Maryland (1963) 373 U.S. 83 by failing to disclose the promises of leniency to prosecution witness Bobby Evans and other facts bearing on Evans' credibility that have come to light after the judgment was imposed,
(5) the prosecution knowingly presented the false testimony of Bobby Evans,
(6) petitioner's trial was fundamentally unfair because Bobby Evans' testimony was unreliable due to improper coercion by the prosecution,
(7) material false evidence—the testimony of Johnny Hoze—was admitted at the penalty phase regarding petitioner's participation in the murder of David Jackson; and
(8) newly discovered evidence regarding Hoze's testimony casts fundamental doubt on the accuracy and reliability of the penalty-phase proceedings, as alleged in Claims II, III and V of the petition. The return must be filed in this court on or before March 16, 2007. Kennard and Werdegar, JJ., would issue the order to show cause on the additional grounds that newly presented evidence establishes petitioner is actually innocent of the crimes for which he was convicted and that his execution would violate the federal Constitution because he is actually innocent, as alleged in Claim II.

What's New with Jarvis's Case

Feel free to explain the findings of the court in regards to this legal brief filed by Mr. Master's defense...

I hear you. That's your view. It's not mine. I oppose the death penalty.

MY version of what life in prison should be is quite different from yours i would imagine.

Life in prison should be like pelican bay and worse. They are only let out of a concrete cell for 1 hour a day. No contact with anyone. No TV, no books, no computers, no phone calls...He could write his little heart out.. and that is as far as it would ever go, it would not leave his cell.

Yes i know... just as you are entitled to yours.

From the SF Gate article linked above:

Of course, you have to wonder why this defense is not the focus of the Free Jarvis Web site. And why Masters has been able to garner support and endorsements for his wonderful character with a site that attacks the guilty verdict for dubious reasons, and even boasts that the prosecution produced evidence that tied him to the crime, but not as much as it tied the other guys.

Baxter explained that the Web site doesn't set out his defense because, "We don't want anything done that would compromise the (death-penalty appeal) investigation. We've instructed them" -- the Free Jarvis Web site folks -- "not to get into matters that have nothing to do with the incident."

That's what Baxter said. Thing is, the "he's not guilty" argument wasn't even necessary to draw people who would want to join the Free Jarvis chorus into reading the site.

Barbara Burchfield doesn't understand it. "They seem to forget that five children have been deprived of their father. Every time there was a birthday, every time there was a holiday, any time there was a significant reason to celebrate, his place at the table is empty."

Jarvis Masters was sentenced to death in 1990.

After the trial, three prosecution witnesses recanted their testimony against Masters, and his codefendants submitted statements saying he had not been involved.

The prosecution's star witness, who had testified that Masters helped plot the killing and wrote a self-incriminating note, said in his post-trial statement that a prosecutor threatened to return him to San Quentin if he didn't cooperate. That would have amounted to a death sentence for someone identified as an informer, the witness said.

Another witness said he had failed to disclose a prosecution promise of leniency in his own cases, and an inmate who had testified that Masters had fatally stabbed another prisoner in 1984 said he lied because he had a grudge against Masters.

In response, Deputy Attorney General Gerald Engler, the state's lawyer, said witness recantations are inherently suspect, and noted that Masters' codefendants had already lost their appeals and had nothing to lose by trying to exonerate him
Read more: New probe of '85 murder of San Quentin guard

Yes i know... just as you are entitled to yours.

Thank you for saying that. So far, you're one of the few posters on the opposite side of this argument who has resorted to ad hominem.

I appreciate that.

Sky

Since early January, 2011, Jarvis and his legal team have been involved in evidentiary hearings mandated by the California Supreme Court. The outcome of these hearings will determine if Jarvis will have his 1989 conviction overturned and have a new trial.

Since early January, 2011, Jarvis and his legal team have been involved in evidentiary hearings mandated by the California Supreme Court. The outcome of these hearings will determine if Jarvis will have his 1989 conviction overturned and have a new trial.
God willing, he gets a shank rammed up his ass, and his death is as violent, painful, and bloody as the guard HE HELPED KILL.:evil:

God willing, he gets a shank rammed up his ass, and his death is as violent, painful, and bloody as the guard HE HELPED KILL.:evil:

He didn't help kill Sgt Burchfield.

I wonder if his sociopathic personality and lack of conscience (a claim that arose from defense team during his appeals on his robbery convictions) will be taken into consideration.

Were you there? If not, you don't know this, you are merely parrotting the self-serving rhetoric of Mr. Masters and his defense team. His original trial found that there was strong evidence that he not only created the weapon, but that he ordered the crime.

Check out this organization:

California People of Faith Working Against the Death Penalty.

Quantum, they shouldn't have made deals with the actual murderer period..they should have made deals with the other two.

The system works on deals. If there were no deals the system would collapse because there is no way to bring everyone accused of a crime to trial. That is the dirty little secret of the criminal justice system.

sorry, but the person who stabbed him is a worse offender than the person who sharpened the tool...I wouldn't make deals with someone like that and when we start preferring to let murderers go over their assistants then we already lost our sense of justice.
Bullshit!....He is no different than the piece of shit who gutted that Guard.

And, when you get a clue as to how the criminal justice, and court system works here in California, get back to us.

Friggin lunatics.:cuckoo:

Sure he did. You say so yourself in other posts.

Quantum, they shouldn't have made deals with the actual murderer period..they should have made deals with the other two.

The system works on deals. If there were no deals the system would collapse because there is no way to bring everyone accused of a crime to trial. That is the dirty little secret of the criminal justice system.

sorry, but the person who stabbed him is a worse offender than the person who sharpened the tool...I wouldn't make deals with someone like that and when we start preferring to let murderers go over their assistants then we already lost our sense of justice.

Become a DA and you can decide who gets the deals and who doesn't. I am just explaining the world, not defending it.

Forum List

Back