Prison: A Waste of Human Life

Jarvis Masters was one of seven children who was removed from his home because his father had deserted the family and his mother was addicted to drugs. He lived in foster homes and turned his anger into a crime spree that included holding up businesses at gunpoint but never shooting anyone.

He became a San Quentin inmate at 19, began a writing career and became a Buddhist in 1989.

Last edited:
Jarvis Masters was one of seven children who was removed from his home because his father had deserted the family and his mother was addicted to drugs. He lived in foster homes and turned his anger into a crime spree that included holding up businesses at gunpoint but never shooting anyone.

He became a San Quentin inmate at 19, began a writing career and became a Buddhist in 1989.

Who gives a shit? I know you do... but most people could care less about him.

Why didn't the peaceful, kind and loving Jarvis Marbles notify a guard or a prison chaplain that there was an active plot to commit murder in the prison?

Padma Publishing

Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche established Padma Publishing to make the written works of the Vajrayana tradition of Tibetan Buddhism available in English. All approaches of Buddhist meditation training are subsumed within the Vajrayana, which is unparalleled in its swift revelation of mind's true nature. One of the four main Vajrayana schools is the Nyingma, culminating in the pinnacle teachings of Dzogchen, the Great Perfection. Padma translates and publishes traditional Nyingma practice liturgies and other texts, as well as the contemporary teachings of Chagdud Rinpoche and other Vajrayana lamas. Padma also published Finding Freedom: Writings from Death Row by Jarvis Masters (a student of Chagdud Rinpoche's), a memoir of spiritual transformation written from within the walls of San Quentin State Prison.

Currently in print are thirteen titles as well as twenty-five liturgies in the Tibetan-style pecha format (unbound). Several of Padma's titles are also available in foreign language editions, including Italian, German, French, and Dutch. In addition, Rigdzin Editoria in Brazil has published many Padma Publishing texts and books in Portuguese.

Padma Publishing is also engaged in the long-term project of translating into English the revered Dzogchen texts known as the Seven Treasuries, by the fourteenth-century Nyingma master Longchen Rabjam (Longchenpa). In 1998 Padma published the Naylug Dzod, which is translated in English as The Way of Abiding. In 2001 Padma published the Chöying Dzod as two texts: The Basic Space of Phenomena and its companion volume A Treasure Trove of Scriptural Transmission. Richard Barron and the Padma Translation Committee translated these works under the direction of Chagdud Rinpoche.

Why didn't the peaceful, kind and loving Jarvis Marbles notify a guard or a prison chaplain that there was an active plot to commit murder in the prison?

He wasn't a writer or a Buddhist at the time of Burchfield's murder.

Oh, I see.

Only writers and Buddhists are obligated to notify the authorities when there is a plot to kill someone.

Good to know. :thup:

Being a writer or a bhuddist has no bearing on his crime or subsequent death sentence. What does have bearing is that he WAS a conspirator in a murder with special circumstances. What does have bearing is that he did not stop the murder by telling the authorities of the pending murder to come.

Last edited:

Being a writer or a bhuddist has no bearing on his crime or subsequent death sentence. What does have bearing is that he WAS a constrictor in a murder with special circumstances.

You're really starting to bore me.

The Prison Dharma project, an international, non-denominational, and non-sectarian organization, trains facilitators to work with troubled prisoners. It "supports prisoners in the practice of contemplative disciplines, with emphasis on the meditation practices of the various Buddhist traditions. PDN also promotes the Buddhist path of wakefulness and non-aggression as an ideal means of self-rehabilitation and transformation."

I am affiliated with this group.

The Prison Dharma project, an international, non-denominational, and non-sectarian organization, trains facilitators to work with troubled prisoners. It "supports prisoners in the practice of contemplative disciplines, with emphasis on the meditation practices of the various Buddhist traditions. PDN also promotes the Buddhist path of wakefulness and non-aggression as an ideal means of self-rehabilitation and transformation."

Good for you sky.

Ever try a group for victims of violent crimes? Or being an advocate for victims rights?

Good for you sky.

Ever try a group for victims of violent crimes? Or being an advocate for victims rights?

I happen to be a Certified Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Victim Advocate. I work for victims rights.

How exactly are they non-denominational if they focus solely on Buddhism?

nondenominational [ˌnɒndɪˌnɒmɪˈneɪʃənəl]
adj
not of or related to any religious denomination

nondenominational - definition of nondenominational by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Forum List

Back