Prison: A Waste of Human Life

My eleventh grade Contemporary Composition students read selections from Finding Freedom in the spring and now again in the fall. I want to thank you again for helping my students find a reason to live and dedicate themselves to constructive living."

DB
Los Angeles, California

"Our University class is reading your book Finding Freedom. We wanted to tell you how inspiring your book is and encourage you to continue writing. You have brought new meaning to Shantideva's statement:

Whatever joy there is in this world
All comes from desiring others to be happy
And whatever suffering there is in this world
All comes from desiring myself to be happy."
VM
Hamilton, NY
"I was so touched by the way Jarvis's story touched my students that I am attaching a few of the representative essays in the hopes that other educators might see how powerful his work is in reaching out to students with no real experience of people in his situation."

CC
Tucson, AZ

"I am an English professor living and working in the Northeast, and I am teaching a class this semester whereby incarcerated and "outside" students take a class together as peers, conducted in a correctional facility. I knew that I wanted to start the course by reading your book Finding Freedom together, and I asked that their first "paper" be a letter to you… Please know how warmly we all wish you well, and how absolutely heartened and moved and educated and resonated-with everyone was by your vivid, illuminating book."

SD
Hadley, MA

I just discovered the web page for Jarvis and am relieved and grateful for his advocates. I am a teacher in Chicago who is using "Finding Freedom" in my English classes and have seen the lives of my students transformed because of his powerful message. I was looking for a way to contribute money to Jarvis's appeal campaign and have found it. Thank you.

Excerpts from 11th graders’ letters to Jarvis Masters after reading FINDING FREEDOM
From Bravo High School, Los Angeles, Ca. 2005
I want you to know that your book really helped me to appreciate life and not take it for granted. I’m not saying I know exactly what you went through, and I might not ever, but the way you describe your stories makes me not want to ever go through that.
--D.B.Thank you for teaching me important morals and helping me understand the value of life.
--S.P.

Your faith and your actions serve to inspire others. Every member of my class was deeply touched by your work. Your honesty has helped open my eyes and given me a new hope in the faith of the human spirit. Your bravery under such daunting conditions is awe-inspiring. After reading your stories I have realized that one can never give up and that life is definitely worth living. Your work and your honesty mean a great deal to me. . I believe that you are an example of a person who has undergone adverse conditions and still remains hopeful that truth and innocence will prevail. It is your thoughts that have given me a newfound hope in humanity.
--A.R.

Your book really pushed me to care about other people more than to always care about only myself.
--Z.S.

Finding Freedom should be on every 11th grade class priority reading list. I admire your motivation and dedication. Those essential qualities are what make you the strong and faithful individual that many seek to become.
– J.V.

Thank you for your inspiration. Because of you I learned that life has its ups and downs and no matter what an individual should have strength, hope in himself and others as well.
--C.P.

You have no idea what your stories mean to us. Your passages really touched my heart and my soul. I could keep on reading them for a long time. I’m not that type of person that enjoys reading, but I really enjoyed reading your work. Have faith in the Man up stairs because he knows right from wrong.
--V.R.

You have become such a positive person in San Quentin and around the world. You have made such an impact in my life by knowing what you’ve been through and still finding a way to give life to others and giving all of us hope in succeeding in life. I thank you.
--E.P.

Your book encouraged me to stay away from violence so I won’t end up in prison. Like yourself, I grew up with no father. I’ve sometimes thought no one loved nor cared about me, and it was hard to move on. You sound as if you take your experiences well. So I would like to thank you for the encouragement you spread not only to me and people across the States, but in my class. Hopefully, your words planted a seed in everyone, because it definitely did for me.
--M.B.

The story I found most affective was “A Reason To Live.” I loved the fact that you helped keep Alex from committing suicide. Through your technique, I found that life is important and very valuable. I hope one day you will be released into the world. Again.
--V.P.

This book has been such an inspiration because it taught me about myself. I should not take life for granted and be the best person I can be. Stay healthy and strong because good things happen to good people.
--J.M.

Thank you for showing me what matters most, thank you for giving me so much reason to love my life and the ones around me. You are truly a man with enough will, heart, and passion to touch millions. I hope you find all the things in your life that matter most.
--J.C.

I fear the thought of ending up in prison and I savor the security I have. How can you deal with such intense drama? The qualities which you possess are unparalleled.
--B.J.

I know it should not matter to me if someone I do not know at all is killed or not but my dad is in prison too, and I would not want no one to kill him in there. Thank you.
--D.M.

I got diagnosed diabetic at a very young age. Sometimes I see life in a very dark way. For me, it hasn’t been easy and sometimes I wish I was dead. From reading your stories I have learned to see life in a more positive way. Life is hard but we have to make the best out of it and bringing ourselves down is not going to take us anywhere. What advice would you give me about the way I feel about life? I would really appreciate if you took some time and gave me some advice about how to deal with life and not see it so negative.
--M.S.

I have learned to treat people equally and with more respect. You continue to inspire as well as remind others of the importance of respect for one another.
--A.T.

I want you to know that your book is read by many people and changes people’s ideas.
--D.R.

I think it is unethical of you to involve your high school students in your campaign.

These are not my high school students. Wrong assumption. Typical ad hominem personal attack.

Last edited:
Jarvis is the first one to acknowledge that. Jarvis was lost when he was first incarcerated. Without the Death Penalty sentencing, he would not have sought a spiritual answer. His karma led him to the dharma.

Buddhist practice and writing have changed Jarvis Masters profoundly.

But as posted by none other Sky Dancer on another thread, Buddhism has left you angry and rageful. How do we know that Buddhism has not created a bigger monster than the one he was when he was convicted?

My personal story is irrelevant to this thread. The only story I'd like to tell in this thread, is one where Jarvis helped a severely disabled woman I know with end stage MS, to write a children's book before she died.

Your personal story is most relevant to this thread. If Buddhism can leave one of it's converts angry and rageful, it can leave others that way as well.

You didn't answer my question. How do we know Buddhism hasn't turned him into a bigger monster than he was when he was convicted?

My eleventh grade Contemporary Composition students read selections from Finding Freedom in the spring and now again in the fall. I want to thank you again for helping my students find a reason to live and dedicate themselves to constructive living."

DB
Los Angeles, California

"Our University class is reading your book Finding Freedom. We wanted to tell you how inspiring your book is and encourage you to continue writing. You have brought new meaning to Shantideva's statement:

VM
Hamilton, NY
"I was so touched by the way Jarvis's story touched my students that I am attaching a few of the representative essays in the hopes that other educators might see how powerful his work is in reaching out to students with no real experience of people in his situation."

CC
Tucson, AZ

"I am an English professor living and working in the Northeast, and I am teaching a class this semester whereby incarcerated and "outside" students take a class together as peers, conducted in a correctional facility. I knew that I wanted to start the course by reading your book Finding Freedom together, and I asked that their first "paper" be a letter to you… Please know how warmly we all wish you well, and how absolutely heartened and moved and educated and resonated-with everyone was by your vivid, illuminating book."

SD
Hadley, MA

I just discovered the web page for Jarvis and am relieved and grateful for his advocates. I am a teacher in Chicago who is using "Finding Freedom" in my English classes and have seen the lives of my students transformed because of his powerful message. I was looking for a way to contribute money to Jarvis's appeal campaign and have found it. Thank you.

Excerpts from 11th graders’ letters to Jarvis Masters after reading FINDING FREEDOM
I want you to know that your book really helped me to appreciate life and not take it for granted. I’m not saying I know exactly what you went through, and I might not ever, but the way you describe your stories makes me not want to ever go through that.
--D.B.Thank you for teaching me important morals and helping me understand the value of life.
--S.P.

Your faith and your actions serve to inspire others. Every member of my class was deeply touched by your work. Your honesty has helped open my eyes and given me a new hope in the faith of the human spirit. Your bravery under such daunting conditions is awe-inspiring. After reading your stories I have realized that one can never give up and that life is definitely worth living. Your work and your honesty mean a great deal to me. . I believe that you are an example of a person who has undergone adverse conditions and still remains hopeful that truth and innocence will prevail. It is your thoughts that have given me a newfound hope in humanity.
--A.R.

Your book really pushed me to care about other people more than to always care about only myself.
--Z.S.

Finding Freedom should be on every 11th grade class priority reading list. I admire your motivation and dedication. Those essential qualities are what make you the strong and faithful individual that many seek to become.
– J.V.

Thank you for your inspiration. Because of you I learned that life has its ups and downs and no matter what an individual should have strength, hope in himself and others as well.
--C.P.

You have no idea what your stories mean to us. Your passages really touched my heart and my soul. I could keep on reading them for a long time. I’m not that type of person that enjoys reading, but I really enjoyed reading your work. Have faith in the Man up stairs because he knows right from wrong.
--V.R.

You have become such a positive person in San Quentin and around the world. You have made such an impact in my life by knowing what you’ve been through and still finding a way to give life to others and giving all of us hope in succeeding in life. I thank you.
--E.P.

Your book encouraged me to stay away from violence so I won’t end up in prison. Like yourself, I grew up with no father. I’ve sometimes thought no one loved nor cared about me, and it was hard to move on. You sound as if you take your experiences well. So I would like to thank you for the encouragement you spread not only to me and people across the States, but in my class. Hopefully, your words planted a seed in everyone, because it definitely did for me.
--M.B.

The story I found most affective was “A Reason To Live.” I loved the fact that you helped keep Alex from committing suicide. Through your technique, I found that life is important and very valuable. I hope one day you will be released into the world. Again.
--V.P.

This book has been such an inspiration because it taught me about myself. I should not take life for granted and be the best person I can be. Stay healthy and strong because good things happen to good people.
--J.M.

Thank you for showing me what matters most, thank you for giving me so much reason to love my life and the ones around me. You are truly a man with enough will, heart, and passion to touch millions. I hope you find all the things in your life that matter most.
--J.C.

I fear the thought of ending up in prison and I savor the security I have. How can you deal with such intense drama? The qualities which you possess are unparalleled.
--B.J.

I know it should not matter to me if someone I do not know at all is killed or not but my dad is in prison too, and I would not want no one to kill him in there. Thank you.
--D.M.

I got diagnosed diabetic at a very young age. Sometimes I see life in a very dark way. For me, it hasn’t been easy and sometimes I wish I was dead. From reading your stories I have learned to see life in a more positive way. Life is hard but we have to make the best out of it and bringing ourselves down is not going to take us anywhere. What advice would you give me about the way I feel about life? I would really appreciate if you took some time and gave me some advice about how to deal with life and not see it so negative.
--M.S.

I have learned to treat people equally and with more respect. You continue to inspire as well as remind others of the importance of respect for one another.
--A.T.

I want you to know that your book is read by many people and changes people’s ideas.
--D.R.

I think it is unethical of you to involve your high school students in your campaign.

These are not my high school students. Wrong assumption. Typical personal attack.

From your post.

My eleventh grade Contemporary Composition students

When does quoting you become a personal attack. I believe you are unethical to drag high school students into something like this.

And you still haven't answered my first question.

But as posted by none other Sky Dancer on another thread, Buddhism has left you angry and rageful. How do we know that Buddhism has not created a bigger monster than the one he was when he was convicted?

My personal story is irrelevant to this thread. The only story I'd like to tell in this thread, is one where Jarvis helped a severely disabled woman I know with end stage MS, to write a children's book before she died.

Your personal story is most relevant to this thread. If Buddhism can leave one of it's converts angry and rageful, it can leave others that way as well.

You didn't answer my question. How do we know Buddhism hasn't turned him into a bigger monster than he was when he was convicted?

1. The only way you would know what kind of person he is, would be if you read his books.

2. My personal story is not relevant to Jarvis Masters, except for the way he helped the woman with MS. I know about that experience first hand, because I was the one who wrote her words down to him and who read her his letters. It was a remarkable experience. Here I was, helping two people who were imprisoned be free enough to express themselves fully before dying. My friend with MS, was bedbound, unable to move anything, and had very little breath to speak. Even in this stage, she was able to write a book for her children before she died. She did so, with Jarvis' help.

3. If you wanted to know how Buddhism has helped Jarvis, you would read his books. He is a peaceful man, and he is completely free, even though he is on Death Row.

These are not my high school students. Wrong assumption. Typical personal attack.

From your post.

When does quoting you become a personal attack. I believe you are unethical to drag high school students into something like this.

These are not my students. Calling me unethical is a personal attack. You assumed they were my students, but they are not.

DB
Los Angeles, California

VM
Hamilton, NY

CC
Tucson, AZ

SD
Hadley, MA

--S.P.

--A.R.

--Z.S.

– J.V.

--C.P.

--V.R.

--E.P.

--M.B.

--V.P.

--J.M.

--J.C.

--B.J.

--D.M.

--M.S.

--A.T.

--D.R.
DAMN !!This is what is wrong in our schools!!

Thank you for having an actual conversation about this topic. You know Jarvis?

Yes, people can and do change.

No, I don't know Jarvis I know someone who was released after being in prison for 25 years for a crime he did not commit. He was cleared by DNA in Georgia. That said, I also know of a person who was in a gang and did some really bad things in his life and did not get caught ever...he changed. He woke up one day and decided that he didn't want to live that life anymore. Now he is helping me take baby steps to recover from an abusive relationship so that I can actually function in a normal relationship. That hardened gang member criminal is no longer a gang member or criminal, but a hardworking productive member of society and someone that has filled my life with hope and joy and taught me that you can leave an abuser and start over and find someone who is not an abuser. So personally I understand how much a person can change.

There is no statute of limitations on murder. If he was ever involved in one, his 'changed' status would not keep him out of prison.

If you are referring to the changed person I am talking about..he never took anyone's life..being a former gang member does not mean you murdered.

DB
Los Angeles, California

VM
Hamilton, NY

CC
Tucson, AZ

SD
Hadley, MA

--S.P.

--A.R.

--Z.S.

– J.V.

--C.P.

--V.R.

--E.P.

--M.B.

--V.P.

--J.M.

--J.C.

--B.J.

--D.M.

--M.S.

--A.T.

--D.R.
DAMN !!This is what is wrong in our schools!!

This is one of the things that is right with our schools. Jarvis had helped many kids to avoid gang membership through his writing.

Jarvis has written:

"Those who want to make sense of my life will see, through my writing, a human being who made mistakes. Maybe my writing will at least help them see me as someone who felt, loved, and cared, someone who wanted to know himself for who he was."

The victims was also someone who felt, loved, cared and more. Why so much more sympathy for the perp than the victims?

The woman who killed my loved one said much the same. He's still dead. And she's been arrested for the same fucking crime since. How many more people does she get to murder? How many more people have to go through what we went through because of idiots like you who think that 'prison is a waste of human life'?

Jarvis has written:

"Those who want to make sense of my life will see, through my writing, a human being who made mistakes. Maybe my writing will at least help them see me as someone who felt, loved, and cared, someone who wanted to know himself for who he was."

The victims was also someone who felt, loved, cared and more. Why so much more sympathy for the perp than the victims?

The woman who killed my loved one said much the same. He's still dead. And she's been arrested for the same fucking crime since. How many more people does she get to murder? How many more people have to go through what we went through because of idiots like you who think that 'prison is a waste of human life'?

Prison is extremely wasteful alot of the time. I'm sorry for your experience. I don't blame you for being angry. You don't have to take it out on me, though. I just see things differently.

If you are referring to the changed person I am talking about..he never took anyone's life..being a former gang member does not mean you murdered.

I agree. One of my close friends was a former gang member as a teenager. Thankfully, the missionaries taught him about Jesus Christ and he left the gang and gang life before he committed any crimes. He's probably one of the coolest guys i know. And probably the most physically fit.

I agree. One of my close friends was a former gang member as a teenager. Thankfully, the missionaries taught him about Jesus Christ and he left the gang and gang life before he committed any crimes. He's probably one of the coolest guys i know. And probably the most physically fit.

What makes you think that Jarvis hasn't changed, exactly like your friend did?

From your post.

These are not my students. Calling me unethical is a personal attack. You assumed they were my students, but they are not.

Then it is unethical of whomever's students these were. :rolleyes:

There!

You still haven't answered my question.

A Reason to Live, p. 25
1.What was the psychology Jarvis used in changing the young man's mind about suicide?
2.Have you ever felt suicidal or known someone who felt suicidal? What helped you/them feel more optimistic about life?
3.Why do you think Jarvis's technique was successful?

Fruitcakes, p. 35
■What qualities do we see in Jarvis as he describes the craziness around him? Give examples.

Thirteen Sixty-Eight, p. 47
1.How do you feel about Milton getting out of prison?
2.What can be done to help people like Milton have a positive successful life on the outside? (If you know of programs in existence that have this goal, describe them.)

The Boneyard Visit, p. 51
1.This account of Herbert's conjugal visit shows the humanity of the inmates. What else can you say about it?
2.How does Jarvis's account (Herbert's account) differ from the way sex is portrayed in the media?

Funny How Time Flies, p. 57
■This story has its funny side, but might evoke other emotions in you, as well. Express these.

Recipe for Prison Pruno, p. 63
1.Describe your response to this poem.
2.Try your hand at a similar piece of writing using a real event in your life juxtaposed with a recipe, advertisement, or a popular song.

When I First Got Charged, p. 65
■Talk about the transformation in Jarvis as he allows "wonder" into his life.
Finding Freedom -- Writings from Death Row> Study Guide

No, I don't know Jarvis I know someone who was released after being in prison for 25 years for a crime he did not commit. He was cleared by DNA in Georgia. That said, I also know of a person who was in a gang and did some really bad things in his life and did not get caught ever...he changed. He woke up one day and decided that he didn't want to live that life anymore. Now he is helping me take baby steps to recover from an abusive relationship so that I can actually function in a normal relationship. That hardened gang member criminal is no longer a gang member or criminal, but a hardworking productive member of society and someone that has filled my life with hope and joy and taught me that you can leave an abuser and start over and find someone who is not an abuser. So personally I understand how much a person can change.

There is no statute of limitations on murder. If he was ever involved in one, his 'changed' status would not keep him out of prison.

He certainly could have. Murder is often a rite of passage in a gang. If he did, he will not be exempt from the law.

What makes you think that Jarvis hasn't changed, exactly like your friend did?

It isn't about whether the person changed or not...a person can change, but if a person commits a crime they have to pay for that crime irregardless. I already said his part in the murder should have been life in prison like the others, not the death penalty, that I feel like it is unjust to put him to death when he sharpened the shank and the other guy actually did the murder and didn't get the same treatment, but he wasn't innocent.

Jarvis has written:

Prison is extremely wasteful alot of the time. I'm sorry for your experience. I don't blame you for being angry. You don't have to take it out on me, though. I just see things differently.

I'm not taking it out on you. I'm telling you why I disagree. I don't give a shit who you are, if you are responsible for the death of another human being without just cause then you deserve to rot in hell, in my opinion. There is no 'waste' in that, to me. It is the justice that follows your own actions. We all live with the consequences of our actions. No one deserves to be treated differently. Prison is a consequence of an action. Don't like the consequence, don't do the action that leads there. Not rocket science.

Forum List

Back