Prison: A Waste of Human Life

Without prison Jarvis would have hurt alot of people.

Without prison Jarvis would have never become a "writer".

Same case with alot of the Blacks who convert to Islam behind bars, when they are released some stay commited to their new Islamic life style, but others will go back to drinking, smoking weed, fucking women and going back to the same behaviors that got them locked up.

Religions is a pass time...something to do while locked up. It meas nothing... except to help them look good for parole. Its all bullshit.

Religion is very appealing when you are restricted from the shit you do on the streets like alcohol, women, sex etc, when an inmate is released the real test begins, anyone can be a Monk when you are locked up.

LOL. Surely you jest. They have all the vices in prison they have on the street - drugs, alcohol, sex, gangs, fights. You name it. At the prisons where I practiced, they called their homemade alcohol 'julep' and you could smell it brewing. Canned fruit and bread from their plates was about all they needed to get a batch going.

I don't know when/if a person has changed. Thats why I asked.

But a better question is if we did somewhat know, how would we know if someone is faking change or not?

This just raises alot of questions.

(but I do like the civilized convo. POSITIVE REP 4 U! :D)

If you read Jarvis writings, you would know that this is a man, who is profoundly changed. I argue that it is a waste to kill Jarvis Masters. I oppose the death penalty, in principle and in practice, such as, in relation to this man, who I know.

Who gives a shit whether he's 'changed'? Only the manipulated fools who believe him.

My sympathy remains with his victims. He did the crime, he can do the time. If he gets executed, so much the better.

Your ridiculous thread title tells me all I need to know about your views.

I care if he or she changes. I want them to repent and be healed. Like I want everyone too.

That doesn't change the fact that he (or any other criminal) committed a crime and has to be held accountable to that. If we did a crime worthy of death, than repenting doesnt stop us from losing our life. We still have to be accountable for actions.

In fact, the biggest evidence of whether someone has actually changed, is that they will want to be held accountable for their actions. If you have committed a crime, you would want to pay for your crime. If you steal from someone, you will restore their property to them. If you commit a capital offense, you will submit to the demands of justice.

As a retired federal correctional officer, I 100% disagree. Majority of them got what they deserve. My experiance is the majority of them lie as good as any hollywood actor following a script.

It's too bad you have no heart for the people you worked with. Some of them may have surprised you.

I hear you. We disagree. I wouldn't have worked in any job where I hated the people I served as much as you have.
I didn't say i had no heart or hated them. Some of them were there because they made a mistake, they are usually the ones that will admit that. The majority though deny they are guilty and will lie and manipulate others for their own good. I seen it first hand quite often. You learn to see thru the lies.

And the ones who don't lie have some rationalization. Example: The perv who raped and 11 year old girl, 'her mother said it was OK.'

If not for prison, Jarvis would already be dead.

Blacks live longer in prison then they do outside of prison.

It's too bad you have no heart for the people you worked with. Some of them may have surprised you.

I hear you. We disagree. I wouldn't have worked in any job where I hated the people I served as much as you have.
I didn't say i had no heart or hated them. Some of them were there because they made a mistake, they are usually the ones that will admit that. The majority though deny they are guilty and will lie and manipulate others for their own good. I seen it first hand quite often. You learn to see thru the lies.

And the ones who don't lie have some rationalization. Example: The perv who raped and 11 year old girl, 'her mother said it was OK.'

No one is arguing that some people aren't able to change. I'm saying that some are capable of positive and they do change.

Jarvis Masters is a good example of someone who put his prison sentence to work in service to others.

Some people can truly change behind bars, however that doesn't lessen the severity of their crimes. People look deep in themselves in tough situations, hell I know people that have changed by going on deployments in the Military.

Jarvis Masters is a transformed man.

Yea, yea, yea. I've heard that before. I won't waste time going into details but people in prison are always 'transformed'.... and most of them return to be the fucking scumbag, murdering bastards the minute they get out.

If he's transformed, great. He can happily suffer the just penalty of his actions.

If he was truly transformed, he would understand the necessity to suffer the just penalty of his actions. It appears that he is not only a murderer but a damned good con artist as well.

Jarvis is the first one to acknowledge that. Jarvis was lost when he was first incarcerated. Without the Death Penalty sentencing, he would not have sought a spiritual answer. His karma led him to the dharma.

Buddhist practice and writing have changed Jarvis Masters profoundly.

Jarvis Masters is a transformed man.

Yea, yea, yea. I've heard that before. I won't waste time going into details but people in prison are always 'transformed'.... and most of them return to be the fucking scumbag, murdering bastards the minute they get out.

If he's transformed, great. He can happily suffer the just penalty of his actions.

If he was truly transformed, he would understand the necessity to suffer the just penalty of his actions. It appears that he is not only a murderer but a damned good con artist as well.

I am against the death penalty. LWOP would be a just penalty for his actions, not execution.

If Jarvis had rerceived decent legal representation, he would have never gotten the death penalty.

Actually if a person commits a crime they should accept and serve their time. I don't know about the case you speak of Skydancer, but yes sometimes innocent people do go to jail and serve time unjustly. We know this because DNA set many innocent people free after it was accepted science in courts across the country.

Some people can change, they still should serve the time given. That said, some people never get caught and still change. I know a few people who were former gang members here in this area and they have changed and are no longer in gangs and their life and the way they live it now is a testimony to the fact that people do change sometimes.

Thank you for having an actual conversation about this topic. You know Jarvis?

Yes, people can and do change.

No, I don't know Jarvis I know someone who was released after being in prison for 25 years for a crime he did not commit. He was cleared by DNA in Georgia. That said, I also know of a person who was in a gang and did some really bad things in his life and did not get caught ever...he changed. He woke up one day and decided that he didn't want to live that life anymore. Now he is helping me take baby steps to recover from an abusive relationship so that I can actually function in a normal relationship. That hardened gang member criminal is no longer a gang member or criminal, but a hardworking productive member of society and someone that has filled my life with hope and joy and taught me that you can leave an abuser and start over and find someone who is not an abuser. So personally I understand how much a person can change.

There is no statute of limitations on murder. If he was ever involved in one, his 'changed' status would not keep him out of prison.

I don't know when/if a person has changed. Thats why I asked.

But a better question is if we did somewhat know, how would we know if someone is faking change or not?

This just raises alot of questions.

(but I do like the civilized convo. POSITIVE REP 4 U! :D)

If you read Jarvis writings, you would know that this is a man, who is profoundly changed. I argue that it is a waste to kill Jarvis Masters. I oppose the death penalty, in principle and in practice, such as, in relation to this man, who I know.

Who gives a shit whether he's 'changed'? Only the manipulated fools who believe him.

My sympathy remains with his victims. He did the crime, he can do the time. If he gets executed, so much the better.

Your ridiculous thread title tells me all I need to know about your views.

Then why bother answering any of posts? You have no respect for my views. Do something else with your time.

Thank you for having an actual conversation about this topic. You know Jarvis?

Yes, people can and do change.

No, I don't know Jarvis I know someone who was released after being in prison for 25 years for a crime he did not commit. He was cleared by DNA in Georgia. That said, I also know of a person who was in a gang and did some really bad things in his life and did not get caught ever...he changed. He woke up one day and decided that he didn't want to live that life anymore. Now he is helping me take baby steps to recover from an abusive relationship so that I can actually function in a normal relationship. That hardened gang member criminal is no longer a gang member or criminal, but a hardworking productive member of society and someone that has filled my life with hope and joy and taught me that you can leave an abuser and start over and find someone who is not an abuser. So personally I understand how much a person can change.

There is no statute of limitations on murder. If he was ever involved in one, his 'changed' status would not keep him out of prison.

Not one of you is the slightest bit interested in learning about who this man is. Blood lust. It's creepy.

Jarvis is the first one to acknowledge that. Jarvis was lost when he was first incarcerated. Without the Death Penalty sentencing, he would not have sought a spiritual answer. His karma led him to the dharma.

Then he should be happy to meet his maker

I am against the death penalty. LWOP would be a just penalty for his actions, not execution.

If Jarvis had rerceived decent legal representation, he would have never gotten the death penalty.

Now that's the most delusional thing you have posted on this thread. If his legal defense was ineffective, that is grounds not only for appeal, but also for a lawsuit against the lawyer. But then appeal is mandatory in capital cases.

But since you are oh so convinced, please outline for us all the mistakes made by his attorneys.

Again, if he is so enlightened he should understand the rationale for his punishment and be willing to accept it.

Last edited:
Jarvis has written:

"Those who want to make sense of my life will see, through my writing, a human being who made mistakes. Maybe my writing will at least help them see me as someone who felt, loved, and cared, someone who wanted to know himself for who he was."

My eleventh grade Contemporary Composition students read selections from Finding Freedom in the spring and now again in the fall. I want to thank you again for helping my students find a reason to live and dedicate themselves to constructive living."

DB
Los Angeles, California

"Our University class is reading your book Finding Freedom. We wanted to tell you how inspiring your book is and encourage you to continue writing. You have brought new meaning to Shantideva's statement:

Whatever joy there is in this world
All comes from desiring others to be happy
And whatever suffering there is in this world
All comes from desiring myself to be happy."
VM
Hamilton, NY
"I was so touched by the way Jarvis's story touched my students that I am attaching a few of the representative essays in the hopes that other educators might see how powerful his work is in reaching out to students with no real experience of people in his situation."

CC
Tucson, AZ

"I am an English professor living and working in the Northeast, and I am teaching a class this semester whereby incarcerated and "outside" students take a class together as peers, conducted in a correctional facility. I knew that I wanted to start the course by reading your book Finding Freedom together, and I asked that their first "paper" be a letter to you… Please know how warmly we all wish you well, and how absolutely heartened and moved and educated and resonated-with everyone was by your vivid, illuminating book."

SD
Hadley, MA

I just discovered the web page for Jarvis and am relieved and grateful for his advocates. I am a teacher in Chicago who is using "Finding Freedom" in my English classes and have seen the lives of my students transformed because of his powerful message. I was looking for a way to contribute money to Jarvis's appeal campaign and have found it. Thank you.

Excerpts from 11th graders’ letters to Jarvis Masters after reading FINDING FREEDOM
From Bravo High School, Los Angeles, Ca. 2005
I want you to know that your book really helped me to appreciate life and not take it for granted. I’m not saying I know exactly what you went through, and I might not ever, but the way you describe your stories makes me not want to ever go through that.
--D.B.Thank you for teaching me important morals and helping me understand the value of life.
--S.P.

Your faith and your actions serve to inspire others. Every member of my class was deeply touched by your work. Your honesty has helped open my eyes and given me a new hope in the faith of the human spirit. Your bravery under such daunting conditions is awe-inspiring. After reading your stories I have realized that one can never give up and that life is definitely worth living. Your work and your honesty mean a great deal to me. . I believe that you are an example of a person who has undergone adverse conditions and still remains hopeful that truth and innocence will prevail. It is your thoughts that have given me a newfound hope in humanity.
--A.R.

Your book really pushed me to care about other people more than to always care about only myself.
--Z.S.

Finding Freedom should be on every 11th grade class priority reading list. I admire your motivation and dedication. Those essential qualities are what make you the strong and faithful individual that many seek to become.
– J.V.

Thank you for your inspiration. Because of you I learned that life has its ups and downs and no matter what an individual should have strength, hope in himself and others as well.
--C.P.

You have no idea what your stories mean to us. Your passages really touched my heart and my soul. I could keep on reading them for a long time. I’m not that type of person that enjoys reading, but I really enjoyed reading your work. Have faith in the Man up stairs because he knows right from wrong.
--V.R.

You have become such a positive person in San Quentin and around the world. You have made such an impact in my life by knowing what you’ve been through and still finding a way to give life to others and giving all of us hope in succeeding in life. I thank you.
--E.P.

Your book encouraged me to stay away from violence so I won’t end up in prison. Like yourself, I grew up with no father. I’ve sometimes thought no one loved nor cared about me, and it was hard to move on. You sound as if you take your experiences well. So I would like to thank you for the encouragement you spread not only to me and people across the States, but in my class. Hopefully, your words planted a seed in everyone, because it definitely did for me.
--M.B.

The story I found most affective was “A Reason To Live.” I loved the fact that you helped keep Alex from committing suicide. Through your technique, I found that life is important and very valuable. I hope one day you will be released into the world. Again.
--V.P.

This book has been such an inspiration because it taught me about myself. I should not take life for granted and be the best person I can be. Stay healthy and strong because good things happen to good people.
--J.M.

Thank you for showing me what matters most, thank you for giving me so much reason to love my life and the ones around me. You are truly a man with enough will, heart, and passion to touch millions. I hope you find all the things in your life that matter most.
--J.C.

I fear the thought of ending up in prison and I savor the security I have. How can you deal with such intense drama? The qualities which you possess are unparalleled.
--B.J.

I know it should not matter to me if someone I do not know at all is killed or not but my dad is in prison too, and I would not want no one to kill him in there. Thank you.
--D.M.

I got diagnosed diabetic at a very young age. Sometimes I see life in a very dark way. For me, it hasn’t been easy and sometimes I wish I was dead. From reading your stories I have learned to see life in a more positive way. Life is hard but we have to make the best out of it and bringing ourselves down is not going to take us anywhere. What advice would you give me about the way I feel about life? I would really appreciate if you took some time and gave me some advice about how to deal with life and not see it so negative.
--M.S.

I have learned to treat people equally and with more respect. You continue to inspire as well as remind others of the importance of respect for one another.
--A.T.

I want you to know that your book is read by many people and changes people’s ideas.
--D.R.

http://freejarvis.org/book/book_educators.html

Last edited:

But as posted by none other Sky Dancer on another thread, Buddhism has left you angry and rageful. How do we know that Buddhism has not created a bigger monster than the one he was when he was convicted?

My eleventh grade Contemporary Composition students read selections from Finding Freedom in the spring and now again in the fall. I want to thank you again for helping my students find a reason to live and dedicate themselves to constructive living."

DB
Los Angeles, California

"Our University class is reading your book Finding Freedom. We wanted to tell you how inspiring your book is and encourage you to continue writing. You have brought new meaning to Shantideva's statement:

Whatever joy there is in this world
All comes from desiring others to be happy
And whatever suffering there is in this world
All comes from desiring myself to be happy."
VM
Hamilton, NY
"I was so touched by the way Jarvis's story touched my students that I am attaching a few of the representative essays in the hopes that other educators might see how powerful his work is in reaching out to students with no real experience of people in his situation."

CC
Tucson, AZ

"I am an English professor living and working in the Northeast, and I am teaching a class this semester whereby incarcerated and "outside" students take a class together as peers, conducted in a correctional facility. I knew that I wanted to start the course by reading your book Finding Freedom together, and I asked that their first "paper" be a letter to you… Please know how warmly we all wish you well, and how absolutely heartened and moved and educated and resonated-with everyone was by your vivid, illuminating book."

SD
Hadley, MA

I just discovered the web page for Jarvis and am relieved and grateful for his advocates. I am a teacher in Chicago who is using "Finding Freedom" in my English classes and have seen the lives of my students transformed because of his powerful message. I was looking for a way to contribute money to Jarvis's appeal campaign and have found it. Thank you.

Excerpts from 11th graders’ letters to Jarvis Masters after reading FINDING FREEDOM
From Bravo High School, Los Angeles, Ca. 2005
I want you to know that your book really helped me to appreciate life and not take it for granted. I’m not saying I know exactly what you went through, and I might not ever, but the way you describe your stories makes me not want to ever go through that.
--D.B.Thank you for teaching me important morals and helping me understand the value of life.
--S.P.

Your faith and your actions serve to inspire others. Every member of my class was deeply touched by your work. Your honesty has helped open my eyes and given me a new hope in the faith of the human spirit. Your bravery under such daunting conditions is awe-inspiring. After reading your stories I have realized that one can never give up and that life is definitely worth living. Your work and your honesty mean a great deal to me. . I believe that you are an example of a person who has undergone adverse conditions and still remains hopeful that truth and innocence will prevail. It is your thoughts that have given me a newfound hope in humanity.
--A.R.

Your book really pushed me to care about other people more than to always care about only myself.
--Z.S.

Finding Freedom should be on every 11th grade class priority reading list. I admire your motivation and dedication. Those essential qualities are what make you the strong and faithful individual that many seek to become.
– J.V.

Thank you for your inspiration. Because of you I learned that life has its ups and downs and no matter what an individual should have strength, hope in himself and others as well.
--C.P.

You have no idea what your stories mean to us. Your passages really touched my heart and my soul. I could keep on reading them for a long time. I’m not that type of person that enjoys reading, but I really enjoyed reading your work. Have faith in the Man up stairs because he knows right from wrong.
--V.R.

You have become such a positive person in San Quentin and around the world. You have made such an impact in my life by knowing what you’ve been through and still finding a way to give life to others and giving all of us hope in succeeding in life. I thank you.
--E.P.

Your book encouraged me to stay away from violence so I won’t end up in prison. Like yourself, I grew up with no father. I’ve sometimes thought no one loved nor cared about me, and it was hard to move on. You sound as if you take your experiences well. So I would like to thank you for the encouragement you spread not only to me and people across the States, but in my class. Hopefully, your words planted a seed in everyone, because it definitely did for me.
--M.B.

The story I found most affective was “A Reason To Live.” I loved the fact that you helped keep Alex from committing suicide. Through your technique, I found that life is important and very valuable. I hope one day you will be released into the world. Again.
--V.P.

This book has been such an inspiration because it taught me about myself. I should not take life for granted and be the best person I can be. Stay healthy and strong because good things happen to good people.
--J.M.

Thank you for showing me what matters most, thank you for giving me so much reason to love my life and the ones around me. You are truly a man with enough will, heart, and passion to touch millions. I hope you find all the things in your life that matter most.
--J.C.

I fear the thought of ending up in prison and I savor the security I have. How can you deal with such intense drama? The qualities which you possess are unparalleled.
--B.J.

I know it should not matter to me if someone I do not know at all is killed or not but my dad is in prison too, and I would not want no one to kill him in there. Thank you.
--D.M.

I got diagnosed diabetic at a very young age. Sometimes I see life in a very dark way. For me, it hasn’t been easy and sometimes I wish I was dead. From reading your stories I have learned to see life in a more positive way. Life is hard but we have to make the best out of it and bringing ourselves down is not going to take us anywhere. What advice would you give me about the way I feel about life? I would really appreciate if you took some time and gave me some advice about how to deal with life and not see it so negative.
--M.S.

I have learned to treat people equally and with more respect. You continue to inspire as well as remind others of the importance of respect for one another.
--A.T.

I want you to know that your book is read by many people and changes people’s ideas.
--D.R.

I think it is unethical of you to involve your high school students in your campaign.

But as posted by none other Sky Dancer on another thread, Buddhism has left you angry and rageful. How do we know that Buddhism has not created a bigger monster than the one he was when he was convicted?

My personal story is irrelevant to this thread. The only story I'd like to tell in this thread, is one where Jarvis helped a severely disabled woman I know with end stage MS, to write a children's book before she died.

Forum List

Back