Prison: A Waste of Human Life

Prisons should be reserved purely for violent offenders only. All others should be allowed to work off their sentences in other ways unless they are MAJOR white collar criminals like Madoff etc.

That being said, just because they may have repented their crimes and their way of life doesn't negate the harm they have caused others. For those on death row you must remember they did KILL someone! Any convicted murderer should serve a very long mandatory sentence (40+ years) and be executed in certain extreme cases.

Jarvis Masters didn't kill anyone, yet he is on death row. Our justice system is not infallible. As long as mistakes can be made, we should not be executing anyone.
tell it to the family of the man he assisted in murdering !!...........WHAT ABOUT INNOCENT CHILDREN ?? LEFT LOONS LIKE YOU HAVE ENABLED THE SLAUGHTER OF MILLIONS OF UNBORN CHILDREN !! AND THEN YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO CRY FOUL WHEN A MURDERER IS KILLED !!...........HYPOCRISY !!!

Last edited:
The death penalty is much more expensive than life without parole because the Constitution requires a long and complex judicial process for capital cases. This process is needed in order to ensure that innocent men and woman are not executed for crimes they did not commit, and even with these protections the risk of executing an innocent person can not be completely eliminated.

If the death penalty was replaced with a sentence of Life Without the Possibility of Parole*, which costs millions less and also ensures that the public is protected while eliminating the risk of an irreversible mistake, the money saved could be spent on programs that actually improve the communities in which we live.
Death Penalty*:*The High Cost of the Death Penalty

But you are advocating releasing convicted murderers because you personally believe they've changed. You also believed you should let your dog live on in pain rather than humanely euthanizing him. Your judgement is suspect.

her judgement is nonexistent

Yes, I am. Have fun at my expense. You don't have long. I'm about to be banned.

Suicide by mod, again? Will this be your third or have you engaged in this more than just the ones that I'm aware of?

she's got a better chance of winning the lottery

just sayin
:eusa_whistle:

Come on, del. give her what she wants.

Only you can do that voodoo, that you do, so well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr5KyLzFdgI]Criminal Pledge to Hedley Lamarr - Blazing Saddles - YouTube[/ame]

Both men I currently write to were in gangs as kids and that's how they got in trouble. Both are changed men. IMO, it is a waste of tax payer dollars to keep them in prison. They could be working, benefiting society and paying taxes.

Jarvis is an exceptional man.
So you believe them based on what they tell you in letters? Now I understand. Sounds like they are using you. Also bet they are guilty as sin.

People in prison are human beings. Human beings have the capacity to change.

Who should make the decision about when an offender with a history of violence has "changed" enough to be released from prison?

In your worldview, do the rights of prisoners to be free outweigh the rights of innocent people in the community to be safe?

When they are released does not change and should not change, with any personal changes in the prisoner.

People in prison are human beings. Human beings have the capacity to change.

This is true, but how do we know if they have changed?

Why don't you answer that question for yourself. How do you know when another person has changed?

I don't know when/if a person has changed. Thats why I asked.

But a better question is if we did somewhat know, how would we know if someone is faking change or not?

This just raises alot of questions.

(but I do like the civilized convo. POSITIVE REP 4 U! :D)

Actually if a person commits a crime they should accept and serve their time. I don't know about the case you speak of Skydancer, but yes sometimes innocent people do go to jail and serve time unjustly. We know this because DNA set many innocent people free after it was accepted science in courts across the country.

Some people can change, they still should serve the time given. That said, some people never get caught and still change. I know a few people who were former gang members here in this area and they have changed and are no longer in gangs and their life and the way they live it now is a testimony to the fact that people do change sometimes.

Thank you for having an actual conversation about this topic. You know Jarvis?

Yes, people can and do change.

No, I don't know Jarvis I know someone who was released after being in prison for 25 years for a crime he did not commit. He was cleared by DNA in Georgia. That said, I also know of a person who was in a gang and did some really bad things in his life and did not get caught ever...he changed. He woke up one day and decided that he didn't want to live that life anymore. Now he is helping me take baby steps to recover from an abusive relationship so that I can actually function in a normal relationship. That hardened gang member criminal is no longer a gang member or criminal, but a hardworking productive member of society and someone that has filled my life with hope and joy and taught me that you can leave an abuser and start over and find someone who is not an abuser. So personally I understand how much a person can change.

Jarvis Masters is an extraordinary human being. Whether he is ever released from prison or not, he benefits others.

Executing him is wrong.
"Extraordinary" human beings don't conspire to kill innocent human beings who are just doing their jobs......That guard may still be going home every night to his family if it hadn't been for that scumbag piece o' shit, who deserves to have the needle plunged forthwit. Put his ass to sleep, and then kill him, dead as a door nail.

Charlie Manson "supposedly" didn't participate in the "Tate" or "Labianca" murders.....I suppose he's just this "EXTRAORDINARY" human being also.

Last edited:
At the time, he was mean enough to do it, willing to do it, but he didn't do it. Further, the two men who actually did the stabbing of the prison guard got LWOP, and Jarvis got life.

He isn't a "rabid animal". He is a completely peaceful and transformed individual whose life is valuable to many others, whether he is ever released or not.

You don't know much about this man, I do.

You "know" what he is willing to tell you and what you are willing to believe. The truth is no doubt far different.

I know a great deal more about him than he has told me himself.
So, what do you know about the family of the man he helped SLAUGHTER like a pig?

Did your Buddhist "family" reach out to them?

Oh wait, I know a lil' bit about that cult. They only reach out to their own. Never mind.:eusa_hand:

This is true, but how do we know if they have changed?

Why don't you answer that question for yourself. How do you know when another person has changed?

But a better question is if we did somewhat know, how would we know if someone is faking change or not?

If you read Jarvis writings, you would know that this is a man, who is profoundly changed. I argue that it is a waste to kill Jarvis Masters. I oppose the death penalty, in principle and in practice, such as, in relation to this man, who I know.

Last edited:
Masters was accused of sharpening the piece of metal that was used in the murder. Masters was on the fourth tier at the time of the murder. Of the three men, only Jarvis was given the death penalty. The other two were given sentences of life without parole. Jarvis Masters has been on death row since 1990.

The only thing I see wrong with this is the actual person that did the stabbing didn't get death row but this man did..for sharpening the knife. I agree that sharpening the knife is actually participating in the murder whether Sky you want to accept that or not that is what the law says...he participated he is subject to the death penalty and that is what he received, though it should be converted to life because the actual murderer did not receive at the very least death himself.

First of all, I'd prefer to get back on topic. My personal life is not relevant.

Jarvis Masters is not guilty of the crime for which he recieved the death penalty. I oppose capitial punishment.

I think prison is a waste of human life.

I think people who kill other people are a waste of human life.

Come back and talk to me when you've stood beside the body of a loved one who's dead because some other fucking POS scum 'had a bad fucking day'.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Jarvis didn't kill anyone.

I do not want or need your sympathy or pity. I want justice for the death of a loved one. When you've lived through it, come back and tell me that 'prison is a waste of human life'. Because, to me, a 'waste of human life' are the lives of those who are taken, not those who take.

He may not have stuck the knife in, he may not have sharpened the shank, but he knew about it and did nothing to stop it. Fuck him. He deserves what he gets. And I don't give a shit how 'talented' he may be. I don't give a shit that he has shills to cry for him. My sympathy remains with the victims and their families.... not the worthless scrum who destroy the lives of others.

Last edited:

If you read Jarvis writings, you would know that this is a man, who is profoundly changed. I argue that it is a waste to kill Jarvis Masters. I oppose the death penalty, in principle and in practice, such as, in relation to this man, who I know.

Who gives a shit whether he's 'changed'? Only the manipulated fools who believe him.

My sympathy remains with his victims. He did the crime, he can do the time. If he gets executed, so much the better.

Your ridiculous thread title tells me all I need to know about your views.

Forum List

Back