Progress: A Hundred Years

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. Woodrow Wilson, our first Progressive President, made no secret of his desires to 'fundamentally change America.'

2. First of all, there is that pesky Constitution:
"Justly revered as our great Constitution is, it could be stripped off and thrown aside like a garment, and the nation would still stand forth in the living vestment of flesh and sinew, warm with the heart-blood of one people, ready to recreate constitutions and laws. … Woodrow Wilson [Woodrow Wilson
"The Modern Democratic State" (1885; first published in 1966)
The Papers of Woodrow Wilson, Volume 5]

3. Then, there is his major objection, separation of powers.
He rejected the principles of “separation of powers” and “checks and balances” that are the foundation of American government: “Government does now whatever experience permits or the times demand….”

4. In his 1890 essay, “Leaders of Men,” Wilson explained “No doubt a lot of nonsense has been talked about the inalienable rights of the individual, and a great deal that was mere sentiment and pleasing speculation has been put forward as fundamental principle,” wrote Wilson, attacking the very individual rights that have made America great.
Progressives love the people, hate the person.

5. One often hears that Liberals and Progressives yearn for the US government to be more like that of Western European nations. Here's why:

In May of 1953, with the Labor Party in power in England, and Clement Atlee, Prime Minister, and while addressing the House of Commons, attacked the United Stated Constitution. (He was quickly denounced by Senator McCarthy,) Atlee claimed the Constitution was "framed for an isolationist state," and that he had contempt for the separation of powers, and insinuated that President Eisenhower could not speak with authority, because of the constitutional prerogatives of the US Senate. "One sometimes wonders who is more powerful, the President
or Senator McCarthy," Attlee remarked."
Manly, "The Twenty Year Revolution," p. 25

6. Let's see what the last century has given us:

a. Obama, on the Constitution: "I am constrained as they are constrained by the system that our founders put in place."
Obama: Constitution 'Constrains' Me - Ben Shapiro - Page full

b. And, it seems that this constitutional law instructor has decided on how he will handle the problem of the Constitution:
"President Obama "quipped" today during a visit to Monticello with the French president, "That's the good thing about being president, I can do whatever I want."
Obama: 'I Can Do Whatever I Want' | The Weekly Standard

7. "...Jonathan Turley, a liberal law professor at George Washington University and supporter of the Affordable Care Act, to tell the House Judiciary Committee at a Dec. 3 hearing, titled "The President's Constitutional Duty to Faithfully Execute the Laws," that Obama's abuse of executive power has grown to the point that "he's becoming the very danger the Constitution was designed to avoid."
Doug Ross @ Journal: Obama is the President the Constitution Was Designed to Prevent

So....where are the Liberal voices raised against this tyrant???

Last edited:
Turn off FOX News and read the USAPATRIOT Act, then say that Republicans respect the US Constitution.

Turn off FOX News and read the USAPATRIOT Act, then say that Republicans respect the US Constitution.

No question that the "Patriot Act" has unconstitutional provisions.

Since Bush is no longer president (had you failed to notice?)....
And since Congress is no longer exclusively Republican....

The the question arises as to why Your New Messiah and His Democrat-dominated Senate has not done JACK SHIT to fix that situation. I mean, not even a single magical Executive Order to uphold the constitution as might have been promised on a black covered book that may or may not have been an actual Bible.

Gee, why haven't Obama and the Democrats been able to get anything done? What with the 40-something different Republican votes to defund Obamacare and their primary goal of making Obama a one-term President. There's also the multitrillion-dollar failed war on terra that Bush started with no plan or intention of finishing.

We're still dealing with Nixon's stupid fucking drug war, so don't pull that bullshit about "Bush isn't the President anymore." Kids born in the new millennium are now teenagers and have spent their entire lives with the US at war, thanks to George W. Bush. Do you even know who you're fighting anymore?

Gee, why haven't Obama and the Democrats been able to get anything done?

An interesting question.

He seems to do most thing He wishes by just waving his magic pen/smartfone combination utility toll and issuing all-powerful executive orders. Has His technology suddenly failed Him?

If so, will its creators be jailed or merely executed?

The the question arises as to why Your New Messiah and His Democrat-dominated Senate has not done JACK SHIT to fix that situation. I mean, not even a single magical Executive Order to uphold the constitution as might have been promised on a black covered book that may or may not have been an actual Bible.

Do you not notice you are in a thread about Woodrow Wilson or what?

Did you believe ( I almost said 'think') that the OP mentioned Republicans?

There is a medication you can take for your A.D.D.

Speak to your doctor to see if it is right for you.

Now, be careful....if this is the first time you've tried to think you could wind up with an aneurysm!

Actually, you're the one who failed to understand who and what the thread skewers.

But, that's fairly common with you.

did you notice what he was quoting/responding to or what?

did you notice what he was quoting/responding to or what?

Yes whats your point? I bet there isnt one

Its funny how liberals try to hijack a thread on Wilson and talk about bush jr. A president roughly a 100 year's later.

Its funny how liberals try to hijack a thread on Wilson and talk about bush jr. A president roughly a 100 year's later.

Its even funnier that you guys keep saying Bush isnt president like thats a reason to not talk about him then proceed to talk about Woodrow freaking Wilson and not feel shame wash over you

Its even funnier that you guys keep saying Bush isnt president like thats a reason to not talk about him then proceed to talk about Woodrow freaking Wilson and not feel shame wash over you

And where in her op did she mention Bush? Focus on the topic

7. "...Jonathan Turley, a liberal law professor at George Washington University and supporter of the Affordable Care Act, to tell the House Judiciary Committee at a Dec. 3 hearing, titled "The President's Constitutional Duty to Faithfully Execute the Laws," that*Obama's abuse of executive power has grown to the point that "he's becoming the very danger the Constitution was designed to avoid."
Yea even the supreme' are finally questioning his power grab.

4. In his 1890 essay, “Leaders of Men,” Wilson explained “No doubt a lot of nonsense has been talked about the inalienable rights of the individual, and a great deal that was mere sentiment and pleasing speculation has been put forward as fundamental principle,” wrote Wilson, attacking the very individual rights that have made America great.
Progressives love the people, hate the person.

I strongly urge you, in the most vehement terms possible, to read Wilson's speech in its full context so that you may see just how unmitigatingly idiotic your conclusion about what he meant is.

Last edited:

Turn off MSNBC then say Obama has any respect for the Constitution. Hey DOOFUS, he extended the Patriot Act.

Oy. Angels and ministers of grace defend us!

Do you know how many Republicans voted for the Patriot Act, and its renewal?

Do you care?

Forum List

Back