Progressives Killed Eric Garner

Higher tax rate creates black market for cigarettes

2rqn3w6.jpg

Oops...
Gee that in no way refutes anything I wrote.
Next.
It totally refutes your claim that cigarette taxes are a progressive thing which leads to smuggling cigarettes, and therefore progressives killed Garner.

Raising cigarette taxes is a bipartisan thing which has caused smuggling to skyrocket in blue AND RED states. Sorry about that. You should have checked before echoing some idiot partisan hack you heard on the radio or TV.

That's what critical thinking is. You hear some hack say "cigarette taxes are a favorite of progressives", and you ask yourself, "Gee, I wonder if any red states have increased their cigarette taxes".

If you had done that, you would have found out the guy in your avatar raised cigarettes taxes so high that smuggling has skyrocketed in his state and you wouldn't have embarrassed yourself.

You would have found out the hack whose piss you drank was full of shit instead of just running to start a topic confirming you are a credulous parroting idiot.
There are leftists in red states too and they often get their way because they control the large cities. It's Leftists who support these taxes no matter what state it's in.
Floriduh is totally controlled by Republicans. The ciggie tax is a state tax.

Nice fail on your part.

That is totally bullshit of course.
Nope. We have a Republican governor and have had for years. And the Floriduh legislature has been controlled by Republicans for as long as I can remember.

Next.
It totally refutes your claim that cigarette taxes are a progressive thing which leads to smuggling cigarettes, and therefore progressives killed Garner.

Raising cigarette taxes is a bipartisan thing which has caused smuggling to skyrocket in blue AND RED states. Sorry about that. You should have checked before echoing some idiot partisan hack you heard on the radio or TV.

That's what critical thinking is. You hear some hack say "cigarette taxes are a favorite of progressives", and you ask yourself, "Gee, I wonder if any red states have increased their cigarette taxes".

If you had done that, you would have found out the guy in your avatar raised cigarettes taxes so high that smuggling has skyrocketed in his state and you wouldn't have embarrassed yourself.

You would have found out the hack whose piss you drank was full of shit instead of just running to start a topic confirming you are a credulous parroting idiot.
There are leftists in red states too and they often get their way because they control the large cities. It's Leftists who support these taxes no matter what state it's in.

Nice fail on your part.

Uh, the Feds also layer on a cigarette tax, bubette.

Nope. We have a Republican governor and have had for years. And the Floriduh legislature has been controlled by Republicans for as long as I can remember.

Again, it's immaterial about the ciggie taxes. The cops had no right to mishandle this man and should all be fired.

Next.

Nice fail on your part.

Bush is a Leftist and this thread is arguing that the high tax Left is responsible for Eric Gardner's death. So what point are you trying to make?

I'm googling the votes that pass cigarette taxes and without exception it's always a majority Democrat vote. Are the Leftists on this thread telling lies again?
Name one truth the leftists ever told.
Still trying to figure out what side you're on.
I'm on the side of liberty.
So am I.
maybe that's why we are in 100% agreement...

Again, it's immaterial about the ciggie taxes. The cops had no right to mishandle this man and should all be fired.

Then you should be a strong advocate of downsizing the scope of government. Far too many petty laws and regulations are classified as crimes if one violates them, which then triggers police force. And many of these are for things for which the government has no business in playing Nanny, but does so anyway and elevates to criminal status.

Excerpts from an excellent piece on The Right Not To Be Punished:

On the opening day of law school, I always counsel my first-year students never to support a law they are not willing to kill to enforce. Usually they greet this advice with something between skepticism and puzzlement, until I remind them that the police go armed to enforce the will of the state, and if you resist, they might kill you.

(snip)

Husak suggests as one solution interpreting the Constitution to include a right not to be punished. This in turn would mean that before a legislature could criminalize a particular behavior, it would have to show a public interest significantly higher than for most forms of legislation.

He offers the example of a legislature that decides “to prohibit -- on pain of criminal liability -- the consumption of designated unhealthy foods such as doughnuts.” The “rational basis test” usually applied by courts when statutes face constitutional challenge would be easily met. In short, under existing doctrine, the statute would be a permissible exercise of the police power. But if there existed a constitutional right not to be punished, the statute would have to face a higher level of judicial scrutiny, and might well be struck down -- not because of a right to eat unhealthy foods, but because of a right not to be criminally punished by the state except in matters of great importance.

Of course, activists on the right and the left tend to believe that all of their causes are of great importance. Whatever they want to ban or require, they seem unalterably persuaded that the use of state power is appropriate.

That’s too bad. Every new law requires enforcement; every act of enforcement includes the possibility of violence. There are many painful lessons to be drawn from the Garner tragedy, but one of them, sadly, is the same as the advice I give my students on the first day of classes: Don’t ever fight to make something illegal unless you’re willing to risk the lives of your fellow citizens to get your way.

Law Puts Us All in Same Danger as Eric Garner - Bloomberg View

You mean like when the feds raised ciggie taxes under St. Ronnie, Dicca?

:lol:

RavingLoon,

I don't recall Ronnie making selling loose cigarettes a crime. Obama did that in 2010.

Sincereley,

boe

P.S. I must note a distinction between simply enacting a tax, and making non-compliance a Criminal Offense. When not paying a tax is a civil matter, one is fined and faces asset forfeiture. When it is a crime, the police can use deadly force. Everything should not be labelled A Crime.

Last edited:
I'm googling the votes that pass cigarette taxes and without exception it's always a majority Democrat vote. Are the Leftists on this thread telling lies again?
Name one truth the leftists ever told.
Still trying to figure out what side you're on.
I'm on the side of liberty.
So am I.
maybe that's why we are in 100% agreement...
Yes, with some badinage sprinkled in.

Nice fail on your part.

Bush is a Leftist and this thread is arguing that the high tax Left is responsible for Eric Gardner's death. So what point are you trying to make?
Hello? Dubya has never been in office in Floriduh.

I see you are another nutter that claims someone is a leftist if it suits your stupid argument.

Dismissed.

Then you should be a strong advocate of downsizing the scope of government. Far too many petty laws and regulations are classified as crimes if one violates them, which then triggers police force. And many of these are for things for which the government has no business in playing Nanny, but does so anyway and elevates to criminal status.

Excerpts from an excellent piece on The Right Not To Be Punished:

On the opening day of law school, I always counsel my first-year students never to support a law they are not willing to kill to enforce. Usually they greet this advice with something between skepticism and puzzlement, until I remind them that the police go armed to enforce the will of the state, and if you resist, they might kill you.

(snip)

Husak suggests as one solution interpreting the Constitution to include a right not to be punished. This in turn would mean that before a legislature could criminalize a particular behavior, it would have to show a public interest significantly higher than for most forms of legislation.

He offers the example of a legislature that decides “to prohibit -- on pain of criminal liability -- the consumption of designated unhealthy foods such as doughnuts.” The “rational basis test” usually applied by courts when statutes face constitutional challenge would be easily met. In short, under existing doctrine, the statute would be a permissible exercise of the police power. But if there existed a constitutional right not to be punished, the statute would have to face a higher level of judicial scrutiny, and might well be struck down -- not because of a right to eat unhealthy foods, but because of a right not to be criminally punished by the state except in matters of great importance.

Of course, activists on the right and the left tend to believe that all of their causes are of great importance. Whatever they want to ban or require, they seem unalterably persuaded that the use of state power is appropriate.

That’s too bad. Every new law requires enforcement; every act of enforcement includes the possibility of violence. There are many painful lessons to be drawn from the Garner tragedy, but one of them, sadly, is the same as the advice I give my students on the first day of classes: Don’t ever fight to make something illegal unless you’re willing to risk the lives of your fellow citizens to get your way.

Law Puts Us All in Same Danger as Eric Garner - Bloomberg View
I live in a Red state. I am against nanny state laws. We have nanny state laws here.

But I don't care how many stupid laws you all bring up. THE COPS DID NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO TOUCH THIS MAN PERIOD.

Next.

Nice fail on your part.

Doesn't mean you they aren't progressives. You do know what there are liberal Republicans, right? Especially at the state and local level?

Forum List

Back