Progressives Killed Eric Garner

It's true.
What was the "root cause" of police approaching Garner? He was illegally selling untaxed cigarettes.
Now, NY has raised taxes on cigarettes, a favored progressive cause, to unbelievable levels. And of course that invites activity to skirt the tax in any way. The simplest is to load up a van in NC, where the tax is low, drive the cigs to NY, where the tax is high, and sell them. They are like arbitragers.
Garner was simply responding to incentives put out by progressives and their insane tax policies and selling cigs to earn a living. But the result was an unforutnate encounter and his death. Better tax policies in NY would have left this man alive.

I believe you killed him.......makes as much sense.
Was I on the scene? Did I institute a tax that invited non compliance?
No and no.
You fail. Again.

If you had been he probably would have opted for suicide rather than be subjected to one of your boring lectures.

if his lectures are so boring that they inspire suicide, then why are you voluntarily reading them and how are you still alive?

Cigarette taxes are not just a progressive thing. Anyone who thinks so is willfully blind. It's a favorite revenue raiser for almost all of the states.

It's right up there with the lottery.
And it is immaterial. If taxes on cigs were triple that it does not mean that the cops can strangle someone over it.

It's true.
What was the "root cause" of police approaching Garner? He was illegally selling untaxed cigarettes.
Now, NY has raised taxes on cigarettes, a favored progressive cause, to unbelievable levels. And of course that invites activity to skirt the tax in any way. The simplest is to load up a van in NC, where the tax is low, drive the cigs to NY, where the tax is high, and sell them. They are like arbitragers.
Garner was simply responding to incentives put out by progressives and their insane tax policies and selling cigs to earn a living. But the result was an unforutnate encounter and his death. Better tax policies in NY would have left this man alive.
I'm not going to read through all these pages. I take those on the right agree, and those on the left disagree.
Truth is high taxes will always create a black market. Look what Prohibition caused. It created the mob, liquor tax created nascar.
War on drugs created black prison over population
Gun control creates Columbine and Sandy Hook

New Yorks state & city tax combined is TWICE as high as the cost (tax included)of a pack of cigarettes here.

That is just insane.

welcome to the black market

you know the tax is steep

if the guy was selling singles for .75 a piece

prison price is only a buck a stick

--LOL

lol, what was the tax rate on those cigars that Michael Brown stole?

His tobacco related theft was the crime of the century, remember?
Assaulting a police officer is the crime that got him killed, moron
Where in the video do you see a police officer being assaulted?

Repeat after me: MICHAEL BROWN. MICHAEL BROWN. MICHAEL BROWN.
Used to be Benghazi, Benghazi, Benghazi. What happened to that republican battle cry?
The media leads all of us around by the nose and tells us what we should talk about.

Why do you ask?

Cigarette taxes are not just a progressive thing. Anyone who thinks so is willfully blind. It's a favorite revenue raiser for almost all of the states.

It's right up there with the lottery.
And it is immaterial. If taxes on cigs were triple that it does not mean that the cops can strangle someone over it.
He died from a heart attack.

The cause of death was a heart attack.

The city medical examiners concluded that Garner was killed by neck compression from the apparent chokehold, along with “the compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police”

Cigarette Taxes on the Increase in Texas
“Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) has signed legislation to increase the state's cigarette tax by $1 per pack effective January 1, 2007. The tax is currently 41 cents per pack.

He damned near quadrupled cigarette taxes!

2rqn3w6.jpg

Oops...
NYCs is like 4 times that amount.
Oops.
You own words were that cigarette taxes are "a favored progressive cause".

Oops...
Indeed they are. NOthing you've posted has disproven that. The opposite. You have yet to post one example of a red state with cig taxes as high as NYC. Go ahead. We'll wait.

A poor attempt to move the goalposts on your part. :badgrin:

Your point was that cigarette taxes are a progressive thing, and that Garner was bootlegging cigarettes because of cigarette taxes, and that it got him killed.

So I irrefutably proved that even red states raise taxes to the point that cigarettes are bootlegged. Even the state of the guy in your avatar.

You got pwned, dude. Sorry about that.

Cigarette Taxes on the Increase in Texas
“Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) has signed legislation to increase the state's cigarette tax by $1 per pack effective January 1, 2007. The tax is currently 41 cents per pack.

He damned near quadrupled cigarette taxes!

2rqn3w6.jpg

Oops...
NYCs is like 4 times that amount.
Oops.
You own words were that cigarette taxes are "a favored progressive cause".

Oops...
Indeed they are. NOthing you've posted has disproven that. The opposite. You have yet to post one example of a red state with cig taxes as high as NYC. Go ahead. We'll wait.

A poor attempt to move the goalposts on your part. :badgrin:

Your point was that cigarette taxes are a progressive thing, and that Garner was bootlegging cigarettes because of cigarette taxes, and that it got him killed.

So I irrefutably proved that even red states raise taxes to the point that cigarettes are bootlegged. Even the state of the guy in your avatar.

You got pwned, dude. Sorry about that.
I know for sure someone has lost the debate when he has to post how he won.
No, you didnt pwn anyone except yourself.
Taxes in TX are 1/5th of what they are NYC. Bootlegging is nowhere near what it is in NYC.
Again, smart people look at two similar things and see differences
Stupid people look at them and see similarities.

You gonna commit suicide by cop?

When Liberal Democrats gain enough control of society/Government to ban firearms I will die in a pile of brass, when they come for my guns and spend the rest of Eternity in Valhalla.
I prefer to survive surrounded by piles of hand-grenade pins.

Last edited:
The tax debate is a red herring. Taxes are paid when the carton or pack of cig's are purchased. The governments have already gotten their cut when the individual opens the pack and decides to sell singles or a few at a time. So why is it against the law to sell a legal product? The answer is sinister and exposes a corruption between the tobacco industry and government. Tobacco is addicting and the cig manufacturers insist on selling boxes of them that contain 20 individual cig's. They know that addicts will smoke them up a a higher rate if they have so many available. It even encourages "chain smoking".
If there is a need for access to single or a few cig's per sale, why does the industry not produce products with single of lower numbers of cig's? The answer is simple. Pack a day smokers would turn into half pack a day smokers and many smokers might turn into quarter pack a day smokers. Many would find themselves weaning themselves off tobacco.

You gonna commit suicide by cop?

When Liberal Democrats gain enough control of society/Government to ban firearms I will die in a pile of brass, when they come for my guns and spend the rest of Eternity in Valhalla.
I prefer to survive surrounded by pile of hand-grenade pins.

When you pull the pin from the hand grenade don't forget which one you're supposed to throw.

That goes without saying.

Higher tax rate creates black market for cigarettes

The tax rate on cigarettes is so high in Texas that it is sparking a huge draw for illegal cigarettes creating a new kind of organized crime, according to experts.

2rqn3w6.jpg

Oops...
Gee that in no way refutes anything I wrote.
Next.
It totally refutes your claim that cigarette taxes are a progressive thing which leads to smuggling cigarettes, and therefore progressives killed Garner.

Raising cigarette taxes is a bipartisan thing which has caused smuggling to skyrocket in blue AND RED states. Sorry about that. You should have checked before echoing some idiot partisan hack you heard on the radio or TV.

That's what critical thinking is. You hear some hack say "cigarette taxes are a favorite of progressives", and you ask yourself, "Gee, I wonder if any red states have increased their cigarette taxes".

If you had done that, you would have found out the guy in your avatar raised cigarettes taxes so high that smuggling has skyrocketed in his state and you wouldn't have embarrassed yourself.

You would have found out the hack whose piss you drank was full of shit instead of just running to start a topic confirming you are a credulous parroting idiot.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back