Proof that the Catholic Church is the one true church and all others are pretenders...

The assertion here couldn't be further from the truth if you tried. And I say that as someone who is familiar with Catholicism, as I grew up going to Catholic church. That experience is was what led me away from all religion (and unfortunately, God) for many, many years.

Again I have nothing against Catholic people. Most that I know are good, decent folks. It's the church teaching I have a problem with.

I never thought otherwise. Did you think my post was about you? Just in case there was any confusion, my statement was about Blackrook's original post.

I agree with you, btw. I know good Catholic folks. It's the church itself that I have a problem with, to put it mildly.

Oh no I should have clarified, I didn't think YOU thought Catholic people were bad or anything sorry! I was about to leave the conversation and wanted to just clarify! Sorry. Sometimes things are clear in my head but don't make it to type! Geez, Mea Culpa.

That does not change the fact that the Catholic Church is guided by the Holy Spirit and preserved from doctrinal error.
And this is how we know that the NEw Testament canon is valid; by the authority of the Magisterium, and nothing else.

The assertion here couldn't be further from the truth if you tried. And I say that as someone who is familiar with Catholicism, as I grew up going to Catholic church. That experience is was what led me away from all religion (and unfortunately, God) for many, many years.

Again I have nothing against Catholic people. Most that I know are good, decent folks. It's the church teaching I have a problem with.

I never thought otherwise. Did you think my post was about you? Just in case there was any confusion, my statement was about Blackrook's original post.

I agree with you, btw. I know good Catholic folks. It's the church itself that I have a problem with, to put it mildly.

Oh no I should have clarified, I didn't think YOU thought Catholic people were bad or anything sorry! I was about to leave the conversation and wanted to just clarify! Sorry. Sometimes things are clear in my head but don't make it to type! Geez, Mea Culpa.

I know you didn't think that. But I thought that you thought I was referring to you, when I said "this assertion couldn't be further from the truth." hahah, all this confusion. No need to apologize.

The Catholic Church is the only church that has held the line on artificial forms of birth control.

The Catholic Church is the only church that has held the line on Jesus' teaching that one should not divorce and remarry.

The Catholic Church is the only church that has held the line on women being excluded from the priesthood.

You may disagree with these positions, the whole world may disagree, but the Catholic Church's holding to unpopular positions is proof that the Catholic Church is not a creature of popular opinion but something more powerful and permanent.

The Catholic Church is the only church preserved from error by the Holy Spirit.

All other churches' holding of any doctrine can be changed by a vote of its leadership and/or membership.

Only the Pope can change a Catholic doctrine, but because the Holy Spirit guides him, doctrines that were true yesterday remain true today.

1. There is nothing in the Bible about contraception.

2. Divorce is not exactly encouraged in many Christian churches

3. Women cannot be pastors in my church

4. The Catholic Church stating that the Holy Spirit preserves is from error is the ultimate "circular reasoning". Um, look at Pope Francis, sorry, he's just full of error

My husband was Catholic and my lovely in-laws (I mean that) are Catholic. I have no problem with Catholic people, but the Catholic CHURCH withholds Christian teaching from too many.
The Catholic Church withholds Christian teaching?

That's an obsolete accusation more credible before the printing press was invented and rare and expensive Catholic Bibles had to be locked to the pulpit so they wouldn't be stolen.

Make that accusation 500 years ago and you might have had a point.

The Catholic Church makes good people believe that the process of sanctification--which belongs solely to the Holy Spirit--has been farmed out to humans via rituals.
I've heard all this before.

Your Protestant pastors have no more authority to teach the Gospel or administer the sacraments than anyone else, so it makes sense you resent the Catholic priesthood.

I don't need a human mediator, and neither do you.

Christ is the High Priest, blackrook. That's why the curtain was torn in two. There is no separation. And believe me, there is no "resentment". I do not look at the Catholic Church and say, gosh golly, I wish I had what THEY have. No way.
The Protestant heaven is so empty, with only God and a few angels to greet you when you arrive.

Catholic heaven is filled with God, Jesus, Mary, all the Saints and angels, thousands of friends who are watching you and will pray for you whenever you ask.

The Saints are Catholic heroes. The stories of their lives inspire us, show us the way.

My name Saint is Sir Thomas More, who died rather than swear an oath that King Henry VIII's marriage to Anne Boleyn was valid. He is a lawyer, like me, and his life of personal courage and unquestionable ethics gives me a role model to imitate.

Just to be clear, if there are separate heavens for each brand of religion, doesn't that throw your theory of one God judging whether you go to heaven or hell out the window?
I was not being literal.

As often as you spout bullshit, it's hard to tell when you are making an intentionally irrational claim or not.
You disagree with me, but I don't spout bullshit. I believe everything I say, and I've never deliberately said anything that was untrue.

Yet you just said you weren't being literal. You can't have it both ways numb nuts.

The Catholic Church is the only church that has held the line on artificial forms of birth control.

The Catholic Church is the only church that has held the line on Jesus' teaching that one should not divorce and remarry.

The Catholic Church is the only church that has held the line on women being excluded from the priesthood.

You may disagree with these positions, the whole world may disagree, but the Catholic Church's holding to unpopular positions is proof that the Catholic Church is not a creature of popular opinion but something more powerful and permanent.

All other churches' holding of any doctrine can be changed by a vote of its leadership and/or membership.

Only the Pope can change a Catholic doctrine, but because the Holy Spirit guides him, doctrines that were true yesterday remain true today.
So, because they are primitive, anti-science, and misogynistic they are the "one true church"?

View attachment 322420
The Catholic Church preserved the knowledge of the ancient world and brought Europe out of the dark ages. It is absurd to say we are "anti-science." Many of the best universities are Catholic.
Lol, the Catholic Church was the cause of the dark ages you nitwit.

So, because they are primitive, anti-science, and misogynistic they are the "one true church"?

View attachment 322420
The Catholic Church preserved the knowledge of the ancient world and brought Europe out of the dark ages. It is absurd to say we are "anti-science." Many of the best universities are Catholic.

Too simplistic by far

Heh heh. This thread reminds me of the time the Catholics tried to blow up King James back when his translators were scribbling a New Testament because they thought the translators were siding with the Protestants. Even though the translators were trying to appease both denominations.

To this day, they're still going at it. It's like The Hatfields and the McCoys

View attachment 322420
The fall of the Roman Empire was the cause of the Dark Ages, shit-for-brains.

The Catholic monasteries preserved knowledge of the ancient world. Were it not for them, we would now know nothing about the Greek philosophers, the history of the Roman Republic and Empire, it would all have been lost.

You are an idiot who knows nothing about history.

Heh heh. This thread reminds me of the time the Catholics tried to blow up King James back when his translators were scribbling a New Testament because they thought the translators were siding with the Protestants. Even though the translators were trying to appease both denominations.

To this day, they're still going at it. It's like The Hatfields and the McCoys
The plot happened because King James was persecuting Catholics and murdering Catholic priests.

Based on the Bible--and not Catholic fiction--she was not a perpetual virgin. She was married to Joseph and she had other children, one of them being James, you know. Who wrote the Book of James. I can't speak for Catholic women. I don't know what it's like to be in that kind of a system frankly, with the history of long-standing problems and everything else. NOT that every church doesn't have issues, because oh, we do, and I know it.
According to the texts from the first century Church Fathers, Mary was believed to have been a 'temple virgin' who remained int he temple women's court fairly constantly and was pledged to remaining a virgin for God. older men would sometimes marry these virgins to protect them from being raped then married as a consequence.

When Mary became pregnant with Jesus, it was a real scandal for any young unmarried woman and a real humiliation for Joseph who had every right to not follow through with the marriage, but he did.

But Joseph was not fucking Mary, as he respected her commitment to the Temple and worship of God.

Also in the First century it was common for people to refer to first cousins who lived in the same household as 'brothers', though they were not brothers by parentage.

1. There is nothing in the Bible about contraception.

2. Divorce is not exactly encouraged in many Christian churches

3. Women cannot be pastors in my church

4. The Catholic Church stating that the Holy Spirit preserves is from error is the ultimate "circular reasoning". Um, look at Pope Francis, sorry, he's just full of error

My husband was Catholic and my lovely in-laws (I mean that) are Catholic. I have no problem with Catholic people, but the Catholic CHURCH withholds Christian teaching from too many.
The Catholic Church withholds Christian teaching?

That's an obsolete accusation more credible before the printing press was invented and rare and expensive Catholic Bibles had to be locked to the pulpit so they wouldn't be stolen.

Make that accusation 500 years ago and you might have had a point.

Absolutely.

My husband's Catholic grandmother did not understand, until we showed her, that Mary mother of Jesus did not have other children. In the 'Catholic' Bible of course that is whitewashed into "cousins" which is completely insupportable. The perpetual virginity just makes her into an idol and is not necessary.
The Protestant attitude towards Mary is very disrespectful, in my opinion. It's like they're determined to hate her out of spite for how much Catholics love her.

Not at all. She was chosen to be the mother of Jesus--an honorable position. But she was human, and not to be worshiped and certainly not to be prayed for. When Jesus was delivered she was a virgin. After that she was not. Everything about her life after: her perpetual virginity, her ascension into heaven, is a fiction of the Catholic Church.

You threw "disrespectful" at me because you really cannot argue the facts. I do not hate her. But she should not be made into an idol. It's a violation of the Ten Commandments, Commandment 1
You're entitled to your wrong opinions about Mary.

I think Mary's role in the Catholic Church is important, especially to Catholic women. Her prominent position as God's mother more than makes up for the fact that the Catholic Church is a male-dominated religion.

It's not my "opinion" about Mary. Based on the Bible--and not Catholic fiction--she was not a perpetual virgin. She was married to Joseph and she had other children, one of them being James, you know. Who wrote the Book of James. I can't speak for Catholic women. I don't know what it's like to be in that kind of a system frankly, with the history of long-standing problems and everything else. NOT that every church doesn't have issues, because oh, we do, and I know it.
Every Protestant church has the same problem -- their inability to hold up against the winds of public opinion. When the world says it's time to have gay priests, the Protestants have gay priests. When the world says marriage is not really for life, the Protestants say that marriage is not really for life. Decisions are decided by majority vote, and if the change in doctrine isn't agreed to by everyone, there is a division and the church splits into two. The situation is uncertain and chaotic and I have no idea how Protestants put up with it. There are now 20,000 denominations of Protestantism.

If refusing to change beliefs even when logic and reason demand it is a sign of credibility for you, then you must be really impressed with the flat Earthers.

My name Saint is Sir Thomas More, who died rather than swear an oath that King Henry VIII's marriage to Anne Boleyn was valid. He is a lawyer, like me, and his life of personal courage and unquestionable ethics gives me a role model to imitate.
I hope he was a better lawyer than you. It was his refusal to take the oath of supremacy where allegiance was sworn to the king of England as supreme governor of the church of England that was his death sentence.

Protestants always say "I have no problem with Catholics, I have problems with the Catholic Church."

Let me say something about that.

I attended a private school from second grade to sixth, a private school from seventh grade to eighth, a Catholic high school, a public community college, a public university, and a Catholic law school.

My experience in non-Catholic and Catholic schools is that Catholic schools are better. I had fewer problems with bullies in Catholic schools, there was much less of the petty nastiness you sometimes see in school, and I felt more cared for by the teachers and administration in the Catholic schools.

It is my contention that Catholics are nicer people on average than non-Catholics. We are taught to love our neighbors, and this is drilled into us at every Mass through songs like: They will know we are Christians by our love. We are told by our priests that the best witness we can give to the world is not to preach to people, but to be loving to them.

If you have no problem with Catholics, think about why that is.

I'm not saying Catholics are perfect. There are unfortunately many Catholics who live in total disregard to Catholic teachings: drug dealers, petty dictators, crooked politicians like Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden. But on average, Catholics are nicer than non-Catholics. That is my experience from school.

Only if he speaks "ex cathedra" is he setting forth Catholic doctrine.
and excathedra statements are issued only after considerable research by multiple scholars and acquiring the consensus of the Cardinals.

The Pope cant just up and legalize morally sinful deeds like theft, sodomy, murder, etc.

Well it was NOT all Catholics in England. Many had taken an oath of loyalty to the King, asserting that the Pope had no authority over the king, something we all assume these days.

Last edited:
This Pope is an embarrassment but he can't change Catholic doctrine, even if he wanted to, the Holy Spirit would prevent it.
I think I sympathize with what Pope Francis is trying to do, which I think is to return various practices int he church back to what they were when society was mostly pagan, as it is today.

This greatly complicates the wisdom of unmarried priests, divorce among Catholics and sexual norms.

He should research traditional responses to these things and promote them as a needed restoration instead of giving full reign to the liberal Bavarian Mafia.

Well it was all Catholics in England. Many had taken an oath of loyalty to the King, asserting that the Pope had no authority over the king, something we all assume these days.
The King declared himself head of the Church in England, a rebellion against the spiritual authority of the Pope. Had the English people had a backbone, they would have rebelled in masse at this point, overthrown him. But the English people have no backbone, it is part of their national character to submit to the authority of their government, never disobeying even the most tyrannical laws like complete confiscation of all firearms.

The Irish, they have backbone, so they clung to the Catholic faith in the face of persecution that lasted hundreds of years. I am proud to have Irish heritage, because we believe that some things are worth fighting for.

Well it was NOT all Catholics in England. Many had taken an oath of loyalty to the King, asserting that the Pope had no authority over the king, something we all assume these days.

Yeah, maybe. It's none of my business. I'm gonna have some bran flakes and do some situps, Jimbo. Have a good morning.

Forum List

Back