Proof that the Catholic Church is the one true church and all others are pretenders...

It’s what we were taught as kids going to catechism.

But then most of us grew up.

The Catholic Church is the only church that has held the line on artificial forms of birth control.

The Catholic Church is the only church that has held the line on Jesus' teaching that one should not divorce and remarry.

The Catholic Church is the only church that has held the line on women being excluded from the priesthood.

You may disagree with these positions, the whole world may disagree, but the Catholic Church's holding to unpopular positions is proof that the Catholic Church is not a creature of popular opinion but something more powerful and permanent.

The Catholic Church is the only church preserved from error by the Holy Spirit.

All other churches' holding of any doctrine can be changed by a vote of its leadership and/or membership.

Only the Pope can change a Catholic doctrine, but because the Holy Spirit guides him, doctrines that were true yesterday remain true today.

1. There is nothing in the Bible about contraception.

2. Divorce is not exactly encouraged in many Christian churches

3. Women cannot be pastors in my church

4. The Catholic Church stating that the Holy Spirit preserves is from error is the ultimate "circular reasoning". Um, look at Pope Francis, sorry, he's just full of error

My husband was Catholic and my lovely in-laws (I mean that) are Catholic. I have no problem with Catholic people, but the Catholic CHURCH withholds Christian teaching from too many.
The Catholic Church withholds Christian teaching?

That's an obsolete accusation more credible before the printing press was invented and rare and expensive Catholic Bibles had to be locked to the pulpit so they wouldn't be stolen.

Make that accusation 500 years ago and you might have had a point.

Absolutely.

My husband's Catholic grandmother did not understand, until we showed her, that Mary mother of Jesus did not have other children. In the 'Catholic' Bible of course that is whitewashed into "cousins" which is completely insupportable. The perpetual virginity just makes her into an idol and is not necessary.
The Protestant attitude towards Mary is very disrespectful, in my opinion. It's like they're determined to hate her out of spite for how much Catholics love her.
"We" hate your worship of her.

The Catholic Church is the only church that has held the line on artificial forms of birth control.

The Catholic Church is the only church that has held the line on Jesus' teaching that one should not divorce and remarry.

The Catholic Church is the only church that has held the line on women being excluded from the priesthood.

You may disagree with these positions, the whole world may disagree, but the Catholic Church's holding to unpopular positions is proof that the Catholic Church is not a creature of popular opinion but something more powerful and permanent.

All other churches' holding of any doctrine can be changed by a vote of its leadership and/or membership.

Only the Pope can change a Catholic doctrine, but because the Holy Spirit guides him, doctrines that were true yesterday remain true today.

4. The Catholic Church stating that the Holy Spirit preserves is from error is the ultimate "circular reasoning". Um, look at Pope Francis, sorry, he's just full of error

My husband was Catholic and my lovely in-laws (I mean that) are Catholic. I have no problem with Catholic people, but the Catholic CHURCH withholds Christian teaching from too many.

It's a fascinating question.

“I say, therefore, that the judgement of those who preside over the Church can make errors in any matter insofar as their private persons are concerned. If, however, we consider the divine providence of God, the Holy Spirit…..it is certain that it is impossible for the judgement of the universal Church to be in error”

A good little bit on it in the link.

Greg

“I say, therefore, that the judgement of those who preside over the Church can make errors in any matter insofar as their private persons are concerned. If, however, we consider the divine providence of God, the Holy Spirit…..it is certain that it is impossible for the judgement of the universal Church to be in error”

Greg

Greg, some of those Popes though....

That's an obsolete accusation more credible before the printing press was invented and rare and expensive Catholic Bibles had to be locked to the pulpit so they wouldn't be stolen.

Absolutely.

My husband's Catholic grandmother did not understand, until we showed her, that Mary mother of Jesus did not have other children. In the 'Catholic' Bible of course that is whitewashed into "cousins" which is completely insupportable. The perpetual virginity just makes her into an idol and is not necessary.
The Protestant attitude towards Mary is very disrespectful, in my opinion. It's like they're determined to hate her out of spite for how much Catholics love her.
Micks don't "worship" Mary and never have. We just give her the respect she deserves. Anyone who "Worships" Mary is a heretic and should be burned at the stake!!!

But we do love Mary because she said "Yes" to god. (OK: Mary said ‘Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.’ but in Hebrew).

ps: Awww OK; stake burnings are off; Global warming and all that sort of thing.........but a severe reprimand nonetheless.

Greg

Greg

I mean some of those medieval popes were as crooked as the day is long--that pun is terrible, I admit it--

And really, this fits in with Christianity. None of us is righteous. No, not one. (Romans 3:10)

Absolutely.

Micks don't "worship" Mary and never have. We just give her the respect she deserves. Anyone who "Worships" Mary is a heretic and should be burned at the stake!!!

But we do love Mary because she said "Yes" to god. (OK: Mary said ‘Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.’ but in Hebrew).

ps: Awww OK; stake burnings are off; Global warming and all that sort of thing.........but a severe reprimand nonetheless.

Greg
Do you PRAY to Mary?

Do you believe she is in heaven, or in the grave awaiting the Return and the RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD?

I already know the answer tho these questions and more

Greg

"the judgement of those who preside over the Church can make errors in any matter insofar as their private persons are concerned"

Indeed some were VERY NAUGHTY BOYS!!!!...(and even girls Pope Joan).

(Ps: I cannot vouch for the veracity of the rather naughty article). however, she was only a mythical person...maybe.

Greg

Greg

I mean some of those medieval popes were as crooked as the day is long--that pun is terrible, I admit it--

And really, this fits in with Christianity. None of us is righteous. No, not one. (Romans 3:10)
True, but also remember that the Pope is the only Living Person charged by the Church to be "Holy". That's a tall order.

Greg

Greg

True, but also remember that the Pope is the only Living Person charged by the Church to be "Holy". That's a tall order.

Greg

Well like I said maybe charged by the Catholic church but not by the Bible or by Christ. But we're arguing theology, not people. Happy Easter--my virtual church is about to start. He is Risen!

Absolutely.

Greg
Do you PRAY to Mary?

Do you believe she is in heaven, or in the grave awaiting the Return and the RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD?

"To" is an interesting word. Recall the second verse of the Hail Mary: Holy Mary, Mother of God, PRAY FOR US SINNERS

I'm afraid that's all she can do though we also believe that the Saints can also pray for us. I'm not one to ask really as my Theology Studies were limited to school though I did attend interdenominational prayer/study groups at Uni but it was only the Baptists that were scary especially the bloke who was our Prop Forward. (Plymouth Brethren).

Greg

Greg

Greg

Well like I said maybe charged by the Catholic church but not by the Bible or by Christ. But we're arguing theology, not people. Happy Easter--my virtual church is about to start. He is Risen!
Happy Easter.

Greg

Absolutely.

Greg
Do you PRAY to Mary?

"To" is an interesting word. Recall the second verse of the Hail Mary: Holy Mary, Mother of God, PRAY FOR US SINNERS

I'm afraid that's all she can do though we also believe that the Saints can also pray for us. I'm not one to ask really as my Theology Studies were limited to school though I did attend interdenominational prayer/study groups at Uni but it was only the Baptists that were scary especially the bloke who was our Prop Forward. (Plymouth Brethren).

Greg
I appreciate your good attitude, but I totally disagree on matters of doctrine.
Yes Catholics worship Mary, and angels too which is strictly forbidden in the Scriptures.

Mary is not in heaven. She is dead and buried awaiting the Resurrection of the Dead at Christ's Return. She, like all of humanity, sleeps in the grave.

Neither humans nor angels are to be worshipped

And I (John) fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Absolutely.

Greg
Do you PRAY to Mary?

If you know the answers then bully for you. lol

Me; I'm just a miserable sinner.................

Greg

Absolutely.

Greg
Do you PRAY to Mary?

Greg
I appreciate your good attitude, but I totally disagree on matters of doctrine.
Yes Catholics worship Mary, and angels too which is strictly forbidden in the Scriptures.

Mary is not in heaven. She is dead and buried awaiting the Resurrection of the Deat at Christ's Return. She, like all of humanity, sleeps in the grave.

Neither humans nor Angel's are to be worshipped

And I (John) fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

"Yes Catholics worship Mary, and angels too which is strictly forbidden in the Scriptures."

Nope. You are wrong as I have pointed out. Why would anyone worship Mary? She's not God!!

She has a very wonderful place in the life of the Church because she is Jesus's mum.

PS: Th Assumption is a beautiful Article of Faith not supported by the Bible per se but do remember that the Bible was put together by the Catholic Church. Exactly how the "Assumption" happened I cannot say though my personal understanding is in line with Transsubstantiation. Remember that both were/ are acts of God, not of Mary.

Do you believe in the Ascension??

Greg

Sorry, but the church I attend doesn't believe that artificial forms of birth control are especially healthy. We do not have women pastors. And Frankly, the Amish have far bigger families that those of most Roman Catholics.

I hope you find Jesus one day.

Forum List

Back