Proper Con perspective on social issues

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I want to deal with the Top 3 social issues, from a conservative perspective, and offer a roadway to success for conservative politics. I am not a liberal, nor will I ever be a liberal. Regardless of the names I am called and the level of vitriolic rhetoric from the relentless left, I will always, until the day I day, be a conservative. To some bigoted people, this simply means that I am always going to be closed-minded and intolerant, not willing to compromise or consider any sort of progress. Not to mention, I am supposedly a racist homophobe and probably a religious wacko too. However, I know, as do many conservatives, I am none of those things, so it doesn't really bother me what people think.

I am mostly conservative because I am pragmatic, and I find liberals to be off-the-hinge, while libertarians are too idealistic. From a social perspective, I believe society does have the right to establish appropriate boundaries of acceptance with regard to decency, and this is indeed a moralistic judgement. I see nothing wrong with this, as long as it is decided by "the people" in ballot initiatives or elected representation. I do not want the government to assume the power of moral determiner. I am very strongly opposed to this, but for some reason, liberals are usually not. They seek to use the power of government to strongarm liberal social policies upon us, and never seem to understand the perverse ramifications of this.

This is the fundamental point the right has been neglecting. Our position should be, it's not the government's place to determine what "marriage" means to an individual. Whether it includes homosexuals or doesn't include them, should not be up to the government to decide at all. In fact, the issues of gay marriage, abortion, legalization of pot, can all be gathered under the same umbrella of freedom and liberty. It simply should not be up to the government to decide these things for us, the people.

I have always been a strong advocate of Federalism, otherwise known as "States rights." Again, the lefties conjure up immediate images of fire hoses and attack dogs, rebel flags and racists, because this is what "states rights" signifies to them. But the Constitution is the Constitution, and the 10th Amendment specifically outlines the distribution of power and authority. Ultimately, The People have the most authority to decide, then the State, and last of all, the Federal government. In fact, there are no limits placed on the power of the people and states, while the Federal government is limited to only the powers vested in it by the Constitution itself. Somehow, we have managed to change this around, and people mistakenly assume the Federal government tells the States, who then, tell the People what to do.

The position from the conservative right, should be focused on this aspect alone. Do not allow the left to continue using these wedge issues, to divide us amongst ourselves. There is no basis for their argument to begin with, and what they are trying to do is actually contradictory to their own principles. They are attempting to ensure, for all time sake, that the Federal government has the authority to tell us what is right and wrong! In these particular instances, they want the government to tell us things are right because they like those things, but once this criteria has been set, the same government can tell us something they don't like. It makes absolutely NO sense, unless you are a blind nitwit liberal, who just spews the same mindless propaganda over and over like a zombie.

The right needs to pick up the banner of individual freedom and liberty, and shut down the left-wing social issue noise machine, once and for all.

Forum List

Back