Proposal: Federalism Amendment to COTUS

Should we push for a ConCon to get this ratified?

• Total voters
Section 6: Income Tax. The 16th article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby immediately repealed, and any person convicted of the crime of federal tax evasion, whether currently in prison or not, whether currently living or not, whether also convicted of other crimes or not, is hereby pardoned.
I know this one alone is a deal breaker for the tax-happy statists. It's just fun to throw it out there and watch them piss their pants.

By the way, TRIVIA question. You get three guesses:

Which country collects more taxes than any other nation on earth?

Consumption taxes.
If the govt was the way it was supposed to be, it wouldnt even be that high. AND we wouldnt get fucked for working.
"awww you dont feel like working? Here, take this guys earnings. You deserve it"

Although I like some of the things listed, Hell will need to be much colder before it could ever happen.
Key word: "Some".

Exactly why such a verbose "amendment" would never see the light of day.

Section 1: Secession. Any State or Indian tribe may, by an act of its legislature, secede from the United States.

Section 2: Nature of the Union. From the perspective of the United States, the States are sovereign and are the parties to the Constitution, which is a compact among the States.

Section 3: Nullification.

(a) When a national majority the States of the United States declares a decision by any federal court to be inconsistent with the U.S. Constitution, the said decision shall thereby be negated and precedent restored. The States shall convey their declarations to the U.S. Solicitor General, who in turn will notify the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court to take appropriate measures consistent with this Section.

(b) Any federal treaty, executive agreement, statute, regulation, administrative ruling, executive order, or the like may be nullified by a national majority of the States, pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 3(a).

(c) Any person holding an office of the United States government may be removed from office by a national majority of the States, pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 3(a).

Section 4: Interstate Highway Funds. The United States is prohibited from placing any conditions on any grants of interstate highway funds not directly and reasonably related to the purpose of establishing interstate transportation.

Section 5: Free Market. An internal free market, being necessary to the prosperity of a national economy, the interstate commerce clause set forth in Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3 shall henceforth be construed, with respect to commerce among the states, to give Congress only the power to prohibit State restrictions on interstate trade; and in no event shall this power or any other power in the Constitution be construed to give the Congress plenary legislative or police power. This Section is subject to the limits set forth in Section 1.

Section 6: Income Tax. The 16th article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby immediately repealed, and any person convicted of the crime of federal tax evasion, whether currently in prison or not, whether currently living or not, whether also convicted of other crimes or not, is hereby pardoned.

Section 7: Election of Senators. The 17th article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby immediately repealed.

Section 8: State Pardon Power. The governor of each State shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons to any individual convicted of any crime by any federal court who (a) is currently imprisoned within the territory of said State; (b) is a current or previous resident of said State; or (c) committed the acts serving as the basis for said conviction while present in said State.

Section 9: Federal Judiciary. The judicial power of the United States includes the power to nullify (a) any federal law or policy (1) that is not expressly authorized by this Constitution, or (2) that prohibits or unreasonably regulates of a rightful exercise of liberty; and (b) any state law expressly prohibited by a provision of this Constitution or by a constitutional federal statute; but does not include the general power to nullify or review other state laws. This Section is subject to the limits set forth in Section 1.

Section 10: Posse Comitatus. No member of the United States' armed forces or any other armed federal official, employee or agent may be present or bear arms in the territory of a State without the express written permission of the governor of said State. No federal military installation may be placed in the territory of a State without the express written permission of the governor of said State.

Section 11: Original Understanding. The words of this article, and any other provision of this Constitution, shall be interpreted according to their public meaning at the time of their enactment.

>>>”Section 4: Interstate Highway Funds”

I believe federal funds to build and maintain highways (which can be any roads that connect states) are appropriated by authorization from the Commerce Clause. It’s been that way since 1907. So my question is this, if you constrict the commerce clause to “only the power to prohibit State restrictions on interstate trade; and in no event shall this power or any other power in the Constitution be construed to give the Congress plenary legislative or police power”; would congress still have the power to appropriate funds for highways at all?

Although I like some of the things listed, Hell will need to be much colder before it could ever happen.

Considering the way the Constitution is raped on a daily basis, i would think that is a necessity.
A repeal of the 17th Amendment, as an example, should be a separate amendment.

A repeal of the 16th Amendment should be a separate amendment.

Trying to cram SEVERAL changes to the Constitution in a single amendment is a fool's errand.

Considering the way the Constitution is raped on a daily basis, i would think that is a necessity.

Trying to cram SEVERAL changes to the Constitution in a single amendment is a fool's errand.
Gotcha
Where are you on them if they were seperated?

Gotcha

On even-numbered days, I am in favor of repealing the 17th Amendment. On odd-numbered days, I'm not.

Repealing the 16th Amendment would be stupid.

"The words of this article, and any other provision of this Constitution, shall be interpreted according to their public meaning at the time of their enactment."

Yeah, good luck with that. There was no monolithic public opinion at the time of their enactment.

Gotcha

On even-numbered days, I am in favor of repealing the 17th Amendment. On odd-numbered days, I'm not.

Why would that be stupid?

Gotcha

Why would that be stupid?
How would you raise revenue as efficiently and quantitatively as the income tax does?

Bear in mind, I much prefer a Fair Tax, but I didn't see that in the list o' changes.

I believe federal funds to build and maintain highways (which can be any roads that connect states) are appropriated by authorization from the Commerce Clause. It’s been that way since 1907. So my question is this, if you constrict the commerce clause to “only the power to prohibit State restrictions on interstate trade; and in no event shall this power or any other power in the Constitution be construed to give the Congress plenary legislative or police power”; would congress still have the power to appropriate funds for highways at all?
Good question. I appreciate your willingness to actually give it some thought. Bravo.

Yes, congress would still have the power to appropriate highway funds. Aritcle I, Section 8, Clause 1:

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;"

Specifically, highways provide for the common defense. Eisenhower saw the need after seeing the autobahn in Germany. Military forces must have interstate highways to move anywhere in the U.S. to meet any threat or attempted invasion.

You can get there several other ways as well.

Fair enough, but we're only going to get one shot at it, so they will all be proposed at once anyway.

Fair enough, but we're only going to get one shot at it, so they will all be proposed at once anyway.
Then it is dead in the water.

Section 1: Secession. Any State or Indian tribe may, by an act of its legislature, secede from the United States.

Section 2: Nature of the Union. From the perspective of the United States, the States are sovereign and are the parties to the Constitution, which is a compact among the States.

Section 3: Nullification.

(a) When a national majority the States of the United States declares a decision by any federal court to be inconsistent with the U.S. Constitution, the said decision shall thereby be negated and precedent restored. The States shall convey their declarations to the U.S. Solicitor General, who in turn will notify the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court to take appropriate measures consistent with this Section.

(b) Any federal treaty, executive agreement, statute, regulation, administrative ruling, executive order, or the like may be nullified by a national majority of the States, pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 3(a).

(c) Any person holding an office of the United States government may be removed from office by a national majority of the States, pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 3(a).

Section 4: Interstate Highway Funds. The United States is prohibited from placing any conditions on any grants of interstate highway funds not directly and reasonably related to the purpose of establishing interstate transportation.

Section 5: Free Market. An internal free market, being necessary to the prosperity of a national economy, the interstate commerce clause set forth in Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3 shall henceforth be construed, with respect to commerce among the states, to give Congress only the power to prohibit State restrictions on interstate trade; and in no event shall this power or any other power in the Constitution be construed to give the Congress plenary legislative or police power. This Section is subject to the limits set forth in Section 1.

Section 7: Election of Senators. The 17th article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby immediately repealed.

Section 8: State Pardon Power. The governor of each State shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons to any individual convicted of any crime by any federal court who (a) is currently imprisoned within the territory of said State; (b) is a current or previous resident of said State; or (c) committed the acts serving as the basis for said conviction while present in said State.

Section 9: Federal Judiciary. The judicial power of the United States includes the power to nullify (a) any federal law or policy (1) that is not expressly authorized by this Constitution, or (2) that prohibits or unreasonably regulates of a rightful exercise of liberty; and (b) any state law expressly prohibited by a provision of this Constitution or by a constitutional federal statute; but does not include the general power to nullify or review other state laws. This Section is subject to the limits set forth in Section 1.

Section 10: Posse Comitatus. No member of the United States' armed forces or any other armed federal official, employee or agent may be present or bear arms in the territory of a State without the express written permission of the governor of said State. No federal military installation may be placed in the territory of a State without the express written permission of the governor of said State.

Section 11: Original Understanding. The words of this article, and any other provision of this Constitution, shall be interpreted according to their public meaning at the time of their enactment.

So basically you are wanting to dissolve the United States and become more of a American Union like the EU?

How would you raise revenue as efficiently and quantitatively as the income tax does?
Considering that the U.S. tax revenues are ridiculous compared to all other countries:

1. U.S. = $5.7 trillion in 2016
2. China = $3.2 trillion
3. Japan = $1.7 trillion

I would say that we need to cut the goddamn spending. Our government could collect at the current rate and spend like China ($3.5 trillion) and become debt-free and self-sustaining in a a couple of decades.

That will not happen because nobody is interested in financial independence.

So, fuck those motherfuckers. We're tired of the bullshit. Learn to live on a shoestring budget. No excuses.

So is our GDP.

Do you think that might have something to do with how much we collect in revenues???

Hmmm...
Yes. What's your point?

We have 1/4 the population as fucking CHINA and we spend TWICE what they do.

We should be self-sustaining at these levels of revenue. It is complete financial mismanagement (fraud) that should be punishable by death.

Forum List

Back