Debate Now Prove your case! Is Homosexuality genetic or a choice?

I didn't evolve, I was born. Are you still evolving? Seems like it is taking you a long time.........:eek:

Well at least you're honest about not evolving.

That still doesn't mean you're not Animal.........:D

Are you always so relentless in your attempts to proselytize others into your small-minded way of thinking? You must be exhausted, tiger.

I really don't give a crap if you wish to remain ignorant....it's not my small-minded way of thinking, it's fact. You must really enjoy being dumb.

You're very Juvenile, insensitive, and annoying. Go away!

You're the one that is juvenile, not even knowing that humans are "animals"....and you are also very annoying and dumb. You go away. Go get an education so you don't sound so uninformed.

Homosexuality is a behavior and not a condition. All through this thread people are all over the board with this and a lot of the talk seems to indicate some people believe homosexuality is something you are born with and out of your control. This is nonsense, and no... it doesn't mean you get up every morning and make a contemplative decision on which sex to be attracted to. That's not what is meant by it being a choice. You don't get up in the morning and decide you're not feeling this whole "morality" bit so you're going to be a promiscuous sexual slut today. You don't get up in the morning and decide you're going to be a pathological liar, a hypochondriac, a kleptomaniac, a sociopath.. those are behavioral conditions.

Behaviors are the result of many factors and each individual is different. Genetics can certainly be an influence. A male born with stronger feminine genetic attributes might be naturally more attracted to males... that's genetic. To act on that attraction by engaging in homosexual relations, is not genetic. That's a personal choice.

One thing that makes us profoundly different from other animals is our ability to control our sexual urges. This silly notion that gay people can't help it, they are born that way and can't control their sexual urges, is preposterous. If humans didn't have the ability to control sexual urges, we wouldn't be able to go out in public without seeing humans mating everywhere.

Psychologist regard child molesters, in particular pedophiles, as being incurable. According to those perpetrators who have been interviewed, their actions
are not their personal choices. They claim they are unable to control their sexual urges.

Okay, let's examine pedophilia. Some people are sexually attracted to young boys or girls. Grown men old enough to be grandpas get off on flat-chested teenie girls with pigtails and saddle oxfords. They are never going to ACT on that urge and break the law by having sex with a minor. We've recently seen a rash of semi-hot teachers being convicted of messing around with their pubescent male students... hmmm... did this suddenly stop becoming a choice and become an uncontrollable behavior since when I went to school???

Pedophiles may not be curable, but what makes them pedophiles is not entirely sexual.

We DO have the ability to control our sexual urges. If we didn't, this would be like farts in public, every now and then, one would accidentally sneak out. We'd routinely see someone who was unable to control themselves sexually in public and we don't see that. It's rare and unusual because it denotes a really messed up mental health state. We lock those people away in institutions.

If the claim is it is a genetic anomaly its seems to open the door for prenatal screening and a possible cure or "therapeutic abortion"...I think the gays are better of claiming it is a choice and a right in the long run

It really doesn't matter if its nature or nurture. If it's between consenting adults, how one chooses to live is no one's business.

Okay, I kind of disagree with this but first I need to point out there is no place in America where people are not allowed to live as homosexuals. If anyone ever passes a law prohibiting homosexuals from living there or prohibiting homosexuality in general, I will be right there with you to protest.

But how people 'choose to live' in society has to be decided amongst the community in which they live. That is how civil societies work. We have boundaries and limitations on how people behave. You use the term "consenting adult" but that is simply a boundary and limitation society has placed on people. If it's not your business, then it shouldn't be your business how someone else might define "consent" or "adult" and it doesn't have to meet with your approval, right?

When you absolve yourself from the "business" society has to maintain boundaries and limitations, you do so at your own peril because it undermines civil society.

Society has a business in maintaining only the boundaries where one mans feckles effect another mans liberties.

Ive never heard a single reasonable argument to consider gay taboo as a society. Ever.

I see, so you are so "primal" that you can't even consider mastering your mind or the difference between physical stimuli and reasoning. You must be a caveman or something.

A sex pervert may not care who causes him physical sexual stimuli, most sensible people do.
Are you supporting my point or GT's point.

Your point seems to have meandered.......I believe that homosexuals are born wired to be sexually attracted to members of the same sex....it is not a choice.

You first claimed it was not a choice, now you are backpedaling and claiming it is a choice. So, it appears you may be confused.
You're just not paying attention. There are two definitions of the term. One definition is talking about choice all people make when they decide to engage in a sex act. The other definition is talking about an aspect of biology that is a choice for strong willed people and is not a choice for weak willed people.
Thats idiotic.

Again, meditate and get a boner thinking of a man, and then get back to us Miogi.
No MORON, it's not idiotic. IT IS A FACT THAT I ALREADY CITED TO. Not my fault you're too stupid to read and comprehend simple facts.

I see, so you are so "primal" that you can't even consider mastering your mind or the difference between physical stimuli and reasoning. You must be a caveman or something.

A sex pervert may not care who causes him physical sexual stimuli, most sensible people do.

Your point seems to have meandered.......I believe that homosexuals are born wired to be sexually attracted to members of the same sex....it is not a choice.

You first claimed it was not a choice, now you are backpedaling and claiming it is a choice. So, it appears you may be confused.
You're just not paying attention. There are two definitions of the term. One definition is talking about choice all people make when they decide to engage in a sex act. The other definition is talking about an aspect of biology that is a choice for strong willed people and is not a choice for weak willed people.

You're just not making any sense. Give me some links backing your moronic idea that there are two definitions.
Already provided. See websters, new definition and "full definition" as well as other sources.
Homosexual - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Here is another "evolving" medical definition of homosexual:
The Evolution of the Medical Definition of Homosexuality - Wit Wisdom and Courage Women s Activism in U.S. - Dashboard

So the social, political, and medical definition of homosexual / homosexuality has been under near constant flux for a century. No wonder people are confused over what is means.

Last edited:
The reality is that it doesn't matter if homosexuality is a choice or not.

The sex lives of consenting adults isn't any of your business

If homosexuality is genetic then logically so is heterosexuality, bisexuality, and every other sexual orientation.

Thats idiotic.

Again, meditate and get a boner thinking of a man, and then get back to us Miogi.
No MORON, it's not idiotic. IT IS A FACT THAT I ALREADY CITED TO. Not my fault you're too stupid to read and comprehend simple facts.
Your opinion is not a fact.

Thats idiotic.

Opinion? WTF are you talking about, ya moron?

Thats idiotic.

Your stupid as fuck opinion that you can voluntarily alter your brain as to what sex gives you a woody.

Its retarded.

Thats idiotic.

Your stupid as fuck opinion that you can voluntarily alter your brain as to what sex gives you a woody.

Its retarded.
You must be one of "those" people that need a pump to get a woody.

Thats idiotic.

Its retarded.
Thats a weird fuckin comment

Its retarded.
Thats a weird fuckin comment
Autonomic:
Autonomic nervous system - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Gray839.png

Pelvic splanchnic nerves - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Thats idiotic.

Its retarded.

If you get a woody from any action with a man you are either homosexual or have a mental problem.......straight people are revolted at the thought of having another person of the same sex messing with them sexually. It's not normal. That's why conservatives think it is not even "normal" for homosexuals, only it's different if you are homosexual.

Its retarded.

If you get a woody from any action with a man you are either homosexual or have a mental problem.......straight people are revolted at the thought of having another person of the same sex messing with them sexually. It's not normal. That's why conservatives think it is not even "normal" for homosexuals, only it's different if you are homosexual.
What is a woody caused by a vibration? Vibrosexual? ROFL you homophobes are ridiculous.

Thats idiotic.

Watch the ad hom please. I'm still watching this thread.

This has to be the most pointless thread of all time. Unless this is a mental health issue and believe it should be studied just like the human brain. However, it should be done in behind the scenes and should be funded with donations and people need to shut the fuck up about it on BOTH sides and move the fuck on.

Can I get a amen?

My case is that there is no scientific reason why homosexuality need be either genetic or a choice

Among the potential options:
  • Genetic
  • Epigenetic
  • Environmental(pre-natal)
  • Environmental(post-natal)
  • Conditioned(such as family environment or perhaps abuse)
  • 'Choice'- this option I put down as a wobbler- since homosexuality is by definition 'sexual attraction to a person of the same gender- I am doubtful anyone actually ever chooses who they are attracted to- but I do believe that people have made conscious choices to live their lives as heterosexuals or homosexuals
In addition- I also believe that humans do not necessarily fall easily in A or B- is the boy who fools around with his 14 year old best male friend once, but figures out he prefers girl a homosexual or a heterosexual?

And finally- I don't think the reason why is as important as treating people fairly. Anymore than I need to know why someone is a Christian or why someone is Jew.

Dear OffensivelyOpenMinded
I'm bumping this msg from Syriusly
I think is very helpful in spelling out different areas.
I also agree with the approach of treating people
fairly by treating LGBT as Christian or Jewish beliefs
that don't require justifying reasons.

Forum List

Back