Public Education Failing

Public education is bad, bad, bad, a danger to society....

Purge those communists teachers.... purge them....
Public Education has to be everything for everyone...it's the default position.

Public education has to be for the good of the nation. We used to have standards, concentrating on the capable and doing what was possible with for the rest. Setting the standards at rock bottom for the benefit of the dummies has dragged the whole thing down.

It seems these days that no one fails a grade whether or not they perform to standards, and I don't recall seeing remedial reading classes offered at any college in the times I attended.

Public education has to be for the good of the nation. We used to have standards, concentrating on the capable and doing what was possible with for the rest. Setting the standards at rock bottom for the benefit of the dummies has dragged the whole thing down.

It seems these days that no one fails a grade whether or not they perform to standards, and I don't recall seeing remedial reading classes offered at any college in the times I attended.
Everytime a school district tries to set a higher standard for graduation, some parent will sue to have it eliminated. Again, public schools have to be everything for everyone...and unfortunately, that includes the lowest, those who do not really raise their children....they expect schools to raise them.

Everytime a school district tries to set a higher standard for graduation, some parent will sue to have it eliminated.

Adjust the local laws that any such attempt be limited to a public referendum. After all, they are "public schools", not private tutoring services. If the parent can gain sufficient signatures the matter can be dealt with at the next election.

Provisions can be made to advise that parent as to the numerous private accommodations that can be had.

75 percent of the counties in this country are run by the Republicans

They call the shots, they find the schools
Ok, whatever. Give me some solutions for the public education failure.
Fewer mandatory exams
A willingness to accept student improvement over meeting an arbitrary threshold
More vocational and life skills
Low cost higher education
So lower the standards and cost. I agree with lower the cost. However, your unions aren't going to go along. What do we do about the unions?
Nothing wrong with unions

Otherwise we end up with Oklahoma or West Virginia
That's where we disagree. Unions are a big part of the problem in my opinion. It's against the law in Washington state for teachers to walk out during the school year, yet they did it. When the laws are ignored, there's something wrong. Unions have nothing to do with education and actually hurt education in my opinion. It's not about the teacher, it's about educating the student. Unions are never satisfied. Raising taxes on families where both parents work 12 months a year to pay for a teacher working 9 months a year and making more money is what people are angry about.

The teacher is paid for 187 days. His/her salary is divided by 12 to calculate his/her monthly salary. It is the parents who want the flexibility to have their child available for THEIR vacation when it's convenient for the parent's work schedule. During the time school IS in session, the teacher designs lessons for the most able students while trying to maintain order in a classroom filled with students who have no manners, no concept of civil behavior and some who are truly mentally ill.

Your contempt for teaching is obvious and not based on anything but your prejudices.

The problem here is the raw material more than it is the system.

This is a societal problem brought on by the inverse relationship between intelligence and procreation. Add in the general contempt for education among those who have the most children and is it any wonder why the net result is less than spectacular?

Ok, whatever. Give me some solutions for the public education failure.
Fewer mandatory exams
So lower the standards and cost. I agree with lower the cost. However, your unions aren't going to go along. What do we do about the unions?

That's where we disagree. Unions are a big part of the problem in my opinion. It's against the law in Washington state for teachers to walk out during the school year, yet they did it. When the laws are ignored, there's something wrong. Unions have nothing to do with education and actually hurt education in my opinion. It's not about the teacher, it's about educating the student. Unions are never satisfied. Raising taxes on families where both parents work 12 months a year to pay for a teacher working 9 months a year and making more money is what people are angry about.

The teacher is paid for 187 days. His/her salary is divided by 12 to calculate his/her monthly salary. It is the parents who want the flexibility to have their child available for THEIR vacation when it's convenient for the parent's work schedule. During the time school IS in session, the teacher designs lessons for the most able students while trying to maintain order in a classroom filled with students who have no manners, no concept of civil behavior and some who are truly mentally ill.

Your contempt for teaching is obvious and not based on anything but your prejudices.
My wife is a teacher's aide for special education, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Give the teachers back their authority in the classroom. Teachers are handcuffed.

I keep hearing about indoctrination yet haven't found evidence of it during my four kids public education which up here is doing very well as in most all smaller rural public schools. It's the big cities posing the problems. What are examples of indoctrination I keep hearing about? Remember all the disruptive delinquent students who bring scores down must be given an education no matter how aggregious their behaviors so I suppose every last one can be shipped to the best schools.

And their parents will not allow them to be disciplined and while they randomly pick answers on a test because of complete apathy their scores will be included.

Giving all hugely troubled kids vouchers to top schools may be a solution. Until the parent threatens to sue.

Everytime a school district tries to set a higher standard for graduation, some parent will sue to have it eliminated.

Adjust the local laws that any such attempt be limited to a public referendum. After all, they are "public schools", not private tutoring services. If the parent can gain sufficient signatures the matter can be dealt with at the next election.

Provisions can be made to advise that parent as to the numerous private accommodations that can be had.
I believe that is the way it is now...with school boards, etc. The trouble is...we are talking the same hands off parents who think of public schools as a babysitting service only.

I keep hearing about indoctrination yet haven't found evidence of it during my four kids public education which up here is doing very well as in most all smaller rural public schools. It's the big cities posing the problems. What are examples of indoctrination I keep hearing about? Remember all the disruptive delinquent students who bring scores down must be given an education no matter how aggregious their behaviors so I suppose every last one can be shipped to the best schools.
The most noticeable indoctrination I find is in sexual and gender areas. The progressive view is accepted while traditional roles of male and female are not allowed to be presented.

What I don't understand is why anti-U.S. Public school groups keep holding our schools up and comparing them to schools in Japan, Finland, Germany, etc.......they don't push to change our schools to the models of Japan, Finland, Germany, etc.

The most noticeable indoctrination I find is in sexual and gender areas. The progressive view is accepted while traditional roles of male and female are not allowed to be presented.
Afraid of losing masculinity? Want to go back to girls and boys being in different classes with the girls learning cooking and sewing?

Fewer mandatory exams

My wife is a teacher's aide for special education, so don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Give the teachers back their authority in the classroom. Teachers are handcuffed.

I am sure your WIFE knows what she is talking about, but based on the post that I was replying to, I doubt if you actually listen to her.

I am sure your WIFE knows what she is talking about, but based on the post that I was replying to, I doubt if you actually listen to her.
What exactly is it in my post that makes you doubt I know what I'm talking about?

What exactly is it in my post that makes you doubt I know what I'm talking about?

Forum List

Back