Publix Grocery Store Under Fire For Refusing to Write Pro-Trans Message On A Cake

I'm torn about this. As much as I don't agree with the Transgender agenda, a person has the right to get what they want and are willing to pay for, but at the same time it's their business.

No.....a private business should be
able to serve or not serve anyone they want...they are not slaves.

Public accommodation laws.

If Publix allows custom messages to be written on cakes then one customer cannot be denied because the employee doesn't like the message. The fact that the customer got an apology and the manager said that there was no corporate policy against writing the word "trans" on a cake is proof of that.
was the cake decorator FIRED for refusing to write in a manner that is contrary to
his ethics?

was the cake decorator FIRED for refusing to write in a manner that is contrary to
his ethics?
I don't know all I said is that he should be fired. As an employee of the corporation he agrees to comport himself to corporate standards and if he violates corporate policy then he can and should be terminated.

How does writing "Trans people deserve joy" clash with ethics?

Is it ethical to believe some people do not deserve joy?

People who get their “joy“ out of peddling hate are seriously warped. If you don’t approve of their lifestyle ignore them. Overall, though, giving the customer some icing seems best in this situation. If they want to make a fuss…protests and boycotts are allowable free speech (at least as of now),

We would like to ignore them, in fact we used to ignore them but that wasn't good enough. Now they insist on getting in our faces as often as possible.

So what? You have a policy against it and apply it to everyone right?

in that case there is no issue.

Publix had a policy of writing custom messages on cakes and an employee arbitrarily decided to break corporate policy.

The 2 situations are not analogous at all.
I was an EMPLOYEE-----the policy is my PERSONAL POLICY

We would like to ignore them, in fact we used to ignore them but that wasn't good enough. Now they insist on getting in our faces as often as possible.
How are they “getting in your face”? I’m not seeing that except in places like this.

Is it because of the controversies around women’s sports and restrooms?

Is it because they are now visibly exist? Are standing up for themselves?

I don't know all I said is that he should be fired. As an employee of the corporation he agrees to comport himself to corporate standards and if he violates corporate policy then he can and should be terminated.

How does writing "Trans people deserve joy" clash with ethics?

Is it ethical to believe some people do not deserve joy?

That is exactly what I wonder as well. It is a completely innocuous message.

They do have to abide by public accommodation laws.

This isn;t a case of a business owner refusing service. it is a case of a corporate employee violating the policy of his employer

You said "if they offer customization for anyone they have to offer it to anyone".

Who says?

If the owner/corporation says, then yes, the employee was wrong. But if the shop owner says I don't give a flip, I'll make the cakes I want to make--then okay. You don't go into indentured servitude with Big Daddy Govco because you open a business.

42 U.S.C. §2000a (a)All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

I was too valuable

there was no stated policy
Once again that was your employers' decision. And it really has no analogy to writing words on a cake or denying service when there was no company policy stating that the word "trans" could not be written on a cake.

What do you think Jesus would tell them would bring them joy, though?

Acknowledge their humanity, accept them into his fold, treat them with compassion as he has done with other outcasts.

If the answer is anything BUT "I came that they may have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10), you are wrong.
No,.

Forum List

Back