Zone1 Q for Atheists

Do you as an atheist hope you are right or wrong?

And why.
I am not an atheist. I am married to an atheist and there are many atheists in my extended family. There are some common denominators among 'my' atheists. First, they did not choose to be an atheist. It is something they recognized and owned up to about themselves. They feel they tried to believe, and belief was beyond their reach. Facing God after death? They feel the one thing they have to offer God is truth--they could not believe, but even so, they did strive to live good lives and to be considerate of others.

Right or wrong? We haven't talked about this, but my guess is that it's like hoping one is taller, thinner, not bald, etc. The reality is that they cannot believe any more than they can grow taller, lose more weight, grow more hair. They live with what they have and who they are.

I am not an atheist. I am married to an atheist and there are many atheists in my extended family. There are some common denominators among 'my' atheists. First, they did not choose to be an atheist. It is something they recognized and owned up to about themselves. They feel they tried to believe, and belief was beyond their reach. Facing God after death? They feel the one thing they have to offer God is truth--they could not believe, but even so, they did strive to live good lives and to be considerate of others.

Right or wrong? We haven't talked about this, but my guess is that it's like hoping one is taller, thinner, not bald, etc. The reality is that they cannot believe any more than they can grow taller, lose more weight, grow more hair. They live with what they have and who they are.
But does he wish he was wrong?

Garbage! I'm sure you think gays are born that way too. Environment is the key to most of it. No teaching of faith in God, then they will turn out with no faith in God. When something terrible happens in their lives, they blamed God and stopped believing in him because the really don't understand what life is for. I've found you don't really understand our purpose on Earth either.

Garbage! I'm sure you think gays are born that way too. Environment is the key to most of it. No teaching of faith in God, then they will turn out with no faith in God. When something terrible happens in their lives, they blamed God and stopped believing in him because the really don't understand what life is for. I've found you don't really understand our purpose on Earth either.
Try not to assume atheists are born "that way", and definitely don't assume the atheists in my family had no training in faith. All of us seek God in our lives. This includes all those who grew up and had years of schooling in faith--and those not as much. No, atheists don't blame God as they hold no belief God exists. It makes sense for people of faith to blame God, but not atheists.

What do understand about our purpose on Earth?

there is no difference, the heavenly goal to free ones spirit - the triumph over evil for admission to the everlasting is the same for everyone ... or simply perish.

Try not to assume atheists are born "that way", and definitely don't assume the atheists in my family had no training in faith. All of us seek God in our lives. This includes all those who grew up and had years of schooling in faith--and those not as much. No, atheists don't blame God as they hold no belief God exists. It makes sense for people of faith to blame God, but not atheists.

What do understand about our purpose on Earth?
WOW! You really don't understand what people go through when they reject God after a death or some other bad experience. Yes, they reject the entire idea of God. The longer they stay in this condition, the harder it is to ever reach them because life got easier after their trauma. Much like someone changing their mental state of being a girl to being a boy or vice versa. In the Bible, it's called a reprobate mind. We become what we think.

WOW! You really don't understand what people go through when they reject God after a death or some other bad experience. Yes, they reject the entire idea of God. The longer they stay in this condition, the harder it is to ever reach them because life got easier after their trauma. Much like someone changing their mental state of being a girl to being a boy or vice versa. In the Bible, it's called a reprobate mind. We become what we think.
I wasn't speaking of people who reject God. I was speaking of people in my family who never believed. Perhaps you know people who reject God because of death?

I wasn't speaking of people who reject God. I was speaking of people in my family who never believed. Perhaps you know people who reject God because of death?
Tons of people have gone through this. It's the "If there's a God, why do bad things happen to good people" thing.

Do you as an atheist hope you are right or wrong?

And why.
It's a fascinating question. Would I want to live forever if I could? I mean, that's what I'm taking as the core of your question.

I'll drop this. Not necessarily an answer, but a beautiful rephrasing of the question.

Last edited:
Yet it doesn't pertain to the atheists in my family.
Some people simply need empirical proof. But, if you dig deeper with them, there may be something in the past that took them down this faithless path. Don't be too quick to think otherwise, You may miss a great opportunity to show them faith.

Some people simply need empirical proof. But, if you dig deeper with them, there may be something in the past that took them down this faithless path. Don't be too quick to think otherwise, You may miss a great opportunity to show them faith.
I'm guessing you mean well, and I'll take it in that spirit even though I couldn't be more exasperated with the above post. Think about it.

Tons of people have gone through this. It's the "If there's a God, why do bad things happen to good people" thing.
Praying.

Do you 'Pray for People'

Does Praying work?
At what %, or does the fact that someone Prays for Someone Else justifies their Faith.

IMO, Praying works 0% of the Time.

I'm guessing you mean well, and I'll take it in that spirit even though I couldn't be more exasperated with the above post. Think about it.
I think it was a positive post. You may be in the position that at some point, you will reach them and show them the way to faith in God

Praying.

Do you 'Pray for People'

Does Praying work?
At what %, or does the fact that someone Prays for Someone Else justifies their Faith.

IMO, Praying works 0% of the Time.
Praying works 100% of the time. It’s just that you reject God’s answer 100% of the time. Where is it stated that prayers must be answered the way you want them answered a 100% of the time?

Praying works 100% of the time. It’s just that you reject God’s answer 100% of the time. Where is it stated that prayers must be answered the way you want them answered a 100% of the time?
Makes ZERO sense what you just tried to defend.

If praying works 100% of the time, then the 'success' or the 'desired outcome' of that prayer.......what....doesn't really matter?

Forum List

Back