Qualified immunity ends in NY.

I understand the reasoning and concept behind this, but it will make it that much harder to draw people to want a career in LE.

JMO

Your argument is that we can't have police unless we are willing to allow them to violate people's civil rights. I completely disagree.

Never said we cannot have police.

I’m just pointing out the potential cause and effect of such a policy.

Yes the cops now will care.

Actually, no they won't......they will sit in there cars until they actually get a call...and they will be in no hurry to get to the call while the criminal is on the scene......any confrontation is an automatic law suit now, no matter what the criminals is doing......so.....I hope you guys like rape, robbery and murder.......

Again you are arguing that the police will refuse to do their job unless they are free to violate people's civil rights.

If so, Whatever but that isn't going to be what happens.

If a trucker makes a mistake he is sued. If a doctor makes a mistake he is sued. If anyone except a cop screws up they are sued. Why is it so disastrous to hold cops to the same standards that every other person faces?

So help me out. Explain why it is so unfair and outrageous to be able to hold a cop liable for his actions?

cops are not above the law.
So you would rather do everything to hamstring them from doing their frigging job?

wow - you got THAT outa what i said? silly comprehension deficient *you*.

believe it or not - some cops fuck up & knowingly go beyond what is standard procedure & they shouldn't have the cloak of that 'immunity' to give them permission to do it.
So you support criminals, gotcha.

The cops only focus on Italian thugs in nyc and just leave blacks with the “ keys to the amusement park “

There will be no room for a decent honest cop in NYC. This is just where cartels and organized crime take over. Plata o plomo. File a complaint and your head gets delivered to your family.
download.jpeg

I understand the reasoning and concept behind this, but it will make it that much harder to draw people to want a career in LE.

JMO

Your argument is that we can't have police unless we are willing to allow them to violate people's civil rights. I completely disagree.
How is that? Police can be prosecuted for violating the law, and if someone's rights are violated they can sue....at the very least if they violate someone's rights, such as an illegal search, the evidence is excluded from any prosecution of them.

So, not sure how you get to this conclusion

Police are instructed in not violating a person's civil rights. They aren't all that concerned because in the past nothing happened to them.

In some cases the taxpayers would get sued. Now the cop can be sued. Now they are going to care.
And there are simple ways for sworn officers to not be sued:

Stop trying to force detainees to ‘comply.’

Stop trying to subdue detainees by forcing them to the ground.

Stop trying to pursue detainees who escape custody.

Most situations involving detainees don’t pose a threat to sworn officers or the general public – until bad decision-making by sworn officers cause the situation to become needlessly dangerous.

I can't imagine a cop who would do anything other than answer a dispatch, take a look, then leave.

If a trucker makes a mistake he is sued. If a doctor makes a mistake he is sued. If anyone except a cop screws up they are sued. Why is it so disastrous to hold cops to the same standards that every other person faces?

So help me out. Explain why it is so unfair and outrageous to be able to hold a cop liable for his actions?

Yeah, good idea. Try to get anyone to be a cop in a democrat City with that

Oh yeah...way to go NEW YORK---------watch your city's crime rate soar------------------never mind all of you and your families becoming victims of criminals.

No wonder all the new yorkers are moving to florida.

Stop this stupid chit-------------govern with some common sense---We in florida don't want any more new yorkers.

Qualified immunity SHOULD be eliminated. It was a license for bad cops to abuse people.

Oh yeah...way to go NEW YORK---------watch your city's crime rate soar------------------never mind all of you and your families becoming victims of criminals.

No wonder all the new yorkers are moving to florida.

Stop this stupid chit-------------govern with some common sense---We in florida don't want any more new yorkers.

Qualified immunity SHOULD be eliminated. It was a license for bad cops to abuse people.

But not just for police officers, for all government officials.

Ending qualified immunity will also have the desired effect of eliminating the propensity of sworn officers to engage in needless, reckless, and irresponsible detention, pursuit, and subjugation of citizens which often result in the death of those in police custody.
Certain groups routinely need a good ass whooping. The local police is the perfect group to deliver those ass whoopings.

Forum List

Back