Qualified immunity ends in NY.

I understand the reasoning and concept behind this, but it will make it that much harder to draw people to want a career in LE.

JMO
from the link:
'''''Rooted in our nation's history of systemic racism, qualified immunity denied Freedom Riders justice and has been used to deny justice to victims of police abuse for decades.''''
'= total bullshit

..did you not read my previous post?

Just the beginning of actual police reform. At some point the Supreme Court should be ruling the same. Then we are a step closer to the police no longer being above the law.

The protests have made a difference.

New York Becomes First State to End Lawsuit Protections for Police Officers
Ending qualified immunity will also have the desired effect of eliminating the propensity of sworn officers to engage in needless, reckless, and irresponsible detention, pursuit, and subjugation of citizens which often result in the death of those in police custody.

I understand the reasoning and concept behind this, but it will make it that much harder to draw people to want a career in LE.

JMO

Your argument is that we can't have police unless we are willing to allow them to violate people's civil rights. I completely disagree.
How is that? Police can be prosecuted for violating the law, and if someone's rights are violated they can sue....at the very least if they violate someone's rights, such as an illegal search, the evidence is excluded from any prosecution of them.

So, not sure how you get to this conclusion

Police are instructed in not violating a person's civil rights. They aren't all that concerned because in the past nothing happened to them.

In some cases the taxpayers would get sued. Now the cop can be sued. Now they are going to care.

JMO

Your argument is that we can't have police unless we are willing to allow them to violate people's civil rights. I completely disagree.

Never said we cannot have police.

I’m just pointing out the potential cause and effect of such a policy.

Yes the cops now will care.

Just the beginning of actual police reform. At some point the Supreme Court should be ruling the same. Then we are a step closer to the police no longer being above the law.

Ending qualified immunity will also have the desired effect of eliminating the propensity of sworn officers to engage in needless, reckless, and irresponsible detention, pursuit, and subjugation of citizens which often result in the death of those in police custody.
which rarely happens--like I said, this means really nothing

All they did was make sure cops stay in their cars instead of actively searching for criminals.......

Good for them if they do. Stay in your cars, respond after the rape, robbery and murder, fill out the paperwork and collect a good pension........let the morons who attack the police suffer the crime and violence....they wanted it, now let them have it....

Oh yeah...way to go NEW YORK---------watch your city's crime rate soar------------------never mind all of you and your families becoming victims of criminals.

No wonder all the new yorkers are moving to florida.

Stop this stupid chit-------------govern with some common sense---We in florida don't want any more new yorkers.

They are in...fucking.....sane.....................

Long before radio host Michael Savage wrote his book, "liberalism is a mental disorder," I had come to that conclusion and I believe if completely.....they are insane........they don't understand truth, facts or reality, and would rather let the cities, states and this country burn to the ground, so that they can rule of the ashes....

JMO

Correct, and by that same line of reasoning less people will likely join LE. Very few people are going to want the job if being sued personally becomes that much easier.

Last edited:

So you can both get shot and sued !! All this for $70,000 salary or less .
If I was a cop in nyc .it would be moving time

A friend of mine from high school is retired NYPD, and it was a proud day when his son followed in his footsteps.

The son's last day on the job was yesterday, in no small part because of this. He'll be moving back out to Long Island and joining the Suffolk County Police Department.

This is just another example of New York City going into the toilet. Giuliani came in and made it a vibrant, relatively safe place to be. Bloomberg and de Blasio have fucked the city back up again...

JMO

No.....the point being made is that criminals have every incentive to falsely accuse the police in order to get a check.........and this opens the flood gate.....cops will now have to justify every single action they take against the people who are the cause of the very crime people complain about.......

I have a relative who is a cop.........they get a call to a bar. A guy at the bar....getting drunk....a softball team comes in. He starts a problem with the players, and knocks the hat off of one of the team.....they kick the shit out of him.

My relative and another cop respond...they take the guy outside and start to ask what happened.....he starts his story and then says it's great they are there...but he is glad no black cops showed up because he hates blacks....they tell him to be quiet, and just stick to what happened inside.........and.....he won't leave it alone.....and then one of the black officers shows up at the scene......and he goes off on a racist rant against the officer to the point they arrest him for disturbing the peace....as he lost control.......

He then sued the police involved, claiming they beat him up, when, in fact, the soft ball team kicked the crap out of him.....

The guy sued the town, and got about 10 grand in a settlement .........for his arrest..........it is easier for a town to pay jerks like this than to drag it through the courts..................

Last edited:

JMO

Actually, no they won't......they will sit in there cars until they actually get a call...and they will be in no hurry to get to the call while the criminal is on the scene......any confrontation is an automatic law suit now, no matter what the criminals is doing......so.....I hope you guys like rape, robbery and murder.......

cops are not above the law.
So you would rather do everything to hamstring them from doing their frigging job?

wow - you got THAT outa what i said? silly comprehension deficient *you*.

believe it or not - some cops fuck up & knowingly go beyond what is standard procedure & they shouldn't have the cloak of that 'immunity' to give them permission to do it.

Forum List

Back