Question about Ted Cruz

I bet it's pretty easy to find a copy of Cruz's birth certificate. Low information radical lefties who rely on Huffington and Media Matters for information might be shocked to find that former republican presidential candidate John McCain wasn't born in the USA either.

No there is a Ted Cruz birth certificate, but I'm asking that as he was born in Canada, how can he run for President.

Who was that Canada-born woman who was Governor of Michigan and they said that she couldn't run for Higher Office ie. President or Vice-President as she was born outside the United States.

McCain was born on Coco Solo Naval Air Station in the Panama Canal Zone, at the time of McCain's birth, the Panama Canal was still under US Control, therefore that's considered United States soil, the Naval Air Station.

*sigh* Her name was Jennifer Granholm, and the operative point is not that she was born in Canada, but that she was born to two parents who were not US citizens and had not even lived in the US. Both her grandfathers apparently immigrated to Canada from Scandinavian countries, started families in Canada, and then her parents moved their family to California when Jennifer was four.

On the Meaning of “Natural Born Citizen”
Being Canadian I'm a little pissed Cruz dropped his Canadian citizenship, he might have a shot at the nomination and it would have been cool to have a Canadian US president. So.....From Forbes;

"According to the State Department—

“Birth Abroad to Two U.S. Citizen Parents in Wedlock

A child born abroad to two U.S. citizen parents acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under section 301(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provided that one of the parents had a residence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions prior to the child’s birth. The child is considered to be born in wedlock if the child is the genetic issue of the married couple.”

It would thus appear that for Senator Cruz to qualify as a natural-born citizen under this paragraph, (a) both of his parents would need to be U.S. citizens at the time of birth; and (b) one of the parents had a residence in the US at the time of birth.

Senator Cruz’s mother was clearly an American citizen—having been born in Delaware—at the time she gave birth to her son. However, Mr. Cruz’s father was a Cuban immigrant who, according to a statement issued this week by Cruz’s spokesman, was not an American citizen prior to his taking his wife to Canada to work in the oil business.

Thus, under this definition, it would appear that an argument could be successfully made that Senator Cruz is not a natural-born U.S. citizen."

I bet it's pretty easy to find a copy of Cruz's birth certificate. Low information radical lefties who rely on Huffington and Media Matters for information might be shocked to find that former republican presidential candidate John McCain wasn't born in the USA either.

Military installations are considered U.S. soil. Those born in U.S. territories (e.g., Panama) are U.S. citizens. Both apply to John McCain.

And what if the mother happens to be off the base shopping or something when she goes into labor? She gets taken to the local hospital instead of back to the base. And now we're really going to deny her kid citizenship? Don't be absurd.

Yes, it's time for you Liberal uneducated and low information folks to begin your smear campaign against Ted now that he is leading in a couple of the polls. That is what you loons do, smear attack whoever in the opposition party is the current leader. You are so predictable and so damned pathetic.

Except I'm not a Liberal nor on the Left, I'm on the Right.

Uneducated? Yes that's why I've got a History and Politics degree from Balliol College, Oxford University and also did a year at Heidelberg University, Germany.

Gosh you're very hyper-sensitive aren't you? Are YOU actually Ted Cruz himself or a relative of his? You've taken a normal questions exceptionally personally.

And yet you are unable to do a simple search on the net? You need to get a refund on your education.

The U.S. Constitution provides as follows:

Article II Section 1 Clause 5:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Amendment XIV Section 1:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

Ted Cruz became 100% naturalised in May 2014, last year and within MONTHS he was running for President. This is a man in his 40s, not a teenager....seems odd he didn't renounce his Canadian citizenship decades ago.

Ted Cruz became 100% naturalized

Before then he was partially naturalized?

Yes, it says he renounced his Canadian citizenship in May, 2014....I've lost the link now, I'll post it on.

So what? You never heard of dual citizenship?

The Natural Born Citizen Clause.

Ted Cruz was born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, he's not a natural born United States citizen. His mother is American, his father a Cuban immigrant at the time of Ted's birth. This parentage doesn't matter, what matters is that Cruz was born outside of the United States and not on US soil or somewhere considered US soil, such an a military base etc.

Cruz only ceased to be a Canadian citizen on May 14th, 2014.

I know that Senators, Congresspeople and Governor's can be non-United States born. However for the office of President and Vice-President only United States born people are eligible.

So the question is, how is Cruz being allowed to run for President?

Yes, it's time for you Liberal uneducated and low information folks to begin your smear campaign against Ted now that he is leading in a couple of the polls. That is what you loons do, smear attack whoever in the opposition party is the current leader. You are so predictable and so damned pathetic.

Uneducated? Yes that's why I've got a History and Politics degree from Balliol College, Oxford University and also did a year at Heidelberg University, Germany.

Gosh you're very hyper-sensitive aren't you? Are YOU actually Ted Cruz himself or a relative of his? You've taken a normal questions exceptionally personally.

Lucy, I'm thinking you might want to take a few classes in AMERICAN politics to, you know, broaden your info base.

And there's this jerk -

12243066_1000895133336874_1976741180202231747_n.jpg

Which in no way means our refugee policy right now isn't seriously fucked up.

Ted Cruz was born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, he's not a natural born United States citizen. His mother is American, his father a Cuban immigrant at the time of Ted's birth. This parentage doesn't matter, what matters is that Cruz was born outside of the United States and not on US soil or somewhere considered US soil, such an a military base etc.

I know that Senators, Congresspeople and Governor's can be non-United States born. However for the office of President and Vice-President only United States born people are eligible.

Your basic premise is incorrect.

He could be born anywhere on the planet and still be a citizen.

But according to the US Constitution NOT be eligible to be President or Vice-President.

Really? Where does the US Constitution define the term "natural-born citizen", let alone state that it means ONLY people whose mothers are actually standing - okay, lying - on US dirt when they pop?

Cruz the constitutional scholar doesn't know he's not eligible to run for president. It's amazing what these Libtards waste time and space with.

His numbers are rising, the libnits are restless and will go rabid

It amazes me that the US Supreme Court is actually going to have to take time out of their schedule that could be used for issues that are ACTUALLY complicated to rule on this simply because the entire nation is filled with people who have all the depth of thought of your average mud puddle.

And yet you are unable to do a simple search on the net? You need to get a refund on your education.

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Amendment XIV Section 1:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

Ted Cruz became 100% naturalised in May 2014, last year and within MONTHS he was running for President. This is a man in his 40s, not a teenager....seems odd he didn't renounce his Canadian citizenship decades ago.

Yes, it says he renounced his Canadian citizenship in May, 2014....I've lost the link now, I'll post it on.

Ted Cruz must show naturalisation papers to keep US Senate seat.

Read the FULL article, it's all in there, the full story of his birth, his parents, his only renouncing his Canadian citizenship in 2014:

Ted Cruz must show naturalization papers to keep his US Senate seat

Piss off, loser. She asked a polite question, and you need to contain your glee at having lucked into a correct answer for once in your miserable excuse for a life.

Amendment XIV Section 1:

Read the FULL article, it's all in there, the full story of his birth, his parents, his only renouncing his Canadian citizenship in 2014:

LOL!

He was born to a citizen parent. End of discussion. She can be in anywhere from angola to zanzibar to anyplace in between. He was born to her
My niece is such a citizen, but I think she naturalized under those rules you mention. Something like this:

Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad

The constitution calls for natural born Americans (not naturalized). I have a problem with the fact he was Canadian all the way up til last year, moreover. He was no baby last year.

Did you even read your own link, Mensa Boy?

First sentence after the header:

A child born abroad to two U.S. citizen parents acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under section 301(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) provided that one of the parents had a residence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions prior to the child’s birth.

First sentence after the second header:

A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) of the INA provided the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for the time period required by the law applicable at the time of the child's birth.

I don't know which one applies to your niece, but the last one applies to Cruz.

If your niece had to acquire citizenship, then that means she and/or her parents did not meet the requirements in some fashion. It's possible what she ACTUALLY had to aquire was legal recognition (ie. paperwork proof) of her citizenship. My brother-in-law was born in a hospital in Japan while my father-in-law was stationed there in the Air Force. He was a citizen at birth, but that didn't mean there wasn't paperwork to wade through to make sure everyone knew it.

Piss off, loser. She asked a polite question, and you need to contain your glee at having lucked into a correct answer for once in your miserable excuse for a life.

However, they don't seem to be correct....I just posted the link, as to what originally lead me to post the OP.

Calm down, I think he's just poking a stick in the eye of hypocritical "birthers" who expended so much hot air claiming Obama was not eligible to be prez.

Except that Lucy Hamilton IS a hypocritical birther.

I think you're a secret Ted Cruz fan! Come on, you're just pretending to be a Leftie! You've got a bit upset about Cruz....it's okay, there's nothing to be ashamed of, you love Cruz really, be proud :wink:

Amendment XIV Section 1:

Leaving aside whether or not I consider the Examiner to be gospel fact, the operative sentence is the one BEFORE the quote about renouncing his Canadian citizenship in 2014:

Since the certificate only lists his parents place of birth and not their citizenship status, it has just merely been assumed that his mother retained her US citizenship since her birth.

Because Cruz would have to have had his citizenship conveyed upon him at birth by his citizen parent - in this case, his mother - it would be necessary for her to have actually BEEN a US citizen. If, at some point, she renounced her US citizenship and became a Canadian citizen instead, then she wouldn't be able to convey citizenship to her son.

However, the Examiner - not being a bastion of high journalistic or even English standards, apparently - does a bad job of really noting the OTHER operative point: if they exist. If Ted Cruz is a citizen at birth because his mother retained her US citizenship, then he was never naturalized, and there would be no naturalization papers to see. One assumes that, as in the example I gave in an earlier post of my brother-in-law, there is a paper trail somewhere of him ESTABLISHING his citizenship officially (ie. making it possible for him to be able to prove that he was born a citizen), but that's not the same thing.

Just FYI, you might want to be more careful what sources you rely on in the future.

Amendment XIV Section 1:

So what? You never heard of dual citizenship?

Of course yes.

As I commented, Cruz didn't naturalise until May, 2014.
Wrong.

You're wrong:

"It was not until May of 2014 that Senator Cruz filed the legal paperwork necessary to officially renounce his Canadian citizenship which was automatic at birth."

His Mother might also have become a Canadian citizen PRIOR to Ted's birth:

Well, then, it seems the burden of proof falls on his accusers to prove that his mother renounced her US citizenship, since it's hardly fair - or possible - to expect Mr. Cruz to prove a negative.

However, they don't seem to be correct....I just posted the link, as to what originally lead me to post the OP.

You posted a link to the Examiner. It's not quite as bad on the "conclusive proof" scale as linking to the National Enquirer or the Weekly World News, but it ain't linking to the NY Times (well, provided the byline doesn't read "Jayson Blair") or Forbes magazine or something like that, either.

Amendment XIV Section 1:

Leaving aside whether or not I consider the Examiner to be gospel fact, the operative sentence is the one BEFORE the quote about renouncing his Canadian citizenship in 2014:

Since the certificate only lists his parents place of birth and not their citizenship status, it has just merely been assumed that his mother retained her US citizenship since her birth.

Because Cruz would have to have had his citizenship conveyed upon him at birth by his citizen parent - in this case, his mother - it would be necessary for her to have actually BEEN a US citizen. If, at some point, she renounced her US citizenship and became a Canadian citizen instead, then she wouldn't be able to convey citizenship to her son.

However, the Examiner - not being a bastion of high journalistic or even English standards, apparently - does a bad job of really noting the OTHER operative point: if they exist. If Ted Cruz is a citizen at birth because his mother retained her US citizenship, then he was never naturalized, and there would be no naturalization papers to see. One assumes that, as in the example I gave in an earlier post of my brother-in-law, there is a paper trail somewhere of him ESTABLISHING his citizenship officially (ie. making it possible for him to be able to prove that he was born a citizen), but that's not the same thing.

Just FYI, you might want to be more careful what sources you rely on in the future.

Well I've never become aware of the Examiner previously, quite a bit of whats in the story is available elsewhere, I used their article because they mostly have everything all in one large article.

Forum List

Back