Question for devout Christians.

On top of reading the Bible, I suggest you read the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price.

no, the Bible is all you need, just as it says.

Can you provide me with the verse where the Bible says that it is all you need?

What is the doctrine of the sufficiency of Scripture?
mp3speaker.svg

Question: "What is the doctrine of the sufficiency of Scripture? What does it mean that the Bible is sufficient?"

Answer:
The doctrine of the sufficiency of Scripture is a fundamental tenet of the Christian faith. To say the Scriptures are sufficient means that the Bible is all we need to equip us for a life of faith and service. It provides a clear demonstration of God’s intention to restore the broken relationship between Himself and humanity through His Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior through the gift of faith. No other writings are necessary for this good news to be understood, nor are any other writings required to equip us for a life of faith.

When discussing Scripture, Christians are referring to both Old and New Testaments. The apostle Paul declared that the holy Scriptures “are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:15–17). If Scripture is “God-breathed,” then it is not man-breathed, and, although it was penned by men, those “men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit” (2 Peter 1:21). No man-made writing is sufficient to equip us for every good work; only the Word of God can do that. Furthermore, if the Scriptures are sufficient to thoroughly equip us, then nothing more is needed.

Colossians 2 deals with the dangers a church faces when the sufficiency of Scripture is challenged and merged with non-biblical writings, full of ungodly theology and concepts. Paul warned the church at Colosse: “See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ” (Colossians 2:8). Jude says it even more specifically when he writes, “Although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints” (Jude 1:3). Notice the phrase “once and for all.” This makes it clear that no other writings, no matter how godly the pastor, theologian, or denominational church they may come from, are to be seen as equal to or completing the Word of God. The Bible is all that is necessary for the believer to understand the character of God, the nature of man, and the doctrines of sin, heaven, hell, and salvation through Jesus Christ. Paul’s words to the Galatians indicate the seriousness of delivering a message outside the Bible: “If we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!” (Galatians 1:8).

Perhaps the strongest verses on the issue of the sufficiency of the Bible come from the book of Psalms. In Psalm 19:7–14, David rejoices in God’s Word, declaring it to be perfect, trustworthy, right, radiant, enlightening, sure and altogether righteous.

The sufficiency of Scripture is under attack today, and, sadly, that attack comes far too often in our own churches. Management techniques, worldly methods of drawing crowds, entertainment, extra-biblical revelations, mysticism, and some forms of psychological counseling all declare that the Bible and its precepts are not adequate for the Christian life. But Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me” (John 10:27). His voice is all we need to hear and the Scriptures are His voice, completely and utterly sufficient.

What is the doctrine of the sufficiency of Scripture? What does it mean that the Bible is sufficient?

I am curious who came out with this "Doctrine of the Sufficiency of Scripture"?

2 Timothy 3:17-15
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

It is interesting that you equate The Bible and the Bible only with what this verse calls scripture. So would that mean that there is no more inspiration from God? Certainly God still can and does inspire man. Paul, the author of 2 Timothy likely died between 60 and 70 AD. Are you suggesting that the Bible was compiled and competed at this time? Or was Paul able to preach the Gospel from hearing the word and then preaching based on what he had access to and the inspiration he received? If so, then the Bible wasn't all that Paul needed.

2 Peter 1:21
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

This verse tells us that the prophecies of the Old Testament came about by men being moved by the Holy Ghost. This was the source of inspiration to the prophets of old. When Apostle Peter taught that all should receive baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 2:38
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Why would the Holy Ghost be necessary if all we needed was the Scriptures contained in the Bible? The Holy Ghost was the source of inspiration to prophets of old who spake and wrote the word of God based on this inspiration. Peter is saying that we all need the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Colossians 2:8
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Deception has always existed but so has the inspiration of Almighty God. If a person is moved upon by the Holy Ghost, and speaks the will of God, this should not be taken to be a philosophy or deception of man. It should be considered the word of God.

Jude 1:3
3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

I don't read this as a "once and for all" statement. Jude is telling us that we should contend for the faith that was once established among the saints. In other words, we should strive to be faithful to the message of the common salvation that has been taught already. Not that it will never be written about or taught again.

Galatians 1:8
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Certainly you would be able to tell if the gospel was different or contradicted other gospel principles that has be taught. But this is restricted to those who are on this earth and angels from heaven. This is not a restriction upon God himself who is able to reveal new revelation and knowledge that has never been revealed.

God has in days of old scattered much of the house of Israel and later around 70 AD he scattered the Jews. These peoples were separated from each other and may have been led away by the inspiration of God. For God to communicate with these various peoples he would need to give then revelation and inspiration. Whose to say that other books of scripture were not written by prophets and kept among these peoples. God has never pronounced that he has given us all that he will ever give us by way of inspiration and revelation.

Psalms 19:17-14
7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.

8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.

9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.

10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.

12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.

13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

We have this declaration in the Old Testament yet inspiration and revelation went on from the days of the Psalmist and much has been added which has made up the Holy Bible we have today. This makes my point. Just because we have a great deal of revealed scripture, this does not prohibit God from inspiring and revealing his will to others all the way back to Adam and forward in time to the ends of this earth. God's hands are not tied nor has he stated that his will, inspiration, and revelations have ceased.

John 10:27
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

The voice of God comes by inspiration of the Holy Ghost. It can also come by reading scriptures (anything that God has revealed unto man). The spirit of discernment when reading is necessary to distinguish false doctrine from true doctrine. But God has not tied his hands and continues to guide his children by means of inspiration and revelation. It is through the gift of the Holy Ghost that we can know the truth of all things.

John 16:12-15
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Okay, by that I mean 100% practicing, love it 24/7/365 period. If you are there when a person is borne again, what chapters and verses do you recommend they read to get started, what do you recommend when they come a little further and why do you recommend them? What about them made such an impression that you would recommend them? Thanks.

If none of the verses help convert them to Christianity, try food.

Chritian-Bacon-copy.jpg

Thus proving once and for all that Christianity is the superior religion.

Okay, by that I mean 100% practicing, love it 24/7/365 period. If you are there when a person is borne again, what chapters and verses do you recommend they read to get started, what do you recommend when they come a little further and why do you recommend them? What about them made such an impression that you would recommend them? Thanks.

If they are a parent, this verse might turn them into Christians.

Proverbs 30:17 “The eye that mocketh at his father, and despiseth to obey his mother, the ravens of the valley shall pick it out, and the young eagles shall eat it.”

I recommend them hanging it on their walls for their children to look at every day even if they don't convert.

Forum List

Back