🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Question I've Always Wondered: Why is the Left So Adamant about Abortion Remaining Legal?

Nonetheless, the United States has long reported high levels of unplanned pregnancy and very uneven use of contraception. For example, even though most unmarried women in their 20s say they don’t want to get pregnant and despite the availability of many forms of birth control— including some that are highly effective—only half of those who are sexually active report using reliable contraception consistently. Unplanned pregnancy is nearly 100 percent preventable

Your "Power to Decide" statistics are incorrect and designed to promote a point of view that just isn't working, and completely ignores the reasons WHY women chose abortion:

aps_finals_demographics.jpg

It is the tenant of both parties, they might only differ on which parts they want to control.

I think that the stance of the 'pro-life" folks take after the baby exits the womb shows they do not really care about it at all.
Some people assume that pro-life folks don't care for the baby after birth because many pro-life people oppose government welfare programs. They don't see that many pro-life people support private charities set up to support these children and parents.

I get both sides of this issue. Its COMPLETELY subjective. Some see it as murder, some dont.
I dont see it as murder, per se, buuut i still find the practice a complete abomination.
But i think govt force is worse. Wayyy worse.
Fair enough.

God gave women that choice, but the US government would take it away.

God did no such thing. A woman can also decide to kill her husband but that is far from a right given by God. She can also decide to kill herself, another example of a right far from God.

I get both sides of this issue. Its COMPLETELY subjective. Some see it as murder, some dont.
I dont see it as murder, per se, buuut i still find the practice a complete abomination.
But i think govt force is worse. Wayyy worse.
I don’t get why anyone would kill an innocent life. You saying you get it is sad!

Doctors make MORE money when a woman carries the child to term and delivers the baby in hospital. Thousands, versus hundreds.

Abortion rights are important to poor people with no insurance, who can ill afford to bear and raise another child. 75% of abortions are related to the financial circumstances of the woman and her family.

Abortion doesn't devalue human life. Abortion has existed since the beginning of time because there are times throughout history when a woman is in no position to have a baby. During times of famine or war, or migration, the chances of both mother and child surviving were slim and none. But a woman on her own might survive.

God gave women that choice, but the US government would take it away.
I agree with all but your last sentence. I agree that God gave women the knowledge and means to have abortions. But laws given by God are NOT legally binding unless codified into the Const or unless the Const gives govt the power to make them. Neither Liberty nor abortion are explicitly listed as rights in the const. And abortion after quickening was illegal in some parts of the US when the Const was written and ratified.

Ironically, Ireland is actually more liberal now than the US in a right to abortion, but they amended their constitution after a bitter political fight, in which the catholic church was a loser. I don't think that with money in politics its possible to amend the const today, but just given that women are a majority and a supermaj of women believe there should be a right, or avaiablity, to an abortion in the early term .... imo this is an issue that "the conservative party" will rue "recreating." (-:

Unfortunately it will destroy the legitimacy the Sup Ct once earned in public opinion. We are not going to look at the Court as being an institution that we could trust to act apolitically even if we disagreed with the result. With Thomas and the three newest judges, it's as political as congress.

It's an wedge issue that both sides have used for years to drive the voters to the polls.

They could have made Roe v Wade a federal issue and we would not be in this position had Congress done it's job way back in 1973.

Now here is where we are. The left and right are terrible at the games they play.

Roe vs Wade was not a partisan issue when it was announced in 1973. Even the religious community largely agreed with it. It was Paul Weyrich who decided to make it into a partisan issue. Given the make-up of this Supreme Court, they may well have declared it unconstitutional. The Supreme Court has dismantled federal voting rights bills despite the fact that the Constitution explicitly states that the Congress has the power to regulate federal elections.

It's because the left aren't trying to run people's lives with the bible. It's not the same thing you all think it is. You think that each fetus lives only one life then goes to heaven or hell. The rest of us think otherwise, like myself, I see the soul being eternal and using several vessels (bodies) through time. So an abortion is a nothingburger to me.
There is no question to it. Every "Fetus" that is aborted goes directly to Heaven since he (she) never had the chance to accept or reject Jesus as Lord and savior. That also applies to a baby or anyone who dies before reaching accountability.

I agree. It is the solution.

They are picky is normally why
But even assuming it is constitutional to ban all abortions regardless of term or pregnancy or rape or incest .... seriously, what is the govt's interest in banning the morning after pill? A law HAS TO BE rationally related to a legit govt interest. What is the govt's interest when a woman had too much to drink one night and had unprotected sex, so she wants to use chemicals/hormones to prevent the possibility that even if an egg possibly got fertilized it attaches in the uterus and is not expelled as often occurs in nature?

Forum List

Back