Question to Muslims: Do you know how Mercury was worshiped during the Jahilliyah?

rylah

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2015
Jahilliyah - "period of ignorance"
term referring to the times predating Islam in Arabia.

I've read about this,
but this is the first time seeing a picture,
to realize this is a whole site they've dedicated...

How do Muslim scholars, if at all,
approach this ceremony?

Last edited:
Do you know how Mercury was worshiped during the Jahilliyyah?

I've read about this,
but this is the first time seeing a picture,
to realize this is a whole site they've dedicated...

How do Muslim scholars, if at all,
approach this ceremony?

I don't know anything specific but every new religion co-opts what came before it. Christmas is a good example of a pagan festival made Christian.

I don't know anything specific but every new religion co-opts what came before it. Christmas is a good example of a pagan festival made Christian.

Anyone with monotheistic eyes sees that in Christianity,
it's quiet openly a worship of human deity.

Not so for Islam that carries the banner of "BIGGEST GOD"
and brands itself as true monotheism- while keep Mercury practice on a dedicated altar?

:dunno:

Last edited:

and brands itself as true monotheism- while keep Mercury practice on a dedicated altar?

I'm not a believer but I did recently read about ancient Egypt and was quite surprised at how many Egyptian religious practices predate similar Jewish ones. As I said, every religion selectively takes from what came before it.

I'm not a believer but I did recently read about ancient Egypt and was quite surprised at how many Egyptian religious practices predate similar Jewish ones. As I said, every religion selectively takes from what came before it.

Indeed, and the Tefillin is the Hebrew version of Pharaoh's royal crown,
and we eat lamb to commemorate how slaves abused Egypt into submission.

Let's take another example - do You know how Croissant came into existence?
When the Muslims were stopped at the gates of Vienna, the Viennese made up a cookie to symbolize their 'eating the enemy', and what better way than making it look like a crescent.

Now, this is quiet different, than dedicating an altar in Mecca to Mercury worship,
because despite how destructive it may seem - throwing stones at it is its way of practice.

Last edited:
muslims worship islam

Islam means submission...

if a Muslim kid is made to celebrate Christmas,
visit the Church to "eat the flesh and drink the blood"
even without understanding a thing, to whom does he submit?

Its Greatest God. Stoning the devil is just a ritual.

The Identity of the pre-Islamic Allah [Part 1]
041.037 Among His Signs are the Night and the Day, and the Sun and the Moon.Do not prostrate to the sun and the moon, but prostrate to Allah, Who created them, if it is Him ye wish to serve. So the Quran explicitly forbids the Muslims from worshiping the moon, as well as the sun, and it goes on to clearly state that Allah, created the moon!

Islam means submission...

if a Muslim kid is made to celebrate Christmas,
visit the Church to "eat the flesh and drink the blood"
even without understanding a thing, to whom does he submit?

Muslims strive to submit to the will of God. Christians do the same thing. That's why we pray "Thy will be done".

Wuallq seriously...?!? :disbelief:

Veil for women - check.
Rope for gays - check.

Shiny stones for...

Last edited:
Indeed, and the Tefillin is the Hebrew version of Pharaoh's royal crown,
and we eat lamb to commemorate how slaves abused Egypt into submission.

Let's take another example - do You know how Croissant came into existence?
When the Muslims were stopped at the gates of Vienna, the Viennese made up a cookie to symbolize their 'eating the enemy', and what better way than making it look like a crescent.

Now, this is quiet different, than dedicating an altar in Mecca to Mercury worship,
because despite how destructive it may seem - throwing stones at it is its way of practice.
Also the design of the Ark of the Covenant is Egyptian

Also the design of the Ark of the Covenant is Egyptian

And made of Egyptian gold.

The point is what you do with it,
half of it went into the Tabernacle,
another shuttered to powder to drink it.

Here they've dedicated a specific altar in Mecca
to practice idol worship in its exact intended manner.

Last edited:
rylah

Most Bedouin tribes in antiquity carried their gods from place to place in a box on a litter. Usually it contained a meteorite or a piece of a meteor.

I think it's also commonly known
Ka'aba itself was worshiped as idol.

But the question is specifically regarding
the practice of worship of Mercury in Mecca today.

Last edited:

No surprise since Hiram built Solomon's Temple. To repay him Solomon gave him a bunch of towns in Samaria.

Phoenician Design of King Solomon's Temple
phoenicia.org/temple.html
It would not be a far-fetched suggestion to say that Solomon's Temple of Jerusalem was a copy of Melqart's Temple of Tyre. Because of the splendor it occupied in their mind, it is understandable that the Phoenician builders must have used Melqart's Temple as a prototype for designing and building Solomon's Temple.

I think it's also commonly known
Ka'aba itself was worshiped as idol.

But the question is specifically regarding
today's worship practice of Mercury in Mecca.

The story goes that Muhammed destroyed all the icons except the one for the Virgin Mary.

In The Name Of Allah - Muhammad & Ka'ba Idols
inthenameofallah.org/Muhammad & Ka'ba Idols.html
When Muhammad finally conquered Mecca in 631 AD, he allegedly entered the Ka'ba and destroyed the 360 idols in its precincts shouting " Falsehood is destroyed, truth prevails". This story is an allegory of the destruction that Abraham brought upon the idols of his father's household.

No surprise since Hiram built Solomon's Temple. To repay him Solomon gave him a bunch of towns in Samaria.

Phoenician Design of King Solomon's Temple
phoenicia.org/temple.html
It would not be a far-fetched suggestion to say that Solomon's Temple of Jerusalem was a copy of Melqart's Temple of Tyre. Because of the splendor it occupied in their mind, it is understandable that the Phoenician builders must have used Melqart's Temple as a prototype for designing and building Solomon's Temple.

Again, you're confusing design with practice.

Even though Ka'aba was made an idol before Islam,
I wouldn't ask if they didn't perform idol worship rituals there today.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back