Quote for the day

"I know lying is wrong, but if the elephant man came in now in a blouse with some make up on, and said 'how do I look?' Would you say, bearing in mind he's depressed and has respiratory problems, would you say 'go and take that blusher off you mis-shapened elephant tranny'? No. You'd say 'You look nice... John'" ~ Alan Partridge.

1235980_617382958285278_1601726871_n.png

'Oh f***, not another elf!'

Hugo Dyson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Henry Victor Dyson Dyson (1896–1975), generally known as Hugo Dyson and who signed his writings H. V. D. Dyson, was an English academic and a member of the Inklings literary group. He was a committed Christian, and together with J.R.R. Tolkien, he helped persuade C.S. Lewis to convert to Christianity.[1]
Dyson taught English at the University of Reading from 1924 until obtaining a fellowship with Merton College, Oxford in 1945. He retired in 1963 but returned as emeritus fellow in 1969, teaching the newly-introduced "modern" literature paper. His tutorials were memorable because many of the writers discussed had been personal friends of his.
Dyson was not a prolific writer, but the good quality and voluminous quantity of his lectures and general conversation had quite an effect on people. He much preferred talk at Inklings meetings to readings and is recorded by fellow Inkling Christopher Tolkien as "lying on the couch, and lolling and shouting and saying, 'Oh f***, not another elf!'[a]" during The Lord of the Rings.[3] Dyson was not alone in his distaste for Tolkien's stories, and eventually Tolkien quit reading from them to the group altogether. Actually, it seems from the letters of C.S. Lewis that Dyson was considered the most fun-loving of the Inklings, and Warnie Lewis liked him best of all

When a wise man talks to a fool, two fools are talking.

Hell shared with a sage is better than paradise with a fool.

- Some Jew

"Do your best in all you do - not because the task is worth it, but because you are."

The desire to control externally births from a loss of control internally.

-unknown :)

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde, The Happy Prince and Other Stories

Forum List

Back