Race and the Juvenile Justice System

It's not a matter of intelligence, but a matter of the environment in which they are raised, and the instinct of survival.

They're raised by dumb black parents. That's the environment. But something had to have started it (genetics) and there has to be a reason why it has not stopped (also genetics).

Naawww, my stupid ass bro in law was white enough and dumb enough to BRAG to the police about his Weed grow operation.. Just went in yesterday for 11 more months. Stupidity ain't it...

Was he a liberal? Liberals tend to be pretty stupid, even the white ones.

In any case, don't be obtuse. You know it's about statistics, not about your "stupid ass bro."

I'm not sure what you want. The numbers don't lie. The majority of juveniles that are incarcerated come from low income families.

I want you to understand the difference between correlation and causation.
Correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation. On the other hand there is a considerable body of evidence correlating crime and poverty irregardless of race.
Strange that other cultures move up out of the ghetto within a couple of generations.

What's the difference?

The other cultures didn't allow the state to subvert their faith and their culture. They weren't convinced to let the state take over the job of parenting. They weren't targeted by social engineering *programs* that brainwashed, aborted, and *educated* the culture right out of their population.

Read my thread in Race just posted. A lot of other cultures were not SEGREGATED by Govt policy and edict into separate communities as POLICY and LAW. Asians largely were not forcibly segregated by neighborhoods. Neither were Mexicans and other "hispanics" for that matter. Your govt was the ARCHITECT of most of the Black American Ghettos and those boundaries exist to this day. Tho not by law.
Progressive policies segregate blacks. I know, that's my point. They have these programs for blacks only, or which target blacks. That is segregation. Public housing developments were for black people.

That's not what he is saying. He's saying out of the housing developments, Blacks were the only racial group to get segregated into their own housing.

:rolleyes-41:

Anyone can have children, but being a good parent and a good human being is learned, not instinct. If parents are missing in the equation and the children do not have good role models, then they don't learn morals and behaviors that people from good families in good living conditions do. That isn't genetic, that's from social interactions.
So why aren't they good parents? Is that whitey's fault?

Anyone can have children, but being a good parent and a good human being is learned, not instinct. If parents are missing in the equation and the children do not have good role models, then they don't learn morals and behaviors that people from good families in good living conditions do. That isn't genetic, that's from social interactions.
Because the state has taken over parenting for them.

How can you be a good parent if you didn't have a good parent of your own to show you how to be one?

If I asked you to go bake a quiche for me and no one ever showed you how to do it, do you think you could?...

It's a cycle.

Because the state has taken over parenting for them.
What do you mean "taken over?" They just bust down doors in the negrohood and take kids away from their excellent black parents and fambly members?

How can you be a good parent if you didn't have a good parent of your own to show you how to be one?

If I asked you to go bake a quiche for me and no one ever showed you how to do it, do you think you could?...

It's a cycle.
A cycle that had to start somewhere. And there has to be a reason why it's not ending despite all the liberal efforts.

It's a cycle.
A cycle that had to start somewhere. And there has to be a reason why it's not ending despite all the liberal efforts.

Yeah... it had to start somewhere... where in the world could it have started??? Well let me see, could it have started in the 60's and before then? Could it have continued with the war on drugs and the high percentage of Blacks that get jail time for drug offenses compared to other racial groups?

flacaltenn a point that needs to be made within your argument is, studies show that Black juveniles are given harsher, longer punishments than other racial groups who are arrested for the same crimes.

Lets stop this madness right here.

• Of all juveniles (persons under the age of 18) arrested in 2015, 62.9 percent were White, 33.9 percent were Black or African American, and 3.1 percent were of other races.
So are we going to argue this using the same shoddy math that we do for everything else when it comes to race?

The OP states that 44 percent of all arrests were on African American juveniles. Who were the other 56 percent? And so then why if whites are the majority arrested is 67 percent of juvenile facilities occupied by blacks? Given the history of the criminal justice system in this country and blacks let's not start pretending that suddenly now race doesn't play a role in this. This is the problem with discussions like this. We focus on the percentages of blacks, ignore the greater percentage of whites and then use an excuse to make the smaller number represent the larger problem. That's garbage. African American youth were 15 percent of juvenile population at the time of this study. So how many numerically were there? If there are 2 million black youth and 20,000 are arrested for crimes that's one percent of he black juvenile population which will equal less than 15 percent of the overall juvenile population.

This is another problem with this argument. You guys will say look, they are 15 percent of he youth population and are arrested almost 3 times the rate of their total population, yet when the actual numbers happen you find out that it is 0.005 percent of the overall population that has been arrested.

• Of all juveniles (persons under the age of 18) arrested in 2015, 62.9 percent were White, 33.9 percent were Black or African American, and 3.1 percent were of other races.
So are we going to argue this using the same shoddy math that we do for everything else when it comes to race?

The OP states that 44 percent of all arrests were on African American juveniles. Who were the other 56 percent? And so then why if whites are the majority arrested is 67 percent of juvenile facilities occupied by blacks? Given the history of the criminal justice system in this country and blacks let's not start pretending that suddenly now race doesn't play a role in this. This is the problem with discussions like this. We focus on the percentages of blacks, ignore the greater percentage of whites and then use an excuse to make the smaller number represent the larger problem. That's garbage. African American youth were 15 percent of juvenile population at the time of this study. So how many numerically were there? If there are 2 million black youth and 20,000 are arrested for crimes that's one percent of he black juvenile population which will equal less than 15 percent of the overall juvenile population.

This is another problem with this argument. You guys will say look, they are 15 percent of he youth population and are arrested almost 3 times the rate of their total population, yet when the actual numbers happen you find out that it is 0.005 percent of the overall population that has been arrested.

You know when you quote stats and information from a source you are supposed to provide a link to cite the source?

You know when you quote stats and information from a source you are supposed to provide a link to cite the source?

Table 43

It's not a matter of intelligence, but a matter of the environment in which they are raised, and the instinct of survival.

They're raised by dumb black parents. That's the environment. But something had to have started it (genetics) and there has to be a reason why it has not stopped (also genetics).

Naawww, my stupid ass bro in law was white enough and dumb enough to BRAG to the police about his Weed grow operation.. Just went in yesterday for 11 more months. Stupidity ain't it...

Was he a liberal? Liberals tend to be pretty stupid, even the white ones.

In any case, don't be obtuse. You know it's about statistics, not about your "stupid ass bro."

I'm not sure what you want. The numbers don't lie. The majority of juveniles that are incarcerated come from low income families.

I want you to understand the difference between correlation and causation.

Then show us these genes.
Nobody knows exactly what parts of the DNA lead to less intelligence just as we don't yet know precisely how many diseases and disorders come about.

Human behavior is extremely complicated and heavily influenced by environment and culture. You are depending on broad brush stereotypes for one, and ignoring what doesn't fit your bias such as the many successful law abiding African Americans which you seem to say are they way because they are part white. The truth is, race is an artificial CULTURAL construct. Some one is " black" with one drop of "black" blood. In this country race has a complicated social history.

You make the case that it is genetics but can't come up with any evidence to support your case. None.

Who says they aren't?

I lived half my life in an area with both white and black, worked in an area where many of my coworkers were black. They were middle class, educated professionals.

I currently live in a state that is by far very white. We have a huge opioids epidemic. My sister in law was in jail multiple times and finally died of an overdose. She had four children from four fathers.

Not sure what genetics has to do with this.

So which is it...a racial bias or individual behavior or both?

Background -- Race as a Factor in Juvenile Arrests

Some observers argue that the justice system is biased against minority offenders (the race-related selection bias perspective). With regard to juvenile justice, these observers often point to the fact that African American youth are more likely to be arrested than other youth. In 1997, for example, 44 percent of juvenile arrests for violent crimes involved African American youth, although African Americans represented only 15 percent of the national juvenile population at the time (Snyder, 1998). In 1997, minorities accounted for 67 percent of juveniles committed to public facilities nationwide—nearly twice their representation in the juvenile population (Snyder and Sickmund, 1999). In addition, national data show that minority juvenile offenders are more likely than white non-Hispanic offenders to be placed in public (rather than private) custodial facilities (Snyder and Sickmund, 1999).

Other observers argue that, although there are some exceptions, overall the justice system is fair and treats offenders similarly regardless of their race or ethnicity (Wilbanks, 1987). These observers usually note that, unfortunately, minority youth are committing most of the crime and are thus “doing most of the time.” They point to crime-generating conditions such as underemployment, poverty, lack of opportunity, family dysfunction, and other structural factors (see, for example, McCord, 1997; Pope, 1999). Snyder and Sickmund (1999) note that minority youth may be overrepresented within the juvenile justice system because of behavioral and legal factors (e.g., more extensive offense histories)—what can be called the behavioral-legal perspective.

Thus, one perspective focuses on the operation of juvenile justice systems while the other focuses on the behavior of individual juveniles who commit crime. Which perspective is correct? This is a difficult question to answer, and the truth may never be known with absolute certainty. There is research evidence to support both perspectives (see Lovell and Pope, 1991), and the answer may well be a combination of the two, depending on where and how the research is conducted.

Family dysfunction is mostly code for Illegitimacy.

I guess the JApanese were TEMPORARILY REALLY forcibly segregated during the war.
The Irish were also segregated. I think Italians and the Poles were as well.
Not to the same degree and not by law.

My point is these little programs you hold so tightly to are the laws that keep them segregated. When you separate out a population for *special* programs and *special* housing and *special* classes, you're segregating the.

It's a cycle.

There's TV and the library. There's ALWAYS a way when there's a will..

The other factor is that marriage is underutilized by ALL fractions of the community. Shacking up is a cultural norm.. The only difference is --- the decision to produce offspring. And I'm not channeling Charles Murray here and the Progressive line. I'm just saying that there must be INCENTIVES to produce those babies because science fixed that problem years ago.. For about $18 a month at WalMart.. It's a CHOICE. But I SENSE there's an economic angle here to it that involves Govt.....

Table 43

Do you have a version of that controls for economic class of the parents for juveniles? I still need to look for that.

It's a cycle.

There's TV and the library. There's ALWAYS a way when there's a will..

The other factor is that marriage is underutilized by ALL fractions of the community. Shacking up is a cultural norm.. The only difference is --- the decision to produce offspring. And I'm not channeling Charles Murray here and the Progressive line. I'm just saying that there must be INCENTIVES to produce those babies because science fixed that problem years ago.. For about $18 a month at WalMart.. It's a CHOICE. But I SENSE there's an economic angle here to it that involves Govt.....

Just like when it comes to a career, book knowledge doesn't equate to real life training. A library or a TV will NEVER be a suitable replacement to being raised in a stable home environment. I'm really surprised you just made that statement!

Do you think Black youth should have learned to be good parents through watching the Cosby Show? lmao

Forum List

Back