Race and the Juvenile Justice System

Lets stop this madness right here.

• Of all juveniles (persons under the age of 18) arrested in 2015, 62.9 percent were White, 33.9 percent were Black or African American, and 3.1 percent were of other races.
So are we going to argue this using the same shoddy math that we do for everything else when it comes to race?

The OP states that 44 percent of all arrests were on African American juveniles. Who were the other 56 percent? And so then why if whites are the majority arrested is 67 percent of juvenile facilities occupied by blacks? Given the history of the criminal justice system in this country and blacks let's not start pretending that suddenly now race doesn't play a role in this. This is the problem with discussions like this. We focus on the percentages of blacks, ignore the greater percentage of whites and then use an excuse to make the smaller number represent the larger problem. That's garbage. African American youth were 15 percent of juvenile population at the time of this study. So how many numerically were there? If there are 2 million black youth and 20,000 are arrested for crimes that's one percent of he black juvenile population which will equal less than 15 percent of the overall juvenile population.

This is another problem with this argument. You guys will say look, they are 15 percent of he youth population and are arrested almost 3 times the rate of their total population, yet when the actual numbers happen you find out that it is 0.005 percent of the overall population that has been arrested.

You know when you quote stats and information from a source you are supposed to provide a link to cite the source?

Table 43

Do you have a version of that controls for economic class of the parents for juveniles? I still need to look for that.

The UCR can be good for some things, but it is certainly far from perfect. For one thing it only includes arrests. It doesn't include convictions and sentences. It also only includes stats that are shared from agencies... which all agencies don't share their stats. It also only includes reported crime, not ALL crime.

So which is it...a racial bias or individual behavior or both?

Background -- Race as a Factor in Juvenile Arrests

Some observers argue that the justice system is biased against minority offenders (the race-related selection bias perspective). With regard to juvenile justice, these observers often point to the fact that African American youth are more likely to be arrested than other youth. In 1997, for example, 44 percent of juvenile arrests for violent crimes involved African American youth, although African Americans represented only 15 percent of the national juvenile population at the time (Snyder, 1998). In 1997, minorities accounted for 67 percent of juveniles committed to public facilities nationwide—nearly twice their representation in the juvenile population (Snyder and Sickmund, 1999). In addition, national data show that minority juvenile offenders are more likely than white non-Hispanic offenders to be placed in public (rather than private) custodial facilities (Snyder and Sickmund, 1999).

Other observers argue that, although there are some exceptions, overall the justice system is fair and treats offenders similarly regardless of their race or ethnicity (Wilbanks, 1987). These observers usually note that, unfortunately, minority youth are committing most of the crime and are thus “doing most of the time.” They point to crime-generating conditions such as underemployment, poverty, lack of opportunity, family dysfunction, and other structural factors (see, for example, McCord, 1997; Pope, 1999). Snyder and Sickmund (1999) note that minority youth may be overrepresented within the juvenile justice system because of behavioral and legal factors (e.g., more extensive offense histories)—what can be called the behavioral-legal perspective.

Thus, one perspective focuses on the operation of juvenile justice systems while the other focuses on the behavior of individual juveniles who commit crime. Which perspective is correct? This is a difficult question to answer, and the truth may never be known with absolute certainty. There is research evidence to support both perspectives (see Lovell and Pope, 1991), and the answer may well be a combination of the two, depending on where and how the research is conducted.

Why are you using statistics/studies from the 1990s?

:rolleyes-41:

Anyone can have children, but being a good parent and a good human being is learned, not instinct. If parents are missing in the equation and the children do not have good role models, then they don't learn morals and behaviors that people from good families in good living conditions do. That isn't genetic, that's from social interactions.
So why aren't they good parents? Is that whitey's fault?

How can you be a good parent if you didn't have a good parent of your own to show you how to be one?

If I asked you to go bake a quiche for me and no one ever showed you how to do it, do you think you could?...

It's a cycle.

There's TV and the library. There's ALWAYS a way when there's a will..

The other factor is that marriage is underutilized by ALL fractions of the community. Shacking up is a cultural norm.. The only difference is --- the decision to produce offspring. And I'm not channeling Charles Murray here and the Progressive line. I'm just saying that there must be INCENTIVES to produce those babies because science fixed that problem years ago.. For about $18 a month at WalMart.. It's a CHOICE. But I SENSE there's an economic angle here to it that involves Govt.....

Just like when it comes to a career, book knowledge doesn't equate to real life training. A library or a TV will NEVER be a suitable replacement to being raised in a stable home environment. I'm really surprised you just made that statement!

Do you think Black youth should have learned to be good parents through watching the Cosby Show? lmao

The Cosby Show WOULD be a far better influence than anything else on TV..

Teachers have more time with the kids than the parents do. What are THEIR resources for normalizing cultural perceptions? Working AGAINST the dysfunction that they might go back home to every night? Don't tell me teachers aren't dealing with this. I got an Aunt/Uncle retired from 40 yrs of Principal duty at the worst schools in the Bronx/Brooklyn. Uncle MADE ME sit in on classes when I was a pre-teen just to "culturally adjust" me to what he deals with every day. It had a huge impact on me.

So those "little experiences" with HUGE effects work in REVERSE as well..

Anyone can have children, but being a good parent and a good human being is learned, not instinct. If parents are missing in the equation and the children do not have good role models, then they don't learn morals and behaviors that people from good families in good living conditions do. That isn't genetic, that's from social interactions.

How can you be a good parent if you didn't have a good parent of your own to show you how to be one?

If I asked you to go bake a quiche for me and no one ever showed you how to do it, do you think you could?...

It's a cycle.

The other factor is that marriage is underutilized by ALL fractions of the community. Shacking up is a cultural norm.. The only difference is --- the decision to produce offspring. And I'm not channeling Charles Murray here and the Progressive line. I'm just saying that there must be INCENTIVES to produce those babies because science fixed that problem years ago.. For about $18 a month at WalMart.. It's a CHOICE. But I SENSE there's an economic angle here to it that involves Govt.....

Just like when it comes to a career, book knowledge doesn't equate to real life training. A library or a TV will NEVER be a suitable replacement to being raised in a stable home environment. I'm really surprised you just made that statement!

Do you think Black youth should have learned to be good parents through watching the Cosby Show? lmao

Teachers have more time with the kids than the parents do. What are THEIR resources for normalizing cultural perceptions? Working AGAINST the dysfunction that they might go back home to every night? Don't tell me teachers aren't dealing with this. I got an Aunt/Uncle retired from 40 yrs of Principal duty at the worst schools in the Bronx/Brooklyn. Uncle MADE ME sit in on classes when I was a pre-teen just to "culturally adjust" me to what he deals with every day. It had a huge impact on me.

The government doesn't provide incentives to teachers to teach in the worst parts of town for nothing. It's because they are the worst schools with the worst conditions, getting the least amounts of financial help.

Man... the Cosby Show is a TV show, it isn't going to teach a kid how to be a good parent, especially when they are visiting their dad in prison once a week or so, and their role model is the richest guy in the neighborhood who is selling drugs.

• Of all juveniles (persons under the age of 18) arrested in 2015, 62.9 percent were White, 33.9 percent were Black or African American, and 3.1 percent were of other races.
So are we going to argue this using the same shoddy math that we do for everything else when it comes to race?

The OP states that 44 percent of all arrests were on African American juveniles. Who were the other 56 percent? And so then why if whites are the majority arrested is 67 percent of juvenile facilities occupied by blacks? Given the history of the criminal justice system in this country and blacks let's not start pretending that suddenly now race doesn't play a role in this. This is the problem with discussions like this. We focus on the percentages of blacks, ignore the greater percentage of whites and then use an excuse to make the smaller number represent the larger problem. That's garbage. African American youth were 15 percent of juvenile population at the time of this study. So how many numerically were there? If there are 2 million black youth and 20,000 are arrested for crimes that's one percent of he black juvenile population which will equal less than 15 percent of the overall juvenile population.

This is another problem with this argument. You guys will say look, they are 15 percent of he youth population and are arrested almost 3 times the rate of their total population, yet when the actual numbers happen you find out that it is 0.005 percent of the overall population that has been arrested.

You know when you quote stats and information from a source you are supposed to provide a link to cite the source?

Table 43

Do you have a version of that controls for economic class of the parents for juveniles? I still need to look for that.

Why? We need to stop the white judgement upon black families that is occuring in here.

Table 43

The UCR can be good for some things, but it is certainly far from perfect. For one thing it only includes arrests. It doesn't include convictions and sentences. It also only includes stats that are shared from agencies... which all agencies don't share their stats. It also only includes reported crime, not ALL crime.

Since the OP started with arrests, then the UCR is what we should use.. .

It's a cycle.

The government doesn't provide incentives to teachers to teach in the worst parts of town for nothing. It's because they are the worst schools with the worst conditions, getting the least amounts of financial help.

Man... the Cosby Show is a TV show, it isn't going to teach a kid how to be a good parent, especially when they are visiting their dad in prison once a week or so, and their role model is the richest guy in the neighborhood who is selling drugs.

Lets drop this stereotype of black communities.

It's a cycle.

It's not a stereotype. It's a fact. The government also gives incentives for teachers to teach in poor WHITE rural areas, but that doesn't change what I stated.

Table 43

Since the OP started with arrests, then the UCR is what we should use.. .

The OP also mentions the "time" done, thus having to do with convictions.

It's a cycle.
A cycle that had to start somewhere. And there has to be a reason why it's not ending despite all the liberal efforts.

Yeah... it had to start somewhere... where in the world could it have started??? Well let me see, could it have started in the 60's and before then? Could it have continued with the war on drugs and the high percentage of Blacks that get jail time for drug offenses compared to other racial groups?
So whose fault was it for using and dealing drugs? Whitey's?

It's not a stereotype. It's a fact. The government also gives incentives for teachers to teach in poor WHITE rural areas, but that doesn't change what I stated.

It is a stereotype that black kids are all vising their fathers in prison and they all worship the richest guy in the hood who happens to be a drug dealer. Most black boys, father at home or not, look to role models like Obama, Lebron, Odell Beckham Jr.,etc. Not the supposed rich guy who sells drugs. The majority of black men are not in prison less than 5 percent are. A lot of them are not married and don't have kids. I think we need a more well rounded picture of he black community than what's being presented here.

It's a cycle.
A cycle that had to start somewhere. And there has to be a reason why it's not ending despite all the liberal efforts.

Yeah... it had to start somewhere... where in the world could it have started??? Well let me see, could it have started in the 60's and before then? Could it have continued with the war on drugs and the high percentage of Blacks that get jail time for drug offenses compared to other racial groups?

Who controls the manufacturing, shipment and distribution of drugs in this nation?

Whitey.

It's a cycle.

You aren't paying attention are you? White youth who deal drugs get convicted less often, receive shorter sentences, and are given less harsh penalties.

It is a stereotype that black kids are all vising their fathers in prison and they all worship the richest guy in the hood who happens to be a drug dealer. Most black boys, father at home or not, look to role models like Obama, Lebron, Odell Beckham Jr.,etc. Not the supposed rich guy who sells drugs. The majority of black men are not in prison less than 5 percent are. A lot of them are not married and don't have kids. I think we need a more well rounded picture of he black community than what's being presented here.

Care to show stats on all that? I don't know who you are, nor where your education on this topic come from, but myself my degree is in Criminal Justice and have studied this topic. And also worked in a state prison for 5 years.

Who controls the manufacturing, shipment and distribution of drugs in this nation?

Whitey.
Blacks just can't take responsibility for anything.

Does whitey force the negro to buy, use, and deal the drugs?

It's a cycle.

You aren't paying attention are you? White youth who deal drugs get convicted less often, receive shorter sentences, and are given less harsh penalties.
Where are the stats for that?

It's a cycle.

How many links do you want?

Racial Disparity in Sentencing

Racial Inequality in Youth Sentencing

Looking at one of them:

One out of every 8 African-American youth who are convicted of killing someone will be sentenced to life without parole, however this is only the case for one out of every 13 white youth convicted of murder.

...and? Obviously there's leeway given to judges as to how to sentence someone if the other 7 blacks didn't get life. How do we know the whites faced the same evidence and circumstances?

Statistics indicate that blacks are dumber criminals than whites. Maybe they're dumber when it comes to murder, too.

Looking at one of them:

One out of every 8 African-American youth who are convicted of killing someone will be sentenced to life without parole, however this is only the case for one out of every 13 white youth convicted of murder.

...and? Obviously there's leeway given to judges as to how to sentence someone if the other 7 blacks didn't get life. How do we know the whites faced the same evidence and circumstances?

Statistics indicate that blacks are dumber criminals than whites. Maybe they're dumber when it comes to murder, too.

They do? You sure like to quote statistics a lot without providing any. The only statistic here that is 100% accurate is that you are a racist troll in this thread.

Forum List

Back