Racist groups vs Free Speech, i've converted...

Half of the confederate monuments were put up in the heyday of Jim Crow period. When you ignore them, they do not lose interest and they do not go away - they breed and multiply.

The early Jim Crow period was also right around the time many of the veterans from the war were dying off, it was when the Union memorials also were going up.

Many of these are from the 1890's to the 1920's which puts the youngest (15 in 1865) vets around 45 to 75 years old.
So confederate vets were heros post war and then memorialized after they died... I don't see how that is a counter arguement to the accusation that their memorialization was a fuck you to Washington and the equality efforts of that time. We saw the post war protests for decades after the war through Jim Crow, the hanging of the confederate flag, and memorials like these! Is plain as day obvious.

With that said, the story and context needs to be considered for each situation. A blanket policy to rip down all confederate monuments is not a smart approach. For example, I've heard compelling arguments about General Lee who was more than just a confederate General. He played a big roll in unifying the nation after the war, and was actually an advocate NOT to erect confederate statues. His story has more historical context than a Jefferson Davis or other general who was pretty much only known as a confedrate war general.

It comes down to how the community wants to represent their values and history through the symbolism and memorials in their cities. This can evolve in time

The whole concept after the war was to re-join the country. If allowing the former confederates to honor their dead and their failed leaders was part of that, then it was a small price to pay. To tear down the monuments to that process all of a sudden because of butt hurt is an affront to that process.

If people want to put signs up by each memorial explaining why they suck that's fine, but tearing them down because of the bitchy mewling of a bunch of spoiled asshole kids is crazy.
Maybe it was effective for the transition after the war or after the war vets died but we are way beyond that now. Nothing wrong with moving on and honoring figures that better represent the values of our country and our people if that is their will. You also can't deny that many of these symbols had the intent of rebelling against the government and served as reminders to blacks that they are not accepted as equals. If that's determined to be the case don't you think it makes sense to removes those from the public arena?

I don't see them as symbols of "putting the black man down". They are part of history and our collective past. To just remove them on a whim because of butt hurt shows the decline of our society.
Remove them on a whim? Why do you inject these little falsehoods? There has been debate about specific statues in specific communities for months now. Would you concede the point that the confederate flag was a divisive symbol and that's why Nikki Haley, Trump, and many other Americans supported taking it down?

The early Jim Crow period was also right around the time many of the veterans from the war were dying off, it was when the Union memorials also were going up.

Many of these are from the 1890's to the 1920's which puts the youngest (15 in 1865) vets around 45 to 75 years old.
So confederate vets were heros post war and then memorialized after they died... I don't see how that is a counter arguement to the accusation that their memorialization was a fuck you to Washington and the equality efforts of that time. We saw the post war protests for decades after the war through Jim Crow, the hanging of the confederate flag, and memorials like these! Is plain as day obvious.

With that said, the story and context needs to be considered for each situation. A blanket policy to rip down all confederate monuments is not a smart approach. For example, I've heard compelling arguments about General Lee who was more than just a confederate General. He played a big roll in unifying the nation after the war, and was actually an advocate NOT to erect confederate statues. His story has more historical context than a Jefferson Davis or other general who was pretty much only known as a confedrate war general.

It comes down to how the community wants to represent their values and history through the symbolism and memorials in their cities. This can evolve in time

The whole concept after the war was to re-join the country. If allowing the former confederates to honor their dead and their failed leaders was part of that, then it was a small price to pay. To tear down the monuments to that process all of a sudden because of butt hurt is an affront to that process.

If people want to put signs up by each memorial explaining why they suck that's fine, but tearing them down because of the bitchy mewling of a bunch of spoiled asshole kids is crazy.
Maybe it was effective for the transition after the war or after the war vets died but we are way beyond that now. Nothing wrong with moving on and honoring figures that better represent the values of our country and our people if that is their will. You also can't deny that many of these symbols had the intent of rebelling against the government and served as reminders to blacks that they are not accepted as equals. If that's determined to be the case don't you think it makes sense to removes those from the public arena?

I don't see them as symbols of "putting the black man down". They are part of history and our collective past. To just remove them on a whim because of butt hurt shows the decline of our society.
Remove them on a whim? Why do you inject these little falsehoods? There has been debate about specific statues in specific communities for months now. Would you concede the point that the confederate flag was a divisive symbol and that's why Nikki Haley, Trump, and many other Americans supported taking it down?

Statues up for over a century being pulled down after a few months of butt hurt is a "whim".

There is a difference between a flag on a capitol building and a monument to the dead that has been there 4x as long as most of the butt hurt protesters have been alive.

You notice I don't bitch about the battle flag, don't you?

What should be done is the stars and bars should be flown randomly around. Most of the morons protesting this stuff don't know that was the actual confederate flag.

Statues up for over a century being pulled down after a few months of butt hurt is a "whim".

There is a difference between a flag on a capitol building and a monument to the dead that has been there 4x as long as most of the butt hurt protesters have been alive.

What should be done is the stars and bars should be flown randomly around. Most of the morons protesting this stuff don't know that was the actual confederate flag.
You didn't answer my question Marty: Would you concede the point that the confederate flag was a divisive symbol and that's why Nikki Haley, Trump, and many other Americans supported taking it down?

You didn't answer my question Marty: Would you concede the point that the confederate flag was a divisive symbol and that's why Nikki Haley, Trump, and many other Americans supported taking it down?

I can be taken as a divisive symbol by SOME people.

And now I have a question for you, should the most easily offended people in our society get to decide what is shown in public or not?

Hitler statutes can be a divisive symbol for some people.

For others it is just part of history and memorializing their fellow fallen brotheren.

And now I have a question for you, should the most easily offended people in our society get to decide what is shown in public or not?

Their voices should be heard and considered. I'd hope our people could be open minded and sympathetic and make the right call given the situation and not always respond by telling them to toughen up.

I watch Dukes of Hazard when I was a kid and I love cars. The General Lee was the car they drove in that show, if you don't know it... And it had a big confederate flag painted on the roof. I never thought twice about it. For me it was just a bad ass car. But when I got older, I learned about the civil war, the confederacy, and most importantly the effects that still persist today in the south with racism towards blacks. I learned about Jim Crow and I heard with my own ears the thickness of modern day racism in the south. It isn't something that died decades ago. When hateful people lean on these symbols from the past to represent and empower their hate and racism then I no longer have tolerance for them. When I see a black person stare at the ground as the pass under a confederate flag or a statue of a glorified confederate general, I just know that something wrong is happening.

Their voices should be heard and considered. I'd hope our people could be open minded and sympathetic and make the right call given the situation and not always respond by telling them to toughen up.

I watch Dukes of Hazard when I was a kid and I love cars. The General Lee was the car they drove in that show, if you don't know it... And it had a big confederate flag painted on the roof. I never thought twice about it. For me it was just a bad ass car. But when I got older, I learned about the civil war, the confederacy, and most importantly the effects that still persist today in the south with racism towards blacks. I learned about Jim Crow and I heard with my own ears the thickness of modern day racism in the south. It isn't something that died decades ago. When hateful people lean on these symbols from the past to represent and empower their hate and racism then I no longer have tolerance for them. When I see a black person stare at the ground as the pass under a confederate flag or a statue of a glorified confederate general, I just know that something wrong is happening.

They can be heard and considered, but for some reason they get all butt hurt when after this their positions are rejected.

People need to man up a bit and stop being such pussies.

They can be heard and considered, but for some reason they get all butt hurt when after this their positions are rejected.

Wow, big surprise that you would say that. There are always going to be the overdramatic that keep pushing. Just like there will always be the hard headed "tough" guys that won't give an inch. The vast majority of this country lives in the middle and is capable of reasonable debate and decision making. How about we focus on those and stop bitching about the wingnuts to try and make our points stronger and demonize everybody that sympathizes with elements of that side.

Wow, big surprise that you would say that. There are always going to be the overdramatic that keep pushing. Just like there will always be the hard headed "tough" guys that won't give an inch. The vast majority of this country lives in the middle and is capable of reasonable debate and decision making. How about we focus on those and stop bitching about the wingnuts to try and make our points stronger and demonize everybody that sympathizes with elements of that side.

I'm sorry but to me it's the truth. People complain that this offends, them, that offends them, this person won't bake a cake for them, this guy's microaggression has upset me, that girl is fat shaming that other girl, then that woman feels shamed by other women because she lost her baby belly in 3 weeks by working out just as hard as she did before she got pregnant. Everyone is offended, all the time. It used to be the purview of the social right to get butt hurt over things on TV or radio or said in the town square, Now the Left has taken over the puritanical need to never see anything that offends them,ever. And if they do, god help the person responsible because some government agency will be on your ass so fast the fine will leave a burn mark.

I'm sorry but to me it's the truth. People complain that this offends, them, that offends them, this person won't bake a cake for them, this guy's microaggression has upset me, that girl is fat shaming that other girl, then that woman feels shamed by other women because she lost her baby belly in 3 weeks by working out just as hard as she did before she got pregnant. Everyone is offended, all the time. It used to be the purview of the social right to get butt hurt over things on TV or radio or said in the town square, Now the Left has taken over the puritanical need to never see anything that offends them,ever. And if they do, god help the person responsible because some government agency will be on your ass so fast the fine will leave a burn mark.
I beg to differ on your TV arguement. TV shows are worse than I've ever seen. Graphic violence, sexual scene and language is much less senators and much more grotesque than I ever remember seeing

The leftists pretending to be rightists getting angry is nothing new, they've been against Trump since the beginning. The leftists whining is also nothing new. No, what I want you to prove is that the "vast majority of the nation" is up in arms over Trump pointing out ANTIFA is also in the wrong.

phl45.jpg
You think corker is a leftist pretending to be a rightist? Really? Care to explain why?
You're clearly deflecting because you can't prove that the vast majority of the nation holds your view.
Oh, that's the part you were talking about? So you conceded that accomplished business men and congressional allies of Trumps feel that way? Great! There are a ton of polls that show the public approval of how Trump handled the situation at below 30%. I assume you are going to say all polls are fake and run by leftist scum. If you can name a poll that you think is reputable then we can look at that and I'm sure it will prove my point. But if not then I'll concede that point as there is no other way of proving it besides just using common sense.

If they feel that way, they aren't allies. Just like if they back ANTIFA, they're not rightists. ANTIFA are thugs, and deserve to be treated like thugs. You only only think they should be treated separately from the white supremacists because they're admitted leftists, and your kind assume the white supremacists are right wing.

I'm sure the polls are just as accurate as they were during the election. They interview whoever they want, and only accept the opinions they want.
Not everybody is a puppet excusist to the leader like you appear to be. There were plenty of political allies to Trump that recognized that he fucked up. Just because they spoke out against it l, that doesn't make them a leftist. That's about the dumbest logic I've heard today.

Before I address you ANTIFA comment I have to ask if you know the name of the main Nazi and white supremacists groups that were protesting and who aggravated all the violence in charlottsville? Please respond by posting the names of those groups
There's a difference between being a puppet and supporting a terrorist organization because of pressure from the left.

It's hard to recognize a screw-up that didn't occur. He called out ANTIFA because they deserved to be called out. They were there to cause trouble, and thus shouldn't have been there at all.

ANTIFA caused all of the violence, as they showed up specifically to harass the protestors who had permits, because they had views different from their own.

I know the Knights Party was there, the American Nazi Party, Neo-Confederates, and Traditional Workers party. To my knowledge, and I'm not actually sure if this number is accurate, the combined number was roughly 50.

You think corker is a leftist pretending to be a rightist? Really? Care to explain why?
You're clearly deflecting because you can't prove that the vast majority of the nation holds your view.
Oh, that's the part you were talking about? So you conceded that accomplished business men and congressional allies of Trumps feel that way? Great! There are a ton of polls that show the public approval of how Trump handled the situation at below 30%. I assume you are going to say all polls are fake and run by leftist scum. If you can name a poll that you think is reputable then we can look at that and I'm sure it will prove my point. But if not then I'll concede that point as there is no other way of proving it besides just using common sense.

If they feel that way, they aren't allies. Just like if they back ANTIFA, they're not rightists. ANTIFA are thugs, and deserve to be treated like thugs. You only only think they should be treated separately from the white supremacists because they're admitted leftists, and your kind assume the white supremacists are right wing.

I'm sure the polls are just as accurate as they were during the election. They interview whoever they want, and only accept the opinions they want.
Not everybody is a puppet excusist to the leader like you appear to be. There were plenty of political allies to Trump that recognized that he fucked up. Just because they spoke out against it l, that doesn't make them a leftist. That's about the dumbest logic I've heard today.

Before I address you ANTIFA comment I have to ask if you know the name of the main Nazi and white supremacists groups that were protesting and who aggravated all the violence in charlottsville? Please respond by posting the names of those groups
There's a difference between being a puppet and supporting a terrorist organization because of pressure from the left.

It's hard to recognize a screw-up that didn't occur. He called out ANTIFA because they deserved to be called out. They were there to cause trouble, and thus shouldn't have been there at all.

ANTIFA caused all of the violence, as they showed up specifically to harass the protestors who had permits, because they had views different from their own.

I know the Knights Party was there, the American Nazi Party, Neo-Confederates, and Traditional Workers party. To my knowledge, and I'm not actually sure if this number is accurate, the combined number was roughly 50.
Listen to yourself, you can't even get the facts straight. ANTIFA caused all the violence? Except of course the mowing down of downs of people and the murder of an innocent girl of course. You forgot about that little fact.

ANTIFA sucks, they are no good and from my limited knowledge of them I've only seen anarchist destruction and violence which is not the right way to protest. That can be said and it can also be said that the way trump handled his response was a complete fumble. If you were fair minded and weren't playing puppet then you would see that.

Listen to yourself, you can't even get the facts straight. ANTIFA caused all the violence? Except of course the mowing down of downs of people and the murder of an innocent girl of course. You forgot about that little fact.

ANTIFA sucks, they are no good and from my limited knowledge of them I've only seen anarchist destruction and violence which is not the right way to protest. That can be said and it can also be said that the way trump handled his response was a complete fumble. If you were fair minded and weren't playing puppet then you would see that.
Of course ANTIFA caused the violence, they shouldn't have shown up to shut down another protest in the first place. They were there for a fight.

Yes, they do. How was it a fumble? What do you disagree with about his speech? Probably simply the fact that your leftist buddies were lumped together with the other thugs, where they should be, and the fact that Donald Trump was the one making the speech.

Of course ANTIFA caused the violence, they shouldn't have shown up to shut down another protest in the first place. They were there for a fight.

Yes, they do. How was it a fumble? What do you disagree with about his speech? Probably simply the fact that your leftist buddies were lumped together with the other thugs, where they should be, and the fact that Donald Trump was the one making the speech.
Both were there to fight and provoke. You obviously don't have a good handle on the events that happened nor do you have an objective viewpoint on Trumps speech when he minimized the condemnation of those hate groups. You don't seem to be aware of the shuttering reaction that it sent through the nation. You simply point blame at "leftists" without really looking at the people that reacted critically, many of whom were supporters of Trump that could objectively call him out on reacting inappropriately. Your immaturity and bias is very apparent.

I beg to differ on your TV arguement. TV shows are worse than I've ever seen. Graphic violence, sexual scene and language is much less senators and much more grotesque than I ever remember seeing

The thing is the right has pretty much given up on changing that via legislative action, judicial action, or bullying government in general to go after it. They met the 1st amendment and the amendment won.

My point is that today's progressive has more in common with those moral majority idiots from the 80's than classical liberals, and ironically more in common with Bull Connor than MLK.

The thing is the right has pretty much given up on changing that via legislative action, judicial action, or bullying government in general to go after it. They met the 1st amendment and the amendment won.

My point is that today's progressive has more in common with those moral majority idiots from the 80's than classical liberals, and ironically more in common with Bull Connor than MLK.
You complain the the left is overly sensitive and offended by everything but are also responsible for the uncensored offensive crap that is on TV. How does that logic work?

You complain the the left is overly sensitive and offended by everything but are also responsible for the uncensored offensive crap that is on TV. How does that logic work?

Like real logic should with truth, not your stupid fantasy and conjecture. I don't find them overly sensitive at all I find them conniving, intimidating, extortionist with no morals ACTUALLY a complete lack of honor, character and morals. In other words they are just leftist murdering unpatriotic thieving scum. there are many of you in this forum.

Both were there to fight and provoke. You obviously don't have a good handle on the events that happened nor do you have an objective viewpoint on Trumps speech when he minimized the condemnation of those hate groups. You don't seem to be aware of the shuttering reaction that it sent through the nation. You simply point blame at "leftists" without really looking at the people that reacted critically, many of whom were supporters of Trump that could objectively call him out on reacting inappropriately. Your immaturity and bias is very apparent.
He did NOT minimize hate groups ---- in fact, he included ALL of them - from both sides.

Like real logic should with truth, not your stupid fantasy and conjecture. I don't find them overly sensitive at all I find them conniving, intimidating, extortionist with no morals ACTUALLY a complete lack of honor, character and morals. In other words they are just leftist murdering unpatriotic thieving scum. there are many of you in this forum.
Oh good then the term snowflake is BS. Glad we got that sorted out

I am not blaming anyone for what's on TV. I love violent shows like Game of Thrones. If I ever have kids and I don't want them to watch it, it's up to me to figure it out.

I am comparing the old Moral Majority to today's progressives with regards to their tactics and their almost dogmatic demand that everyone like what they like, or at least do what they want to do hidden somewhere in a closet (ironic, no?)

Forum List

Back